Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hippolyte_Lesaunier

Severe community issue in WoW

15 comments in this topic

Players
15 posts
8,055 battles

World of Warships is a very interesting, addictive game that I like very much. It is however plagued by the way people behave on the battle chat. I never saw anything like that elsewhere. In each battle you have someone insulting others - or worse -, sometimes by frustration, sometimes without reason. This is really a serious concern that should be addressed. As an educator I'm very concerned thinking that many young people are playing this game. They should definitively not be exposed to that level of violence. Countries have laws, and this is not allowed in most of them.

Something has definitively to be done. Part of it is by getting the community more responsible. We must not tolerate this kind of behaviour, it is unacceptable and spoils the experience people might get from the game. It is dangerous. The other part is Wargaming's responsability. There are specific rules each user has to accept when creating an account. Those rules precisely ban any kind of aggressive behaviour on chat. They have to be enforced. On the long run it can only be good for buisness.

Thanks for doing something. :cap_old:

• Cool 1

[T_I_W]
Players
164 posts
11,602 battles

While it is fairly "normal" to have alot of salt in games like this, calling each other idiots and the like, i have definitely noticed alot more players blatantly crossing the line to the point where the things they say would be considered hate crimes in most EU countries.

The problem is, this is like bots, WG simply do not care or do anything about it even if you report the violations.

I seem to remember there being a mod that completely hides all chat related UI... if you are one of those sensitive people who get upset from the generic salty comments perhaps you should look for this.

Just keep reporting the ones who cross the line and hope maybe one day there will be more than a short term chat ban involved.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,650 posts
8,138 battles
1 hour ago, Hippolyte_Lesaunier said:

World of Warships is a very interesting, addictive game that I like very much. It is however plagued by the way people behave on the battle chat. I never saw anything like that elsewhere. You haven't been around that much i guess? Do you know a game called "League of Legends"? (or any MOBA for that matter) In each battle you have someone insulting others - or worse -, sometimes by frustration, sometimes without reason. This is really a serious concern that should be addressed There are always some that take it too far but i would say it is rather civil if you compare to others. It's the internet you sadly have to grow some thick skin here. As an educator I'm very concerned thinking that many young people are playing this game. They should definitively not be exposed to that level of violence. Countries have laws, and this is not allowed in most of them.That is wasted effort. They will learn those "evil words" no matter what you do but you are too dramatic about it. If the supervisors (read mostly their parents) do their job they will get there and will be able to stay civil. :cap_old:

Something has definitively to be done. Part of it is by getting the community more responsible. We must not tolerate this kind of behaviour, it is unacceptable and spoils the experience people might get from the game. It is dangerous. Again you are making too much fuss about it. If there are real issues you can report them via supportticket and those will be adressed. Everythin else is pointless. The other part is Wargaming's responsability. There are specific rules each user has to accept when creating an account. Those are to have a foundation to sanction people that go crazy nothing more.Those rules precisely ban any kind of aggressive behaviour on chat. They have to be enforced. On the long run it can only be good for buisness.

• Cool 1

Players
2,236 posts
4,794 battles

If you have noticed anything particularly offensive or illegal, you can raise a support ticket reporting the incident.

You will need to attach a replay file to the ticket as evidence of what you are reporting.

If all you are concerned about is swearing and saltiness, I'm afraid everyone has to experience that sometime before they develop thick enough skin to handle it.

Good luck and fair seas. :Smile_honoring:

Players
15 posts
8,055 battles

Guessing u haven`t played wot?

No, but I'm fairly confident the issues are the same, as it is exactly the same online-gaming platform.

It's the internet you sadly have to grow some thick skin here

I've been around in gaming for 20 years. I've even worked in the industry.

They will learn those "evil words" no matter what you do but you are too dramatic about it

That's not the problem. As wrote above (glad I'm not the only one to notice this) it sometimes goes to some form of hatred which is simply harmful.

[OP]
Beta Tester
282 posts
24,744 battles

In all the games that i've played i think approximate 10-20% of the battles are having conversations like you mentioned.

in just about 1-2% of the games it's having the worse violence that i see.

Usually i step in between both players and let them know we play a game, not war.
I'm having over 500Karma in wich i barely ever get reported, that's usually because i dislike the violent chat just like you do.

Eventho that said, i have no faith in the current report system. What is done with the reports given out f.e. afk players or toxic chat as mentioned above?

• Cool 2

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts
3 hours ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

I'm afraid everyone has to experience that sometime before they develop thick enough skin to handle it.

Hopefully the skin doesn't get so big that those things get ignored. If something like this isn't activly fought against, it will only spread and get worse.

Despite what the naysayers are trying to tell us ever so often support will do their job. Though they often need a slight push to do it, with a reminder that some things are simply not covered by an ingame reporting tool with pre-programmed punishments.

Replays are helping but screenshots are also fine if it is for chat misbehavior.

• Cool 1

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
5 hours ago, Hippolyte_Lesaunier said:

It is however plagued by the way people behave on the battle chat. I never saw anything like that elsewhere.

Pff, try League. Compared to that this games chat is classy gentlemen complementing each other over a glass of whiskey and cigars :cap_tea:

django-5-blog480.jpg

As an educator I'm very concerned thinking that many young people are playing this game. They should definitively not be exposed to that level of violence.

I'm reasonably sure to say that a good part of those comments (I'd give examples but that would get me banned here lol) come form those same kids you want to protect :Smile_izmena:

it is unacceptable and spoils the experience people might get from the game

I don't see it as "unacceptable". Freedom of speech, you know. If you want to call your incompetent teammate incompetent - go ahead and call him incompetent. Also you choose the words how to say that one :cap_like:

2 kinds of people tend to be more likely to yell at others. First ones (id say the wast majority) are the absolutely incompetent ones. So incompetent, that they think it's their team dragging them down, never their fault, that they are actually too great for the game. No understanding of the game, but always blames everyone else, especially those who are actually doing something while they themselves, as always, died within the first 3 min. And then there are the Angry Competent players. Actually dragged down by their teams incompetence, actually getting angry because they just can't carry this bunch of potatoes hard enough.

Of course, anybody can have a bad day or have some reason to get angry and yell at someone. TK, pushed out of the smoke by an ally, a stupid "get X kills" mission making half of your team to do nothing but KS, helplessly fighting 5 enemies solo while 8 of your allies are sitting on the other side of the map like "yeah, we conquered this corner! You see any enemies here? Me neither, because we conquered it! Lets make sure it stays ours by never moving ever again!"...

The other part is Wargaming's responsability. There are specific rules each user has to accept when creating an account. Those rules precisely ban any kind of aggressive behaviour on chat.

And that is why we have a chatban system that can and will give you a 24h chatban just for saying "Hi" in the chat :cap_old:

• Cool 1

Players
2,236 posts
4,794 battles
32 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

Hopefully the skin doesn't get so big that those things get ignored. If something like this isn't activly fought against, it will only spread and get worse.

3 hours ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

If all you are concerned about is swearing and saltiness, I'm afraid everyone has to experience that sometime before they develop thick enough skin to handle it.

Cutting down my quote changed it's meaning.

The bit about 'thick skin' was specifically referring to the swearing and saltiness.

So far in near-2k battles I haven't seen any messages in chat that would be considered hate speech or racist (then again, I'm normally too wrapped up in the game to notice the chat box).

The one time I noticed someone say something about 'Autism' I immediately blocked him so I wouldn't see any more messages from the guy.

If I do see someone saying homophobic, islamophobic or otherwise xenophobic hate speech in chat, you can bet I'll be submitting a ticket to support as soon as I leave the battle.

Players
15 posts
8,055 battles

Pff, try League. Compared to that this games chat is classy gentlemen complementing each other over a glass of whiskey and cigars

Then what ? Be happy with that state of things ? Threads like this one popping up from time to time make people speak about it. And that's always how you break the circle violence. Speaking about it.

I'm reasonably sure to say that a good part of those comments (I'd give examples but that would get me banned here lol) come form those same kids you want to protect

You don't seem to understand that preventing kids from having that kind of wrong behaviour is actually protecting them. Real life society doesn't forgive any kind of behaviour considered as "out of line". Some societies are more tolerant than others, but still. You don't behave correctly, you get punished in a way or another.

I don't see it as "unacceptable". Freedom of speech, you know. If you want to call your incompetent teammate incompetent - go ahead and call him incompetent. Also you choose the words how to say that one

Freedom stops where begin others freedom. No, people can't say everything, there are laws, and even in the most permissive countries you can easily be charged by a court for that, as long it is proven you offended someone and caused harm.

The one time I noticed someone say something about 'Autism' I immediately blocked him so I wouldn't see any more messages from the guy.

Yes, indeed. Let's talk about that.

One of the most common expressions I see is "[edited]* team" (basically everytime your team loses). This is absolutely unacceptable. There are people that suffer from mental illnesses and you don't have any right to play with that. It may seem innocent, but I can tell you that if one day someone takes it seriously and can afford to hire a team of international lawyers, you'll pay a fine you'll remember all your life, and it will be deserved. There's absolutely no difference with the 'autism' case you quote above. And don't tell me it isn't common, I see it all the time.

*Interestingly enough, there's a filter on this forum (so we could speak again about freedom of speech) : the word was Romeo-Echo-Tango-Alpha-Romeo-Delta.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
2,114 posts
12,495 battles
On 7/12/2017 at 0:34 PM, Hippolyte_Lesaunier said:

World of Warships is a very interesting, addictive game that I like very much. It is however plagued by the way people behave on the battle chat. I never saw anything like that elsewhere. In each battle you have someone insulting others - or worse -, sometimes by frustration, sometimes without reason. This is really a serious concern that should be addressed. As an educator I'm very concerned thinking that many young people are playing this game. They should definitively not be exposed to that level of violence. Countries have laws, and this is not allowed in most of them.

Something has definitively to be done. Part of it is by getting the community more responsible. We must not tolerate this kind of behaviour, it is unacceptable and spoils the experience people might get from the game. It is dangerous. The other part is Wargaming's responsability. There are specific rules each user has to accept when creating an account. Those rules precisely ban any kind of aggressive behaviour on chat. They have to be enforced. On the long run it can only be good for buisness.

WoWS is a competetive game which places both good and bad players on the same team; toxic chat and behaviour is the natural and inevitable result of the frustration such a combination creates. Just learn to accept that it is there and move on as Wargaming has no intention of removing the root causes for the toxicity.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Players
1,423 posts
8,825 battles

How about no? I really enjoy the way it is. I don't want things to happen like in World of tanks where they removed the posibility to comunicate with the enemy. I really loved the insults appraise from the enemy when I do something nasty to them, like a well excecuted scissors/anvil attack.

[RFI]
Players
6 posts
5,098 battles

I'm at a point where I get a "Edited " and a report for sinking enemies. 

Besides, I think that people who need to WRITE down (and not simply speak their mind in a vocal outrage that "can" happen) to teamates that they are mentally Edited because they made a mistake, those are the ones with real mental issues. 

This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks and swearing 

Players
322 posts
9,766 battles

Hippolyte_Lesaunier

So we're allready banned from chat/reported, by the EDIT that can't tell the difference between advice and EDIT talk (and even when we outplay them)... so your "Crusade"  for social justice and safe spaces, will not be supported.

P.S.

In life as in the internet... you need very thick skin.

Edited by Kampa1987
Insults

Sign in to follow this