You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
thewildgam3r

Lo Yangs wierd turret armour

10 comments in this topic

[CRAZY]
[CRAZY]
Players
31 posts
4,783 battles

Looking at my Yangs armour profile ingame I discovered that her X Turret (The elevated rear gun) has different armour to the other 3. It has 1mm of turret roof armour? The other turrets have 20mm roofs. This turret has the same armour at the front rear and sides but not the roof :/ Very strange

Also the Pan Asia tier 8 and 9 DDs have 3mm armour turrets even though they are supposed to be US DDs originally?

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,263 posts
7,059 battles

It's the same thing on the Sims. Number 3 turret is not fully armored, the roof is a piece of cloth.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,291 posts
24,441 battles
28 minutes ago, NoirLotus said:

It's the same thing on the Sims. Number 3 turret is not fully armored, the roof is a piece of cloth.

It s good enough against seagull gnats.

[CRAZY]
[CRAZY]
Players
31 posts
4,783 battles
1 hour ago, NoirLotus said:

That does explain the turrets differing appearance :) I see the Fletcher eliminated this from its design. I wonder why the US Navy did this to the Sims and Benson class DDs? I shall investigate ^^

Edit: I found it on another forum. The lower mounted guns had armoured roofs to protect against the higher guns muzzle flash. Using fabric also saved weight.

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,263 posts
7,059 battles

Mainly for saving weight. Fletchers have wider hull and a much bigger displacement.

Sims & Benson are treaty designed DDs and so were limited to stay under 2000 tons displacement IIRC.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,944 posts
5,356 battles
6 minutes ago, jnadreth said:

That does explain the turrets differing appearance :) I see the Fletcher eliminated this from its design. I wonder why the US Navy did this to the Sims and Benson class DDs? I shall investigate ^^

Saves on topweight, something that's rather important on any ship, especially one as (relatively) small as a destroyer.

[CRAZY]
[CRAZY]
Players
31 posts
4,783 battles

Well that has cleared this all up for me :) Still the Pan Asian tier 8 and 9 having 3mm armour is a puzzle...but thats for another thread :) Thanks peeps

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,944 posts
5,356 battles
1 minute ago, jnadreth said:

Well that has cleared this all up for me :) Still the Pan Asian tier 8 and 9 having 3mm armour is a puzzle...but thats for another thread :) Thanks peeps

Actually I can partly resolve that puzzle for you right here and right now, if you're referring to their turret armor: The tier 8 is a Benson by a another name.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,798 posts
6,659 battles
11 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Saves on topweight, something that's rather important on any ship, especially one as (relatively) small as a destroyer.

Which is why the first 20 Hunt class DE's had to have their X turret removed, as a design error made the completed ship dangerously unstable.

(I have read that the first time they tried to mount the X turret that the ship heeled over.... red faces all around).

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,944 posts
5,356 battles
Just now, philjd said:

Which is why the first 20 Hunt class DE's had to have their X turret removed, as a design error made the completed ship dangerously unstable.

(I have read that the first time they tried to mount the X turret that the ship heeled over.... red faces all around).

Simply put they tried to squeeze the entire armament of a Black Swan onto a hull barely 2/3rds the displacement.

And with more powerfull machinery too.

Tbh, they should have known that was not going to work before hand, and fired whatever idiot that did both sets of calculations. Usually you had one person doing the calculations for topweight and stuff, then someone else double checking them by doing them again, in this case this apparently did not happen, and instead the first person copied himself (source: British DD's and Frigates, WW2 and after by Norman Friedman)