Sign in to follow this  
Titan_net

Is Minotaur fun?

34 comments in this topic

Players
107 posts

I used to avoid ships with crazy gun arcs but the British cruiser line has been enjoyable so far. Neptune imo isn't. It's not that the ship is bad (it is imo but that's beside the point). I guess it's mostly that it is impossible to play it aggressively and as far as the typical high tier random battle goes even the most passive gameplay I am capable of usually leaves me close to the enemy with little support and dead shortly thereafter. 

Is Minotaur any better? Is it fun playing aggressive Minotaur in random battles?

From what I gather it may be closer to the Atlanta in that is can sneak close to the enemy, wreak some havoc and have some chance to sneak away again. But that may very well be wrong or not possible at Tier X.

[B0TS]
Players
121 posts
12,034 battles

It's all about LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. But it is fun until you get blown out the water. :Smile_sceptic:

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,102 posts
11,613 battles

I play her with radar. You basically play like a T10 Atlanta. There are games where you'll kill every DD and come top of a team but the map rotation will mess your $hit up as lots of them have limited island cover so you'll be nearly useless... So it's an all or nothing ship with radar, either you'll do amazing or do nothing.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,381 posts
13,776 battles

Playing Mino aggressively? Meh, not that good of an idea most of the time imo. Tbh if you don't enjoy Neptune you quite possibly won't enjoy Mino either as their playstyles are pretty much exactly the same.

Then again if you haven't tried using the radar build yet you should see if it is more to your taste. Personally I didn't like it, but others seem to enjoy it.

[OPPAI]
[OPPAI]
Players
81 posts
7,962 battles

The answer is : Yes

If you wonder "why?" here's an explanation:

It's basically the biggest DD in Game ( I know it has a cruiser Icon).

Yet it's a High Risk = High reward ship. 

Sometimes pushing into the cap goes well and you can farm DMG like a madman from that position and well sometimes you get Blown up by the next Battleship around.

It's still possible to play it aggressively you just have to know: How?.

Minotaur is still my most played ship and i still enjoy it as much as in the beginning.

With the Smoke changes you need to adapt your playstyle a little bit, but it's not that much of a "nerf". 

Keep Track of all Radar cruisers - Know where the DD's are ( to avoid getting randomly torped in your smoke) - Keep track of the most Dangerous Battleships ( Montana Yamato since those can snipe you out of your smoke quite easy) - look where your next allied DD is ( Make him your best friend, support him in caps help him vs other DD's) - If you can anage to do all of that you'll enjoy the Minotaur alot.

• Cool 1

[YEEET]
Players
1,188 posts
11,235 battles

Totally different to the Fiji and Edinburgh - as is the Neptune - it feels very big, though possibly not quite as bad as the Neptune, and I think rewards the good player. I am not a good player, but am enthusiastic. It does not reward enthusiasm! It is however not dissimilar, as stated above, to a big Atlanta, except is has no HE. Playing with radar (I had a go after Negativvv posted about this) is very dangerous, as, much like the Atlanta, shooting your guns brings down the wrath of every enemy in range! The difference is that the Atlanta is tier 7 and is up against lesser ships!

Players
107 posts

Thanks for all the answers.. so far it stands 5:1 in favour of Minotaur. I guess I have to keep trying my best in Neptune then. :Smile_izmena:

:cap_hmm:Or spend some free xp. :etc_red_button::etc_red_button::etc_swear::fish_panic:

Players
1,648 posts
12,084 battles

I actually prefer Neptune over Minotaur due to the turret setup. I simply prefer dense salvoes from 4x3 guns rather than "moar dakka" from 5x2 (and turret B has weird angles - not too bad, but weird), even despite significantly faster reload.

Maybe, since you don't enjoy Neptune, Minotaur may just be your ship then. They both have terrifying torpedo power on top of their gun dpm but are equally fragile.

[OCTO]
[OCTO]
Players
82 posts
6,014 battles

I like the Edinburgh. Had some of the most satisfying "cruiser style" games in it.

Have Neptun recently and it is disappointing so far. Maybe because it is still stock but I can't see how it would improve as the most irritating for me is the shell arcs. I don't even try to shoot at targets 10km+ away because it wont do anything but reveal my possition. the range improvements on the ship are useless I guess. 

