Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Grandorf

Ramming has to be looked in to.

101 comments in this topic

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,075 battles

Hi

I really think the devs hasnt even studied real life colliding ships. 

Sure there are lotsa damage and flooding but total destruction from 

barely touching each other is ridicoulus. 

Here is a post from NA forums, they really should consider an overhaul 

of the ramming system.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/111889-ramming-mechanic-need-to-be-looked-at/#comment-2725392

• Cool 1

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Erm this was discussed awhile ago, real ship to ship collisions can be utterly catastrophic.

What sort of kinetic energy do you think fifty thousand tonnes going at 30 knots (that's about 34 miles an hour) will generate and what damage do you think it'll do to something? It's way more than a ship's armament I'd wager.

Also WG don't want BBs scraping each other without any damage as it'll slow things down.

• Cool 2

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,075 battles
6 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Erm this was discussed awhile ago, real ship to ship collisions can be utterly catastrophic.

What sort of kinetic energy do you think fifty thousand tonnes going at 30 knots (that's about 34 miles an hour) will generate and what damage do you think it'll do to something? It's way more than a ship's armament I'd wager.

Also WG don't want BBs scraping each other without any damage as it'll slow things down.

Yes, they can be catastrophic but not "instant death" catastrophic.

Its a tactic they say but a few games has become frustrating when a 

puny cruiser with 10 HP hits you in an 10°angle and destroys your BB 

that has 80% left. 

The post suggested a better mechanic like the one in WoT.

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,075 battles

At least they should take angle of impact into account. 

Ships gracing each other should not deal 100% damage.

• Cool 1

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
7 minutes ago, Grandorf said:

Yes, they can be catastrophic but not "instant death" catastrophic.

Its a tactic they say but a few games has become frustrating when a 

puny cruiser with 10 HP hits you in an 10°angle and destroys your BB 

that has 80% left. 

The post suggested a better mechanic like the one in WoT.

Erm how would a 5% Cruiser kill an 80% HP BB?

The damage is capped at the ship's max HP. Unless you're ramming T8 BB in a Moskva or something...

I doubt the WoT model would work here as ships are slower than tanks and have more inertia. You'll find some ships just grind against each other doing low damage and messing up games.

Besides being rammed when you don't want to be is a mistake you've made in positioning.

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,075 battles
Just now, Negativvv said:

Erm how would a 5% Cruiser kill an 80% HP BB?

The damage is capped at the ship's max HP. Unless you're ramming T8 BB in a Moskva or something...

I doubt the WoT model would work here as ships are slower than tanks and have more inertia. You'll find some ships just grind against each other doing low damage and messing up games.

Besides being rammed when you don't want to be is a mistake you've made in positioning.

Thats the problem, no matter angle, speed or HP left the damage is always full HP 

damage of the smaller vessel.

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,075 battles

If you t-bone a vessel (90°) you would impact 90 % of capped HP. 

Then the damage reduces according to angle 45° = 45% damage et.c.

You could set 10% as minimum (almost frontal).

• Cool 1

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
3 minutes ago, Grandorf said:

Thats the problem, no matter angle, speed or HP left the damage is always full HP 

damage of the smaller vessel.

Again that's likely deliberate on WG`s behalf. Displacement isn't going to lower because a ship's taken a beating.

I was inches away from killing a BB in a DD the other day as a kamikaze strike. Got TKed however lol...

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,075 battles
Just now, Negativvv said:

Again that's likely deliberate on WG`s behalf. Displacement isn't going to lower because a ship's taken a beating.

That is true, unfortunately they calculate HP as displacement.

At least speed and angle should be a factor.

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,075 battles

Another strange incident. I took on a Gneisenau with Bismarck, I had about 60% health and 

Gneisenau was melting. When avoiding her torps My Bismarck steered towards her, I went

full reverse  but drifted slowly into Gneisenau which had only a couple of hundred HP left. 

Boom, we both died.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,585 posts
20,730 battles

Collision speed is actually a factor in ramming. Ram a ship too slow and you will both only lose a portion of your HP (though the rest will be rapidly drained if you remain in contact).

