You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Negativvv

Prem Ships Vs Grinding

Prem Ships eh?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you play Prem Ships?

• Fast grind XP for Daily Containers
    • Buff crew XP whether Elite or otherwise
    • To earn Credits
    • Because they're just better than Tech Tree Ships, more fun, OP, unique etc
    • For variety as grinding Tech Tree ships is too boring and long winded
    • Other (use thread)

36 comments in this topic

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Was thinking just now, dangerous I know...

I play Prem ships far more than tech tree ones, even lines I've taken all the way to T10 I'll barely play.

Prem ships are often at least as good if not better than their tech tree equivalent, maybe it's just me but I find I play my g0ld fleet far more. 

I'm grinding a few lines but I'll play them once a day for the bonus and the odd flag&camo buff game but that's all. 

Not to mention Prem ships earn more XP so you can get containers quicker, give far better credits and crew XP too, which saves you time so you can go do other stuff. 

A few examples would be Enterprise vs Lex, Big E has more fighters and is far more comfortable to use. Kutuzov is simply better than Chapy even if you didn't factor in better earnings. Hood and Nelson are actually fun to play as they have accurate AP unlike KGV which is just a boring fire spammer. Missouri vs Iowa, why would you use an Iowa unless you can't afford a Missouri? The list could go on...

Guess I'm just a dirty wallet warrior :cap_money::cap_rambo:

Anyone else find they predominately play Prems? And why?

• Cool 3

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,576 posts
20,729 battles

Considering Big E is the only premium ship I play on a regular basis:

Because I like to make KM BBabies cry. :Smile_trollface:

Also because it has become a small point of pride to be the best Enterprise player EU (at least according to statistics), so I work hard to maintain that. :)

• Cool 3

Beta Tester, Players
495 posts
5,295 battles

I play premships because I like warships, i like the history, and just ships in general. 2 premships i play because i have actually been to them, the Arizona and Missouri.

I also play tech tree ships for the same reasons.

• Cool 1

[H_FAN]
Players
2,682 posts
45,089 battles

Everyone of them + other (collector wise), but credits is now no longer a factor.

You also play to motivate for yourself the insane money you spend on pixels....:cap_money:

[ONE2]
Players
3,143 posts
23,504 battles

Personally, I do not have many premium ships yet. And while I find those I have to be quite decent, I still prefer to play most games with my regular ships instead. Fujin exempted, it is just too much fun to leave alone for too long - Though there's always Minekaze ... Hhehe! :Smile_smile:

Players
2,447 posts

I have the Scharnhorst &Tirpitz both play as well as my Gneisenhau, Bismarck or Nagato.

I also have the Mutsu which I received via Container and Ishizuchi which came from a Christmas gift last year and rotate my IJN Nagato Captain through them.

I use my premium BB's to level up captains because the Commander XP is better even without any flags at all. Credits are less important...so long as my day ends in profit.

I am only 98k from my next level 19 German Captain (5th now).

I still don't play my premium ships as much as my standard ships because my Tier X Destroyers (lvl 19 Captains) sometimes actually provide better rewards with elite commander XP...

Alpha Tester
1,102 posts
2,731 battles

For one, i like(d) collecting things. Besides, i am interested in history and warships, and while silver/grind/tree ships usually represent a class (with some alterations and fantasy stuff, even added to historical classes), premium ships usually represent a specific ship with more or less historical accurate camo sheme and equipment.

For me, this game never has been about grinding and reaching tier X, but owning the ships i consider interesting and want to play for fun. Thats why i basically stopped at tier 6 with the german cruisers, tier 8 with the german BBs and still cannot find any motivation to advance beyond the Nagato for the mighty Yamato.

Last but not least, i can use all my nations captains on those ships, most of them add something unique and they are cheaper to maintain (if i remember right)...

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
859 posts
10,127 battles

I play a lot of permium ships(/tanks) because they are less prone to the WG buff/nerf cycle - unlike with the silver lines where, by the time you've ground to the higher tier you want, its often already become obsolete.

WoWS also has a severe bottleneck in captain skills - many ships absolutely rely on a full set of captain perks to perform well, yet captain XP is very slow to grind to 19 points - especially if you need multiple captains for different lines. With premiums, you can at least design a decent "daily doubles" strategy where there are multiple premium ships in one line (RU cruisers, RN BBs, US BBs, etc).

• Cool 1

Players
607 posts
6,283 battles

When I started the game, I decided that grinding is for peasants and I'm not one of them. Thus, I immediately invested in high tier premiums, to quickly grab the Exp for Missouri and a 19pts captain (what’s I call the ideal starter pack in the game). Therefore I got some kind of parallel premium tree, usable with just one captain - optimization of resources. At that time the USN BBs were the most developed, now I think there are even more IJN premium BBs with Musashi around the corner.

Now I slowly buy myself all the silver ships in the game, without bothering to grind too much (I really dislike peasant life), thanks to Missouri and that first 19pts captain and all the premiums which are generating the needed resources.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,870 posts
9,524 battles

I play more premiums mostly because they often offer something special which you don't get with the tech-tree ships. And even for those that are not as unique, they still give more credits and XP.

