Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_Tyke

Being Gallant

20 comments in this topic

[DREAD]
Players
453 posts
7,651 battles

I throw myself at the feet of the forums more knowledgeable persons for some aid.

I have decided (unwisely perhaps) to focus on the Gallant. It seems to be ok . . . just ok.

I also have Anshan and Hatsuharu in my port. Both these boats seem to do everything better than Gallant. 

Surely, especially as it is a prem boat, the Gallant MUST have SOME redeeming qualities. 

Can anyone tell me what they are?

Players
13 posts

Here you go: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gallant

Pros:

• Best turning radius of Tier VI destroyers (540 meters).
  • Second best detection range, only being worse than Hatsuharu.
  • Torpedoes are hard hitting, while being relatively fast and having good concealment.
  • Can single fire said torpedoes, just like British cruisers.
  • High fire chance with HE shells.

Cons:

• Torpedoes reload slowly, at 96 seconds.
  • HE shells lose much of their velocity at range.
  • Low amount of health — only 12,000 hit points — puts her near the bottom of Tier VI destroyers.
  • Poor torpedo firing arcs.
  • Short main battery range.
  • Anti-aircraft armament does a pathetic 4.2 damage per second, at a paltry 1.2 km range.

...and I guess, out of these three Ships, the Gallant has the best Turret Rotation Speed.

• Cool 1

Players
944 posts
5,328 battles

Use it as a torpedo boat, it should be quite strong in that from what I hear.

Obligatory watch Flamu vid here (it's a WIP vid not sure if anything changed after but i think not)

[DREAD]
Players
453 posts
7,651 battles

Many thanks @Commodus_Voke and @walter3kurtz

I had seen that vid, and the stats you mentioned.

I think my poorly worded question should have been ; 'why would I want to play Gallant over the other boats mentioned?'

Players
944 posts
5,328 battles
2 minutes ago, The_Tyke said:

I think my poorly worded question should have been ; 'why would I want to play Gallant over the other boats mentioned?'

well it puts more torpedoes in the water than both the others, so there's that. I consider Fubuki a much better torpedo boat than Hatsu or Anshan though.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,346 posts
14,963 battles
14 minutes ago, The_Tyke said:

She fly's the White Ensign.

Nothing stands out about her. But she is a  good all rounder. I like her

and did I say She fly's the White Ensign

• Cool 3

[DREAD]
Players
453 posts
7,651 battles
Just now, T0byJug said:

and did I say She fly's the White Ensign

The reason I chose her.

Many happy hours on the cruisers, but I have decided to go DD. And until they release a RN line I have either Gallant or Campbeltown to play with.

I was having fun with the BB line until it became apparent from general consensus that the only reason my WR was going up was because even a retarded goat can do well with them.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,346 posts
14,963 battles
3 minutes ago, The_Tyke said:

The reason I chose her.

Many happy hours on the cruisers, but I have decided to go DD. And until they release a RN line I have either Gallant or Campbeltown to play with.

I was having fun with the BB line until it became apparent from general consensus that the only reason my WR was going up was because even a retarded goat can do well with them.

Got a 16 point commander in Gallant..

also you can use the tier 2/3 and 7 Pan Asian DDs add the Trafalger or Iron Duke flag if you got them.. Not a white Ensign. But the ships are British Built. Squint and you may even see the flags i mentioned as being the good old RN one.

[EYLIG]
WoWs Wiki Team, WoWs Wiki Team
1,791 posts
13,459 battles

When it comes to captain builds I guess you can enhance some of her gunboat abilities after you built up a torpedo boat captain (for that I include SE, TAE, AR and of course CE). After all she is a bit more on the hybrid side of the torpedo boats.

Her good fire chance leads to potentially 4.32 fires/min. With either BFT or 50% health and AR this raises to 4.8 fires/min. With DE it rises to 5.28 fires/min or 5.87 fires/min at 50% HP from AR. Thus DE leads to pretty much one additional fire per minute while BFT yields 0.5 per minute. Those two perks potentially could be interesting to add in addition to the pure torpedo build.

