Jump to content
Liquiel

Ranger totally underpowered

33 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
3 posts
709 battles

Ok, I might not have the best stats.

But... the current Ranger is so underpowered...

here is why:

Your squadron has one fighter squad, with max 7 fighters.

Your enemies have two with 4 fighters. You will lose out against those fighters if your enemy knows how to strafe.

Your enemy has two torp fighters, and if it is the overpowered Kaga they have lots of torps.

You have only an advantage in bombers.

 

Here is what will happen everytime you go against a competent player:

The enemy uses their superior fighter position to block your attack aircraft.

If you escort your bombers the enemy will simply kill your escort and then kill your Ranger while your fighter is in cooldown. You can try to evade the torps and concentrate fire, but your AA isn't strong enough and you are too clumsy.

If you leave your fighter near to your own ships you can prevent those things most of the time, but now your attack aircraft will get shot down.

Either way, you are dead or you do nearly no damage, while the enemy will simply avoid your fighters and makes more damage.

And yes, my stats might not be the best. But I am losing way too many fights against those who don't have a Ranger then against those who do. Plus my stats are dropping.

With the new patch I have simply an insufficient number of fighters while still being stuck with one torpedo bomber, two dive bombers, AND horrible AA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DIKI]
Players
1,156 posts
295 battles

Sorry to say but it is ltp issue. 

 

Stop USA line now. 

 

Because untill t9 you just have 1 fighter and if you can not play in situationn not having figter superiority you will have hard time on t7-8. 

 

But good thing is that you can with 1 fighter squad do much of you play more careful and just use strafe. On klik fight you lose hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,238 posts
11,727 battles

1 fighter means that you have to play defensive vs IJN CVs or Saipan.

 

Biggest threat is being sniped as Kaga & Hiryu can both one shot you and Saipan can too if they're lucky/skilled. Ranger has no torp belt lel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3 posts
709 battles
28 minutes ago, veslingr said:

Sorry to say but it is ltp issue. 

 

Stop USA line now. 

 

Because untill t9 you just have 1 fighter and if you can not play in situationn not having figter superiority you will have hard time on t7-8. 

 

But good thing is that you can with 1 fighter squad do much of you play more careful and just use strafe. On klik fight you lose hard. 

The problem is not only not having fighter superiority. (and I use strafe, but 1 7 squad with strafe against 2 4 squads with strafe yeah...)

The problem is that my enemies have slightly better fighters, and almost equal attack aircraft. I cannot stop their attackers with just one fighter squad.

I AM careful, but that means less damage than the enemy, currently.

I would have no problem with losing fighter superiority if my enemies had much worse attack aircraft. They don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DIKI]
Players
1,156 posts
295 battles
4 minutes ago, Liquiel said:

The problem is not only not having fighter superiority. (and I use strafe, but 1 7 squad with strafe against 2 4 squads with strafe yeah...)

The problem is that my enemies have slightly better fighters, and almost equal attack aircraft. I cannot stop their attackers with just one fighter squad.

I AM careful, but that means less damage than the enemy, currently.

I would have no problem with losing fighter superiority if my enemies had much worse attack aircraft. They don't.

Well IJN has better ships. USA only on t 10 come close. And to win over IJN cv you need to outplay him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3 posts
709 battles
18 minutes ago, veslingr said:

Well IJN has better ships. USA only on t 10 come close. And to win over IJN cv you need to outplay him. 

Yeah... well... that is exactly the problem I have, no?

If you are doomed to lose against equally skilled players nearly all the time, then something is wrong. That is not a competence issue. It is a balance problem.

(Those carrier players who line up all their aircraft for me to strafe are no problem for me, of course. Or those who kill their aircraft by following my attack aircraft into allied AA)

And I can deal some damage even against equally skilled players(unless I play dumb). But even if I do equal damage my team will still lose as my enemy fighters can spot my team while my aircraft, well, can't do that constantly.

If you can't see that having less squads, slightly less fighter capability and slightly more damage capabilites is is imbalanced...

If it were the other way around(fighter superiority, worse damage capability BUT less squads) now that would be more balanced as you could be outplayed by the number of squads.

 

Edited by Liquiel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,497 posts
11,556 battles
Vor 45 Minuten, Liquiel sagte:

If you are doomed to lose against equally skilled players nearly all the time

The solution is to have more skill than the enemy, not the same :cap_old:

The Ranger squad is bigger, has more ammunition and a very strong strafe that lets you easily overpower any IJN CV.

