Sign in to follow this  
Crysantos

New Operation: The Ultimate Frontier

15 comments in this topic

WG Staff
3,415 posts
14,994 battles

Dear Captains,

With the release of Update 0.6.14, a new operation, "The Ultimate Frontier", will be added to the game - it's only available for ships on Tier VII. Please share your feedback on this new operation!

[STK-]
Players
1 post
2,985 battles

Hi,

I noticed that the "Priority Target" skill (the one that tells you how many people are targeting you) does not seem to work in this operation, while it did in previous operations if memory serves. I experienced this issue with both the Antlanta and the Shchors with fully trained captains (i.e. not currently undertaking retraining) that have that skill equiped.

Other than that, it's quite a fun operation, though I think it might be a bit too easy. I got five stars in 2 out of 3 attempts in solo queue. But that might just be luck with the matchmaking giving me good teammates. I'd need a few more battles for my star/battle ratio to be statistically significant.

[BABBY]
Players
781 posts
11,253 battles

So far I'm not liking this op, had a few 4 star wins and some more defeats. Another operation that favours high-dps ships like Schors or Scharnhorst where others are clearly sub-par (Gneisenau for example). The sheer number of attacking destroyers is crazy and by that time a few of the friendly cruisers are usually already dead. Player destroyers are still pretty much useless as was the case with tier 6 operations, the AI is simply too good at dodging torpedoes. The timed targets are also tricky to bring down, especially battleships and you can't focus them since someone has to stop the destroyers at the same time...

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

Played it once, aced with 5 stars.

It seems quite dumbed-down (a.k.a. made easier) than it was on PTS. Shame, I loved the challenge it initially presented

• Cool 1

[COSTS]
Players
497 posts
11,798 battles

It feels like an even more difficult version of "Defense of Station Newport" when it was first released. Newport was considered the hardest operation, but the frontier operation is imho even more difficult. Actually far too difficult with random teams. Enemy ships spawn all over the place and overwhelm the team, even if someone somehow survives, that pityful 30K health of the airfield is gone as soon as an any enemy ship gets close.  I really hesitate to click the play button to enter that sh...

Edit: Several tries (including Fiji, Schors, Yorck,) later, shove that operation up in your [edited]. If your goal was to troll me and log off the game, congrats you achieved it.

[ALONE]
Modder
2,266 posts
13,999 battles

I think it is too hard for regular playing. Sure, when you see it as a mission to be finished once, it is nice. But for replayability with random teams it should be as hard as e.g. Aegis. Coop players will not play it often if it is too frustrating with random teams. :/

[COSTS]
Players
497 posts
11,798 battles

Whoever was responsible to "balance" this operation, just one quick advice plz stop drinking and start focus on your work. IT IS TOO HARD!!! Do you understand?

landscape-1469011292-thrones-slap.gif

Players
57 posts
6,921 battles

This operation suffers from the fact that many players will rush and die in the first few mins, which makes it just amount impossible for those left to complete. If you have a nice torpedo boat you can also 'game' the operation by doing a lot of damage against the 3 battle ships while you live and then die with the hope/expectation that the rest of the team will spend the next 15+ mins completing the whole thing.

The result is that the operation does not work well with the current reward system that the game operates. The result is that it is not running with random groups for the likely credits and XP as you will gain more on average from running random battles. This is made worse over this weekend by the Free XP Boost challenge, which is only awarded on random (or ranked) battles.

[TFZ]
Players
66 posts
6,557 battles

I would like to point out not everyone is against a hard operation, I find the difficulty spot on.

Players
1,445 posts
16,929 battles
8 hours ago, Zouron said:

I would like to point out not everyone is against a hard operation, I find the difficulty spot on.

Yeah, feels easier than on pts and I managed to score a bunch of 3-5 star wins there, with no division mates and including some people you couldn't really talk to, because I don't speak russian. 

And for full division play it is not harder than the t6 mission, as long as either everyone is familiar with it or someone is guiding the team via voice chat like TeamSpeak or discord. 

The only thing that bugs me is the fact that the four star reward is awful compared to the one from the T6 ones. 

[HANDS]
Players
290 posts
23,370 battles

Maybe i got lucky.. but got 4 stars in 1st try , on a Shchors, and we had a CV player who got disconected and  died till he reconect.And got 5 stars in 2nd try with a Fiji.(with random players)

[BABBY]
Players
781 posts
11,253 battles

I have one more general comment to all the operations. It should be easier to achieve "poor"  (e.g. 1-2 star) wins. Right now usually you have either a great 4-5 star game with good rewards or defeats which feel like kick in the balls with the exp and credits they give. That or introduce multiple defeat levels, for example if you manage to complete a few objectives and then fail by some unlucky RNG then you get let's say a "3-star defeat" with better rewards as current defeat. As of now a defeat gives very little even if you did good as an individual which is disheartening after a hard carry attempt.

I mean games like this one, base exp was less than 500 I think. Why should I try to carry a lost game in the future with this kind of incentive?

shot-17_12.05_22_08.17-0440.jpg

Players
9 posts
2,887 battles

i liked the ultimate frontier operations it took me five trys to complete this mission and i kept telling people to read the info top left of screen to see what needs to be done to achieve 5 stars and i let them know where the ships will come in advance and we ended up with 5 stars and if you think this ones hard you wait for the new one on the next update 0.15.

[PCI]
Players
63 posts
8,201 battles

I liked it. It can be easily failed if you stumble in the wrong team however it is fun. Just make sure objectives are more clearly pointed to make sure everybody has clear more or less what to do to complete it!

if i have to make a criticism: rewards up to and including 4 stars are a bit on the low side. More than anything the 4th star reward. I would increase the amount of Xp awarded significantly.