You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Grandorf

I have noticed a trend.

30 comments in this topic

[YEEET]
Players
237 posts
4,238 battles

Hi

Lately there has been an annoying increase in DDs. Many campaigns et.c. 

Its starting to level back from 4-5 DDs each team to the normal 1-3. 

This has left a pool of dedicated DD players who are uneven. Usually players 

blame the CV or toptier BB when a game goes really bad. 

I have noticed lately that it actually is the DDs that make or brake the game. 

Many times one teams DDs can kill 7-8 ships while the other teams DDs 

accomplish nothing. 

I would say that 2 good DDs outplays any CV or toptier BBs any day. 

My opinion is that your team is only as good as your DDs.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[CATS]
Players
13,686 posts
10,389 battles

Look at the WR of DDs and other ship types. That totally contradicts your point.

More facts, less guessing.

• Cool 3

[YEEET]
Players
237 posts
4,238 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Look at the WR of DDs and other ship types. That totally contradicts your point.

Im not guessing here. I have made notes. 

Better DD play gets the wins. (I dont play much DDs myself).

[YEEET]
Players
237 posts
4,238 battles

Its like uneven CVs. If you have 1 Saipan on each team and only 

one of them are good he totally rules the skies.

Players
748 posts
11,447 battles
Just now, ColonelPete said:

Mirrored MM, try again.

And to the OP, any good player in any ship contribute to the victory, a good DD can push caps but can be countered by a good cruiser who help his DDs, who can be countered by a good BB getting close and deleting said cruiser. All of them can be countered by CVs, also BB hard counter DDs with regular pens...

Just do your job and yu will be rewarded, not in every game but in the long run.

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
13,686 posts
10,389 battles
6 minutes ago, Grandorf said:

Its like uneven CVs. If you have 1 Saipan on each team and only 

one of them are good he totally rules the skies.

Better players are better than worse players! What an insight!

That applies to all classes.

• Funny 1

[YEEET]
Players
237 posts
4,238 battles
Just now, ColonelPete said:

Better players are better than worse players! What an insight!

That applies to all classes.

Not this time, Lets take 3 BBs on each team. If 1 is really good that 

team might not win anyhow. Hell, even 2 good BBs can lose the game.

On the other hand, take 3 DDs each team and if 1 is good he can carry 

the whole game. If 2 on 1 team is good, thats devastating.

Players
3,455 posts
7,229 battles
23 minutes ago, Grandorf said:

Lately there has been an annoying increase in DDs.

Warships Today, games played last week:

T10 - 3 out of top 5 are BB, Shima top (not by much), Gearing trails in 5th place;

T9 - 3/5 BB, Fletcher + Yugomo 3rd + 4th

T8 - 4/6 BB, Kagero 4th, Benson 7th - more Bismarck/Tirpitz games than all DD combined.

T7 - 4/6 BB, Akatsuki 2nd, LM 7th, 

where is this increase exactly?

• Cool 1

Players
1,366 posts
14,182 battles

It depends on the MM, DDs can't solo carry all the time. Battles with more than 3 DDs, CVs and radar + BB AP are a DD's nightmare. Top tier BBs aren't blamed for being top tier BBs, usually they play way too passively using their cruisers and DDs as meat shields. It's easy to get out of position with a BB that's why most of them suck. CVs are blamed by people who never played a CV themselves and think you can be everywhere with 8 squadrons within 2 seconds.

I don't see a trend of DDs being the ultimate class to decide battles. The trend I see is a player base that is bad or just doesn't care and that is getting worse every day.

If you would like to know which class to play to carry most games it's an easy answer: Learn how to play carriers and get to superunicum levels.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
760 posts
4,585 battles

The problem for DDs is that there isn't always a balance in numbers let alone types (gun boats and torp boats) and tiers of DDs.

A CV player can make a DDs game hell simply by putting aircraft overhead - DDs don't have the AA to get rid of them so they either need to go away and seek AA cover from team mates or hope that the friendly CV gives them cover.  In a domination game when this happens DDs either can't cap or they get taken out while trying to do so.

There is also lack of support for DDs that are capping.  Quite often teams will go and hide behind islands in such a way that they can't shoot at what the DD spots in front of them (because the island is in the way).

While a DD can take on CA and BBs that are several tiers higher then them this doesn't always work out well against DDs that are two tiers higher - especially when in an IJN DD vs a gun boat.

DD play has been messed with even more by the introduction of Pan Asian DDs and the DWT that comes with them.

I've also been in games where the enemy team has an Altlanta and a Belfast and there are no radar ships on the team I am on.

