Favuz

Kaga as first premium cv?

7 comments in this topic

Players
350 posts
3,426 battles

Hello guys,

I have received a -30% coupon from WG.

With this coupon i can only buy premium time or ships from store.

As i am not interested in premium time, i was thinking to use it to buy a ship which is not currently discounted in tech tree.

So i was thinking to a cv.

Started playing JPN cv, currently at tier 6, my stats are below. i think they are not obscene. I rarely get roflstomped but i still have some problems with strafing and manual dive bombing (especially on DDs).

cv.thumb.jpg.442f0bede807b6d9c91f6411cc7082e6.jpg

I was thinking to Kaga, but low tier planes scare me a bit.

Saipan should be way more noob friendly, but i am not playing us CV and i'll not start for a long time, so with kaga i have a captain trainer.

I don't want to be a liability to my team, so i'm asking to more seasoned cv players.

Is kaga the right choice for a inexperienced cv player?

Players
1,752 posts
9,924 battles

Tbh Kaga is actually the more noob friendly CV whereas Saipan requires you to know how to use manual attacks well in order to fully utilize it. I'll say go for it, but you'll have to learn how to deal with strafes and how to strafe given the other same tier CVs as well as if you intend to progress down the line.

Players
1,542 posts
6,477 battles

Hummm, tough one m8.

Why Yes?

1.  Amount of torp reserves.  You have so many and only once in 150+ games have i ran out of them.  Unless you pilot them into the AA of every enemy Cleveland on the map like lemmings,

2.  Torp drop.  Very forgiving as even auto drop can net you some easy kills due to the spread and players turning in to the back 3 torps, even against average captains.

3.  Bombers.  1) you have them and 2) very tight circle on auto AND they nearly always cause a fire, even with one single plane left.

4.  Tier 5 ships.  No other CV in the game can destroy lower tier ships like the Kaga (Tahio can still face Atlantas and such).  Tier 5 aa is crap for a tier 7 CV and the Kaga maximises this destruction with 2 x 6 torp bombers AND tight bombers.

Why No?

1.  The fighters are made out of Tracy Island papermache and if your a point and click CV captain (at this moment) you will lose every scrap you get into (without friendly aa)

2.  High tier aa.  As your planes are tier 6, going into a tier 8 and god forbid tier 9 games can feel like hell on earth depending on what the enemy brings. 2 Iowa, 2 Atlanta, 1 NO, 1 Chappy, 2 Kidds and a Saipan (game i had yesterday) is not a easy game to play and you will feel like rage quitting, more than any other CV.

3.  The Sapian.  The Sapain is your worst nightmare as you are completely opposite and you have to rely on alot of things to win.  Its doable but of all the CV's, these two are polls apart.  He will also do alot better in tier 9 games with tier 9 fighters.

I would say the Saipan but you don't wanna go down that path so fair enough.  Only because they have fast, hard and durable planes with a good setup (2-0-2).  Not to mention the broken strafe they have which makes a mockery of CV game play.  

Get your strafe sorted out first.  The Kaga NEEDS it and the Saipan can only be played at max strengh WITH IT.

But the Kaga is a great buy if you have money off and want a CV for the future. You just need to understand its weakness and you'll be fine.

There is a reason its top of the tier 7 CV food chain.  Plus the MM is MUCH kinder than tier 8 i can tell you that.

• Cool 1

Players
1,542 posts
6,477 battles

Problem with Manuel bombs? Try the Enterprise :Smile_teethhappy: 

You will get used to Manuel drops over time lad.  I do the "Keep on clicking ahead" syndrome when bombing DDs :Smile_hiding: Does anyone else do this or just guess and click? I don't know if its a "thing" or i'm special...Probably the latter :cap_haloween: 

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,072 posts
9,812 battles

Saipan with out a 10 point comander isnt recomendable.

Kaga is decent because even with Hiryu you only get the same Tir on the TBs If your havent finished any lines you will strugle agist Saipans thogh. Hiryus and rangers are more manegable but be caefull with your fighters becasue most of teh time the enemy dictates were and when he engages due to higher speed

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,115 posts
11,654 battles

Personally I say no.

Kaga is a frustrating ship for me and I barely play her.

It's the simple fact her T6 fighters are garbage and will come short vs any enemy CV who knows how to handle their own fighters. 

That for me is enough to make Kaga a bad ship as you can't defend yourself at all. Especially vs a Saipan in a T5 MM as you don't even have allied AA to fall back to.

Players
350 posts
3,426 battles

Too late :Smile_trollface:

Yesterday i was alone at home without girlfriend who could stop me and i bought her with 30% discount.

However, i will only play her in coop for a while, as i have to reach 11 point to my captain (currently at 9) and i have to master double fighters configuration (I use Ryujo only with one).

Plus, yesterday i had one of the worst match in my ryujo ever. The enemy Indipendence was a monster (with AS), strafed me to hell, for the first time i think i did 0 damage to ships. It's a bit embarassing :D. (wonder how i could have been 10th out of 12 guys in post battle chart).

He shot down 60 planes (double cv match) but we managed to win, so bad cv vs unicum cv it's not always a one side match :Smile_trollface:

Sign in to follow this