You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_Xaero_

What's the point of new Pan Asia line?

50 comments in this topic

[DAVY]
Players
163 posts
10,765 battles

This isn't a rant threat or anything, just generally curious.

Up to the Gadjah Mada at the moment.

Only criticisms I have is that I don't see what makes them "special". The guns from T8 onwards are basically the ones you have on the American line, and the torpedoes deal the same kind of damage that the Americans do - and you're also at a disadvantage since your torpedoes can't hit other destroyers. You could argue that having radar makes them special, which I suppose it dose, but it isn't really usable unless you have support, which in random games, is non-existent at times :P The only USP I see if that their spotting range is under 1km for their torpedoes.

I guess what i'm trying to ramble on about is that the Pan Asian line feels like the American line minus the ability to be able to hit other destroyers with your torps. What do you guys think?

edit: despite my feelings I have had fun playing the new line regardless

[PMI]
Players
240 posts
124 battles

Make FOTM kids spend their bloons and cash to rush through the line.

They are nothing special, but they sure have been hyped quite a lot, those DWT are not that good are they?

• Cool 5

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles

If your torps being USN ones pretty much, incapable of surprising DDs in smoke in "a fair exchange" for being harder for BBs to detect for which you'll have to manage to gun down other DDs/cruisers in the way or going all the way around the map to surprise BBs being useless the long time you'll need to get there I guess that's the point of them for you.

Other that that, not a DD player really, but I guess none. You could choose an American or Russian DD and do your usual stuff as always.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
163 posts
10,765 battles
2 minutes ago, juanxmar said:

Make FOTM kids spend their bloons and cash to rush through the line.

They are nothing special, but they sure have been hyped quite a lot, those DWT are not that good are they?

Looking at the damage between the American line and the Pan Asian line, damage is pretty much identical, around a max. of 17k. I assumed that they maybe cause more floodings or something, but I had two torps hit the nose of a BB and got none from it P:

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles
1 minute ago, _Xaero_ said:

I had two torps hit the nose of a BB and got none from it P:

That's weird. Aren't torpedo hits in the bow supposed to deal a guaranteed flooding?

[DAVY]
Players
163 posts
10,765 battles
1 minute ago, SHDRKN4792 said:

If your torps being USN ones pretty much, incapable of surprising DDs in smoke in "a fair exchange" for being harder to detect to BBs for which you'll have to manage to gun down other DDs/cruisers in the way or going all the way around the map to surprise BBs being useless the long time you'll need to get there I guess that's the point of them for you.

Other that that, not a DD player really, but I guess none. You could choose an American or Russian DD and do your usual stuff as always.

I guess so. The detection range is nice and the deep water torps adds something different to the game, guess I will have to just git gud at gunning other DDs down without restoring to torps in their smoke

[DAVY]
Players
163 posts
10,765 battles
Just now, SHDRKN4792 said:

That's weird. Aren't torpedo hits in the bow supposed to deal a guaranteed flooding?

That's what surprised me, hit right on it, one on either side and got no floods. Maybe RNG really hated me that game?

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles
Just now, _Xaero_ said:

That's what surprised me, hit right on it, one on either side and got no floods. Maybe RNG really hated me that game?

Could be but it's really weird. As far as I know ships have a chance or resisting a flood if torps hit the armored belt but in the bow they're supposed to always deal a flood.

[DAVY]
Players
163 posts
10,765 battles
4 minutes ago, SHDRKN4792 said:

Could be but it's really weird. As far as I know ships have a chance or resisting a flood if torps hit the armored belt but in the bow they're supposed to always deal a flood.

Hm. This happened last week so I don't have the replay of it, tho I wonder if deep water torps have a higher chance of flooding than normal ones?

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles
3 minutes ago, _Xaero_ said:

Hm. This happened last week so I don't have the replay of it, tho I wonder if deep water torps have a higher chance of flooding than normal ones?

Haven't cheched on the stats for that yet. I'm not planning on playing them past tier 4 where you can probably devastate a ship if you hit them anyways so I haven't looked at the flooding chance.

[DAVY]
Players
163 posts
10,765 battles
Just now, SHDRKN4792 said:

Haven't cheched on the stats for that yet. I'm not planning on playing them past tier 4 where you can probably devastate a ship if you hit them anyways so I haven't looked at the flooding chance.

Fair enough (=

Players
4,390 posts
12,087 battles

Haven't started the PA line just yet. I want to avoid the "kill harvest trolls" who are thinking they are awesome to club seals who are figuring out a new line. I'll start it around February. Once the hype has cooled down. Regarding the matter at hand I'd say the PA DD line is a mid to end phase shining line. IMO the biggest mistake of DD players is actually the same as border hugging BB's: getting a OCS disorder to cap and thus throwing your ship away in the opening phase. Scouting it the most important thing for a DD. Especially in the beginning. With the PA line: you can't torp DD's, so what's the point of OCS-ing a early cap instead of scouting? Personally I think, when played well, the PA line can make look Kamikaze R bad, regarding torping ZomBBies...

• Cool 1

[OHRIP]
Players
1,131 posts
9,818 battles
1 hour ago, _Xaero_ said:

This isn't a rant threat or anything, just generally curious.

Up to the Gadjah Mada at the moment.

Only criticisms I have is that I don't see what makes them "special". The guns from T8 onwards are basically the ones you have on the American line, and the torpedoes deal the same kind of damage that the Americans do - and you're also at at a disadvantage since your torpedoes can't hit other destroyers. You could argue that having radar makes them special, which I suppose it dose, but it isn't really usable unless you have support, which in random games, is non-existent at times :P The only USP I see if that their spotting range is under 1km for their torpedoes.