Beta Tester
3,678 posts
12,877 battles
1 hour ago, Grandorf said:

Wow... took you quite a while to notice a trend, that has been in game since the Beta.. :cap_haloween:

[CATS]
Players
13,686 posts
10,389 battles
1 hour ago, Grandorf said:

One DD cannot carry a team all the time, the same as a BB.

I have carried teams to victory in DD, BB and cruisers.

I have lost while carrying the team (outscoring the second best by at least 50% and being top 3 of the whole match) in DD, BB and cruisers.

If one ship were more dominant, you would see it in the server WR. You do not.

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
3,913 posts
16,276 battles

The biggest impact on a game still belongs to the CVs. A 60+% winrate CV against a 40+% one means the game was decided before starting.

[DMAS]
Beta Tester
303 posts
2,214 battles

3 hours ago, Grandorf said:

Too much BB, Cruiser pop go down, DD have less threat, DD pop increase.

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,842 posts
3,714 battles

I mean DDs are more important because (often) all the BBs are camping the backline while cruisers are terrified of getting oneshotted, so someone has to push and get caps so I am not surprised that DDs have a lot of influence. DDs are almost always the most foreward ships by a quite a distance. A Des Memes that puts pressure on a cap can have a tremendous influence on the outcome of the game, but the thread of BBs tends to keep cruisers away from open cap circles.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,894 posts
11,303 battles

WoWS is a game that panders to BBs yet CVs and DDs hold battles in their hands yeah... 

Unfortunately both are often unrewarding as you can win in both and finish mid table on XP even though you've spotted, torp area denied, killed the right ship and capped etc but the low risk BB at the back gets the Lion's share of XP gains.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,122 posts
11,295 battles

The only problem with DDs and games is their matchmaking algorithm, namely:

1) DD's are not balanced by sub-class (gunboat/no stealth vs torpedoboat/stealth)

2) DD's are not balanced by tier if not top tier (VIII's vs VII's can happen in a tier IX game)

3) Amount of radar ships on each team not balanced at all

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,571 posts
6,401 battles
5 hours ago, Grandorf said:

Its starting to level back from 4-5 DDs each team to the normal 1-3. 

I mean, PA DDs were just released, I'd expect DD numbers to jump up, altho currently at mid tiers (like 5 & 6) not higher :cap_yes:

Players
1,709 posts
9,658 battles

I think different classes affect the game at different timing. For example, DDs are more influential at the start and end of the game due to their stealth. A team with a  DD that survive till end game compared to the other that does not, have a higher chance of winning through capping or stopping the opposing side's points. CVs can be said to be good all game, but it really depends on how much and what type of planes are left end game. Having planes to spot the enemy DD capping your base is useless if you don't have any strike planes and the nearest friendly is 10+ km away. BBs and CAs I would say are good at influencing early to mid game. CAs with radar and hydro can influence late game well but again, it depends on their positioning. If they're far away then having those utilities is kinda useless anyway.

Just my thoughts on how the different classes influence the game. I mean you can have those steamroll games where the whole team pushes and just wreck the other team.  Anything can happen in WoWs tbh :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[EST]
[EST]
Players
701 posts
17,415 battles
12 hours ago, Grandorf said:

My opinion is: Your DD can be as good as he wants, but if it doesn't get team's support it can't win for you.

• Cool 4

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,126 posts
2,202 battles
15 hours ago, Grandorf said:

If the DD plays the objectives, caps and his team start building points. to the magic 1000 point winning line, well done to him for playing the battle mode objectives. 

More fool the enemy team for not realizing that you don't always have to kill the entire enemy team to win a battle, holding cap zones, or preventing the enemy from holding them is just as important.

• Cool 1

Players
961 posts
4,863 battles

Well, as a quite good dd player myself I don't think so. Yes I can carry to a certain extend, but team setup really dictates how the match will go. In t7 and 8 dds that rely on torps have a hard time, since most bbs are maneuverable. Cvs can have a massive influence, as does cruiser support. Sure,  250kish games with 3 kills in the Shima occur quite regularly, but that is also due to a lot of players not paying attention. 

So no. Dds have great cap influence, but in terms of damage they average dead last. 

Players
350 posts
3,426 battles

More dds per game are good only when you are a cruiser or a cv (since there are 5 bb and 5 dd, cruiser are always screwed though)

When i play DD, i hate 5 dd per side (dd is my worst played class though, so i may be a little biased).

Players
961 posts
4,863 battles
1 hour ago, Favuz said:

When i play DD, i hate 5 dd per side (dd is my worst played class though, so i may be a little biased).

Nope. That sucks for all since spotting gets divided and friendly torps may screw up yours. It results in too much knife fighting with too little support. Everyone would benefit from a 3dd per team hard cap (except cruisers maybe).

• Cool 1