You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Butterdoll

Captain's skills ?

20 comments in this topic

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles

Hy.

I want your advice about the captain's skills, because I have no idea what to choose and I'm struggling with this some time now.

and yes, I see the videos that you see with the captain's build and everything.

But the problem it's meta.

I'll give you an example, when the RNBB appeared they set everything on fire, permanent fires were the death of many cruisers, to worsen even more, everybody started spamming HE, then WG decided to reduced by half? the time of the fires.

In that time the fire extinguisher thingy was a must have, but now with all  of those dds coming soon perhaps the torpedoes alert thingy it's a must have.

What's the best captain's setup for all situations?

I kind know what I want, the problem is  having to choose because  19 points is short.

I did not mess up yet with this captain, and don't want to in the future.

So I appreciate some help.

thank you.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,506 posts
25,963 battles
12 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

So I appreciate some help.

It depends on the class or ship you play, be more specific. There is no universal miraculous skills setup that works for all ships.

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles
16 minutes ago, 22cm said:

It depends on the class or ship you play, be more specific. There is no universal miraculous skills setup that works for all ships.

Sorry.

Cruisers.

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,870 posts
21,702 battles
4 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

Sorry.

Cruisers.

Which nation? Because you have to recognize that different lines have different strengths and needs.

For example RN CLs profit from Smoke Screen Expert and Superintendent, while Russian cruisers are better off going for Demolition Expert and Inertia Fuse.

There is no one stop skill configuration for cruisers like there is for DDs, you can't just always go for the same set and expect it to work.

[NWP]
Players
3,163 posts
17,417 battles

To add to what previous posters said, even in one line you could/need to switch. It depends if you are grinding a line, it if you want to keep a ship. 

So yeah, you'll need to be specific.

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles

All lines but British, t4 to t7, slightly delay in German line, t5 only but the main focus is t6 and t7.

Well so far, in all  my main cruisers I'm thinking going the same way.

I still have ships with captains without any points allocated. And have some captains that are a testament to when I first started this game.(mistakes).

so far, IFA,AR, DE, CE. I'm undecided about the next step ( here where I'm now to 19 points) I just don't have the sufficient points left, or I be left with one point  I've done the maths.

I will need EL, EM and I'm between Jack of all trades, HA, or BS.

and FP or Vigilance.

I'll need one each of the last two.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,506 posts
25,963 battles
1 hour ago, Butterdoll said:

All lines but British, t4 to t7, slightly delay in German line, t5 only but the main focus is t6 and t7.

I still have ships with captains without any points allocated. And have some captains that are a testament to when I first started this game.(mistakes).

so far, IFA,AR, DE, CE. I'm undecided about the next step ( here where I'm now to 19 points) I just don't have the sufficient points left, or I be left with one point  I've done the maths.

and FP or Vigilance.

I'll need one each of the last two.

From the 1 point skills, you need IFA or PT, or both if you can afford it.

From 2 points skills EM and AR, but you don t need EM on RU or GE cruisers because their turrets are fast enough.

From 3 points skills Vigilence. DE is now hardly worth 3 points for a 2% increase. but is still a choice.

From 3 points, CE (and IFHE for guns below 200 mm).

[H_FAN]
Players
2,683 posts
45,154 battles

I know that I am being ridiculed by some but there are cruisers who benefit from LS. Especially lower tiers. On higher tiers I go mostly without. DE is necessary by many. Your captain skills also depends on what flags you run, there is a anti-fire flag there, you naturally use prem repair etc. Some of these measures like flags you naturally do nat have enough for all but maybe 1or 2. FP I ignore on cruisers now with the shorter fire duration. 

I chooe PT over IFA. AR is naturally good but some also benefits from EM. CE is mandatory, but some lower tiers cruisers can be played without.

F.e. I do not have CE on Bogatyr as she is a maxrange kiter if in trouble and she is slow so she does not get away, given that her guns benefit from AFT and BFT I use that instead and I do have a 19 p captain on this ship (only 800+ games) however in Chikuma I have CE, and I plan to take it on Jurien when I reach 10 p in her. The small maps and the general melee type of games prevents CE from being so useful. In higher tiers it is necessary for pure survival and some f.e. RN have very good CE. I have captains in every cruiser T2-T10 of all trees. At the higher tiers when reaching 14 I often prefer AFT as second top skill. 

I seldom play survival builds apart from Superint on a lot of ships.

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,191 posts
9,723 battles
6 minutes ago, Gnirf said:

I know that I am being ridiculed by some but there are cruisers who benefit from LS. Especially lower tiers. On higher tiers I go mostly without.

I sort of agree. French and British cruisers especially are ships that can benefit greatly from Last Stand, so picking that when you have most of the other "core" skills is not a terrible idea even for higher tiers. And in ranked or clan games going LS on certain cruisers is also a viable option.

[SHAFT]
Players
11,804 posts
9,751 battles
13 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

I personaly wouldnt go for DE on German Cruisers. Yorck is kinda the only one who would benefit from it, and Hipper - Hindenburg are better off with other cptn skills.

I mostly use Preventive Maintenance for many Cruisers. IFA i dont use ever, imo its too late anyway when that pops up.

EM for all who need the turret traverse. AR i use on ANY ship.

Superintendent on all hightier cruisers because extra heal. DE for fire starters

CE well must have. Radio i use on Fiji and Takao, both have good concealment and they can benefit from the additional data Radio provides.

IFHE is a must for RU Cruisers till T9. Moskva doesnt need it tho.

For German and RN Cruisers because they dont need stuff like DE: AFT for better AA.

[GG-EZ]
Players
2,636 posts
13,611 battles
1 hour ago, Gnirf said:

I know that I am being ridiculed by some but there are cruisers who benefit from LS. Especially lower tiers.

