Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TheNamelessLegend

Remove the cyclone "feature"

40 comments in this topic

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles

1. WG wont remove it because someone says it on this Forum. Id say ANYTHING we write here falls on deaf ears, which basicly makes it futile to request in the first place

2. No, i like them

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts
20 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Add that to your great "rework list" next to nerfs for DD HE and Cruiser rudder shift :cap_like:

Indeed, one assumes his play style is to hug map borders and try to snipe at max range so anything that limits his ability to do that and still fail to do damage needs to be removed in his eyes.

I'm not a huge fan of cyclones, but I don't object to them and they add some flavour to the game.

• Cool 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,170 posts
15,081 battles

As mainly a DD player I don't like them as everyone has reduced spotting range.

The 8km is further away than most DDs are spotted but we also have less warning of where the enemy is in order to set up a torpedo run.

When playing BBs especially those with good secondaries it's a laugh.

Players
723 posts
5,774 battles

We should have more different weather conditions, not less.

• Imagine a storm that makes everything darker, reduces vision, adds rain and waves makes torpedoes go almost anywhere and massively increases vertical dispersion.
  • Imagine icebergs that move around on the map. Not fast, but fast enough so you can't make major plans around them, like you can plan attacks around island groups. 1 vs. 1 ambushes would still work, but fleet co-ordination would be impossible.
  • Imagine just the night, where vision is also limited, but gun flashes are visible to normal range and ships can fire illumination flares.
  • Cool 4

[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
14 hours ago, BrusilovX said:

The 8km is further away than most DDs are spotted but we also have less warning of where the enemy is in order to set up a torpedo run.

Cyclones should work on basis of improving concealment in addition (if not instead of) reducing spotting/drawing ranges. As it is now, cyclones are extremely favorable for brawler BBs and screw over non-Radar cruisers big time. I mean, if yo stray within 8km of enemy BB, ou spot each other at the same moment. Within 8km range. That's still too far to yolo-rush a BB (that knows what he's doing) with torps... but the BB (again, that can aimfor your citadel) can just delete a cruiser at such ranges in no time.

Radars, on the other hand, are straight-up overpowered in Cyclones - you spot a Radar-capable ship in a DD and he knows there's a DD within 8km. Radar goes off and there's no real escape, since if you try to run, you are still within Radar range while losing sight of the guy with Radar... 

Cyclones could stay as they are with two modifications:

- Radar range should be capped to 8km (as it was, in fact, at some point)

- Concealment (especially of anything smaller than a BB) should be significantly (idk, 33%?) improved in the height of the cyclone, so that stealthy cruisers don't end up with the same cocnealment as FDG

Then they would be a very nice feature indeed. As they are, however, they are... lazy, really. They should change the gameplay, not throw any semblance of balance out the window.

Although, admittedly, the biggest problem with cyclones isn't their mechanics but people playing like EDIT and not taking them into account. I've seen so many won games thrown because a cyclone came and some people just kept pushing, disregarding the fact that a ship 5km behind them that was their support a minute ago now can't support EDIT since the retreating enemies are beyond their drawing range!

And since the losing team is often more coherent in their retreat than the pursuers in their push... it's pretty normal to see a match thrown by people throwing their ships away, one by one, attacking a bunch of enemy ship in a situation where nobody can support them - so that even the most braindead opponents focus fire (since they have nothing else to shoot at) and delete the hero pusher... and then the next one... and another... and before you know it, the comfortable victory becomes an assured defeat, because a bunch of EDIT couldn't adjust to the cyclone in the slightest.

Edited by Kampa1987
Inappropriate language
  • Cool 3

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
14 hours ago, eliastion said:

Cyclones should work on basis of improving concealment in addition (if not instead of) reducing spotting/drawing ranges. As it is now, cyclones are extremely favorable for brawler BBs and screw over non-Radar cruisers big time. I mean, if yo stray within 8km of enemy BB, ou spot each other at the same moment. Within 8km range. That's still too far to yolo-rush a BB (that knows what he's doing) with torps... but the BB (again, that can aimfor your citadel) can just delete a cruiser at such ranges in no time.

I dont really have a problem with Cyclones in Cruisers. Lets face it, BBs are Potatoes very often, u pop into their vision at 8km they dont run and hide. Rush em down when u have torps. Even RU Cruisers can do that with their abysmal 4km torp range. The most Problem are BBs who actually shoot at places where they overmatch your armor when u are angled, as CItadels can be avoided good enough. But getting half a dozen pens is as bad as getting citadelled.

delete the hero pusher... and then the next one... and another... and before you know it, the comfortable victory becomes an assured defeat, because a bunch of EDIT couldn't ...

... play smart and realize the match is won already. Unfurtunately, they dont need a Cyclone for that. ONe of my most frustrating losses was with Hindenburg, where we had 960 (or close to that) points with 2 Caps and 9 ships vs (I think) 7... My teammates kept rushing 1by1 into the campers at C, i was yelling and screaming all the time to just stop. After ofc we were down to like 4 ships, the enemies started to get out of their camphole and rushed us the rest down, which was me and our CV in the end. And even he EDIT up and left his cover :cap_haloween:

Edited by Kampa1987
Inappropriate language

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Add that to your great "rework list" next to nerfs for DD HE and Cruiser rudder shift :cap_like:

Shush. Don't you dare tell him what to do because you are playing longer than him. :Smile-_tongue:

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,577 posts
27,818 battles

Damn dude, you really need to enable training room, then you have game you can enjoy. Cap everything, kill everything and not getting a scratch ...

