You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
PseudoMi

Should I skip Izumo ?

28 comments in this topic

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
891 posts
8,490 battles

It has accurate guns, turret 3 has problematic arcs though.

I guess many people would disagree, personally it is the only tier 9 I skipped with free xp after about 30 battles in it.

And it is the only tier 9 I have not kept.

Could have been wrong ...

* It is also a huge HE spamming magnet for the enemy team

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,428 posts
8,346 battles

Never liked her. Too damn weak against HE. Skip her defo. If you can ofc.

Beta Tester
1,650 posts
8,138 battles

No. Izumo teaches you how to angle properly while having most of the firepower in the front and only one awkward turret at the back. Exactly what you need for Yammi.

It is the only hightier BB line that can be citadelled reliably by aiming at certain parts of the armour.

I didn't spend a single free xp on this line and enjoyed my time with the Izumo. It also had my highest damage record for a long time until Missouri happened....

Only the weakness to HE is annoying but you can kill those cruisers even faster.

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Much of the Izumo's bad reputation comes from when she still had her old stock hull which came with incredibly bad AP shells.

Current Izumo isn't exactly the strongest of the tier IX BBs, but certainly not the worst depending on what you value (her guns for example perform so much better than those of the FdG) and is more than sufficient enough at her tier.

Plus her armour compared with the awkward third turret firing angle teaches you how to angle and tank in the Yamato.

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
16 minutes ago, aboomination said:

If you can't handle Izumo you probably won't have much fun with Yamato.

This is the only thing OP needs to know.

Zumo teaches you how to Yam.

I spend Free XP to get the better Hull. Don't waste it on the engines as they give you no extra speed and the range module isn't a rush either as sniping is for low skilled potatoes.

• Cool 2

[KTS]
Players
359 posts
6,145 battles

I unlocked her, waiting for  a 15% for the purchase (bought the Neptune in the meantime).

Other motivation is that i'm waiting for CV population to return as before last patch, because until i got C hull (100k xp) my AA is non existent.

I'd not buy B hull also (jsut unlock) because with B hull AA is still garbage and rudder shift is the same.

Players
607 posts
6,250 battles

I already have a few T10 thus I'm not new in angling. I am eager, of course, to get the Yamato and enjoy lolpenning everything with accuracy. I saw the Izumo having bad press and I checked, it's really the worst T9 by stats. Thus I'm oscillating between losing time, apparently not pleasant time, to grind it, or to get the Yammy right away, in fact in several days when big discounts will get online.

Anyway seeing its stats I'm wondering why WG never gave it some love.

[TVO]
Players
1,388 posts
8,714 battles
27 minutes ago, PseudoMi said:

I saw the Izumo having bad press and I checked, it's really the worst T9 by stats

this is probably because its  the only BB that relies heavily on the team.

you need to know how to position and stick with the team. you can angle in and tank against AP but HE is a different story.

so if your team abandons you and all u can do is reverse then the HE spammers are gonna have a good time.

[SCRUB]
Players
5,760 posts
14,436 battles
58 minutes ago, PseudoMi said:

I already have a few T10 thus I'm not new in angling. I am eager, of course, to get the Yamato and enjoy lolpenning everything with accuracy. I saw the Izumo having bad press and I checked, it's really the worst T9 by stats. Thus I'm oscillating between losing time, apparently not pleasant time, to grind it, or to get the Yammy right away, in fact in several days when big discounts will get online.

They gave her love. Also being worst doesn't mean much in this case

23h23h222232h.jpg

Lion isn't that far off and Missouri is on average played by more experienced players (and also is broken imo cause of her radar).

Players
748 posts
11,447 battles

If you skip Izumo also skip Yamato, imo they are not fun to play, one trick poney, huge bricks, everybody spams at you. I dont have fun on BBs after tier 8, too many snipah.

[STEG]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
206 posts
10,339 battles

I only use free XP occasionally to buy the modules, never to skip a ship. At least that is what I do nowadays. I just did the Baltimore grind from stock to fully upgraded. It went rather fast and painless, using some flags to speed up the process.

It seems that there is not much difference stats wise between the tier 9 BB's. If you skip the Izumo going straight for the Yamato you lose out of training, both captain wise, but also you as a player. And it costs a lot too. I would rather save up the free XP for the upcoming Musashi.

image.png.30a10791116c0623b6ad6b447cbfc3db.png

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
1 hour ago, PseudoMi said:

It's not about knowing to angle.