If you go for french cruisers, take it, and not only low tiers. I'm at Saint Louis now and that thing still gets its rudder knocked out constantly. In my last game as Martel an enemy Kurfurst knocked out my rudder with secondaries, only to do it again the moment it was repaired.

Skill is not a waste on that line.

Edit: also, don't take IFHE on german cruisers.

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,191 posts
9,723 battles
2 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

I personaly wouldnt go for DE on German Cruisers. Yorck is kinda the only one who would benefit from it, and Hipper - Hindenburg are better off with other cptn skills.

Personally I find DE on the Hindenburg a nice addition to my overall damage output. With DE and the reload mod it is a great firestarter, so you can easily force people into either going bow on and suffer from fires and HE damage or turn away thus exposing them to the great AP DPM.

[SHAFT]
Players
11,804 posts
9,751 battles
6 hours ago, ollonborre said:

Personally I find DE on the Hindenburg a nice addition to my overall damage output. With DE and the reload mod it is a great firestarter, so you can easily force people into either going bow on and suffer from fires and HE damage or turn away thus exposing them to the great AP DPM.

I rather run Hydro than DefAA (coz having CVs is like RNG), so i think AFT gives a bit protection IF there is a CV. Effectively speaking DE at T10 gives u ~0,9% better fire chance (against T10 targets) Ofc using the Fire flags seems to be mandatory in that case.

I just personaly dont like the german Cruisers shooting HE. If someone is angling id rather try to get someone elses Broadside than shooting HE.

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,191 posts
9,723 battles
12 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

I just personaly dont like the german Cruisers shooting HE. If someone is angling id rather try to get someone elses Broadside than shooting HE.

Sometimes you don't have a choice however, and since the AP pen angles on german AP is horrible getting that extra firechance to your overall damage output feels valuable to me.

Spoiler

6493a165b1.jpg

This is my current Hindenburg build. I find that this build offer me enough flexibility in each game, and since I tend to switch between Hydro and Def AA depending on what I face. Lately DD's have been spammed a lot so I have gone for Hydro, most other times Def AA since I do tend to face CV's often enough for it to be worth it.

Players
4,608 posts
7,604 battles
8 hours ago, Stixius said:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc

this may be of some help. Otherwise, see if any of the youtubers (the usual suspects like notser, flamu etc.) have done a video of a specific ship and captian build.

Also note (it may not be obvious) that if you click on the drop down list in the bottom right hand corner you can see some recommended builds for the various ships.  Personally I don't agree with a lot of them but it's a good starting point to get you thinking.

On 01/12/2017 at 10:04 PM, Butterdoll said:

and FP or Vigilance.

Some thoughts:

• PT is a far better choice than IFA, if you're relying on the IFA alert then it's usually too late;
  • I think AR is over-rated, although better players than me say otherwise;
  • DE is a waste of 3 points, especially once you get to the heavy cruisers, best case scenario you're going from 12% to 14%;
  • EL is a total waste on 152 mm cruisers, even on the 203's it dubious except as a home for a final point;
  • JoAT, HA and BoS I doubt you'd ever notice.  You're looking at maybe 9 seconds saved on hydro cooldown and DCP from the first 2 skills, and 4.5 seconds shorter fires (a little over 1% of a ships HP pool).
  • FP again not really worth it.

[SHAFT]
Players
11,804 posts
9,751 battles
1 hour ago, Capra76 said:

I think AR is over-rated, although better players than me say otherwise;

Its basicly a DPM increase. I think its very valuable. Ofc for ppl who evaporte instantly its not usefull :cap_haloween: If u however manage to live some time with lower HP, it will definetely increase your damage output potential.

EL is a total waste on 152 mm cruisers, even on the 203's it dubious except as a home for a final point;

At the beginning i used in on Takao. Then at some point when we got free cptn reskills i decided not to take it. Now with the last free cptn reskill i took it back. If u can switch ammo in advance when u will get a cruiser broadside it helps a lot. But 15 sec on normal reload is just not working for that, because it might be that the broadside is gone by the time.

FP again not really worth it.

Yep definetely not. On Cruisers that is. With the 30 sec fire duration in place it would be weird that it actually would make a difference if u live or die because of one fire. And u dont have the tankiness of a BB to sustain longer HE spam, u will die to the HE alpha damage anyway.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
891 posts
8,498 battles
8 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Its basicly a DPM increase. I think its very valuable. Ofc for ppl who evaporte instantly its not usefull :cap_haloween: If u however manage to live some time with lower HP, it will definetely increase your damage output potential.

Indeed. The other day I killed a full health Montana and a Tirpitz within 1-1,50 minutes.

I only had 14 HP left in my Shimakaze, Adrenaline Rush kicked in, rest is history.

A very useful skill for all 3 main classes (DDs, BBs and cruisers in that order).

• Cool 1

[H_FAN]
Players
2,683 posts
45,154 battles
5 minutes ago, tank276 said:

Indeed. The other day I killed a full health Montana and a Tirpitz within 1-1,50 minutes.

I only had 14 HP left in my Shimakaze, Adrenaline Rush kicked in, rest is history.

A very useful skill for all 3 main classes (DDs, BBs and cruisers in that order).

True , I use AR a lot not as first 2p skill, but later. On DDs I use it as an cheaper alternative to Torp reload. Many times on higher tiers you got hit but 1 torp and survives. And on ships like Akizuki or US DDs it helps your gun DPM also. I have it on very high end captain on 16 and above, and some below. 

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
4,612 posts
19 hours ago, Stixius said:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc

this may be of some help. Otherwise, see if any of the youtubers (the usual suspects like notser, flamu etc.) have done a video of a specific ship and captian build.

This. Flamu explains skills in every vid he makes.