Players
577 posts
12,178 battles
3 hours ago, TheNamelessLegend said:

Remove the cyclone "feature"

Short and clear. I support that as there are few things I hate more than cyclones.

Transforms the static sniperfest instantly into an unbearable utter shite campfest.

Players
3,479 posts
17,237 battles

There is one way that Wargaming could be persuaded to offer a bespoke gaming experience (which would include not having to play in games where cyclones are scheduled).

They could make it an option - but one that you have to play real money for.

For example, they could sell 100 flags for, say, 30 Euros. They work in the same way as the flags that prevent detonation. Mount the "No-cyclone" flag and matchmaker will not put you into a battle in which a cyclone is scheduled.

Another one could be for Epicenter mode (a particular non-favourite of mine :Smile_Default:    )

Note, that I am NOT saying that Wargaming SHOULD do this. I'm just pointing out a way that they might implement a method of doing so, based on WG's love of money.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
14 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

I'm just pointing out a way that they might implement a method of doing so, based on WG's love of money.

Stop giving them ideas HTTP2kxNTUucGhvdG9idWNrZXQuY29tL2FsYnVtc

:cap_haloween:

Srsly tho, that would be the WORST possible way to implement something like that. Id rather that they gave us the opportunity to pick maps/modes ourselves...

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,838 battles
5 hours ago, SmartassNoob said:

• Imagine a storm that makes everything darker, reduces vision, adds rain and waves makes torpedoes go almost anywhere and massively increases vertical dispersion.
  • Imagine icebergs that move around on the map. Not fast, but fast enough so you can't make major plans around them, like you can plan attacks around island groups. 1 vs. 1 ambushes would still work, but fleet co-ordination would be impossible.
  • Imagine just the night, where vision is also limited, but gun flashes are visible to normal range and ships can fire illumination flares.

WOW

Hire this guy!

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,476 posts
4,000 battles
12 hours ago, SmartassNoob said:

...imagine all sorts of environmental variables, with the one common denominator of throwing team work out the window?

To be fair, these kinds of variables could probably be exploited to great effect by a good and well-coordinated team. For most teams in random battles, though, I suspect that the main effect would be to scuttle any sort of ongoing coordination attempt, in much the same way that usually happens when Player Cyclone enters the battle. This is well illustrated by eliastion in post no 11 above.

In short, I would say that while I am somewhat sceptical to adding more random environmental elements in random battles, your ideas could probably be introduced to create some truly spectacular PvE scenarios. As a matter of fact, Wargaming is doing this to some extent already, such as with the miasma cloud in the last Halloween episode. So have a like for your creative effort, Sir! :Smile_great:

Players
3,117 posts
7,559 battles
9 hours ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

For example, they could sell 100 flags for, say, 30 Euros. They work in the same way as the flags that prevent detonation. Mount the "No-cyclone" flag and matchmaker will not put you into a battle in which a cyclone is scheduled.

Another one could be for Epicenter mode (a particular non-favourite of mine :Smile_Default:    )

I want to have a flag to deny the MM to put more then 6 tomatoes in my team! :cap_money:

Players
930 posts
9,329 battles

Well I dont like cyclones for one reason, they actually make BBs even better and mostly screw the game for cruisers. Did you just find a German BB in your cruiser? Oh, you dont have radar?  Well, enjoy the thrashing you rightfully deserve for having HE and more than 5km range..  The BB just pops hydro on and you can go s rew yourself unless hes royally dumb and even then it can heavily damage you. 

Players
7,312 posts
11,668 battles
15 hours ago, Exohoritis said:

Transforms the static sniperfest instantly into an unbearable utter shite campfest.

Huh, funny how different experiances one can have. Most of the time, Cyclone turns my team into a better version of the former, pushing, gathering as a pack, eliminating enemys 1 by 1, taking the caps.... Maybe you have been in the enemys team at those times =D

16 hours ago, SmartassNoob said:

Imagine just the night, where vision is also limited, but gun flashes are visible to normal range and ships can fire illumination flares.

Ive always wanted a night-mode... that would be soooo awesome.

1 hour ago, DJ_Die said:

Well I dont like cyclones for one reason, they actually make BBs even better and mostly screw the game for cruisers. Did you just find a German BB in your cruiser?

To be fair - you know the enemys position usualy when going into a cyclone. You can somewhat predict, where the enemy will move. I remember one instance, where an Iowa made a 180 turn pretty much right away to rush me in Donskoi. Yea, he surprised me, but you need to change your attitude as a cruiser (with torpedos) in Cyclone. Did he damage me? yea he did and good. Did he survive? Nope :)

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,734 posts
22,547 battles
On 27.11.2017 at 7:10 PM, BrusilovX said:

Cyclone isn't that bad, when You're in a Kamikaze or Minekaze with 5.4 km visibility...

And yeah, in a Warspite cyclones are extreme fun.  :Smile_izmena::Smile_playing::Smile_hiding::Smile_izmena::Smile_playing::Smile_medal: