You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
nambr9

Resetting caps (defending)

18 comments in this topic

[THESO]
Players
4,615 posts

The situation:

There are 3 enemy ships in a cap capping.

I focus fire one of them. I hit full salvo. Nothing. Hit full salvo again. Nothing. Enemy is still capping.

I switch target to another one (also in the cap). I hit full salvo. 3 defensive ribbons, cap reset. I hit salvo again. 1 defensive ribbon cap reset.

Can someone explain how this "mystery" mechanic works? Thanks.

[THESO]
Players
4,615 posts
57 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Only two ships gather cap points.

I was also considering that.

But do then all 3 get assisted in capture ribbon?

Or does one get capture ribbon and the other (who entered cap later) get assisted in cap ribbon - even if they are not contributing in the capture?

Who to shoot then to reset the cap (farm defense ribbons) ... mystery ... shrouded in mist, like many other mechanics in this game including detonation.

Sometimes when you hit a salvo on enemy capping you get 1 defense ribbon, but sometimes you get more. I have failed to get the logic behind this... I must be dumb or something.

[ONE2]
Players
3,143 posts
23,566 battles

I think you can only reset cap, when you hit the one enemy ship, who first entered the cap. In other words the one, who started capping, hit anyone else and it has no effect. I think that is the mechanic in WoT at least. But that is only my guess. :cap_hmm:

[THESO]
Players
4,615 posts
5 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

--- the harder it is to reset cap.

I want to know the match formula behind this.

Do you have any info if WG posted this somewhere. I cant seem to find it.

5 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

I think you can only reset cap, when you hit the one enemy ship, who first entered the cap. In other words the one, who started capping, hit anyone else and it has no effect. But that is only my guess. :cap_hmm:

Unproven theory in my eyes, but if it is true, then its a bit shaky one (bad design).

I wish some of the developers (or any other WG staff) would actually step in and explain.

But sadly they dont use their own forums, they rather hang on reddit, which is really really sad, because in the end we have to count on CCs to educate the player base.

[ONE2]
Players
3,143 posts
23,566 battles

True dat, I have no hard facts to back it up, just saw something or another comments like that in a Mr. Jingles Youtube video a while back, but it is a hunch and if WoT indeed works like that then it does make sense they would make use of the same mechanic here. Also you own previous observation seems to support that theory.:cap_old:

[CATS]
Players
28,974 posts
15,141 battles
19 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Unproven theory in my eyes, but if it is true, then its a bit shaky one (bad design).

I wish some of the developers (or any other WG staff) would actually step in and explain.

But sadly they dont use their own forums, they rather hang on reddit, which is really really sad, because in the end we have to count on CCs to educate the player base.

It is quite easy. If you do not know which ships entered first, you have to guess. The more ships in the cap, the smaller the chance you guess right.

[ONE2]
Players
3,143 posts
23,566 battles

Annoying, isn't it? :etc_swear::Smile-angry: And of course, if the enemy was smart and let the unspotted DD enter first, you're probably screwed... :Smile_ohmy:

• Cool 1

Players
2,449 posts

I have seen that too in game, multiple enemy ships in your cap zone (Base) and yet you can only reset by hitting the first ship to begin capping.

By the time you do find out which is the right target the others have usually pounded you to scrap.

This is where secondary armament comes into play, if you have it, because secondary shells reset the cap if they hit the right target...

As someone who has capped an enemy base with his division I know that everyone gets the assisted capture ribbon if 3 ships are there capping...beyond 3 I have no idea.

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

Only two ships gather cap points.

All ships gather points, you reach max speed at 2. More will disperse gained points, but won't increase the capping speed

50 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Or does one get capture ribbon

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think you need like 90%, maybe even 95% of the cap points to get the solo icon. Any less is "assisted"

45 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

I think you can only reset cap, when you hit the one enemy ship, who first entered the cap. In other words the one, who started capping, hit anyone else and it has no effect. I think that is the mechanic in WoT at least. But that is only my guess. :cap_hmm:

Umm, no

46 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Game_Modes

Down at Domination / Standard

Basically:

Domination (and as far as I know Epicenter is counted under it) capping takes 60s solo or 40s with 2+ ships

So you need 100% to cap. That means a ship (note that a ship refers to 1 ship each tick) will gain 1.67% per tick solo or 2.5% if there are multiple ships.

Each time you hit the ship (bounces count too, with DDs I've noticed that near misses for some reason may reset you aswell - HE splash radius and AP underwater bounce maybe?) it resets the points that only that ship has acquired.