There are still regular ships I go back to though like Myoko, Mogami, Fubuki, Kongo etc. Hmm... lots of IJN ships now that I think about it. :cap_hmm:

[KTS]
Players
359 posts
6,553 battles

I play premium mainly for credits; without premium time it's hard when you have to buy high tier silver ships without sell lower tier.

Second reason is for captain retraining from one silver ship to next and captain xp when i'll reach 19 pts. Currently my highest is at 18.

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
22 minutes ago, PseudoMi said:

When I started the game, I decided that grinding is for peasants and I'm not one of them. Thus, I immediately invested in high tier premiums, to quickly grab the Exp for Missouri and a 19pts captain (what’s I call the ideal starter pack in the game). Therefore I got some kind of parallel premium tree, usable with just one captain - optimization of resources. At that time the USN BBs were the most developed, now I think there are even more IJN premium BBs with Musashi around the corner.

Now I slowly buy myself all the silver ships in the game, without bothering to grind too much (I really dislike peasant life), thanks to Missouri and that first 19pts captain and all the premiums which are generating the needed resources.

That's slightly harsh but lol, wallet warriors unite :cap_rambo:

Prem ships quite often show case the best of what a line has to offer so why grind when there are better things to spend one's time? 

I do grind stuff but only with camo, flags and often the weekend bonus on top. I'll take my time and if I get to the next ship then it's a bonus. I've seen WG move the goalposts often enough not to bother with rushing any line.

• Cool 1

Players
607 posts
6,283 battles
6 minutes ago, Favuz said:

Second reason is for captain retraining from one silver ship to next and captain xp when i'll reach 19 pts. Currently my highest is at 18.

"Captain retraining" thing becomes void when you get the first 19pts. You do it instantly with Captain free exp instead of needing time and an appropriate premium ship.

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,398 posts
7,298 battles

Credits mostly, but also other:

When Im grinding a line I sell the previous ship. Premiums I use for if I want to play a game at a certain tier: e.g. if a mate fancied pratting about at tier 3 then I dont have any silver tier 3, nor any inclination to rebuy them. Instead I'd use the katori, cambeltown etc

Similarly he's grinding tier 7, and im not, so I'd jump in atlanta or something rather than rebuying fiji

[HOO]
Players
1,982 posts
3,802 battles

Mostly for credits,given that I'm grinding lines.

But also because some of them are just iconic ships with tremendous history behind them 

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
1 minute ago, PseudoMi said:

"Captain retraining" thing becomes void when you get the first 19pts. You do it instantly with Captain free exp instead of needing time and an appropriate premium ship.

With weekend bonuses, a full set of flags, camo then add a good win can net upwards of 20k + Elite XP in a single game. Why even bother playing Silver ships when the time/reward ratio is that epic with Prems?

• Cool 2

Quality Poster
2,376 posts
17,720 battles

I buy and play premium ships largely for variety. I bought them originally to train captains, but elite captain XP has rendered that pointless. Now I just play premium ships because I think they're fun or funny i.e. the Atlanta.

[WGB]
Players
198 posts
2,690 battles
9 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Considering Big E is the only premium ship I play on a regular basis:

Because I like to make KM BBabies cry

My favourite reply above.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,117 posts
12,576 battles

I mostly play premiums for flavour(some of the premiums are much more interesting than the tech tree equivalents), captain XP and credits or simply because they look stunning, USS Kidd for example is easily the most beautiful DD in the game:cap_tea:

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

I play them mainly for fun. I tend to play the ones that are considered up. Because I like their playstyle. 

Sims and Atlanta. I do own the belfast, Kutuzov, saipan, etc. But I rarely play these ships. 

[H_FAN]
Players
2,682 posts
45,089 battles
10 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I have the Scharnhorst &Tirpitz both play as well as my Gneisenhau, Bismarck or Nagato.

I also have the Mutsu which I received via Container and Ishizuchi which came from a Christmas gift last year and rotate my IJN Nagato Captain through them.

I use my premium BB's to level up captains because the Commander XP is better even without any flags at all. Credits are less important...so long as my day ends in profit.

I am only 98k from my next level 19 German Captain (5th now).

I still don't play my premium ships as much as my standard ships because my Tier X Destroyers (lvl 19 Captains) sometimes actually provide better rewards with elite commander XP...

Well I have also bought prem camos on several ships which also makes me play some ships less, f.e. I got Zao prem camo with 100 %XP so the need to play Atago is not high

Weekend Tester
859 posts
10,127 battles

For those that have been in WoT since early days, there is of course another compelling reason to buy Premium ships : at least one of the early Premium ships will likely be the "Type 59" of the game - OP as heck for a couple of years, probably pulled from sale permanently once WG realise their error, and thereafter an object of jealous coveting from anyone who didn't buy one in time.

(p.s. I missed the Type 59 by about thirty minutes, back in the day..... I learnt my WG lesson.....)

• Cool 1