Sign in to follow this  
Jvd2000

Roon vs Hindenburg, any reason to keep the Roon?

11 comments in this topic

[SINT]
Players
1,008 posts
22,209 battles

After the disappointing Hipper (not that bad but just meh) I am really enjoying the Roon. But where the other national cruiser lines*  the tier IX vs tier X means a different type of ship character the Hindenburg seems to me a Roon+. Extra set of good guns, more HP, extra module etc.. just in all a clear upgrade with exception to the concealment.

As for MM tier X the matchmaking seems to be much better too.

I really like the Roon and i will keep it (because of investment of premium camo) but compared to her bigger sister there seems to be no real reason to keep her?

The Neptune is different the the Minotaur, DM plays different then the Moskwa. Henri IV has way larger guns then the tier 9 Frenchie. Both the Baltimore (and the future tier 9 US CA) is a different kind of beast. Maybe only the Ubuki and the Zao are comparable as both being identical and a clear upgrade.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,981 posts
7,359 battles

Hindenburg is just better in every way.

• Cool 1

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,187 posts
9,654 battles

Rebought the Roon after I got my Hindenburg. Played 2 games in it, then sold it again. The Hindenburg just does everything better and is more fun to play.

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
3 hours ago, Jvd2000 said:

The Neptune is different the the Minotaur, DM plays different then the Moskwa. Henri IV has way larger guns then the tier 9 Frenchie. Both the Baltimore (and the future tier 9 US CA) is a different kind of beast. Maybe only the Ubuki and the Zao are comparable as both being identical and a clear upgrade.

Sorry if it's off topic but how does Mino differ from Neptune? I've grinded to Mino and she's just better in all aspects.

Also no reason to keep Donskoi after Moskva although the captain will need to be new or a respec. 

Des Moines is different from Baltimore also?!

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,981 posts
7,359 battles

Hmm, Donskoi would be the only tier 9 I'll buy again if I needed a permanent tier 9 cruiser personnally. It play similar to Moskva but is also quite different.

The best would be if WG released the equivalent of Missouri with a tier 9 premium cruiser obviously, but it seems they don't want to.

Players
82 posts
6,224 battles

I sold Roon when I bought Hindenburg. Since then I didn't have the feeling like "I wish I had Roon".

At the moment, the only reason why I would buy it back is to collect in the port the whole KM cruiser line. 

Players
1 post

Is it worth skipping Roon, and go straight to Hindenburg?

Well, still a long play, in order to get enough XP, in order to research and buy Hindenburg though :)

[-NFG-]
Players
59 posts
4,030 battles
20 hours ago, F1GAM said:

Is it worth skipping Roon, and go straight to Hindenburg?

Well, still a long play, in order to get enough XP, in order to research and buy Hindenburg though :)

Man you answered to 2017 topic :)
I have both ships - Roon sometimes for Ranked T9 with arms race
Hindenburg is more like ship for randoms. I tried Ranked with it and it generally does not have the damage output compete with Soviet "wet power dream" cruisers like Pietropawlosk, Stalingrad and others. I would say that similarily to Z-52 this ship is getting slowly powercreeped:

1. Bow front 27 mm lower plating can be overmatched by pretty every BB, what is more: more and more 457 mm ships enter the game
  2. HE potential - although they have nice penetration the general damage is low compared to others
  3. AP - when getting close to targets they work nice but do not have any special ricochet angles or heavy weight. Pretty large amount of overpens with them as they suffer too long arming time - just like most german ship AP's.
  4. Hydro - this one is good - 6 km range if of course HE spammers allow to get you closer
  5. "Legendary module" - i think this one should be placed in the second place not as replacement of concealment module as it has more with fire prevention / extuiguishing and ship survivability than concealment - so after putting this you get like 14 km detectability :)
  6. Also - AA is generally short ranged 5.2 km so you will not be able to support much with it.

Hindi is nice ship for Randoms and for doing missions like current ones but it will not work correctly for Ranked / CW. Especially after this new FDR CV was introduced.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
On 10/5/2020 at 12:46 PM, hellbolt said:
  1. HE potential - although they have nice penetration the general damage is low compared to others

HE dpm is third after Worcester and Des Moines. Unlike USN ships, you get fast shells though. How that is considered low I do not know.

I have both ships - Roon sometimes for Ranked T9 with arms race
Hindenburg is more like ship for randoms. I tried Ranked with it and it generally does not have the damage output compete with Soviet "wet power dream" cruisers like Pietropawlosk, Stalingrad and others. I would say that similarily to Z-52 this ship is getting slowly powercreeped:

Hindenburg is not great, but it at least has its niche as the best 50 mm pen farmer, so you can just farm down Petropavlovsk, Stalingrad, etc. Properly angled, their return fire is a joke. Roon meanwhile I do not know why you'd play Roon. The dpm of Roon actually is mostly the "decent" dpm inbetween Hipper's garbage dpm and Hindenburg's very solid dpm. Depending on meta, there'll always be better cruisers. In the role of spamming 50 mm HE at range though, Roon get's outdone by the Azuma, when it comes to utility, Roon has pretty much none, when it comes to mid range, Drake does that role better. Hindenburg at least has some reason to see play over Yoshino and Goliath. Even if all three aren't insanely great ranked picks (nor is Roon, they all lack the utility).

Hindenburg in 2020 also isn't necessarily powercrept. I'd say the ship is i a decently competitive spot, benefitting a great deal though from the fact that its main competitor Henri got whacked hard by the IFHE change making it no longer a competition for the 50 mm pen role. Venezia cannot deal with sharply angled ships and utterly sucks vs Kremlin. Yoshino and Goliath don't have much dpm and one is less accurate, while the other has worse shell velocity and worse range.

Hindi is nice ship for Randoms and for doing missions like current ones but it will not work correctly for Ranked / CW. Especially after this new FDR CV was introduced.

FDR doesn't do anything special to Hindenburg that makes it that much bigger of an issue than a Midway or a MvR. And nothing on Hindenburg makes the ship worse against CVs than other T10 cruisers. Like most non-radar cruisers, Hindenburg can easily run a fighter plane and it is not as reliant on stealth as ships like Zao are. 

Sign in to follow this