Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SHDRKN4792

Duke of York changes.

56 comments in this topic

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles

From the development blog.

ST, British battleship Duke of York, tier VII

Removed the "Defensive AA Fire" consumable. Added the "Repair Party" consumable with following stats: 28 seconds duration, 120 seconds cooldown, 2 charges (80 seconds cooldown, 3 charges for premium equipment). Changed stats of the "Damage Control Party" consumable: 15 seconds duration, 120 seconds cooldown (80 seconds cooldown for premium equipment). "Hydroacoustic Search" consumable's number of charges is decreased, its stats remain unchanged: 94 seconds duration, 4.2 km ship detection range, 2.97 km torpedo detection range, 180 seconds cooldown, 1 charge (120 seconds cooldown and 2 charges for premium equipment). Fire duration is increased from 30 to 60 seconds. Main battery reload time is increased from 25 to 29.5 seconds. Rudder shift time increased from 15 to 17.5 seconds. Sigma count is decreased from 2.05 to 1.8.

These changes make Duke of York's gameplay closer to classic battleships, while the addition of "Repair Party" allows for more aggressive combat.

Sounds like a bad KGV with hydro to me.

• Cool 1

[CAIN]
Players
4,515 posts
19,054 battles

Good change, the previous version was a pretty $hitty BB.

• Bad 1

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles
33 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Good change, the previous version was a pretty $hitty BB.

Yes, DoY without heal with that armor would be torched in any part of the ship by any cruiser with IFHE so no heal was bad. Def. AA wasn't needed at all so it's nice to see they decided to remove it.

What I don't understand is the sudden 29'5 seconds reload for 356 mm guns at T7. AP pen isn't that great with those guns when uptiered and it has worse dispersion now which just punish the use of AP even more.

It's like WG encourages the HE spam of those BBs...

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,650 posts
8,138 battles

Yes!

Now remove the last cruiser tool (HAS obviously) and slightly buff reload armour and dispersion again to compensate and it is a proper battleship again.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts

Indifferent KGV clone + Hydro.

If it's free to get I'll get it, but I'm not excited about it and I have Nelson for an RN BB trainer.

It was totally meh before without a heal and now just looks uninspiring with a relatively tedious gun reload.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,616 posts
42,650 battles

Even if it is a slightly different KGV clone much better than the first version, a BB should be played as a BB.

• Cool 2

[BLITZ]
Players
2,837 posts
11,209 battles

Am I missing something or is it now straight up worse than KGV? :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
28 minutes ago, SeeteufeI said:

I tend to think so, nothing about it makes me want to make monumental efforts to get it as it stands. I certainly won't be inclined to pay anything for it.

[BLITZ]
Players
2,837 posts
11,209 battles
2 minutes ago, NoirLotus said:

[...]BB[...]nerfed[...]

:Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2

Weekend Tester
805 posts
4,465 battles

Have we finally hit gimmick bedrock that even WG decided the initial implementation of the Duke of York was too silly?

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
6 minutes ago, rvfharrier said:

Have we finally hit gimmick bedrock that even WG decided the initial implementation of the Duke of York was too silly?

It wasn't so much silly as really, really badly conceived.

A battleship without a heal is useless. It's such a big target and slow to maneuver that it would just be a way to farm a trivially easy kill. Def AA isn't new to BB's either as Hood has it. The idea of taking an iconic Battleship and shoehorning it as some mutated, ineffective cruiser was lunatic at best. 

• Cool 1

Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
1 hour ago, SeeteufeI said:

it was always worse than KGV.. just now it actually has some usage compared to before...

Quality Poster
1,695 posts
9,500 battles

I am glad to see this idea of a BB without heal was shot down in time.

BB without heal would be focus fired every time, die instantly, unless you give it DD like stealth or something..

Hope they make DoY competitive, as the way RN BBs are treated is already nothing to write home about.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

So, WG wanted to make a quirky BB ... and ostensibly failed so they're dialing back on the experiment to proven concepts.

What I don't understand however is, why does a BB need cruiser consumables to be quirky? Why can't WG tweak the basic BB gameplay into something that plays different from the usual BB gameplay style? It worked to some extend with the Scharnhorst.

Want something different? How about a secondary-focused DoY? Tweak those 133mm secondary/DP gun stats, more range, better base accuracy, rate of fire increase, maybe give those the 1/4 caliber HE pen exception, the mainguns sure as hell don't need it.

Keep the faster ruddershift to make it more effective at brawling.

Get rid of the hydroacoustic search consumable entirely.

Or if we'd get really crazy for a second there, introduce a new consumable for the ship that further buffs secondary performance (accuracy and rate of fire buff) say the secondary equivalent to the defensive AA fire consumable.

Hell, the Royal Navy even has the perfect fluff to shoehorn in an explanation with their propensity of eschewing safety protocols to increase their rate of fire (which can also be worked into the mechanic itself):

Say the consumable, let's call it the Mad minute (internet cookies for who gets the reference) has a base duration of 60 seconds, with a base cooldown of 120 seconds. When active, it reduces secondary maximum dispersion by 80% and boosts secondary rate of fire by say 33% (numbers would obviously be subject to balancing efforts). Furthermore, you can prematurely cancel the duration (because for example an onrushing DD has been disposed off already) and you get a percentage based cooldown reduction ... only had the consumable active for half it's maximum duration? Enjoy half the cooldown. As a drawback, any module damage dealt to secondaries within the consumable's active period is increased by 50% (again, obviously subject to balancing).

