Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Verblonde

Huanghe - what do people think?

100 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[SM0KE]
Players
6,404 posts
14,934 battles

So, we have a new premium cruiser: Huanghe.

My, spectacularly poorly-informed impression is: fragile, with smoke + radar hydro (sorry - I had an attack of the stupids), and torps; at tier VI too. I'll be rubbish in it, but it looks promising, if you're actually good at the game (and can avoid the DWTs).

What do competent players think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,561 posts
9,392 battles

You have Flamu's opinion about her. Isn't that enough?

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,113 posts
20,921 battles

Flamu is a bloody good player but his opinion on ships is often flawed...

  • Cool 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BRIT6]
Players
126 posts
4,311 battles

I love me a challenge :D she is fragile and the damage is low but if you work the right ships and make yourself useful in certain ways then she is enjoyable for decent players.

This is however NOT a ship for new players or people who want good games guaranteed. She works well with her stealth and the insane amount of fires she will set but that can all end very quickly if one of the guys you fire at actually realises where those fires are coming from.

Huanghe.PNG

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester, Players
279 posts
8,043 battles

My opinion?

I wouldn't play it in PVP even if I got it for free. A worthy heir of the Krispy Kreme's first iteration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,831 posts
20,102 battles
17 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

Flamu is a bloody good player but his opinion on ships is often flawed...

 

ok lets do this which for example ? the dunquerqe? (which is a bad ship despite all the fanboys)

 

he might be an [edited]sometimes and hes fond of himself but  his judgment on ships is often spot on and inthe rest of the cases mostly reasonably close if you can put his polarizing chouice of words into context.

 

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,338 posts
5,758 battles
20 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

Flamu is a bloody good player but his opinion on ships is often flawed...

There is only one way to know if you will like a ship or not, and that is to try it out for yourself.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,301 posts
3,849 battles
37 minutes ago, _DeathWing_ said:

You have Flamu's opinion about her. Isn't that enough?

 

Flamu's videos are very informative, but his level of skill is so much above mine, that his experience of a certain ship will often differ quite a lot from mine own. This aside, it is also a question of different playstyles.

 

One example of this, that might have some bearing on the Huanghe issue, is that Flamu doesn't like the Perth very much and considers her special moving smoke to be underwhelming. Me, I like the Perth a lot, and I think her moving smoke is one of the best in the game. So I will be keeping an eye on the Huanghe reports and see what other may have to say about her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,113 posts
20,921 battles
11 minutes ago, Gojuadorai said:

 

ok lets do this which for example ? the dunquerqe? (which is a bad ship despite all the fanboys)

 

he might be an [edited]sometimes and hes fond of himself but  his judgment on ships is often spot on and inthe rest of the cases mostly reasonably close if you can put his polarizing chouice of words into context.

 

for one the Cambeltown. He slated her as being crap, Fewer guns than Wicks and longer torp reload than Wakataki..

Most stat sites show her to be one of the best if not the best performing DD at tier 3..

Better guns than Wakataki and Much better torps than Wicks and Amazing torpedo Arch's.. but he ignored all that.

 

IChase is a lot better and so is Notser at ship reviews

 

There are some others as well cant think which ones at moment i would have to look through some of his Vids

 and as @Procrastes says he also douse not like the Perth again one of the best performing tier 6 CA/CL 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,179 posts
12,716 battles

Pile of Dog poo?they just had to get her in T6 were she dont belongs. Sorry no WG 1st prem ship since cbt i dont buy.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,600 posts
7,604 battles

The Arethusa class was designed to be pretty much the absolute minimum a cruiser could be so on the face of it T6 is at least one tier too high, but maybe the combination of smoke and HE brings it close to parity with Leander.

 

The question I have is what does it get over and above Perth.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,301 posts
3,849 battles
50 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

The Arethusa class was designed to be pretty much the absolute minimum a cruiser could be so on the face of it T6 is at least one tier too high, but maybe the combination of smoke and HE brings it close to parity with Leander.

 

The question I have is what does it get over and above Perth.

 

 

She doesn't have to end up over and above the Perth; on an equal footing will suffice just fine.

 

And didn't someone mention radar? First I've heard of it, but there you go. Although I suspect you would have to lose the smoke to get that... which would make the Huanghe a very popular artillery target, very fast indeed.

 

Hydro and smoke it is; thanks for clearing that up, Verblonde!

Edited by Procrastes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,989 posts
4,247 battles
34 minutes ago, lafeel said:

There is only one way to know if you will like a ship or not, and that is to try it out for yourself.