It's about knowing how to angle the ship differently. Izumo and Yamato are de facto the only remaining hightier BBs that can be citadeled reliably (everyone else either gets turtleback or low citadels which makes citadels against them rare) and those two's citadel armour shapes are different (Yamato's octagonal protection much more pronounced than the Izumo's) which makes them much more susceptible to citadel penetrations at angles you wouldn't expect.

Against AP shells that can't overmatch your bow it makes little difference tanking bow-on (duh) but as soon as you face a Yamato that can overmatch your bow, the standard of showing some more cheeks to is detrimental. In other BBs that means you angle the flat athwart ship armour, but in the Izumo and Yamato whose's citadel protection is shaped by default, it means you're actually softening the angle.

That said, Izumo is still a very solid BB. The gun ballistics are amazing (the shell velocity in particular is a nasty surprise to your enemies). Yes she's been powercreeped, but if that's a concern, then I have bad news regarding that Yamato.

Players
123 posts
8,544 battles

i played it w/ those xp bonus camos, so i could shorten the grind, it was not enjoyable. i would suggest you give it a go, especially fully upgraded and then see if you can manage her. you have to angle a lot and work with the team when playing against CVs because you'll be targeted by the planes. 

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,142 posts
8,949 battles

I played the Izumo ages ago (and the Yamato for that matter) but from what I can remember once you get rid of that god awful stockhull she is not halfbad. The guns are nice, punchy, accurate and the pen seems nice.

If I had the money I would maybe like to rebuy the Izumo, but I'm grinding to many lines at the moment.

Players
270 posts
18,184 battles

I had way more fun with Izumo than with e.g. Iowa or Friedrich. In fact, I am just training a new captain for the Izumo because the current one is going onto Yamato as soon as WG gives a small discount on T10 or at least equipment.

Would not skip it. But beware: it's a different playstyle

Players
2,387 posts
15,572 battles
3 hours ago, PseudoMi said:

All is in the title !

Of course not! You'd deprive yourself of being top tier in all TVII-VIII battles. :Smile_trollface:

Skip first hulls and give it a shot. If you still don't like it you can always free xp to Yamato, but I have the feeling you won't. :Smile_Default:

[SCRUB]
Players
3,820 posts
18,350 battles

Don't skip it.

It has very good guns imo, even though it sometimes is a real overpen-machine  :cap_old:

Players
607 posts
6,250 battles

Thanx for all the opinions, guys !

I will give it a try. Yamato2 (Musashi) is around the corner anyway thus no big hurry to get those 460s for 250+100k FreePex (almost half the price of the upcoming Yamato2). So, if you ever soon meet in game an Izumo heroically camping the border of the map, there are big chances that it will be me (say hello) :cap_haloween:

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

This thread is already a bit ran down, but here are my 2 cents for it:

Don't skip it, just play it correctly.

Your best chance generally is to play her as a bow-on 2x3 gun BB with a large and awkward secondary gun not a 3x3 BB. If you give your side  to enemies you can be citadelled by pretty much every BB you meet (not sure about Scharn & KGV), quite likely even some cruisers with better performing AP (like US CAs, but that still is just a guess). Stern is kind of weakly armoured aswell, but it still would give you a better chance than your side.

She's great when people are firing AP, especially bcuz of how small her superstructure is. Sadly right now in the spam HE meta she's getting crapped on a little too much, so you can't afford to play her too aggressively, at least not initially.

And as for upgrades - the engine upgrade while not giving you much in the terms of speed gives her engine quite a lot of "pushing power" making her acceleration way better than it originally is. Looks like a waste of time for whatever the speed increase was, but actually is useful.

Also her guns are accurate, and as all 3 are quite close initially (a.k.a. not spread out throughout the ship) their spread never really goes too wide. The barbettes are a little on the weak side, so expect the middle turret to get knocked out a lot

Weekend Tester
805 posts
4,465 battles

Everyone saying that the guns are accurate, I'm sat here wondering if I played the same Izumo! It's a T9 BB so it is a strong ship, but I found it to be one of the most frustrating and least enjoyable ships I've played, even if it did deliver surprisingly good results. As others have said though, you should tough it out and grind through it as it will give you valuable experience in the playstyle you'll need when you unlock the Yamato.