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,813 posts
7,256 battles

Dont hang me, but i'd keep the ram thing, it's a good (if not a anoyng one for some) tactic when you'r a low hp DD with a ram flag(yes i use those on my DD's) to take out/majorly damage a full hp/low hp ship (get shot and get sunk or try to pull a sink from davey jones abiss) and mabe change the outcome of a battle :Smile_Default:

(it's not as anoying as the instaboom random detonation, though i saw for me i can only roll that dice with a HE ammo hit near a red's turret, it's prolly just me though) 

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts

Sorry OP, but I think the Ramming mechanic is about absolutely lowest thing in my priority list for them to look at, it's fine as it is and it happens so rarely that any perceived problem is trivial. 

The basic logic of a ship (no matter how damaged) ramming an enemy ship means the damage has to be catastrophic to both parties and the mechanic reflects that, the only unrealistic part is that when friendly ships ram the damage is tiny and when you run aground there's none at all, incidentally running aground has probably sunk more ships throughout the history of man setting to sea than any other cause added together.

Non issue, does not merit any developer time to "fix".

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles

I find ramming mechanics hilarious. I still remember a long time ago when I chased with my cruiser a slower one, catched to him and I exploded dealing almost no damage to him.

A few weeks later someone tried to do the same to me and I remembered what happened to me and turned tail fleeing in response and yes, he rammed me, dealt little damage but he died. Ramming mechanics are a lot of fun.

[CATS]
Players
28,917 posts
15,128 battles
6 hours ago, Grandorf said:

Hi

Here is a post from NA forums, they really should consider an overhaul 

of the ramming system.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/111889-ramming-mechanic-need-to-be-looked-at/#comment-2725392

Why?

This is no simulation.

If you cannot handle it, get better instead of adapting the system to your deficiencies.

[POP]
Beta Tester
1,500 posts
5,323 battles
5 hours ago, Grandorf said:

Another strange incident. I took on a Gneisenau with Bismarck, I had about 60% health and 

Gneisenau was melting. When avoiding her torps My Bismarck steered towards her, I went

full reverse  but drifted slowly into Gneisenau which had only a couple of hundred HP left. 

Boom, we both died.

I am pretty sure that did not happen, but I need to check one of my old clips before I can fully stand behind my statement.

I did the most gentle ram of an Izumo with an Torpitz. He got sunk, I lived. But I made him eat many metal fishies and fire so he was very low. Kind of the situation you described except aginst a bigger bote.

So basically I'm saying that something ate your HP up before the collision or you would have lived.

[BLITZ]
Players
2,844 posts
11,757 battles

Oh, that's why battleships camp?

They're afraid of being rammed.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
990 posts
3,403 battles

Wargaming said the ramming mechanic was a preliminary one, and that it would be changed at some point although it is low priority. 

However I think that was like three years ago so they probably forgot about it. 

[BLITZ]
Players
2,844 posts
11,757 battles
3 minutes ago, Sander93 said:

Wargaming said the ramming mechanic was a preliminary one, and that it would be changed at some point although it is low priority. 

Maybe battleship overpopulation is their solution.

Can't ram at 20 km.

• Cool 2

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles
9 minutes ago, Sander93 said:

Well, considering 2016 was the year of the carrier... maybe ramming is still on their list somewhere.

I think 2027 in the year of the ram on the Chinese calendar. 

• Cool 1

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles
8 hours ago, Grandorf said:

Hi

How often are you experiencing 'ramming'?

[BLITZ]
Players
2,844 posts
11,757 battles
10 minutes ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

How often are you experiencing 'ramming'?

Probably fewer than detonations... :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,758 posts
9,828 battles

Nah, ramming is fine. It doesn't impede gameplay in any way and can even be fun, especially if you're the one that'll lose less than the enemy team

Spoiler

Also, stop confusing reality with a game. We say that in every single thread that has "in reality" or "in real life" written somewhere, and yet nobody learns

[ONE2]
Players
3,143 posts
23,524 battles

Hmm... Perhaps ramming mechanism could be tweaked in such a way that a ship ramming another bow-on directly to the side would suffer significantly less ramming damage (perhaps -50%) than the other one? In any case this is how it works in real world too. Also ships ramming each other head-on would suffer equal damage.:cap_hmm:

Just thinking about the HMS Victoria's fate in collision with HMS Camperdown and also the Battle of Lissa, which the Austro-Hungarians managed to win against Italy almost purely by ramming and suffered no ships sunk in exchange though 1 was severely damaged.:cap_old:

Sign in to follow this