Sign in to follow this  
Lieutenant_Hubert_Gruber

Cruisers after Pan Asian DDs

8 comments in this topic

Players
135 posts
3,700 battles

Greetings.

I was just wondering how you fellow cruiser captains feels about the new Pan Asian DDs and how it affects cruisers role in the game?

My point of view. 

So, I've been focused on cruisers and recently DDs for the last 4 months and love'em. Use to be a dedicated brawling BB cap, but times changed and I wasn't able to adopt the new sniping meta ( God it is boring). I love cruisers for their ability to redeploy, stealth, support roles, and so on. Never had issues fighting BBs, but then again I was pretty experienced with BBs, so their strengths and weaknesses were well familiar to me. 

My concern is those new Pan Asian DDs. Hard hitting stealthy deep water torps just seems like a nail in the coffin for cruisers.  It was never an easy task to hunt a DD in a cruiser, yet you felt that you had the upper hand if you were constant aware of your prey's torpedoes. I must admit, that I've seen only a few Pan Asian DDs while grinding my beloved Myoko, but the few times I have, I was nuked out of the water while hunting them.  I always place my ship so I can quickly turn towards the possible incoming torps and never sail in straight line , but VS a  Pan Asian I've lost each time.  Every time I try force them into a corner I lose.  To make things worse... Why the hell did they add radars to those things!  All in all I feel that new content in this game is pushing towards what killed my love for WOT. New gimmicks that leaves older lines obsolete. 

I am aware off the fact that I might be struggling to change and adapt, but my mind screams that Pan Asian was just another bad idea, just like HE, stealthy, zombie healing BBs. What is next?  Have I lost it? 

Beta Tester
2,210 posts
13,178 battles

I dont see that problem either ...

imo the asian DD are more gunboats with strong torps, than torpedoboats with good guns.

This is nothing that worries me too much in a cruiser. 

Hunting DDs in a cruiser always was a interesting task and will be, still. If you charge a smoke and eat the metal fish coming out of it, you are screwed, deepwater torps or not. That`s not gonna change in any way.

It could be different for the ubiquitios BBs ... the dw-torps really seem to hurt more, actually. But this is not a bad development in my humble opinion ... :Smile_trollface:

Players
538 posts

Does hydroacoustic search still spot deepwater torps at a good distance? If it does, perhaps ditch the DFAA on your Myoko and it may make your task easier. Having said that, if a CV is determined to sink you, you have little power to stop them without DFAA. Perhaps I should experiment a bit with my Fiji and Aoba, see how good hydro is.

Thinking about it, the German DD's may be pretty good at combating these new Pan-Asian ships. I Need to get past the T-22 then.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
On 8.12.2017 at 0:47 PM, Centurion_1711 said:

Does hydroacoustic search still spot deepwater torps at a good distance?

Yes it does. Your standard hydro will boost acquisition range to 3-4 km, which, if one is actually paying attention, can be enough for even a battleship like the Bismarck to dodge the torps (German BBs above Bismarck might be too clumsy, but if Bismarck manages it, then cruisers should have few issues). That said, given hydro isn't going to last forever, I think the best protection against DWT is some destroyers inbetween yourself and the enemy DD.

Insofar, DWT make teamwork even more important.

Beta Tester
3,289 posts
3,839 battles

I think that deepwater torpedoes will, if anything, make cruisers more relevant in the game. With access to Hydroacoustic Search and relatively rapid-firing guns, they are still the best DD hunters out there. Relying on Hydro will require more planning than before, true, but the odds can be improved by taking the Vigilance skill and, on ships of tier VIII and above, the Target Acquisition System. If the meta begins to favour destroyers, it should also have the effect of favouring their natural enemies.

• Cool 1

Players
538 posts
2 hours ago, Procrastes said:

I think that deepwater torpedoes will, if anything, make cruisers more relevant in the game. With access to Hydroacoustic Search and relatively rapid-firing guns, they are still the best DD hunters out there. Relying on Hydro will require more planning than before, true, but the odds can be improved by taking the Vigilance skill and, on ships of tier VIII and above, the Target Acquisition System. If the meta begins to favour destroyers, it should also have the effect of favouring their natural enemies.

Well said. Cruisers like Emerald may even be better now because of the mass of torpedoes it carries. If the pan-asian DD smokes up, pop Hydro, advance then dump torps right at them.

Actually, I was enjoying my Minsk recently. It is too fast, so other DD's struggle to nail it, and its accurate, rapid-firing guns make it the bane of pan-asian DD's. Perhaps it might be worth researching more of the Russian DD line if people haven't already.

[DMAS]
Beta Tester
313 posts
2,716 battles

Not a problem yet.

There isn't enough of them to be a problem.

One or two at best in a team isn't a problem 5 BB however...

Sign in to follow this