I will probably mess around with the ship for a while but if I will not get used to this shell velocity issue on the ship I will not continue the line to Minotaur.

[STAFU]
Players
47 posts
4,617 battles

VI Leander - Lots of fun

VII Fiji - lot of fun

VIII Edinburgh - fun

IX Neptune - not fun at all

As for the Minotaur  WOW

Once you add all the modules and a high-level Captain you can cause complete chaos in the ranks of the other team from behind a smoke stream as the sky just fills with shells (214 per min) and planes just fall out of the sky. The downside is that you have to make such attacks count as you may not live long. The only things the Mino has in common with the Neptune is it's lack of Survivability and its 10km 2x4 torps, everything else is just better and as already noted the ship is basically a DD once spec'ed.

It's the type of ship that if you are on a roll you should be listening to 'Yakety Sax' while you play.

[OCTO]
[OCTO]
Players
82 posts
6,014 battles
2 hours ago, Olr_Relic said:

you should be listening to 'Yakety Sax' while you play

this should be default background music selectable in "options" menu ;-)

Players
1,311 posts
3,571 battles

I found Neptune difficult because of her much larger detection radius over previous ships in the line. Having said that I had some really good games in her.

One of my favourite things about Nep and Mino is that if you equip the anti-aircraft modernisations you can easily wipe out any planes that come close - you don't even need any AA captain skills, just a quick Ctrl+click on the plane squad you want shot down. In fact, their AA defence radius is the same as their detection by air, so the CV can't even keep you spotted without losing planes!

I'm still getting used to Minotaur, so I'm still yet to have a stonker of a game in her, but I do love melting DDs and other CL/CAs that show broadside.:cap_rambo:

Players
16 posts
11,683 battles

Personally i Love this ship, just over 2400 games in it now.  And its FUN !

Yes its frustrating, yes you either die in the first few seconds or you have a great game, this ship is not a slow burner or for the calculating.  Its a firework, sometimes it goes off in your face, sometimes you make pretty explosions around the sky.

But i cant think off many other ships that do this.  Plenty can score abover 200k dmg but normally from a well protected and safe distance from the enemy.  Mini is the only one that can get up close and personal over and over again and win.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/210332809

265k Game i had in it today.  One that i never though we would win.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
530 posts
13,576 battles
On 18/12/2017 at 12:22 AM, Psychodogstick said:

Personally i Love this ship, just over 2400 games in it now.  And its FUN !

Yes its frustrating, yes you either die in the first few seconds or you have a great game, this ship is not a slow burner or for the calculating.  Its a firework, sometimes it goes off in your face, sometimes you make pretty explosions around the sky.

But i cant think off many other ships that do this.  Plenty can score abover 200k dmg but normally from a well protected and safe distance from the enemy.  Mini is the only one that can get up close and personal over and over again and win.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/210332809

265k Game i had in it today.  One that i never though we would win.

Really intense match! What's your setup and captain skills?

Players
16 posts
11,683 battles

Don't mind sharing but cant say many will agree with my  setup.

Think big DD with Long range ability.

The extended Hydro has its uses as well now given smoke Changes.  As well as making this ship an excellent DD hunter.  Its fast nimble and deadly at close range.

image.thumb.png.b1126e06c7f05c7075d9c1b0cfaced42.png

image.thumb.png.84eb16d8cd89ddc4a4c1522bff2da5e8.png

Off course no one says you have to play aggresively... Here's a different way of using the Minni, passive and sensible (well until i got greedy for the Kraken)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/211223893    205k and never fired a gun for the first 10 minutes and i was dead with 5 to go....

[DIKI]
Players
947 posts
295 battles
On 25. 11. 2017. at 2:40 PM, Titan_net said:

I used to avoid ships with crazy gun arcs but the British cruiser line has been enjoyable so far. Neptune imo isn't. It's not that the ship is bad (it is imo but that's beside the point). I guess it's mostly that it is impossible to play it aggressively and as far as the typical high tier random battle goes even the most passive gameplay I am capable of usually leaves me close to the enemy with little support and dead shortly thereafter. 

Is Minotaur any better? Is it fun playing aggressive Minotaur in random battles?