Saipan is a little bit different, but with dogfighting expert and awareness when to strafe and when the enemy will strafe, even that is possible. 

 

But I do agree, that the fighter imbalance between different CVs is something I don't really like as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RAIN]
Community Contributor
906 posts
11,293 battles

Ranger is fine atm.

You have only one fighter group ,yeah but it s rly strong if you are patient.

Wait for some counter strafe if you meet a good opponent.

With the ranger you have more strike power than a hiryu.

 

Yeah the saipan can be a real trouble , but you can split your planes for more map control and some 1 vs 1 fighters .

 

So the ranger is weak ? Hum nop its something like one of the best US cv for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DIKI]
Players
1,156 posts
295 battles
2 hours ago, Liquiel said:

Yeah... well... that is exactly the problem I have, no?

If you are doomed to lose against equally skilled players nearly all the time, then something is wrong. That is not a competence issue. It is a balance problem.

(Those carrier players who line up all their aircraft for me to strafe are no problem for me, of course. Or those who kill their aircraft by following my attack aircraft into allied AA)

And I can deal some damage even against equally skilled players(unless I play dumb). But even if I do equal damage my team will still lose as my enemy fighters can spot my team while my aircraft, well, can't do that constantly.

If you can't see that having less squads, slightly less fighter capability and slightly more damage capabilites is is imbalanced...

If it were the other way around(fighter superiority, worse damage capability BUT less squads) now that would be more balanced as you could be outplayed by the number of squads.

 

Well yes USA had and still has problems with balance….basically CV without 2 TB is handicaped, because can not wit 100% sure hit dd while with 2 tb and good crosdrop dd will get atleast 1-2 torps.

 

IJN cv are perfectly build….and only 2-2-2 can compare with them……and as WG wants different flavor for lines nothing can or will be as good as IJN if they lose 2-2-2 for something else….offc if something (RN) gets 3-3-3 they will be better ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[FDUSH]
Players
1,157 posts
6,717 battles

The same thing happens with the Lexington. It's crap now. 1 X 7 fighter planes are no match for 2 X 5 (10) Shokaku fighters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RAIN]
Community Contributor
906 posts
11,293 battles
51 minutes ago, Sargento_YO said:

The same thing happens with the Lexington. It's crap now. 1 X 7 fighter planes are no match for 2 X 5 (10) Shokaku fighters.

:cap_fainting:... You can contest 10 IJN fighters with your 7 fighters.

Its just skill dependant .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DIKI]
Players
1,156 posts
295 battles
25 minutes ago, malimoo said:

:cap_fainting:... You can contest 10 IJN fighters with your 7 fighters.

Its just skill dependant .

 

well to be honest we know on "klik" fight his 10 will eat your 7..so on other side must be guys hwo can avoid your strafe which to be honest is easy and just klick you=win

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
140 posts
7,817 battles

Another CV player complaining about a class being underpowered that's designed to deal more damage than anything else while being hidden from anything else... Give me a break...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DIKI]
Players
1,156 posts
295 battles
11 minutes ago, Flipped_Out said:

Another CV player complaining about a class being underpowered that's designed to deal more damage than anything else while being hidden from anything else... Give me a break...

 

Problem with reading?

 

P.s.

Highest average dmg in game is not from cv but BBs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CLADS]
Players
151 posts
9,993 battles

Well I think it's fair to say that 1 fighter squad simply puts you in a disadvantage if you're fighting against an enemy with 2 or more squads. Even if you win the fight, you have no spare squad to defend your team. And the ranger doesnt have the strike power to make up for it so yeah I agree that it is one of the weaker US CV's but every line of ships have some bad ones in it, you just have to suck it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OMNI]
Players
97 posts
12,144 battles

Before the patch I tried all setups. I had high winrate in all of those, but the one it was more comfortable was the 1-1-1. why? it gave u some defense and a beefy strafe (in fact u could even do a head-on strafe, unlike on ijn cvs where u have to strafe slightly from behind, If he gives you a strafe from behind u can clean them up in 1 go). 1 torpedo squad was great against DDs (sure maybe u cant crossdrop) but if u lead good enough and come from a right angle you can land 1 or 2). And the dive bomber was actually great to Dot (very nasty when i would bomb first while keepin the torper hidden and 15s after he blew the rep get a flood(that though depended on AA. Idealy u wanna go on targets that blow their reps and strike them all-in (so enemy cv wont respond if he doesnt know where ur bombers are.)). My second best was 0-1-3. (once you get familiar with striking all-in, and Dotin when u can (if the cv left u you. Or striking at the same time with the cv, you could output more damage than anything on that tier. (i was reaching 200k on good battles, but had games with 0 especially up against saipan(very Op cv).

