You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
majogl

The DD spam has to stop

85 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
132 posts
3,118 battles

d99.jpg

For the duration of the Get Ready for Pan Asia destroyers mission the game has been completely unplayable for me... Out of 50 or so battles, there were maybe 10 or so battles, where there weren't 8 or more DDs per game. This leads me to one of two conclusions.

1. WG believes that having 4 or more DDs per team leads to enjoyable gameplay, especially for anyone NOT using DDs, which leaves me sad and confused.

2. WG had no idea that introducing event, which is heavily rewarding destroyers and lacks rewards for playing AGAINST destroyers, would cause this overpop. Which leaves me dismayed and, quite frankly, irritated.

So which one? I mean this doesn't take oracle-levels of future prediction. Sometimes it just feels like the people making these decisions couldn't predict a foot injury, if they dropped a brick on it...

So kindly PLEASE fix this BS in the future.

Thank you...

[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles

So... just 20% of your matches had 4+ DDs per side? That really doesn't sound too bad. Also, lots of DDs mostly get in each other way AND they mean that there's less overall firepower out there. So other ships can get closer to caps more safely and big guns supporting friendly DDs make a big difference.

In fact the only class that really suffers from lots of DDs is the DDs themselves - torping becomes harder (it's harder to get close and there's a bigger chance of torps being spotted) and even if you're a DD-hunter, you need to be more cautious (places where normally you could force a 1v1 against not-that-good-in-gunfights DDs are going to be swarming with other enemy DDs and torps).

The non-DD ships only really suffer if friendly DDs get wiped out without killina almost all enemy DDs in the process... but that situation usually arises not just due to stupid DDs (if you have 4+, some of them usually have brains) but through lack of proper support from these bigger ships in the first place... So: support your DDs, don't let them die for nothing and you might find that lots and lots of DDs look on loading screen much scarier than in the actual fight.

• Cool 7

[BLITZ]
Players
2,853 posts
12,250 battles

Two weeks "DD spam" versus 50 weeks "BB spam".

But yeah, class based missions without any counter missions are bad.

• Cool 16

Alpha Tester
132 posts
3,118 battles
19 minutes ago, eliastion said:

So... just 20% of your matches had 4+ DDs per side?

Obviously i meant the opposite... it's corrected in the OP... I wish it was like that.

19 minutes ago, SeeteufeI said:

Two weeks "DD spam" versus 50 weeks "BB spam".

But yeah, class based missions without any counter missions are bad.

Much better having BB spam than DD spam if you ask me...

[CATS]
Players
30,887 posts
15,682 battles
40 minutes ago, majogl said:

d99.jpg

For the duration of the Get Ready for Pan Asia destroyers mission the game has been completely unplayable for me... Out of 50 or so battles, there were maybe 10 or so battles, where there weren't 8 or more DDs per game. This leads me to one of two conclusions.

1. WG believes that having 4 or more DDs per team leads to enjoyable gameplay, especially for anyone NOT using DDs, which leaves me sad and confused.

2. WG had no idea that introducing event, which is heavily rewarding destroyers and lacks rewards for playing AGAINST destroyers, would cause this overpop. Which leaves me dismayed and, quite frankly, irritated.

So which one? I mean this doesn't take oracle-levels of future prediction. Sometimes it just feels like the people making these decisions couldn't predict a foot injury, if they dropped a brick on it...

So kindly PLEASE fix this BS in the future.

Thank you...

1. It is the other way around, you are doing it wrong.

2. They do. They hoped it would reduce BB numbers, but it does not. Proof how "dangerous" DD are to BB.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
3,612 posts
16,470 battles
26 minutes ago, The_Tyke said:

You pain will pass very soon. Event ends on the 30th I think

And then we will have 4 weeks of PA DD spam. :Smile_bajan2:

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
132 posts
3,118 battles
6 minutes ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

And then we will have 4 weeks of PA DD spam. :Smile_bajan2:

They had better introduce some anti-DD missions for that or there will be a player dropoff before christmas... Which again im assuming they dont want...

Beta Tester
4,723 posts
11,324 battles
1 minute ago, majogl said:

They had better introduce some anti-DD missions for that or there will be a player dropoff before christmas... Which again im assuming they dont want...

Nah, I doubt there's that many whiny BBabies .. or are there?

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,131 battles
17 minutes ago, majogl said:

good thing that WG doesn't ask you specifically, then...

• Cool 12

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts

4 or 5 DD a side isn't a big problem, unless you love sailing in straight lines for long periods of course.

They can be countered by your own DD's and cruisers, hell even BB's can kill them easily and let's face it DD's aren't hard to kill once spotted as their only defence is stealth.

Torpedoes have a long reload time, can be dodged far easier than big gun salvos and are most damaging to DD's that have essentially no torpedo damage mitigation.

Players
8,241 posts
11,807 battles

Go and play anti DD ships, CVs, radar cruisers, hell even other DDs or just learn to aim with your BB better...

1 class spam will usually mean games are unbalanced, so ride the meta and farm accordingly. I will bet a lot those DD hordes cannot play the class properly so and harvest some XP.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
132 posts
3,118 battles
9 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Go and play anti DD ships, CVs, radar cruisers, hell even other DDs or just learn to aim with your BB better...