I guess what i'm trying to ramble on about is that the Pan Asian line feels like the American line minus the ability to be able to hit other destroyers with your torps. What do you guys think?

edit: despite my feelings I have had fun playing the new line regardless

They have this excellent smoke and good guns which is quite fun but can't hit enemy DDs in smoke which in my experience is often problematic. So they have a weird mix of good stats and still being kind-of crap overall. I think they can excel when teaming up with other DDs, especially US higher tiers. Solo you have to work quite hard to make them work. The TVII seems to be quite good solo though due to the insane rate of fire. They are definitely different from any other DD techtree whether they are fun to play, hard to say.

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,869 posts
21,678 battles
17 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

I'll start it around February.

If you have the commander XP mission, you may want to play enough games to get the 5 wins necessary to get the 129K commander XP.

Because that's a lot of commander XP.

Players
4,390 posts
12,087 battles
22 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

If you have the commander XP mission, you may want to play enough games to get the 5 wins necessary to get the 129K commander XP.

Because that's a lot of commander XP.

I'm afraid I don't get this Ara. I bought the "dragon" bundle several eons ago and my Lo Yang captain is IIRC (not loged in now) in the 16 or 17 points range. I'll kick his @ss on the line first, use my free captain XP to throw him to 19 asap. Like I do to all my grinding lines. In order to harvest more free capt XP....

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,897 battles
1 hour ago, _Xaero_ said:

Looking at the damage between the American line and the Pan Asian line, damage is pretty much identical, around a max. of 17k. I assumed that they maybe cause more floodings or something, but I had two torps hit the nose of a BB and got none from it P:

1 hour ago, SHDRKN4792 said:

If the ship is currently using damage control, you can't get any floodings/fires on it.

About the flooding chance, it is very high compared to most other torpedos. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Torpedoes_(WoWS)#Ship-Launched_Torpedo_Statistics

The highest chance is still found at Shimakazes 12km torps.

[DAVY]
Players
163 posts
10,765 battles
1 minute ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

If the ship is currently using damage control, you can't get any floodings/fires on it.

About the flooding chance, it is very high compared to most other torpedos. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Torpedoes_(WoWS)#Ship-Launched_Torpedo_Statistics

Derrr, sorry, forgot that was a thing lol

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles
6 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

I understand that a flooding that starts while a BB has it's damage control up gets repaired instantly, but don't you get the flooding ribbon anyways even if it does 0 damage because of the insta-repair?

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,869 posts
21,678 battles
49 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

I'm afraid I don't get this Ara. I bought the "dragon" bundle several eons ago and my Lo Yang captain is IIRC (not loged in now) in the 16 or 17 points range. I'll kick his @ss on the line first, use my free captain XP to throw him to 19 asap. Like I do to all my grinding lines. In order to harvest more free capt XP....

In the last two weeks there were missions chains that rewarded people who finished them:

-15x +100% XP for wins in Pan-Asian DD.

-129K commander XP added to a Pan-Asian DD captain after winning 5 games.

Both rewards can only be claimed until the end of December.

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,989 posts
4,247 battles

What's the point of new Pan Asia line?

To appeal to the Asian players. WG/Lesta themselves said so as well.

Weekend Tester
805 posts
4,494 battles

With respect, it's this sort of attitude that encourages WG to introduce more and more gimmicks to try to artificially vary gameplay between lines. If the question was more as to why a nation with little to no indigenous ship designs, forcing recycling of ships already in the game, was introduced then the answer is simply to pander to the different national player bases. The notion of not wanting to play a new line if there's nothing 'special' about it is dangerous for the health of the game though, we're already at (probably already beyond at this point) a tipping point with gimmicks that almost resulted in radar on the RN BBs, let's not give WG any more encouragement to carry on with it!

• Cool 1

Players
2,447 posts

I too have the Gadjah Mada and think it is a cracking little DD. It's guns deal effectively with all other Destroyers in the same Tier and even higher, even the Russian lines.

I also take on Cruisers with guns in mine and do very well.

My ship has 6.1k concealment so I can get in real close and even though the torpedoes are slow by judging the speed of the target I usually manage to get the fish home.

The fact that the torpedoes cannot hit Destroyers means that in confrontation with an enemy Destroyer your have to be accurate with your guns...after a few rounds it is the enemy DD that usually disengages or pops smoke.... My PA Destroyer can also take some hefty punishment and survive. All in all I think it is a great addition and I cannot wait to get to Tier X....

[CAIN]
Players
4,825 posts
20,091 battles
11 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

Haven't started the PA line just yet. I want to avoid the "kill harvest trolls" who are thinking they are awesome to club seals who are figuring out a new line. I'll start it around February. Once the hype has cooled down. Regarding the matter at hand I'd say the PA DD line is a mid to end phase shining line. IMO the biggest mistake of DD players is actually the same as border hugging BB's: getting a OCS disorder to cap and thus throwing your ship away in the opening phase. Scouting it the most important thing for a DD. Especially in the beginning. With the PA line: you can't torp DD's, so what's the point of OCS-ing a early cap instead of scouting? Personally I think, when played well, the PA line can make look Kamikaze R bad, regarding torping ZomBBies...

Got farmed yesterday by a seal clubbing PA DD division, decided that it's a bad time to play PA DDs and started playing my DD hunter DDs to farm PA DDs myself.^^

My US DDs worked quite well in all tiers and my RU DDs finally can use their torps without the need to yolo rush. ^^

The line so far feels not good nor bad, just...unfinished...for the lack of a better word, which is due to the DW torps, which takes getting used to.