 

Now i hear it is 1-1-2 and u struggle?. That thing had great alpha strike on cvs. (sure it aint a kaga, but u can also bait with the fighter elsewhere from where u want to strike). He is likely to have both fighters to kill u, but if it catches u 2vs1 u strafe out (and meanwhile u bomb). To be honest the hiryu was the best cv to learn to play (if u could master it u can play with anything)

 

Oh and stay away from AP bombs in US line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WONLY]
Players
199 posts

Just started the us-cv line after i finished the ijn-line in my early wows-days and i think the Ranger is pretty good now. Use the huge reserves and the huge damage potential.  Yes, you will lose the "click-fight" vs both hiryu fighter-squadrons but you should never let that happen. Yes, one figher squadron is bad since you want to 1. spot 2. protect your strike 3. protect your fleet. That's why i prefer to use my fighters in this order. Just get more/better strikes in than your opponent and you should be fine.  A good saipan is a pain in the a** as usual...but that's the same for Hiryu/Kaga

 

ranger1.thumb.jpg.7f9227f58197a13ba0b40148972fc6cd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7 posts
2,564 battles

I don't really agree with you. 

Sure it can be annoying to lack a 2nd fighter unit but your fighters will chew through jap fighters anyway. 

 

That being said I readily admit to being a poor Ranger player. But that is due to my lack of skill not due to a flaw with the ship. 

 

I find the ship entertaining and I rarely consider the single fighter unit a real draw back. And the strike package in standard config is great for baiting BBs to use their repair prematurely and then see them flood after you send in your TBs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AAO]
Players
401 posts
7,155 battles

I went through the ranger and it was so easy to do well, your fighters will wipe out Saipans planes if caught.

 

Its cat & mouse game vs 2 fighter squadrons but most of times you will win.

75% win rate 3088PR 72k avrage Dmg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OSC]
Players
1,991 posts
11,664 battles
4 hours ago, Guillotine said:

I went through the ranger and it was so easy to do well, your fighters will wipe out Saipans planes if caught.

 

Its cat & mouse game vs 2 fighter squadrons but most of times you will win.

75% win rate 3088PR 72k avrage Dmg.

16 games....:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AAO]
Players
401 posts
7,155 battles
11 minutes ago, 15JG52Adler said:

16 games....:)

Yes but it has been alot easyer than hiryu ever was, i also skipped stock ship so theres reason why so few games.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OCTO]
Players
718 posts
15,637 battles

Oh great CV unicums, a humble CV noob is coming with a question.....

 

Guys, I need your advice. I have just finished Ranger grind (no FreeEXP - although tempted sooo many times). My Ranger WR is HORRIBLE, probably worst of all ships that I have played, but comparing it with server stats, I have higher damage and higher number of planes destroyed than server average. Also, lastly having very good games with it, but not enough to affect my average WR.

 

And yes, I do support my teams - I know what to do and I am a team player. Tempted to say that I really had a bad luck, but hey - we know how that arguments end. ;) 

 

So, I am asking your opinions on my options:

 

1. Admit that I am a CV noob and stay with Ranger and occasional game for fun?

2. Purchase Lexington and suck it up during bashing by IJN CVs and Enterprise?

3. Wait for the magical CV rework?

 

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,497 posts
11,556 battles
Vor 15 Minuten, Zen71_sniper sagte:

Oh great CV unicums, a humble CV noob is coming with a question.....

 

Guys, I need your advice. I have just finished Ranger grind (no FreeEXP - although tempted sooo many times). My Ranger WR is HORRIBLE, probably worst of all ships that I have played, but comparing it with server stats, I have higher damage and higher number of planes destroyed than server average. Also, lastly having very good games with it, but not enough to affect my average WR.