I'd actually love such a consumable for all BBs (let's be honest, speccing a BB for full secondaries, whilst fun, is far from optimal for the vast majority if ingame scenarios!). Make the DoY the testbed and maybe even give her a little of the Atlanta touch and grant the DoY unlimited charges for that consumable.

BAMM

Done.

Quirky BB without cruiser consumables slapped on it and it can still play the usual role of a BB (tanking) if necessary.

I seriously don't get what's so bloody hard about coming up with gameplay concepts ...

• Cool 2

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

The original DoY idea sounded interesting.

This re-imagined one looks completely meh. 

• Cool 3

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles
12 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Tweak those 133mm secondary/DP gun stats, more range, better base accuracy, rate of fire increase, maybe give those the 1/4 caliber HE pen exception, the mainguns sure as hell don't need it.

I'd like to see that implemented to secondary guns in general at tier 8 and above, would give something to do with secondaries at high tiers for a change, because right now even with German BBs that can provide the range a secondary build is useless because at high tiers ships are armored enough to only get shatters all day long for 0 damage.

I still remember my full secondary build Bismarck being ignored by a Montana and ended in a score of 300+ secondary hits on that Montana for a grand total of 3k damage by raw secondary hits damage and two fires he just healed up. It's still sad that after seeing that I removed the build and went full AA just in case because there's no point in investing in secondaries and brawling at all.

But it would be crazy to give incentives to go in a brawling distance at high tiers, right?

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,090 posts
20,278 battles
11 hours ago, Aotearas said:

Or if we'd get really crazy for a second there, introduce a new consumable for the ship that further buffs secondary performance (accuracy and rate of fire buff) say the secondary equivalent to the defensive AA fire consumable.

Hell, the Royal Navy even has the perfect fluff to shoehorn in an explanation with their propensity of eschewing safety protocols to increase their rate of fire (which can also be worked into the mechanic itself):

Don't tar the hole Royal Navy with something that Idiot Admiral Beatty Championed. The Grand Fleet kept there safety Protocols and so did the 5th Battle Squadron. Ironically even the New Gunnery officer on Beatty's Flagship HMS Lion. Hence Beatty still being alive after the battle after Q turret was destroyed.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
29 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

Don't tar the hole Royal Navy with something that Idiot Admiral Beatty Championed. The Grand Fleet kept there safety Protocols and so did the 5th Battle Squadron. Ironically even the New Gunnery officer on Beatty's Flagship HMS Lion. Hence Beatty still being alive after the battle after Q turret was destroyed.

Do take note of the words "fluff" and "shoehorn" ... they should tell you roughly how serious you ought to take that statement as to its accuracy.

Players
1,884 posts
13,145 battles
12 hours ago, Aotearas said:

So, WG wanted to make a quirky BB ... and ostensibly failed so they're dialing back on the experiment to proven concepts.

What I don't understand however is, why does a BB need cruiser consumables to be quirky? Why can't WG tweak the basic BB gameplay into something that plays different from the usual BB gameplay style? It worked to some extend with the Scharnhorst.

Want something different? How about a secondary-focused DoY? Tweak those 133mm secondary/DP gun stats, more range, better base accuracy, rate of fire increase, maybe give those the 1/4 caliber HE pen exception, the mainguns sure as hell don't need it.

Keep the faster ruddershift to make it more effective at brawling.

Get rid of the hydroacoustic search consumable entirely.

Say the consumable, let's call it the Mad minute (internet cookies for who gets the reference) has a base duration of 60 seconds, with a base cooldown of 120 seconds. When active, it reduces secondary maximum dispersion by 80% and boosts secondary rate of fire by say 33% (numbers would obviously be subject to balancing efforts). Furthermore, you can prematurely cancel the duration (because for example an onrushing DD has been disposed off already) and you get a percentage based cooldown reduction ... only had the consumable active for half it's maximum duration? Enjoy half the cooldown. As a drawback, any module damage dealt to secondaries within the consumable's active period is increased by 50% (again, obviously subject to balancing).

I'd actually love such a consumable for all BBs (let's be honest, speccing a BB for full secondaries, whilst fun, is far from optimal for the vast majority if ingame scenarios!). Make the DoY the testbed and maybe even give her a little of the Atlanta touch and grant the DoY unlimited charges for that consumable.

BAMM

Done.

Quirky BB without cruiser consumables slapped on it and it can still play the usual role of a BB (tanking) if necessary.

I seriously don't get what's so bloody hard about coming up with gameplay concepts ...

This would be a great idea and one that would, for once, promote brawling instead of camping.

Secondary spec, as it is now, is fun and really useful in 1 out of 10 games and not really the best build for the current meta. And that's a shame. It doesn't need to be the new paradigma but making it more useful would make the game more varied and fun.

[DAVY]
Players
2,845 posts
13,970 battles

i suppose the DoY before was WG thoughts on a 'battlecruiser', seems they might have to rethink the whole catagory if they're going to introduce it at some point, rather than just making more 'classic' BB's...

Players
2,777 posts
17,292 battles
Just now, Taliesn said:

This would be a great idea and one that would, for once, promote brawling instead of camping.

WG nerfed KGV deck armour to 25mm to fit her into tier 7, this turned her into the most fragile BB in the game. DoY/KGV will always be a campy/'run away' ship regardless of consumables or secondaries at tier 7.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this