 

Sure, but I don't think people are willing/able to throw money at something if they aren't reasonably sure that they might like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,301 posts
3,849 battles
Just now, Verdius said:

 

Sure, but I don't think people are willing/able to throw money at something if they aren't reasonably sure that they might like it.

 

They might like the 10-point captain, though. Those are a dime a dozen, these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,338 posts
5,758 battles
1 minute ago, Verdius said:

 

Sure, but I don't think people are willing/able to throw money at something if they aren't reasonably sure that they might like it.

Nor was I saying that they should. The closest thing you can do as a compromise is watch as many reviews of said ship and make up your own mind from what you're seeing.

 

And even then you might not be accurate.

 

Quote

They might like the 10-point captain, though. Those are a dime a dozen, these days.

And some of us have extras since last xmas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,831 posts
20,102 battles
29 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

for one the Cambeltown. He slated her as being crap, Fewer guns than Wicks and longer torp reload than Wakataki..

Most stat sites show her to be one of the best if not the best performing DD at tier 3..

Better guns than Wakataki and Much better torps than Wicks and Amazing torpedo Arch's.. but he ignored all that.

 

IChase is a lot better and so is Notser at ship reviews

 

There are some others as well cant think which ones at moment i would have to look through some of his Vids

 and as @Procrastes says he also douse not like the Perth again one of the best performing tier 6 CA/CL 

 

i dont agree in the campeltown cause that ships stats are distorted by sealclubing cpts.

if you look at his cometarys you need to bear in mind they are made for a world full of flamus piloting the opposing ships, that you need to put into context.

 

LOL ichase? i unsubed this guy cause some of his reviews were terrible....

 

notser is  good but he has a way less competetive mindset from which he judges ships,

thats sometimes helpful but not when you want to get down to the core (possible) performance of a ship.

 

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,404 posts
14,934 battles

Sorry, not radar: *hydro* and smoke at the same time. That makes more sense...

 

My Bad.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,301 posts
3,849 battles

Hydro should put the Huanghe on par with the Perth, then, in this regard. On top of that, the Perth has her little Walrus spotter plane with extra fuel tanks.

 

And there is something else that the Perth has got, something very special. Something that makes her truly unique among her peers...

...she's got koalas! *

 

There is no way the Huanghe could compete with koalas. Unless, perhaps, with... pandas?

 

No, that wouldn't fly. Pandas are an endangered species; the WWF would have a fit. And the SPCCA** would probably be up in arms as well.

But still.... a man can dream!

 

* I'm not kidding. Looking carefully, you can see at least one of them, a naughty little fellow in pink fur hugging the aft mast. You might have to zoom in on the nearby AA mount to see it, but it's there.

** The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Cute Animals

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,404 posts
14,934 battles

Apropos value of different review sources: I tend to look at as many as possible; it's rare that any one will provide 100% overlap with your own views and preferences, whilst several (even if you disagree with them) should provide a more complete picture.

Quite apart from that, I read reviews from more than one perspective: a) Me as I am now i.e. complete tomato b) Me as I hope to become i.e. at least 'average'. So, does the thing do anything useful for me now (most likely, as a learning aid, and often in PvE only), and what might it do in the future, when I'm marginally less incompetent (ideally in PvP)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
3,146 posts
17,389 battles

Apart from probalby being a bad ship (I'll go with Flamu on this, he has yet to let me down on ship reviews), it's a bloody Tier VI ship. And well, T6 MM isn't as bad as T5 MM, but it aint good either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,989 posts
4,247 battles
2 hours ago, Gojuadorai said:

 

i dont agree in the campeltown cause that ships stats are distorted by sealclubing cpts.

if you look at his cometarys you need to bear in mind they are made for a world full of flamus piloting the opposing ships, that you need to put into context.

 

LOL ichase? i unsubed this guy cause some of his reviews were terrible....

 

notser is  good but he has a way less competetive mindset from which he judges ships,

thats sometimes helpful but not when you want to get down to the core (possible) performance of a ship.

 

Stuntman is now a CC as well and aside from stat previews he has begun uploading gameplay of WiP ships as well.

Spoiler

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,404 posts
14,934 battles
1 hour ago, Procrastes said:

 

 

And there is something else that the Perth has got, something very special. Something that makes her truly unique among her peers...

...she's got koalas! *

 

 

 

I would buy Perth like a shot if/when it gets re-released (IIRC it was mooted to be re-released some time after the current patch); that goes *double* if there are koalas...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×