Another option could be SI for an additional smoke. But due to those smokes themselves, her playstyle and her concealment I rate that lower than the other two mentioned 3 pointers. Regardless of choice here, the last point of a 19 points captain can be put either in PT or PM, to unlock them both. If none of the 3 pointers are chosen one last option could be RL. Or get two of the remaining 3 pointers and forgo AR.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,979 posts
2,160 battles

The HMS Gallant in three words: A good all-rounder!

She can perform most destroyer duties well, which in itself recommends her in my book. But there is one area where she excels over any other destroyer in the game: Her single shot torpedoes. With the proper aim, and assuming that the target doesn't change course at random, these torpedoes hit with unparalleled force.

• Cool 2

[DREAD]
Players
453 posts
7,651 battles
2 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

But there is one area where she excels over any other destroyer in the game: Her single shot torpedoes. With the proper aim, and assuming that the target doesn't change course at random, these torpedoes hit with unparalleled force.

Agree strongly with this. They are much fun.

Players
2,380 posts
15,503 battles

I'll mirror the others in saying Gallant is the best all rounder at tier 6 (until T-61 arrives)

Your guns start more fires than Anshan, your torps have more striking power than Hatsuharu, the manoeuvrability makes Shinonome feel like floating turd.

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
453 posts
7,651 battles
11 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

I'll mirror the others in saying Gallant is the best all rounder at tier 6 (until T-61 arrives)

Your guns start more fires than Anshan, your torps have more striking power than Hatsuharu, the manoeuvrability makes Shinonome feel like floating turd.

You sold it to me :)

In fact all of you did.

Beta Tester
898 posts
8,742 battles

The Gallant is a good all rounder as others have said, she is also quite fragile. My current win rate in her is 63% over 278 battles in her. Server average is 54.46%. So here is how I play her.

Modules:

Propulsion modification 2

Engine Boost modification 1* special.

Aiming systems modification 1

Main armaments modification 1

Captain Skills (19 points)

Priority Target (I need to know if I have to pop smoke and put distance between who is spotting me)

Last Stand, Adrenaline Rush (Last stand is mandatory for all DDs, Adrenaline rush will improve your rate of fire, and torp reload speed)

Torpedo armaments expertise. Survivability Expert (Faster Torpedo reloads, and more health, its fragile)

Radio location, Concealment Expert. (Need to know where the enemy is, not get spotted).

How I play her

Before game starts

Look at the enemy listing. Make note of ships to avoid, such as radar cruisers, you need to know where they are at all times. Make note of enemy destroyers artillery and concealment. Should you fight or avoid? Learn who you can take on, and who to avoid.(best to avoid all full HP ones)

Early-Mid game

Hunt destroyers for your team, ahead of cruisers,as you'll need back up. Radio location should help you find them, ping the map as to their likely location, once spotted either engage or let your back up take them out, you can provoke them into firing which will enlarge their visibility. If they have cruisers in attendance, then move away whilst trying to keep them spotted. If they are capping, and pop smoke, use your radio location to fire torpedoes on their location. You'll be surprised how many people sit still in smoke, and even if they move in the smoke cloud, radio location will help you aim. As you are leading your group, you can spot torpedoes for them, and lay smoke. If your team are in disarray, then seek out the battleships, and cruisers, whilst avoiding being spotted. Try to kill the top tier battleships as they are the biggest threat to your team.

Firing your single use torpedoes. If a target is not fully distracted, then I fire 4 on the same bearing and two each per side on a wide bearing. If the four miss, then they will probably take two from the other sets.

Late game

Apart from BB hunting, you can sit in smoke and rain down fire starting HE on anything daft enough to be in range.

A note on Radio Location.

This skill should not be underestimated. For making sure that you can kill ships hiding in smoke, and once you get good with it, you can estimate the position/distance travelled of an unseen DD at the beginning of a game, enabling you to fire a two x four torp wide spreads in the direction you estimate them to be heading. When an enemy is behind an island you will know if they are backtracking, and which side to expect them to emerge, allowing a pre-emptive torpedo strike, and even if you miss, they will be too occupied with avoiding the torpedoes, to maintain accurate fire on you.

Well this is how I play it. How do you play it?

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,671 battles

Gallant got me my 3rd Rank 1...