1 class spam will usually mean games are unbalanced, so ride the meta and farm accordingly. I will bet a lot those DD hordes cannot play the class properly so and harvest some XP.

Thats difficult to do, when the damagepool of the game is drastically reduced as a result of this spam...

Players
8,241 posts
11,807 battles
11 minutes ago, majogl said:

Thats difficult to do, when the damagepool of the game is drastically reduced as a result of this spam...

Erm?

A DD gives the same XP as a BB on % of ship damaged...

As in killing a 15k hp DD is as good as a 70k BB in terms of your earnings.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
13 minutes ago, majogl said:

Errm... you do know that XP does not depend on max HP of ships you kill? Dealing 20k damage and killing a DD from full hp and dealing 100k damage and killing a BB from full hp are rewarded the same.

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles

For me the problem with lots of DD per battle is that they are too fragile. That most of the time means that in battles with lots of DDs quite a few just rush caps but don't know how to retreat from a bad position. Which leads to a position that I'm sure no one here had ever: the DDs of a team get roflstomped. Aaaaand that's it. Yeah, there's still a chance you can still win that battle, but if a third of your team dies in the first five minutes that's a huge pressure for the rest of the team because you got the DDs that don't know not to YOLO and die miserably.

IMO DDs should be capped not because a match with DDs it's bad itself but because of that. Too much of ships as fragile as DDs makes for very unstable matches since you can't count on the skill of players.

• Cool 2

Players
1,328 posts
20,941 battles
16 minutes ago, majogl said:

Well, Negativvv and eliastion answered this before me. A very important element in XP earning is the relative damage you deal, so hitting a big blow on a DD provides more experience than the same hit on a BB (12k HP for the former perfectly means -depending on tier and ship, obviously- 80-90% of its health pool, while being only 15-20% for the latter). We humans aren't that good when thinking in relative magnitudes, so it's quite natural your reasoning, and I'm not complaining: it means that you won't bother shooting at me when I'm in an IJN DD because "it's not worth the effort put in hitting that petty thing".

Salute.

P.S.: I completed the Pan-Asian mission yesterday, so I'll probably diversify again the ships I play instead of getting frustrated by achieving all but one of the conditions for the last task in many battles.

Alpha Tester
132 posts
3,118 battles
3 minutes ago, eliastion said:

Errm... you do know that XP does not depend on max HP of ships you kill? Dealing 20k damage and killing a DD from full hp and dealing 100k damage and killing a BB from full hp are rewarded the same.

Huh, i did not know that... 

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles
1 hour ago, majogl said:

Oh, I agree. Much better when I'm in my DD and I have less competition and more targets, as well as more BBs that can sink those pesky cruisers that stand a chance against me.

I have been the single DD in a match once or twice. Those matches ended up with me sailing all over the map going "Whee!" and just owning everyone without them having a chance in hell of doing anything against me unless I allow it. More of that, plz.

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,516 posts
27,749 battles
2 hours ago, majogl said:

d99.jpg

Agreed. Very annoying in my DD when enemy DD-s catch torps aimed at BB-s and cruisers.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
18 minutes ago, SHDRKN4792 said:

For me the problem with lots of DD per battle is that they are too fragile. That most of the time means that in battles with lots of DDs quite a few just rush caps but don't know how to retreat from a bad position. Which leads to a position that I'm sure no one here had ever: the DDs of a team get roflstomped. Aaaaand that's it. Yeah, there's still a chance you can still win that battle, but if a third of your team dies in the first five minutes that's a huge pressure for the rest of the team because you got the DDs that don't know not to YOLO and die miserably.

IMO DDs should be capped not because a match with DDs it's bad itself but because of that. Too much of ships as fragile as DDs makes for very unstable matches since you can't count on the skill of players.

Well, that isn't really that much of a problem, though - I mean, the same happens in battles with less DDs. 1/3 of the team dying is more obvious, but also happens less often than losing 2 out of 2 DDs you had initially... aaand you end up in a prolonged fight where one side has DDs and the other doesn't. With many DDs there's a good chance that you have at least a couple that know how to DD on your team.

Then again, I don't say it doesn't happen, I've actually seen matches where both sides' DDs play aggressively but one side has a clue (and some support) and the other doesn't - this can result in a slaughter. I've actually had a match in the last week with 5v5 DDs. 5 enemy DDs died at the cost of one or two ours (I don't remember for sure). You can imagine how the rest of the battle went.

Players
8,241 posts
11,807 battles
33 minutes ago, SHDRKN4792 said:

That's no different to whether there's 1 DD per side or 5 if the DDs are bad. Even in this current DD heavy climate a team can often be stripped of all their DDs in minutes as none of them have any survival sense then the BBs retreat to borders, Crusiers blow up etc...

I'd say its similar to the CV issue except it isn't quite as pronounced. As in a team with a good DD will have a massive advantage over a team with a clueless DD, likewise with carriers. The difference is less of an issue in Cruisers and BBs I feel. 

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles
28 minutes ago, AnotherDuck said:

Oh, I agree. Much better when I'm in my DD and I have less competition and more targets, as well as more BBs that can sink those pesky cruisers that stand a chance against me.

I have been the single DD in a match once or twice. Those matches ended up with me sailing all over the map going "Whee!" and just owning everyone without them having a chance in hell of doing anything against me unless I allow it. More of that, plz.

:Smile_great: