Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mangrey

German 11inch. cannons

21 comments in this topic

Beta Tester, Players
628 posts
11,988 battles

Hey 

The 11 inch. really need a boost... most 8inch.  are way better in pene, reload and spread

the two ships where sold as cruiser hunters, but in fact most othere ships will sink graf spee easy

Scharnhorst is abit harder to sink but it struggle to damage BBs(as it suppose to) and Cruisers with the high spread and long fuse in APs it mostly over pene same and lower tir Cruisers it cant pene higher onces. 

Some changes to the shells would be nice, I Dont mind the bad spread but the overpene on the low tirs and bounce and none pens on higher onces.

Mang

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[CATS]
Players
13,643 posts
10,385 battles

Scharnhorst is fine. I am always suprised how much damage her AP does to BB.

Spees problem is the low fire rate with only six guns. Vs cruisers she can land devasting hits.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
2,691 posts
9,853 battles

Scharnhorst rewards careful aiming, a 9 gun broadside into a BBs superstructure every 20s is an equal to other ship's broadsides at tier.

Graf Spee is a different beast, she rewards knowing when to use all of her consumables and weapons. A good player in a Spee is a nightmare to the enemy, as he can heal, wreck cruisers, ambush BBs with great torps (the angles are incredible), and the weakness against DDs can be mitigated with secondaries and hydro. But an average player will have a bad time in this ship.

PS: At tier 6 the Graf Spee is the best cruiser by win rate and avg. damage.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,881 posts
11,299 battles

OP needs to get closer....

Scharnhorst guns perform pretty much like any other BB gun at 10km or less.

I smell a BB sniper maybe? :Smile_hiding:

Spee is somewhat sucky as you only get 6 guns and poor armour. Fun to play now and again but not all that competitive. 

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
2,691 posts
9,853 battles
8 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Spee is somewhat sucky

Spee needs a 19p captain to really shine, even a 10p captain is not enough to cover every base.

[HMSR]
Players
1,630 posts
5,864 battles

If Sharny would get a boost to her accuracy she would be a bit OP, i think both Spee and Scharnhorst are verry goos ships (i suck in mine but that's my ltp issue :Smile_teethhappy:

Spee played right can downright murder cruisers and give big headakes to BB's, Scharnhorst is juts a perfect blend of armor, gun power, shes got good secondaries, if someone wants to hug she has her fish, ive seen one too many times a good Scharnhorst devestate a team. :Smile_Default:

Weekend Tester
769 posts
3,524 battles

The Scharnhorst is one of the best ships pound-for-pound in the game, its guns will never get the sort of 'real' BB volleys that its peers will but that doesn't matter one bit. The combination of rate of fire, secondaries, speed and torpedoes just make it an absolute beast in close-mid range combat, the only area it suffers is the one which it should never find itself in which is long range sniping.

Graf Spee never really did it for me though, unlike the Scharnhorst I just didn't find it to be a platform to adequately make the guns work. Still not bad though.

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,998 battles

The Spees problem is primarily lack of DPM and low gun count. Having a potentially high salvo does not really matter so much if the accuracy is still wonky and if you fail to do significant damage you can and often will be in a lot of trouble since you just can't retaliate fast enough.

But apart from the rate of fire and low shell count, there is nothing wrong per se with the guns. When the Spee gets in a midrange position and you get a standard battle where you have the time to fire multiple salvoes it can rack up som nice numbers.

[_MIA_]
Players
2,913 posts
5,350 battles
2 hours ago, Aragathor said:

Spee needs a 19p captain to really shine, even a 10p captain is not enough to cover every base.

For me Graf Spee works best in division. GrafSpee + some other Cruiser (Leander f.e.), makes a good combo. U have protection vs DDs (which the graf spee has probs dealing with), can kill Cruisers fast and can engage BBs better despite having not so awesome armor, but still better than other Cruiser.

Usually im cursing a lot when i used to play the GrafSpee, even when my results werent bad... but the low number of guns with bad reload just can be frustrating sometimes. Every salvo has to count!

[BABBY]
Players
241 posts
5,841 battles

Scharn is simply awesome. I'm using the Aiming Systems Mod on all German BBs except Bismarck with good results because secondaries are overrated IMO. Spee is subject to heavy RNG like all the other ships with low barrel count and that's what makes her painful at times.

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,967 posts
5,449 battles

Scharnhorst works like a charm.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
620 posts
5,677 battles

Scharnhorst is an excellent brawler and will surprise almost anything with its damage dealing at close range. She was my first premium when I didn't understand how KM BBs worked but when it clicked...

She was also the first ship in which I realised that lobbing HE when you know you don't have a hope of penning someone (at above brawling range for BBs) was viable.

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles

The only thing I don't understand of Graf Spee and Scharnhorst guns is... same caliber, same HE shells... but then Graf Spee has better AP shells than Scharnhorst. Hmmmmm.... :cap_hmm:

[_MIA_]
Players
2,913 posts
5,350 battles
11 minutes ago, SHDRKN4792 said:

The only thing I don't understand of Graf Spee and Scharnhorst guns is... same caliber, same HE shells... but then Graf Spee has better AP shells than Scharnhorst. Hmmmmm.... :cap_hmm:

I could only see it from a balancing point of view. Same reload but less guns.

[BYOB]
Players
2,691 posts
9,853 battles
13 minutes ago, SHDRKN4792 said:

1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

I could only see it from a balancing point of view. Same reload but less guns.

It is balancing as Scharnhorst had the improved 28cm SK C/34 gun, while the Spee had the older 28cm SK C/28.

[HAERT]
Players
2,026 posts

I enjoy the Scharnhorst and treat it a bit like a big cruiser, it's also one of the best looking ships in the game.

Graf Spee I find a bit meh, it plays OK, but there's nothing to make me like it very much and the reload with few guns makes it uninspiring. It's rather dull.

[BABBY]
Players
241 posts
5,841 battles
12 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

It is balancing as Scharnhorst had the improved 28cm SK C/34 gun, while the Spee had the older 28cm SK C/28.

That said, I think AGS would be more user friendly with weaker shells (6800-7000) and faster reload (~16s). At least the gameplay would be closer to heavy cruiser this way.

[BYOB]
Players
2,691 posts
9,853 battles
7 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

That said, I think AGS would be more user friendly with weaker shells (6800-7000) and faster reload (~16s). At least the gameplay would be closer to heavy cruiser this way.

The SK C/34 had a reload of 17s historically. But these were on the Scharnhorst.

I think the current compromise is ok, not great but still better than the alternatives.

Players
842 posts
8,386 battles
23 hours ago, Mangrey said:

Hey 

The 11 inch. really need a boost... most 8inch.  are way better in pene, reload and spread

This is false. The only 8" that comes close is that of the Zao, which just falls short of AGS pen numbers. SH is significantly better still. The only cruisers that can match and slightly surpass SH are Moskva and HenryIV, both with bigger calibers than 8". 

Sign in to follow this