You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Prof_Pepe

Racism in clans and wows?!

74 comments in this topic

Players
26 posts

Hello, this is actually my first post in here so I hope it is the right section Im posting in.
If not - be gentle and forgive me :P

I am a muslim and to my horror I realized that I got kicked out of my clan for being a muslim???
For real?! I wasn't able to participate in an operation due to having an appointment in my mosque and the next day I see everything is gone. I log in and I dont have any messages or notifications and I am without a clan..

I am not naming or shaming that clan or these people because I am just disappointed,but is that even a thing?
I have noticed that even in the ingame chat people are saying things where a chatfilter should actually kick in or something like an instant-kick-system would be helpful.

Since I only recently started playing this game and I obviously can't speak for the higher tiers but people in the lower tiers are showing a lot of signs of bad habits and racism (yes, straight up racism)
here is an example from a few days ago:

*Edited

I had this guy two times in a game and he always said these kind of phrases.. it is horrific how these people dont get punished for it.
I am actually disappointed and hope that I just caught bad moments but for me it seems like this is getting out of hand

Edited by Nohe21
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to Naming & Shaming
  • Cool 15

Players
1,678 posts
13,700 battles

Sadly, this is the internet. It sucks, it hurts, it's sometimes prosecutable, but in the end there really isn't much you can do about it. If insults go overboard you can file a ticket to WG support but don't expect too much. More often than not they will just tell you to report such people ingame. Eventually they will get chat-banned for it.

I hope this didn't kill your joy with the game or communities in general. Fortunately, such d*ckheads are a minority around here. Just join another clan with some more open minded people and give hell to your former one :)

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
10,389 posts
9,122 battles

1. Did they tell u that they kicked u out because you are a muslim? Or do u assume that? In any case the clanleader can kick u out without any reason, so be glad that they kicked u if u think they did it because of u being a muslim. Atleast thats how i would see it, why would i play with ppl who dislike me for being *insert religion/nationality*?

2. Write a ticket to support. Only thing u can do to prevent stuff like this is report them ingame for missbehaviour in chat, so they might get chatbanned. If its like that pic above (btw naming and shaming) then write a ticket to support with screenshot, better replay. (u can find how to enable replays in the forum, if u dont have it yet)

All in all i havent seen so much racism in this game to say that its getting out of hand or it being frequent.

Beta Tester
4,954 posts
20,698 battles

Prejudice against a religion (any of them...) isn't "racism". Religion != race.

Doesn't make it any better though, just wanted You to get the terms right.

• Cool 9

Players
6,634 posts
10,873 battles
1 minute ago, deadly_if_swallowed said:

Sadly, this is the internet. It sucks, it hurts, it's sometimes prosecutable, but in the end there really isn't much you can do about it. If insults go overboard you can file a ticket to WG support but don't expect too much.

No, if it really gets out of hand, and you feel like it, you can always go to the police. There is no difference, if you face abuse face-to-face or over the internet. People tend to think, they are anonymous when online. They are not. The abilities of tracking cyber-crime has been growing in the recent past - its still not there, where it needs to be. But its very easy to track. You report this stuff to the police, pressing legal charges. You tell them, where this happens - in this case, the server of Wargaming. Police will contact WG, ask for the IP of that account. With that IP, police can track the ISP of that person. Police can contact the ISP and get the owner of that connection. He is fucked now. There have been laws in place in europe making this kind of investigations and tracking possible and easy. Just make sure, that if you push this way, it will stand before a court and that you are ready to go all the way. In this case, I suspect the person on the screen to be german. Saying things like this in public WILL get you in deep deep trouble in Germany.

• Cool 3

Players
2,415 posts
15,675 battles

If only someone found solution how to deal with kids on the internet... Sigh...

1) Screenshot + replay and send it to support.

2) Ignore and move on.

And clans? Clans are made up of people. Some are more single minded and ignorant that others. If it was me, I'd be happy to not have to deal with people obviously with some kind of animosity towards me.

All you need to do is just find clan that consists of people on the level.

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
1,829 posts
19,173 battles

Hey dude we at BAD-Armada accept anybody.... any race, sexual preference, age, or species..... absolutely anybody ...... as long as you are not French.

