Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
KarmaQU_EU

Games are using neural intelligence to train their A.I. now ... what is WoWs doing?

7 comments in this topic

[FAME]
Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

Semi-Clickbait title ...

Recently, I played a game on the topic of WWII, also made by a Russian developer, which incorporated innovative and futuristic game design concepts I had not expected to happen so soon ... such as a campaign using a custom progression unit pool, and training their a.i. via a neural intelligence analyzing data from replays of player games. Also, its business model is a hybrid between single-player and multi-player, which the custom progression design is part of. There are also game structure concepts it uses which are likely learned from studying other game types such as mobile games. I sometimes wonder if a few of the campaign mission objectives were a veiled attempt at creating highly categorized scenarios to let the a.i. study a specific variety of tasking. At any rate, it is polished and modernized to a contemporary standard, and even though it lacks some specific details and charm from old style rts, overall it is clearly an improvement in playability, this likely from studying the specific faults and strengths of many relevant games from the past and present, too.

Now I am quite excited specifically because some these design concepts I see were exact same ones I had once considered for some future version of WoWs (though never followed through). But quite farther in the future than this ... now to see them already existing before me is ... exciting, to say the least. Even though they are only utilized in an extremely primitive way and not very potent, and the game's popularity is so-so, too. But even though they are not utilized in a landmark way yet, it is a very solid first step already, and given how much sooner its timeline was compared to my original estimates (years), if we were to tweak the whole scale of expectations according to this ... many things may happen yet.

WoWs is already lagging behind its time. It was designed based on the decades old systems of WoT, which itself was a highly straightforward design, almost too straightforward. I had also expressed opinion before, that this straightforward design is extremely suitable for WoT, but much less so for WoWs, from angles including context, experience, and gameplay composition. Though not all designs are better if complex and sophisticated, nor are such better for business, the way I had hoped for WoWs at least, was to go the evolving path, because the general conclusion was that as of now, it's far from perfect, but as of potential, it has overwhelming. So start hastening its evolution before it is too late.

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles

I think the problem with introducing A.I.s with some kind of neural intelligence is that they will vastly outpace the average human WoWs player, rather than as it is now, bots being just above average.

Players
112 posts

AI neural networks may be cool for certain things, but they don't scale all that well for complex problems.

If you have a few years, some brilliant computer scientists and a lot of computing power you may create a ANN for WOWS. Or not - there is no way of knowing whether it will actually work or not. Who in his right mind is going to pay for that?

Or even simpler: if it where easy, everybody would be doing it. 

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,986 posts
4,085 battles

On the topic of AI:

Apparently Lesta forgot to tell their bots that DW torps can't hit DDs.... :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[PUPSI]
Privateer
8,458 posts
6 minutes ago, Verdius said:

Apparently Lesta forgot to tell their bots that DW torps can't hit DDs.... :cap_haloween:

most human players don't know this, so WG didn't want to give the bots an advantage :Smile_child:

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,662 posts
16,767 battles

Dude, we already have players complaining about current bots "cheating" and being too good.

Sign in to follow this