You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
invicta2012

Battle of the River Plate - wot no RN Cruisers?

30 comments in this topic

[-TPF-]
Players
5,029 posts
20,563 battles

I know it was a bit much to expect them to come up with an Exeter for this mission but c'mon.... where's the Ajax and Achilles? The Leander class is already in the game, we've got Perth with her regular HE/AP armament and smoke screen... why not two of the most famous cruisers in RN history? Not expecting to get them as a campaign reward but a cheeky little limited edition Leander - maybe with an enhanced rudder mod or a smidge extra concealment - would be a fun addition to the Premium shop. Go on WG, throw the EU server a bone... it's Christmas, after all...

• Cool 4

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,635 posts
24,455 battles
2 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

I know it was a bit much to expect them to come up with an Exeter for this mission but c'mon.... where's the Ajax and Achilles? The Leander class is already in the game, we've got Perth with her regular HE/AP armament and smoke screen... why not two of the most famous cruisers in RN history? Not expecting to get them as a campaign reward but a cheeky little limited edition Leander - maybe with an enhanced rudder mod or a smidge extra concealment - would be a fun addition to the Premium shop. Go on WG, throw the EU server a bone... it's Christmas, after all...

After the removal of the Belfast WG needs a new concept for a premium cruiser in the RN CL line. Just taking an existing ship and making it better is not the way to go.

I'd rather see something new and interesting, like HMS Dido. Besides this is just a weekly event chain, and not a campaign.

[TACHA]
Players
1,611 posts
18,459 battles

I don't really see why a minimally rebadged version of the Leander could not be made - Ajax is a direct clone for the RN and Achilles could be commonwealth clone for the New Zealand members. Exeter of course was a heavy cruiser and, only have 6 guns, I am not sure where I would put her. Would also need modelling which neither Ajax or Achilles would really need. Make them Premium and instant cash for WG!

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,238 posts
10,726 battles
4 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

Take the Fiji, add HE, call it Exeter, that would do.

Rather not have another Belfast like ship if I'm honest. 

Just having a different skin Leander preferably avalaible via a campaign, premium shop or best case scenario both will do just fine.

[ONE2]
Players
3,151 posts
26,344 battles

HHEHE! @invicta2012 Did you not know that the battle was in actuality fought in-between a bilge-spill-barge from Graf Spee (yes, indeed even GS was not involved) and the Nepalese Navy? Any other claims are just fake news and fabrications, obviously. Why should there be any RN involved? :Smile-_tongue:

[BLITZ]
Players
2,876 posts
12,744 battles

Wouldn't Jamaica be better in that case? :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,288 posts
22,717 battles

Did he really just say that........ :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 2

[CAIN]
Players
4,984 posts
21,590 battles
2 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

Yes, yes he did. :Smile_amazed:

What the game needs - an already OP ship made even more OP by adding HE.

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,481 posts
31,993 battles
8 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Not expecting to get them as a campaign reward but a cheeky little limited edition Leander - maybe with an enhanced rudder mod or a smidge extra concealment - would be a fun addition to the Premium shop. Go on WG, throw the EU server a bone... it's Christmas, after all...

So basically you want another premium that is straight better than its silver counterpart. Tell would you trade something for "enhanced rudder mod or a smidge extra concealment" like smidge worse reload or range?

Players
2,780 posts
17,292 battles

There's lots of things you could do to make each Leander unique.

...but WG are chasing the Asian market, instead of 1944 Achilles with great AA we get HungPoo.

41 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

It was a reference to the film, Jamaica played Exeter.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,288 posts
22,717 battles
2 hours ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Yes, yes he did. :Smile_amazed:

What the game needs - an already OP ship made even more OP by adding HE.

I was more meaning HMS Exiter was a  York Class HEAVY Cruiser  with 3x2 203mm (8inch guns) not a Colony Class Light Cruiser.

2 hours ago, creamgravy said:

There's lots of things you could do to make each Leander unique.

...but WG are chasing the Asian market, instead of 1944 Achilles with great AA we get HungPoo.

It was a reference to the film, Jamaica played Exeter.

Ok by that then we are going to get a series of Spruance-class destroyer (1970-85) instead of Mahan Class DDs as they were used in the WONDERFUL (I am being Ironic) Perl Harbour Movie from 2001

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,481 posts
31,993 battles
31 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

Ok by that then we are going to get a series of Spruance-class destroyer (1970-85) instead of Mahan Class DDs as they were used in the WONDERFUL (I am being Ironic) Perl Harbour Movie from 2001

Even better we should get USS Salem as Graf Spee and HMS Sheffield as Ajax. Wouldn't that be great?

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
4,249 posts
848 battles
6 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

165.gif

No... No, that won't do at all. :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
890 posts
10,718 battles

Its strange (but a bit unsurprising...) that the RN, with hundreds of ships to choose from, gets no premium cruiser other than the axed Belfast, whereas all the other major lines get several. Russia gets about eight, if you include Makarov and Kutezov. As discussed, why not even a cheap and easy re-skin of a Colony or Town class cruiser?

The contrived Pan Asia and "Commonwealth" lines even have (ironically, ex-RN) premium ships, which has presumably taken away a large chunk of British ship development that could have gone to the RN line instead. Imagine the British line with an "R" class DD, Vampire, an "N" class DD, Perth, Aurora, all as premiums.

Beta Tester
1,051 posts
12,751 battles

They have to pace themselves, release ships on a regular basis to ensure that the spice flows, the spice must flow.

Regular steady income, that pays all those peoples wages, puts food on their tables, etc.

Releasing British ships under Commonwealth flags, or Pan Asian, shows that lines are being worked on, modelled. I'm sure that a County, York or Hawkins class will be released some day as a premium.

The next big event will no doubt be the Duke of York campaign.

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts
8 hours ago, T0byJug said:

Yes I did and I was taking the mickey as they have a habit of doing bizarre things with the Royal Navy ships, but it would at least be easy enough for them to do and the cash would roll in from the many people interested in things RN.

An T7 RN premium cruiser that isn't considered OP by the playerbase (no radar), but adds a bit of utility or variety over the silver Fiji would sell like mad. As others have pointed out there are less factually accurate navies with better representation than one of the largest and most diverse navies of the times the game represents. 

[SM0KE]
Players
7,713 posts
16,341 battles

I'd buy a premium Ajax, even if it was a simple clone of Leander; c'mon WG - there must be plenty of idiots like me out there; think of the lovely money you could make...

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
6,268 posts
23,379 battles
10 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

*khm* Maybe another name? :cap_haloween: A little easy to... "misread" it

at least it's not a sub, so it looks different than... what we all think of now. :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
5,029 posts
20,563 battles

So basically you want another premium that is straight better than its silver counterpart. Tell would you trade something for "enhanced rudder mod or a smidge extra concealment" like smidge worse reload or range.

Sure! I have no interest in another RN cruisers hiding in smoke going pew pew pew, I think we've all had enough of that.

As River Plate was an extended exercise in BB kiting I'd be looking at giving both ships a better gunnery range than stock Leander with a slower reload to compensate. Something a bit like La Gallisonniere - 15k range, 9 sec reload. Special sauce is a premium camo to give a chunky bonus to detectability / dispersion (-4/+5 rather than the usual -3/+4, these are squishy ships) rather than smoke. Ajax gets a spotter, Achilles gets a speed boost and the same HE/AP as Perth.