• Cool 23

Players
1,421 posts
8,533 battles
On 12/10/2017 at 2:42 PM, delicious_shithead said:

Since I only recently started playing this game and I obviously can't speak for the higher tiers but people in the lower tiers are showing a lot of signs of bad habits and racism (yes, straight up racism)

*Edited

I had this guy two times in a game and he always said these kind of phrases.. it is horrific how these people dont get punished for it.
I am actually disappointed and hope that I just caught bad moments but for me it seems like this is getting out of hand

*Edited

Edited by Nohe21
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to disrespectful comments.
  • Cool 5

Players
7 posts
10,556 battles
1 hour ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Prejudice against a religion (any of them...) isn't "racism". Religion != race.

Doesn't make it any better though, just wanted You to get the terms right.

Antisemitism is a form of racism so the OP is not wrong.

Edit: Islamophobia is considered as a form of racism, too.

• Cool 4

Players
75 posts
622 battles
43 minutes ago, Sargento_YO said:

Also... I can imagine kicking someone out of a clan for religion reasons... Imagine if there is an important clan battle and, in the middle of the battle the muslim dude says "Sorry, I gotta go, I need to pray looking to Mecca right NOW" I would be like... "WTF... seriously??"

You can´t be serious right here! Praying is a valid reason to skip clan battles, just as going out drinking with friends is (perhaps even more valid than the latter) Deciding wether or not to kick people from your clan based on WHAT they are doing instead of participating in CW is reprehensible and in this case even racist.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
10,389 posts
9,122 battles
53 minutes ago, Sargento_YO said:

Also... I can imagine kicking someone out of a clan for religion reasons... Imagine if there is an important clan battle and, in the middle of the battle the muslim dude says "Sorry, I gotta go, I need to pray looking to Mecca right NOW" I would be like... "WTF... seriously??"

If u get suddenly diarrhea in an "important" (ROFL btw) Clan battle, i will kick u out because we dont need ppl with unstable stomachs in our team...

• Cool 3

[TOXIC]
Players
4,759 posts
12,104 battles

OP, a couple things.

1. Discrimination based on religious views is NOT racism. These are two different things that might (and often do) coincide but they are not the same.

2. While insulting someone for their race and/or religious views is certainly reportable, the same can't be said for kicking someone off a clan. Clans are made based on arbitrary conditions set by their leaders. These conditions may include some standards of performance (winrate), communication (language and/or usage of clan-preferred communicator), attitude and... basically ANYTHING. There could even be an explicitly christian clan with certain religion being a requirement - because, in the end, the idea is to play and have fun with like-minded people. Someone openly adhering to an ideology (be it a religion or something secular) the other clanmates are not comfortable with might simply not belong to that clan. Especially since...

3. Normally other people in WoWs are not very aware of your worldview. How did it even happen that your clanmates learned that you are a Muslim? Did you talk about it a lot? In my clan I have no idea what others believe in and I don't bring up my own beliefs - it's literally impossible for religious discrimination to occur. Maybe what you got kicked for was not being a Muslin, but rather bringing up your religion too much? I can imagine asking my clan leader to get rid of someone rambling on and on about his religious life if we had someone like that. I'm playing WoWs to have fun, not to listen to some blockheads trying to evangelize me.

4. Also, what basis do you really have to claim that it was on religious basis you got kicked? From what you say, you got kicked after missing a clan-arranged event. Perhaps that was actually the case? The clan expected you to participate in their activities and you were just not there too often? Would be nicer if they gave you the explanation, of course, but...

5. Finally, of course there is racism and religious discrimination in WoWs. It happens everywhere and online - with extra layer of anonymity - it often gets uglier than elsewhere. Nothing new, really. But I wouldn't like any automated system to handle that in WoWs - automated systems for these things tend to be a bad idea. Leave it to the report system for the mild cases and for screenshot-backed support tickets when things get worse.

• Cool 5

[BGNAV]
Players
265 posts
3,354 battles
2 hours ago, ForlornSailor said:

No, if it really gets out of hand, and you feel like it, you can always go to the police. There is no difference, if you face abuse face-to-face or over the internet. People tend to think, they are anonymous when online. They are not. The abilities of tracking cyber-crime has been growing in the recent past - its still not there, where it needs to be. But its very easy to track. You report this stuff to the police, pressing legal charges. You tell them, where this happens - in this case, the server of Wargaming. Police will contact WG, ask for the IP of that account. With that IP, police can track the ISP of that person. Police can contact the ISP and get the owner of that connection. He is fucked now. There have been laws in place in europe making this kind of investigations and tracking possible and easy. Just make sure, that if you push this way, it will stand before a court and that you are ready to go all the way. In this case, I suspect the person on the screen to be german. Saying things like this in public WILL get you in deep deep trouble in Germany.

