You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ThePurpleSmurf

Upcoming Events Sidebar

13 comments in this topic

Players
1,786 posts
11,908 battles

Well, it's annoying. It's a good feature on the forum portal, like the WG Staff Posts, Important Topics and so on, but once i click a forum/subforum, this sidebar has to hide. It takes up so much space for nothing and with info, that actually belong on the main portal in the right sidebar or calender and not necessarily in the forum in first place.

So please WG web team, change the settings so the upcoming events are hidden while browsing the forums, just like it is with the other sections, like it is on all other WG regions forums.

p.s.: yes i know, it is not gameplay related, but the forum actually has no proper subforum to deal with suggestions/complaints that are website/forum related.

• Cool 7

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,865 posts
21,648 battles

Agreed, the sidebar shouldn't reduce the space of the forum. I don't know who thought this would be a good idea, as it is an uneconomical use of space.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts

Please give us a way to hide it or move it, I agree it's poorly placed,  it makes the forum thread list really cramped and I use a laptop which has limited screen space.

[PMI]
Players
240 posts
124 battles
16 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

Please give us a way to hide it or move it, I agree it's poorly placed,  it makes the forum thread list really cramped and I use a laptop which has limited screen space.

Not to mention is in languages most of us cant even read, are there not turk-german-polish forums? Keep those announcements there?

Players
1,786 posts
11,908 battles

Well, we have to face it, they don't care and we are stuck with this ugly sidebar for the rest of our WoWs life.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,756 posts
17,320 battles

HI all,

You can use the Mozilla Firefox (albeit not the latest version because they disable all old extensions :Smile-angry:) and following AddOns:

Adblock Plus v2.9.1

Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus v1.4

And hide the following WWW page element:

forum.worldofwarships.eu##DIV#ipsLayout_sidebar

Leo "Apollo11"

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,375 posts
3,950 battles

I have honestly never seen it as a problem, as it does not take up that much space.

But please let me know (by replying) if this is something that annoys a lot of people, then we could always turn it off for the subforums. The reason we have it enabled is because many people go directly to a subforum and would otherwise not see the events at all.

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,353 posts
26,373 battles
7 minutes ago, MrConway said:

... many people go directly to a subforum and would otherwise not see the events at all.

Gotta agree but on PC it takes alot of space and creates empty space.

[PUPSI]
Freibeuter
11,790 posts

10 minutes ago, MrConway said:

I have honestly never seen it as a problem, as it does not take up that much space.

for me it fills about 1/4 of my screen width...

I'd prefer to have it only on the main forum page, where you also see all language subforums

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles
11 minutes ago, MrConway said:

But please let me know (by replying) if this is something that annoys a lot of people, then we could always turn it off for the subforums. The reason we have it enabled is because many people go directly to a subforum and would otherwise not see the events at all.

Well, my suggestion would be to reduce the events sidebar next to the announcements on top of the page and leave the topics as they were before, that way the evens would still be visible without eaving all that weird emty space next to the topics we have now.

Players
1,786 posts
11,908 battles
1 hour ago, MrConway said:

It takes up about 1/4 of my viewport (visible area of the browser), which is a lot and i do not maximize my browser as other stuff is going on, on my screen as well.

If people only check subforums and not the portal for news and the calender, which has a own permanent link, then this is their problem and not the problem of those who do check the important sources frequently to not miss anything. I also do not consider this upcoming event as that important, that it must permanently waste 25% of my viewport. Especially not if the events are posted in polish, turkish and other languages i do not speak. I also find it remarkable that 'Important Topics' and 'Staff Posts' (which usually provide important info/news) are considered less important, because these categories are hidden in subforums, yet the events stuff is visible.

But whatever, you have your reasons why this sidebar is there all the time, though i would appreciate it to hide it in subforums or add an option to let the user decide wether or not he want to see this sidebar.