 

And yes, I do support my teams - I know what to do and I am a team player. Tempted to say that I really had a bad luck, but hey - we know how that arguments end. ;) 

 

So, I am asking your opinions on my options:

 

1. Admit that I am a CV noob and stay with Ranger and occasional game for fun?

2. Purchase Lexington and suck it up during bashing by IJN CVs and Enterprise?

3. Wait for the magical CV rework?

 

Thanks in advance!

4. Keep Ranger. Play it. Get better with it. Until you reach a recent winrate of at least 55%. Then you may progress.

Neither the Lexington nor the mysterious CV rework will probably save you ^^ But you shouldn't give up CVs either cause Midway awaits you.

 

Just to be sure: You know how to manual drop and strafe, right?

Next step: DOT abusing. Send one bomber, wait until the ship repairs the fires + duration of DCP (up to 20s depending on the ship) then attack him with torpedo bomber and second bomber. If he doesn't repair, send second bomber to another ship, wait there and torp him. And if that guy too doesn't repair, take torpedo alpha damage and repeat later ^^

If enemy CV is keeping an eye on you: Attack with one bomber on one side, let him send his fighters there and attack with other bomber and torpedo bomber on the other side. (Keep them out of vision range until you attack -> 8km)

Next step: To win, DDs are your main target. Best is to take them out, if that doesn't work permaspot and F3 them. Use dive bomber to spot if necessary.

 

Btw. how much skill points does your captain have and which skills did you get?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OCTO]
Players
718 posts
15,637 battles
3 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

4. Keep Ranger. Play it. Get better with it. Until you reach a recent winrate of at least 55%. Then you may progress.

Neither the Lexington nor the mysterious CV rework will probably save you ^^ But you shouldn't give up CVs either cause Midway awaits you.

 

Just to be sure: You know how to manual drop and strafe, right?

Next step: DOT abusing. Send one bomber, wait until the ship repairs the fires + duration of DCP (up to 20s depending on the ship) then attack him with torpedo bomber and second bomber. If he doesn't repair, send second bomber to another ship, wait there and torp him. And if that guy too doesn't repair, take torpedo alpha damage and repeat later ^^

If enemy CV is keeping an eye on you: Attack with one bomber on one side, let him send his fighters there and attack with other bomber and torpedo bomber on the other side. (Keep them out of vision range until you attack -> 8km)

Next step: To win, DDs are your main target. Best is to take them out, if that doesn't work permaspot and F3 them. Use dive bomber to spot if necessary.

 

Btw. how much skill points does your captain have and which skills did you get?

Thx for a quick answer, some good advice. I tend not to wait for DCP to stop (I do when I remember...), but go for all in one attack wave, will definitively pay more attention. Split the attack, try I will. :cap_like:

 

Here is some additional info.

 

Yes, I know how to strafe and manual drop, although with bombs is a bit more of a hit and miss. My previous CVs WR is Langley, 59% Bogue  52%, Independence 56% and then a nose dive to 38% with Ranger. With Saipan, I had above 52% and then one really bad weekend happened :cap_viking:, so it is now at 49%

 

I do try to spot all the time DDs and F3 them to the team, however, not all teams respond as they should. 

 

My captain skills is as follows: 1 pt ASE, 2pt TA, ERG, 3pt TAE. 4pt AS - 14 skills pts in total but have used only 12 so far. Is this a good skillset - I am planning to keep this captain for the rest of the line?

 

Once again, thx - anything else that you might think of ?

 

Regards! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester, Players
5,155 posts
3 minutes ago, Zen71_sniper said:

Thx for a quick answer, some good advice. I tend not to wait for DCP to stop (I do when I remember...), but go for all in one attack wave, will definitively pay more attention. Split the attack, try I will. :cap_like:

 

Here is some additional info.

 

Yes, I know how to strafe and manual drop, although with bombs is a bit more of a hit and miss. My previous CVs WR is Langley, 59% Bogue  52%, Independence 56% and then a nose dive to 38% with Ranger. With Saipan, I had above 52% and then one really bad weekend happened :cap_viking:, so it is now at 49%

 

I do try to spot all the time DDs and F3 them to the team, however, not all teams respond as they should. 

 

My captain skills is as follows: 1 pt ASE, 2pt TA, ERG, 3pt TAE. 4pt AS - 14 skills pts in total but have used only 12 so far. Is this a good skillset - I am planning to keep this captain for the rest of the line?

 

Once again, thx - anything else that you might think of ?

 

Regards! 

 

 

you could always ask me on chat^^ if needed

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×