This practically can not happen, if you don't believe me, next time someone insults you try it and tell me if you got any results apart from someone laughing at your complain in the police station.

• Cool 4

[L4GG]
Players
3,315 posts
10,929 battles
1 hour ago, cherry2blost said:

Hey dude we at BAD-Armada accept anybody.... any race, sexual preference, age, or species..... absolutely anybody ...... as long as you are not French.

Naahhh. not true.

Your clan accept almost anybody. Ahahahahah.

to the OP. no one got a thing to do with your personal life or with your personal preferences.

and I make mine the words of  eliastion, well, almost.

• Cool 1

[L4GG]
Players
3,315 posts
10,929 battles
1 hour ago, Sargento_YO said:

When someone insults like that usually I extinguish the insult at the same level. I would answer something like "Dude, if all jews dies there wouldn't be any cool movies anymore"
Honestly, I prefer the freedom of speech, even with that kind of insults.

And going to the dentist or on a date, dinner, work, etc.

It would be like WTF, seriously?

What about if a person had a life?

WTF, seriously?

came on.

A clan only needs 7 players from 30 or almost 30.

Are you seriously? WTF?

Players
6,634 posts
10,873 battles
11 minutes ago, sisito0o said:

This practically can not happen, if you don't believe me, next time someone insults you try it and tell me if you got any results apart from someone laughing at your complain in the police station.

Did you try or from where do you have that experiance?

btw: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/27/police-investigate-online-abuse-charity-transgender-children-mermaids

there are tons of other examples. Many countries - including where I live - have the option, to report crime completly online without physically visiting a police station. You might want to update your knowledge about police investigations, if the year was 2000, I´d agree with you.

Players
1,421 posts
8,533 battles
3 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

And going to the dentist or on a date, dinner, work, etc.

It would be like WTF, seriously?

What about if a person had a life?

WTF, seriously?

came on.

A clan only needs 7 players from 30 or almost 30.

Are you seriously? WTF?

Of course, I'm not serious...
Get a life? what`s that?? How many doublons you need to get one?

[BGNAV]
Players
265 posts
3,354 battles
14 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Did you try or from where do you have that experiance?

btw: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/27/police-investigate-online-abuse-charity-transgender-children-mermaids

there are tons of other examples. Many countries - including where I live - have the option, to report crime completly online without physically visiting a police station. You might want to update your knowledge about police investigations, if the year was 2000, I´d agree with you.

Ok then report it, I don't mind, I just say it will be a miracle to see any result. Do I now have to start insulting you to prove myself ? I am just saying, don't agree with me if you don't want.

Beta Tester
2,104 posts
11,183 battles
3 hours ago, delicious_shithead said:

Hello, this is actually my first post in here so I hope it is the right section Im posting in.
If not - be gentle and forgive me :P

I am a muslim and to my horror I realized that I got kicked out of my clan for being a muslim???
For real?! I wasn't able to participate in an operation due to having an appointment in my mosque and the next day I see everything is gone. I log in and I dont have any messages or notifications and I am without a clan..

I am not naming or shaming that clan or these people because I am just disappointed,but is that even a thing?
I have noticed that even in the ingame chat people are saying things where a chatfilter should actually kick in or something like an instant-kick-system would be helpful.

jSMFPJI.png

10/10 for effort, 1/10 for blatant troll thread and player name.

• Cool 1

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

Really I don't get the point of bringing this up OP. I'm not condoning anything said persons have done or told to you. It's a blunt fact those rats are on the internet as well. Now the only "religion" I'm using is praying to all higher forces that my salvo will hit well and theirs will miss. It's a video game. And the clans are part of it. If someone in my clan isn't able to play or simply don't want to play CW. It's fine, we'll remove members who don't contribute anything. And i have no idea what believes my fellow members might or might not have. Nor do I care. If your clan threw you out for this reason I think you didn't have anything to find there in the first place.

Also we sometimes use very "powerful expressions" (a.k.a. swearing when one is screwing up something) in TS and sometimes ingame chat. Give a report in minor offenses or send a ticket in major ones. Keep it there, grow a pair and move on.

• Cool 1