It's pretty awesome, the HE has a high fire chance but it's the torpedoes that make things interesting.

Until you've used them, it's hard to explain how strong single firing torps are. A few torps is enough to scare a lot of players and if you keep letting them off in 1s and 2s then you'll either get some epic flooding or make them simply vacate the area. They've got almost no way of knowing when your tubes are empty unless they try really hard to keep count but even then they have no way of knowing you've launched all torps towards them. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
194 posts
5,643 battles

I struggled with the Gallant at first because I tried playing her like a hybrid and put too much emphasis on the guns. She works best played primarily as a torpedo boat and I'll only use the guns opportunistically where I'm unlikely to take much return fire, e.g. to engage enemy destroyer that is already heavily damaged or a battleship with its guns pointing the wrong way. I just find that the combination of mediocre firepower, short range and low health pool mean its a bad idea to start trading.

As for what she has over other ships, well as people have mentioned its the single shot torpedoes. Its very satisfying to nuke an unsuspecting battleship or an overconfident battleship rushing your smoke. I've also had success "spreading the love around", firing off a few individual torps against multiple targets in the hope that at least one of them won't bother to change course and speed.

She isn't obviously a powerful ship but she is well rounded and  capable of doing some serious work when played with patience and finesse.

• Cool 3

[WONLY]
Players
194 posts

According to WoWs-Numbers i'm ranked 14th on EU in this ship. Played 63 games in it, all of them solo. So basically you could say that i'm good in this ship and that i can influence a game in it.

The sad part is...i don't feel like i'm playing this ship very well or that i could actually carry games except in t5-t6 games. Had some great games where i got 2,5k+ base ep but in general this ship feels mediocre. 

Some aspects of this ship:

- Guns. They can start fires pretty decently. I didn't even specc DE and still the fire chance is pretty good. That's the good part about them.

The arcs are horrible though and the range is poor. Since you will often face t7-t8 dds you just can't defend yourself against a semi-competent opponent and have to play very careful. I remember killing Gallants in my Minekaze in a pure gunfight. Just kite away and see them struggle to land their shells. Eventually they will give up or get killed. 

- Torps. They hit pretty hard, with decent concealment and speed. The Single-launch can be devastating to BBs and if a Cruiser tries to rush your smoke you are much more flexible than other DDs. The downside...the reload takes extremely long and the arcs are just bad. Worst part is the range though. Since you are not a good gunship (except setting fires on BBs from smoke), you want to rely more on your torpedos than the guns. 8km Range is pretty mediocre since you get uptiered to t8 pretty often. Trying to get off a good set of torps in a t8 game often leads to dangerous situations.

- Healthpool. 12k Base. I think only Farragut has less at t6. Makes the ship pretty squishy.

- Handling. The ship handles fantastic. Nothing bad to say here.

- AA. Which AA? You will never shoot down a single plane in this ship which can be pretty annoying. But most of t6 dds have garbage AA so nothing to brag about.

I got the ship from a Loot crate, and i wouldn't buy it and can't recommend it. I'm not a passionate DD captain tho. For me it's not fun. If i want to play a good allrounder i rather play the Akatsuki which has nice guns and torps and much better MM.

For good results you should definitely avoid knife fightings with t6-t8 dds. Use the smokes to start fires on targets as soon as they use DCP since this ship is really good at starting fires. Use the single launch on the torps, they are more than a gimmick. Targets often feel safe after facing some torps and they won't expect the next wave coming. This is also good to force a repair on floodings just to flood them again soon after. 

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,083 posts
6,718 battles

Gallant feels pretty equal to Shinonome to me. Shinonome reload her torps faster and the IJN 127 hit very hard and are good at range, while 2/3 of her guns are in the rear which helps a lot to kite.

Gallant have faster turret, better DPM, is more agile, and launch devastating single torps.

[DREAD]
Players
453 posts
7,651 battles

In the OP I asked what made Gallant better than the other two boats, and it is quite obvious that it is those amazing single launch tubes.

I completely overlooked those when I was simply comparing speed/range/stealth etc stats.

My thanks to you all for your input/advice. Much appreciated. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this