Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lieutenant_Hubert_Gruber

Need help with a few questions

9 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
135 posts
3,714 battles

Hey Folks.

 

The last few months I've turned into a DD captain (and IJN cruiser cap) and I've read a few guides here.

 

I still got a few questions ( might have missed them in the guides) 

 

Currently at the tier 7 US Destroyer 

 

1. What do you fire at enemy DDs? HE with IFHE cap skill or AP rounds? 

 

2. I might have been unlucky, but I couldn't pen a Russian cruiser at 6km with AP, so, what is the optimal range for using AP against light cruisers, and should I avoid doing so at certain cruisers? 

 

Thanks for the help folks, 

Nix  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
31,057 posts
15,715 battles

1. HE without IFHE

2. Better use HE. AP does work against true broadside but depends on cruiser. 6km is the maximum range where you should try that. Closer ranges are better.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,981 posts
7,359 battles

With US 203mm you can citadel broadside cruiser at maximum range... But HE are better if your target angle.

 

The only DD that can tank high caliber HE is Khabarovsk. HE penetration is for most ship 1/6 of the caliber (1/4 for german cruisers) and most DDs have 16-19mm of armor.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,048 posts
14,514 battles
20 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

1. HE without IFHE

2. Better use HE. AP does work against true broadside but depends on cruiser. 6km is the maximum range where you should try that. Closer ranges are better.

 

This. Got 13 citadels in my Fletcher against a full broadside Atago at 4-5km but otherwise you better stick with HE.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTT]
Players
1,625 posts
14,901 battles
On 11/29/2017 at 10:12 AM, Lieutenant_Hubert_Gruber said:

Hey Folks.

 

The last few months I've turned into a DD captain (and IJN cruiser cap) and I've read a few guides here.

 

I still got a few questions ( might have missed them in the guides) 

 

Currently at the tier 7 US cruiser

 

1. What do you fire at enemy DDs? HE with IFHE cap skill or AP rounds? 

 

2. I might have been unlucky, but I couldn't pen a Russian cruiser at 6km with AP, so, what is the optimal range for using AP against light cruisers, and should I avoid doing so at certain cruisers? 

 

Thanks for the help folks, 

Nix  

 

Just to make sure we're on the same page, your question relate to USN CAs, right? Cause you state that you're a DD captain and an IJN cruiser captain.

 

If you are talking about USN cruisers, then

1) Yeah, HE but without IFHE (which you don't need)

2) You probably aimed poorly. Different ships have the citadel positioned in different positions but as far as penning cruisers with USN AP, you can do it at pretty much any range. The Pensacola (t7 USN cruisers) can citadel a Moskva with ease if it has its broadside.

Use the armor viewer in port to see the different ships you might be facing and try to memorize their citadel position and you'll be golden.

 

The only USN cruisers where IFHE is worth it are all cruisers at t6 and below and the Atlanta and Flint.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,241 posts
11,855 battles
9 hours ago, Teob_VG said:

 

 

2) You probably aimed poorly. Different ships have the citadel positioned in different positions but as far as penning cruisers with USN AP, you can do it at pretty much any range. The Pensacola (t7 USN cruisers) can citadel a Moskva with ease if it has its broadside.

 

 

 Lel, seeing a Moskva in a Pepsi means mistakes were made somewhere :cap_haloween:

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
135 posts
3,714 battles
On 30/11/2017 at 5:16 PM, Teob_VG said:

 

Just to make sure we're on the same page, your question relate to USN CAs, right? Cause you state that you're a DD captain and an IJN cruiser captain.

 

If you are talking about USN cruisers, then

1) Yeah, HE but without IFHE (which you don't need)

2) You probably aimed poorly. Different ships have the citadel positioned in different positions but as far as penning cruisers with USN AP, you can do it at pretty much any range. The Pensacola (t7 USN cruisers) can citadel a Moskva with ease if it has its broadside.

Use the armor viewer in port to see the different ships you might be facing and try to memorize their citadel position and you'll be golden.

 

The only USN cruisers where IFHE is worth it are all cruisers at t6 and below and the Atlanta and Flint.

 

You are right.  I was asking about dds.  Sorry about that.

 

I was ofc asking what us dds should shoot at other dds :)

 

Sorry guys. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTT]
Players
1,625 posts
14,901 battles
6 hours ago, Lieutenant_Hubert_Gruber said:

 

You are right.  I was asking about dds.  Sorry about that.

 

I was ofc asking what us dds should shoot at other dds :)

 

Sorry guys. 

 

 

For USN DDs, I would stick to HE only against other DDs. You can do decent AP damage on bigger enemy DDs, like Gearings, Grozovois and Khabas. But out of all of those the only one I would actually consider firing AP at is a broadside khaba at around 6-7km.

 

IFHE is not worth it so don't bother with it.

 

As far as penning cruisers, it depends a lot on the angle. If they are totally broadside, you AP should do OK dmg on them. I would suggest you zoom in on your minimap as much as possible (+ on the numpad) and then look at ships you are shooting at to determine their angle. Just using your binocular vision can be misleading.

But again, I would mostly stick to HE.

 

If you want to see actual penetration values for your AP and the dropoff over distance as well as what angle your shells will be landing, use this site. Not saying you should use it each time you see a boat but note down the armour values of some of the cruisers you're up against (use the in-game armour viewer) and then check them against the values there at like 5 and 10 km or something. Make a mental note of your findings and you should be good to go.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×