From what I gather it may be closer to the Atlanta in that is can sneak close to the enemy, wreak some havoc and have some chance to sneak away again. But that may very well be wrong or not possible at Tier X.

yes, he has dynamic play stile. he is glass cannon. you can deal excessive amount of dmg and got oneshoted if you are no careful enough. 

[NED]
Players
4,179 posts
11,667 battles

Oh I think Minotaur is one of the most fun ships in this game. My absolute biggest hobby is still one shotting them in their pathetic smoke, especially aiming at them when smoking up and fire at the second they disappear. Also extremely fun to see them hiding behind their rock for 90% of the game time and blapping them once they finally come from behind it because their match is a lost cause already. Or best of all: rushing them in a DD, seeing their tennis balls bounce off like nothing and feed them a fist full of torps. Most fun ship in the game!

[STAFU]
Players
47 posts
4,617 battles
4 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

Oh I think Minotaur is one of the most fun ships in this game. My absolute biggest hobby is still one shotting them in their pathetic smoke, especially aiming at them when smoking up and fire at the second they disappear. Also extremely fun to see them hiding behind their rock for 90% of the game time and blapping them once they finally come from behind it because their match is a lost cause already. Or best of all: rushing them in a DD, seeing their tennis balls bounce off like nothing and feed them a fist full of torps. Most fun ship in the game!

Funny as in the last day I have.

- Dropped smoke and the moved beyond it, just to watch the BB I plan to damage fire at the smoke - the result is that they have 25 seconds to reload, while I rip their superstructure to bits.

- Fire round after round at players who are hiding behind rocks, while I'm spinning around in open water.

- Charge DDs at full speed. A head-on charge may mean that I eat a torp, but killing a DD scores well. 

Minotaurs can be played badly, very well or as the most fun thing in the game. I chose the third option and my stats will never be great, but the battles are never dull and I make a fair profit from the matches.

Your comment about Minotaurs against DDs is fair, even with 10 guns firing away, the resulting damage on a DD can only be described as light. The main role of a Minitaur seems to be to 'light up' the DD so that others can kill it, or if you are quick to drop 4 torps towards it before the dd replies in kind - again all part of the fun.

Players
3,545 posts
7,307 battles
On ‎24‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 3:53 AM, Olr_Relic said:

Funny as in the last day I have.

- Dropped smoke and the moved beyond it, just to watch the BB I plan to damage fire at the smoke - the result is that they have 25 seconds to reload, while I rip their superstructure to bits.

- Fire round after round at players who are hiding behind rocks, while I'm spinning around in open water.

- Charge DDs at full speed. A head-on charge may mean that I eat a torp, but killing a DD scores well. 

Minotaurs can be played badly, very well or as the most fun thing in the game. I chose the third option and my stats will never be great, but the battles are never dull and I make a fair profit from the matches.

Your comment about Minotaurs against DDs is fair, even with 10 guns firing away, the resulting damage on a DD can only be described as light. The main role of a Minitaur seems to be to 'light up' the DD so that others can kill it, or if you are quick to drop 4 torps towards it before the dd replies in kind - again all part of the fun.

Well, any DD caught broadside at short ranges is almost guaranteed to be dead before they angle themselves away due to regular pen damage. 

[STAFU]
Players
47 posts
4,617 battles
3 hours ago, Panocek said:

Well, any DD caught broadside at short ranges is almost guaranteed to be dead before they angle themselves away due to regular pen damage. 

Well, 'short range' at the start of a battle often means the Priority counter hitting 6+, even the Mino can only run so fast :) Later on, in the game one-on-one, dd battles are a lot easier.

Players
3,545 posts
7,307 battles
3 hours ago, Olr_Relic said:

Well, 'short range' at the start of a battle often means the Priority counter hitting 6+, even the Mino can only run so fast :) Later on, in the game one-on-one, dd battles are a lot easier.

Convenient islands around caps are convenient for a reason.

Players
122 posts
6,850 battles

its an awesome ship, go for radar and not for smoke and you'll enjoy it even more. i have only one problem though, the second turret should have firing angles like the mogami. i mean it should be able to fire when it has just enough clearance

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,806 posts
6,761 battles

Once you get the smoke positioning right it is by far the easiest cruisers to play at tier 10. Of course its tons of fun in Random games as well. The smoke gives you so much freedom no other cruiser has at that tier.

Sign in to follow this