Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Kenti

Question about dd dps

14 comments in this topic

Kenti   

Hello captains.

Was out in the kidd yesterday. Love the ship, but the ship doesnt love me back hehe. Need more practice with her. Anyway. In a match, i decided to rush a z23, tier 8 german dd. Was confident that my guns would outdps him at short range. However even with heal he just ate me up. Afterwards i thought maybe i had given too much broadside and he gave me ap shots in the side, and that was the case. But looking at postscreen i saw he only used HE. I still might have given him too much broadside though. Question: Is the dps of the z23 this high, or was it just some serious fail navigation on my part? :)

pra3y   

He probably aimed well or got lucky or you messed up. Lol it could be anything. Do you have any replay so that its easier to see how the showdown went? In the meantime enjoy the vid :fish_viking:

I have the Z-46 and the guns are pretty keen especially using AP against another Destroyer...  I would suggest though that perhaps you had some Lag because as far as I am aware the Kidd is a very tough ship and you don't take them on lightly.

Nechrom   

In this case it's less about the dps and more about the health difference. He has 2.8k health on you assuming you are using the same captain build.

Even still you should win a straight dps race with HE, so either he was more accurate or he was running Survivability Expert and you weren't.

Both the Kidd and Z-23 has 5 guns. You have almost exactly twice his rate of fire and he only has 22% higher damage per shell. So on paper you have quite a substantial advantage there. Plus you can further increase your RoF with BFT while he can't.

In practice the Z-23 will probably gain the upper hand past a certain range where he can more easily avoid the slower shells from the Kidd.

• Cool 1

Z23 DPM is trash, even with 150mm. I've almost grinded the Z46 and I won't be looking back.

Take SE captain skill and SI even if you want more healing. 

IMO even good gunboats shouldn't try to 1v1 other DDs unless you carry a big advantage in HP. Losing most of your HP to one enemy doesn't always help you further the team objectives.

T0byJug   
5 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Z23 DPM is trash, even with 150mm. I've almost grinded the Z46 and I won't be looking back.

Take SE captain skill and SI even if you want more healing. 

IMO even good gunboats shouldn't try to 1v1 other DDs unless you carry a big advantage in HP. Losing most of your HP to one enemy doesn't always help you further the team objectives.

I found the Z23 a pretty good boat.. But then again i Love the Ognavoi.......

@Kenti My hit ratio with guns on my Benson is 38% on my Z23 my HR is 49% Its easier to land your shots on target with a Z... It could be just a Simple case of he was hitting you more than you were hitting him. 

In fact looking through my German DDs they all have 47%+ hit ratio, all my USN DDs have around 10-15% less HR than there same tier German DD.. DPM is nothing if you cant hit your target

I usually find actually hitting the target to be the most significant factor in gun fights, rather than raw DPM or HP. I mean, last I was in a straight gun duel was with Shiratsuyu against an Akatsuki. Same tier, reasonably similar guns. Akatsuki has slightly higher DPM and HP (although I'm not sure that one runs SE or not; I do). I lost maybe a sixth of my health, sank my target. I was also under fire from one or two cruisers. Thing is, I was kiting and actively dodging shells, so I rarely got hit at all. DPM and HP means nothing if you can't land your shells.

DD vs DD has more to do with personal skill and support rather than anything else. 

I am not afraid to engage a Gearing with my z52 or Fletcher. Even though the Gearing should win. Skills can more than compensate to the raw dps. 

For example,  I managed to 1v1 a Kidd with my Kidd while only starting the fight at 10% hp and he was half health. 

Z-23 150 has a nasty broadside with 'rail gun' accuracy. The down side is very slow turrets, medium DPM and ******ing annoying range. (I'd give anything to buff the range from that pathetic 10.8km)

On average Z-23 can pump out 12,500 to 15,000 damage in 60 seconds. Kidd will do 16,000 to 20,000 in 60 seconds. Z-23 HP with SE = 22,300, Kidd HP without SE = 16,700. So, a good Z-23 player can easily sink a new Kidd player without outside interference.

Although that never happens, one BB savlo will wipe out 50% Z-23 HP before they can even spot the Kidd. :Smile-angry:

14 minutes ago, AnotherDuck said:

Thing is, I was kiting and actively dodging shells, so I rarely got hit at all. DPM and HP means nothing if you can't land your shells.

Yep, Akatsuki is terrible at chasing down other destroyers. 

5 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

I'd give anything to buff the range from that pathetic 10.8km

I actually liked the short range, didn't even upgrade.

Kill the enemy destroyer, drop off :cap_cool:

6 minutes ago, SeeteufeI said:

I actually liked the short range, didn't even upgrade.

Kill the enemy destroyer, drop off :cap_cool:

Z-23 is a terrible DD hunter though, pushing into a sub 6km ships like Kagero or Benson is often suicide.

But those 150mm cannons are amazing agasint tier 8+ CA/BBs with IFHE, it's a mini MK. You just can't shoot ships at 9-10km without getting deleted due to your size. Those rail guns need 12km+ to be really good.

8 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

Z-23 is a terrible DD hunter though, pushing into a sub 6km ships like Kagero or Benson is often suicide.

But those 150mm cannons are amazing agasint tier 8+ CA/BBs with IFHE, it's a mini MK. You just can't shoot ships at 9-10km without getting deleted due to your size. Those rail guns need 12km+ to be really good.

I used to play them as torpedoboats in first place. Chasing or pushing destroyers is indeed pretty dangerous (unless you push their smoke).

Kenti   

Thanks for a lot of constructive posts and feedback. Definitly need to improve on dd play. So much fun i overextend all the time :p Happy hunting out there!

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this