Examples:

Ship "A" in cap:

1. A 1.67%
  2. A 3.33%
  3. A 5%
  4. A 6.67%
  5. A 8.33%
  6. A 10%
  7. *reset* A 0%
  8. A 1.67%

Ship "A" enters cap 3 ticks (seconds) before ship "B", then "B" is reset after 3 ticks, then 2 ticks later "C" enters cap:

1. A 1.67%
  2. A 3.33%
  3. A 5%
  4. *B enters* A 7.5% B 0%
  5. A 7.5% B 2.5%
  6. A 10% B 2.5%
  7. *B reset* A 10% B 0->2.5%
  8. A 12.5% B 2.5%
  9. *C enters* A 12.5% B 5% C 0%
  10. A 12.5% B 5% C 2.5%
  11. A 15% B 5% C 2.5%
  12. A 15% B 7.5% C 2.5%

You surely get the picture.

With Standard the idea is the same, just the times are 180s solo and 120s with 2+ ships, thus % per tick is 0.56% solo and 0.83% with 2+ ships

Practical example:

A BB and a DD enter a cap in Domination. DD is unspotted, BB is spotted. Enemies fire at BB and reset it, team still get the cap, just later than expected. Why? As each ship gets 1 tick, but BB gets reset all the time, effectively DD is capping at half speed (every 2nd tick counts). Thus instead of 40s they get the cap in 80s. DD gets Solo Cap ribbon, BB - despite being in cap for all 80s depending on whether he got the last tick or not gets respectively either the "assisted" ribbon or nothing for it.

True story btw, tested multiple times is randoms while covering divisionmates from getting rushed down :cap_like: (albeit was much easier when everyone was using AP instead of HE)

Now for the original question:

2 hours ago, nambr9 said:

There are 3 enemy ships in a cap capping.

I focus fire one of them. I hit full salvo. Nothing. Hit full salvo again. Nothing. Enemy is still capping.

I switch target to another one (also in the cap). I hit full salvo. 3 defensive ribbons, cap reset. I hit salvo again. 1 defensive ribbon cap reset.

Could be that those 2 ships are getting reset by your teammates more or less every tick? Also I'm not sure if you get the ribbon for just a couple of ticks worth of capping. Then again, if they have very few points acquired on them the difference in their capping may be barely noticeable. Or you just got "lucky" and game forgot to award you the ribbons. Or maybe the game went full on "screw you" mode, bugged out and for some reason they simply didn't get cap points. :cap_tea:

Do you have a replay by any chance? I do think it would be easier to explain this exact situation if I / we were able to check that exact moment. It's easier to notice things when you're not busy concentrating on everything in the game, also freecam helps to change your PoW :cap_haloween:

• Cool 3

[THESO]
Players
4,615 posts
12 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Do you have a replay by any chance?

Unfortunately not (and probably wont in the future), unless they change it so you dont have to manually enable it by tweaking config files ....

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
4 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Unfortunately not (and probably wont in the future), unless they change it so you dont have to manually enable it by tweaking config files ....

I mean, I did it once and had them working ever since, also you can just have replays up and running with a help of a mod so you don't have to do anything manually ;)

[THESO]
Players
4,615 posts
7 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I mean, I did it once and had them working ever since, also you can just have replays up and running with a help of a mod so you don't have to do anything manually ;)

To be honest (thats what i have in my head right now) back in the day you had to manually enable it after every patch. Did they change it  so it stays enabled?

But to be really honest ;), I never saw much value in the replays, specially when I saw how "buggy" they can be.

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
3 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

To be honest (thats what i have in my head right now) back in the day you had to manually enable it after every patch. Did they change it  so it stays enabled?

But to be really honest ;), I never saw much value in the replays, specially when I saw how "buggy" they can be.

I think for the first few patches you sometimes had to re-enable them, but haven't heard of that happening anymore :cap_like:

Despite how buggy replays can be (well, if you use them on the same patch as they were played and don't try to jump ahead / back they work more or less ok) they are great help for situations where you are like "what the f*** that is simply not legit!!!!!". Turns out - you just missed some small detail like being spotted for 2...3 seconds and thus getting hit by someone who had guns in that direction.

It's a really valuable chance to go back and re-check how did you do, what did you do, maybe what you should have done differently when your head is clear because you don't have to pay attention to who's where, what will you do, where to turn your guns, what are your cooldowns and so on :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,762 posts
17,393 battles

HI all,

This is very interesting and I am sure that many players didn't know how it works...

Thanks guys! :Smile_honoring:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

[MACLD]
Players
11 posts
5,094 battles

This is just one of the many examples that make it painfully clear that this game  NEEDS A MANUAL!