Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Grandorf

Concealment Expert overrated?

118 comments in this topic

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,053 battles

Yes, I will be crucified. 

I have not seen the point of putting these 4 points other than on DDs and CVs. 

You are spotted either way in Cruiser and BBs and after that its useless since 

firing takes it away.

Players
3,015 posts
7,832 battles

On battleships and cruisers it is vital to be able to become undetected, for avoiding damage or healing up. With concealment expert you can do that sooner / closer to the enemy. There is no ship I have where I would not take CE (except Kongo).

• Cool 4

[AAO]
Beta Tester
118 posts
4,956 battles

It's pretty important on ALL the classes. Without it you have a hard time disengaging from bad situations.

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,398 posts
7,298 battles

A full concealment build cruiser/BB is not spotted all the time anyway - you can very easily manage when you become spotted.

A concealment build BB is only spotted for 20 secs when firing. The gun reload is between 24-32 seconds. This give you a time to dissapear and shift your positioning so the enemy cant see where your turrets are aiming before you fire.

A concealment BB can stop firing, disapear, and use the period of being unspotted to make manouvers that expose broadside. A spotted BB would die doing this.

A concealment cruiser can in several case stealth torp, functioning like a large DD. They can also stop firing if they have too much attention, allowing them to fall back to a favourable position before firing again. 

A full concealment cruiser can sneak closer for radar suprise on DD

A full concealment cruiser can in a pinch cap a point undetected

• Cool 9

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,053 battles

With so many DDs in battle these last weeks you are basically permaspotted.

You cant outrun and hide from anything in BBs and most cruisers. 

And the biggest thing is when firing you are atleast a point on minimap.

[ONE2]
Players
3,142 posts
23,504 battles

Well, personally I have it for my DD's and Cruisers only. BB's are going to be spotted and stay spotted from far away anyways so there seems to be little point to do that. Besides, I find the Fire Prevention&AFT combo much more appealing for BB's.:cap_hmm:

As far as CV's are concerned - Well they have no business being so close to the enemy in the first place. I always found that actually driving your CV around the map a bit works just fine to avoid inconvenient detection most times and once caught by an enemy DD or Cruiser too near no amount of stealth is going to be enough anyways. :cap_old:

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,053 battles
7 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

This give you a time to dissapear and shift your positioning so the enemy cant see where your turrets are aiming before you fire.

This was funny, I played Wyoming and you aint disappearing anywhere in her. Sold that 

afwul ship. EVERYTHING was ultraslow, good guns though.

Players
3,015 posts
7,832 battles
5 minutes ago, Grandorf said:

Of course you can. You think it the wrong way: The concealment gives you the range from the enemy you can operate and always being able to disengage, in the case you are outnumbered, or because you must turn, or you wait for you next damage control party / heal.

[AAO]
Beta Tester
118 posts
4,956 battles
4 minutes ago, Grandorf said:

With so many DDs in battle these last weeks you are basically permaspotted.

And the biggest thing is when firing you are atleast a point on minimap.

It's already down. It was up due to missions, but no more massive brawls of dds anywhere. Concealment is just so much value and you aren't perma spotted in higher tiers where DDs don't want to come close since there are so many radars. Your stats don't show that good of a performance so maybe you should try improving a bit and gain game knowledge. If you don't want to run concealments it's not my problem. I just hope that I don't get you as a team mate.

• Cool 1

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,053 battles
4 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Well, personally I have it for my DD's and Cruisers only. BB's are going to be spotted and stay spotted from far away anyways so there seems to be little point to do that. Besides, I find the Fire Prevention&AFT combo much more appealing for BB's.:cap_hmm:

As far as CV's are concerned - Well they have no business being so close to the enemy in the first place. I always found that actually driving your CV around the map a bit works just fine to avoid inconvenient detection most times and once caught by an enemy DD or Cruiser too near no amount of stealth is going to be enough anyways. :cap_old:

Wow, actually someone who thinks like me, you can be on my right side at the crucifiction.

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
3,142 posts
23,504 battles
1 minute ago, Grandorf said:

Wow, actually someone who thinks like me, you can be on my right side at the crusifiction.

Hhehe! I'd prefer a pint instead tho. :Smile_honoring:

[HOO]
Players
1,980 posts
3,802 battles
16 minutes ago, Grandorf said:

Yes, I will be crucified. 

