Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ryouzanpakku

What CL line to choose?

41 comments in this topic

Players
131 posts
1,021 battles

I have decided to return to WoWs after year or so hiatus. When I have played last time I have tested all the classes (minus CV where I am sure I would not enjoy it :) and found out CL is what I like - ie I am daka-daka man :D

At he time I have chosen soviet CL line and it was not bad - however I have rushed too much and when I have reached T8 my skill was not ready for it and I have got annoyed by being farmed by T10 quite soon. So now I have decided to go much more slowly and will probably stop at T7 for quite a long time - not forever though I will for sure want to get higher when I will have few hundreds battles played on T7. BUT I have to choose what line to go for (with respect to T7-T10).

Option A: return to Stalinium line. I am not that fond of this option as this line is bit too much "snipe from long range" to my taste... I have liked soviet railguns but want to try something else.

Option B: rule Britannia. Was my initial choice - smoke + dakadaka. However only AP rounds (no IFHE which seems amazing to me for CL caliber guns). And no Belfast (missed it for a few weeks :( )

Option C: Stars and Stripes. I am sloooowly grinding to get Cleveland before split will occur. Hiding behind islands should be fun/different from long range sniping... no smoke though and hard to say how the new line will end up.

Any tips? (and no I do not have time to play all of them) :) 

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,147 posts
16,279 battles

Why not the Baguette line ? Starting from tier 5 they are all very good and fun shops to play. From tier 8 upwards they are downright monsters and can cause a lot of tears

• Cool 2

[KTS]
Players
359 posts
6,636 battles

IF U want only CL and don't like Russian, i think you'd better wait for USN cruiser split and go for new line.

Meanwhile you can practice with Cleveland when you reach it, you'll have a shiny new tier 8 cruiser when the split will happen.

• Cool 2

Players
131 posts
1,021 battles
7 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

Grind to Cleveland then start on RN CLs (warning: tier 3-5 are bad, the rest are great)

That is what I am pretty much doing now :) Not sure how will be able to play with AP only though...

6 minutes ago, Corvi said:

Why not the Baguette line ? Starting from tier 5 they are all very good and fun shops to play. From tier 8 upwards they are downright monsters and can cause a lot of tears

Croissant line = CA not CL= 203mm guns = not enough daka for my taste :D

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,139 battles
8 minutes ago, Ryouzanpakku said:

Croissant line = CA not CL= 203mm guns = not enough daka for my taste :D

they're CLs until T6, just like the USN line... and after that they are still reasonably fast firing, compared to say IJN CAs...

I'll say one thing though. Once you're a bit more comfortable with higher tiers (props for being self-critical enough to realize that by the way! already put you ahead of a significant portion of the playerbase...), if you're still looking for Dakka, you may really want to try out the RU DD line. There just isnt anything that comes close to the amount of sheer hilarious run-and-gun Dakka that a Kiev, Udaloi, Tashkent or Khabarovsk can provide. You can start doing that with the Gnevny at T6 and the Minsk afterwards already, but the playstyle really starts to shine at T8 with the Kiev. Just as food for thought...

Players
2,780 posts
17,292 battles
6 minutes ago, Ryouzanpakku said:

Not sure how will be able to play with AP only though...

The AP has special bounce angles and fuses. It's a bit like IFHE with zero fire chance but increased alpha damage.

[KTS]
Players
359 posts
6,636 battles

Beware that, from what i read, RN CL until tier 6 are terrible (I started from Leander after Christmas mission.)

Leander is good and Fiji is great, but also them are not easy for an inexperienced player.

[BLUMR]
Beta Tester
857 posts
11,027 battles
19 minutes ago, Ryouzanpakku said:

That is what I am pretty much doing now :) Not sure how will be able to play with AP only though...

Ap only is not that bad, it's only a problem if the ship is almost at max damage saturation but those cases are very rare.

Your bigger problem with Rn CLs is positioning, if you mess that up chances are you're going to port.

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles

option A.

option C.

and forget option B, that's not an option, it's a mistake.

try French.

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,214 posts
10,287 battles
6 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

and forget option B, that's not an option, it's a mistake.

If you don't know how to position yourself or know which areas of a ship that have the least amount of armor, then yeah it is a mistake.

If you do know however you will struggle to find better XP farmers and suprisingly effective carry machines. All you have to do is to persist until tier 6, and after that it is a wonderful line of ships with the great Leander, extremely strong Fiji and with the buffed heal really fun Edinburgh.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles

If you are a pewpew man, then what you want would probably be the UK line. Yes, you don't get to start many fires (for obvious reasons :Smile-_tongue: ) but they are THE close-range pewpew ships. The other nations, lacking smoke, are forced to camp behind islands and use their range to the fullest - otherwise they just get blapped. The problem of British cruisers is that while they are powerful in a static environment or on the defensive against a push (unless it's a really fast one), they don't really fare too well when they end up on the flank that is actually pushing - having to advance after retreating enemy negates most of their advantages.

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles
3 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

If you don't know how to position yourself or know which areas of a ship that have the least amount of armor, then yeah it is a mistake.

If you do know however you will struggle to find better XP farmers and suprisingly effective carry machines. All you have to do is to persist until tier 6, and after that it is a wonderful line of ships with the great Leander, extremely strong Fiji and with the buffed heal really fun Edinburgh.

I don't doubt that.

But until t6 they are awful, they can be citadel with HE, no DE and no IFHE, just with old plain HE shells.

And Esmerald forward don't like them too, they depend heavily on smoke to do something.

Players
7,311 posts
11,668 battles
1 hour ago, Ryouzanpakku said:

Any tips?