I have not seen the point of putting these 4 points other than on DDs and CVs. 

You are spotted either way in Cruiser and BBs and after that its useless since 

firing takes it away.

i have to disagree, given the current BB heavy meta

Not being spotted whilst closing in and trying to get yourself into a useful position, or in some cases gun range, near enough demands Concealment on a cruiser as the first 4pt skill.

And it can be very useful on brawling BB's like the KM's as they burn so well, its nice to have it so you can get that bit closer before the HE spam firing starts.

• Cool 2

Players
3,015 posts
7,832 battles
1 minute ago, Grandorf said:

Wow, actually someone who thinks like me, you can be on my right side at the crusifiction.

You want advice, discussion, or do you simply seek for confirmation of your opinion?

[CATS]
Players
28,818 posts
15,115 battles
  • It is important on most ships Tier VIII and later
  • Cruiser can profit sooner, but the advantage is low at Tier V and lower
  • DD profit at any Tier
  • BB can work without the skill, but you should know how to tank
  • Cool 2

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,053 battles
Just now, Oely001 said:

You want advice, discussion, or do you simply seek for confirmation of your opinion?

No, not at all. I have almost no ships (yet) where Concealment expert is concidered. Very few 10 points captains. 

4 points seems so much but everybody says you MUST have CE. Take clan battles, everybody has Radio Location.

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,053 battles

Take Emile Bertin, a favorite. 4 points went to IFHS, I play super aggressive in Emile. 

I find it more important to get away alive when spotted, because Im always spotted with 

my playstyle.

[HOO]
Players
1,980 posts
3,802 battles
4 minutes ago, Grandorf said:

No, not at all. I have almost no ships (yet) where Concealment expert is concidered. Very few 10 points captains. 

4 points seems so much but everybody says you MUST have CE. Take clan battles, everybody has Radio Location.

What skills you take really depend on what you want to do with the captain long term. 

If you intend to use him to grind a line then a skill that doesn't seem obvious in one ship / tier combo will pay later up the line.

If your captain is specific to a ship, then skill him to suit the ship and your style of play. 

• Cool 1

Players
3,015 posts
7,832 battles
8 minutes ago, Grandorf said:

To make it simple: You have 44% winrate on battleships. I have 55% winrate on battleships, and I recommend CE on nearly all battleships. There are guys with even much better winrate than me, and they will tell you the same. Think about it. You can take Fire Prevention instead, but that's also 4 points, and you don't get the offensive benefit from CE.

• Cool 3

[AAO]
Beta Tester
118 posts
4,956 battles
1 minute ago, Oely001 said:

To make it simple: You have 44% winrate on battleships. I have 55% winrate on battleships, and I recommend CE on nearly all battleships. There are guys with even much better winrate than me, and they will tell you the same. Think about it. You can take Fire Prevention instead, but that's also 4 points, and you don't get the offensive benefit from CE.

CE and fire prevention is the meta. For CV heavy days/times I run AA build on some ships. Like you said CE is very good on offense and defense.

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,053 battles
Just now, Oely001 said:

To make it simple: You have 44% winrate on battleships. I have 55% winrate on battleships, and I recommend CE on nearly all battleships. There are guys with even much better winrate than me, and they will tell you the same. Think about it. You can take fire prevention instead, but that's also 4 points, and you don't get the offensive benefit from CE.

Good, this is what Im lookin for, stats and experience (I have neither). 

For us beginners it is easy to follow the "must have" tips without further 

speculation.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,506 posts
25,858 battles

CE on US, UK BBs is very good because those have already good camo.  On JP not so much because those have very bad camo, also on GE BBs you need to close in and the secondaries setup is better.

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
805 posts
4,494 battles

Concealment Expert is, quite simply, an ability to be closer to the action than you would otherwise be able to get all other things being equal. In that sense there are few skills more useful in the game.

Concealment Expert is just one of two, the other being Adrenaline Rush, commander skills that go on every single one of my ships.

• Cool 4

Players
1,313 posts
19,716 battles

CE is valuable even on IJN BBs to shorten that ridiculously high detection range. I have it on all my ships be it DD, CL or BB and I find it highly useful.  

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this