Some of the best games ever I had with Leander & Fiji. They also have the potential to carry or turn a game, the other lines lack that ability imo. But others are right, when they say, RN CLs start to shine on T6. Its even worse then that, its night and day coming from Emerald and going to Leander. Also, it depends, where do you see yourself "staying" so to say. Do you want to play T10 once you are done with grinding or are you happy with T8 / T7, w/e. T8 Chapayev is fun with a decent captain. T7 nothing (of those 3 options) beats Fiji. T10 Minotaur is a monster with crazy AA but one wrong move and you are done. But the Des Moines is superb also. Moskva... istn really a CL anymore and in the current meta not something I like to play tbh.

Players
1,064 posts
4,944 battles

British cruisers, apart form the T 5 mistake and the meh T 4, are great. I'll take Leander over Cleveland anytime, the heal and smoke are priceless.

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles
21 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Some of the best games ever I had with Leander & Fiji. They also have the potential to carry or turn a game, the other lines lack that ability imo. But others are right, when they say, RN CLs start to shine on T6. Its even worse then that, its night and day coming from Emerald and going to Leander. Also, it depends, where do you see yourself "staying" so to say. Do you want to play T10 once you are done with grinding or are you happy with T8 / T7, w/e. T8 Chapayev is fun with a decent captain. T7 nothing (of those 3 options) beats Fiji. T10 Minotaur is a monster with crazy AA but one wrong move and you are done. But the Des Moines is superb also. Moskva... istn really a CL anymore and in the current meta not something I like to play tbh.

49 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

RNCL's were a utter disappointment, yes they can carry or turn a game because of smoke, the only thing they have, apart of ROF and british AP shells.

But if you take the smoke from them, they probably are completely hopeless.

Others ships are  more complete in that sense, and if you gave them smoke probably they would smash the RNCLs, Flints, etc.

A budyonni with smoke vs a Leander, etc, etc.

And that's why I don't like them, very needy ships, very dependable of something ships, because they are worthless by themselves.

Others ships can coupe better with limitations. 

yeah, smoke is priceless.

Players
7,311 posts
11,668 battles
1 minute ago, Butterdoll said:

But if you take the smoke from them, they probably are completely hopeless.

Others ships are  more complete in that sense, and if you gave them smoke probably they would smash the RNCLs, Flints, etc.

A budyonni with smoke vs a Leander, etc, etc.

Eeh yea... Why dont we take AP-shells from the Yamato. So there is a reason why not to play Yamato then right? Or we take Torpedos away from IJN DDs. Man is that a shitty line. Imagine how they would do against other DDs? Dont play IJN DDs cuz without torps they are derp. Or lets remove Planes from US CVs! Man, imagine a US CV with 0 planes against IJN CV. So yea, dont play US CVs cuz without planes they wouldnt stand a chance against IJN CVs.

Do you even read yourself before posting, one must ask?

Beta Tester
2,133 posts
19,313 battles

Nobody mentioning the Nürnberg? The most fun cruiser at T6?

Nah, just kidding.

However, if you wanna know if you are any good as a cruiser player, play the Nürnberg and be valueable to YOUR team (not to the other team). If you can do that, you're good. One good reason to play German CLs every now and then.

Players
8,241 posts
11,855 battles

RN Cruisers become very interesting at T8 onwards when you can take radar then you play as an Atlanta.

Don't know about French stuff but I don't see the point when RU Cruisers exist.

Said RU Cruisers are excellent long range HE spammers and get radar from T8. Joke armour however. 

USN Cruisers are an acquired taste... I enjoyed Pepsi at T7 but the T8 NO is the most frustrating ship I've played recently as it gets rolled over by T10 MM. I literally had about 5 games through the entire NO grind where I was top tier, all the rest were T10 fests where I had to sail around trying to find a target worth shooting. Balti after is strong however, improved 203mm guns, heal, under 9s reload and simply better all round.

I'd go USN now if you want to benefit from the USN split in the new year. But prepare for some learning experiences!

• Cool 1

[WGB]
Community Contributor
2,150 posts
29,679 battles

Grind the Cleveland and play her, as well as destroy DD's, she will also clear the sky of planes, and yes, she is an amazing ship for melting other cruisers and BB's, but be careful, like Russian cruisers she can easily be deleted, keep your distance from BB's and never show broadside to them. 

My best results in the Cleveland is 3620 BaseXP and Pensacola is 3963 BaseXP, 

Also, in the not too distant future, she will promoted to T8, and rightly so.

Russian cruisers are great too, my choice of cruisers.

[BLITZ]
Players
2,853 posts
12,290 battles
21 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

RN Cruisers become very interesting at T8 onwards

No Fiji? :Smile_sad:

Players
8,241 posts
11,855 battles
2 minutes ago, SeeteufeI said:

No Fiji? :Smile_sad:

Fiji is strong but radar RN have a different play style. I own the OP that is Belfast so I don't use my Fiji much even if they share an ineffective captain...

[BLITZ]
Players
2,853 posts
12,290 battles
9 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

I own the OP that is Belfast so I don't use my Fiji much even if they share an ineffective captain...

Same here, even if I did more damage on Fiji and had good stats in her, I still sold her. 8.7 km detection is just too good.

Should've kept her launchers and mounted them on Belfast. :cap_haloween:

Spoiler

Dirty full wallet warrior division is also fun sometimes.

A mix of Belfast, Scharnhorst, Leningrad/Saipan should be banned. :fish_haloween:

Players
920 posts
11,130 battles

Step 1: Buy Atalnta

Step 2: Realize what you have done

Step 3: Buy two more Atlantas

Step 4: Buy even a plush Atlanta you can sleep with

Step 5: Profit!

...and also you might get a cpt. trainer for the upcoming USN line, but who  cares about that.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this