Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jokke8960

What premium destroyer should I choose?

52 comments in this topic

[BYOB]
Players
10 posts
2,703 battles

Hello, I was thinking about buying a premium ship with dubloons since I have collected a fair bit of them.

I was thinking about buying these ships: Anshan, Loyang and Leningrad.

But I am not sure wich one I should go for, so what are you guys favorite premium ships?

[PMI]
Players
240 posts
124 battles

Loyang is the cap contester DD killer par excellance with the sonar.

Anshan its decent for the tier, nothing fancy about it outside a permanent camo with free exp boost.

Leningrad is a very fast ship with very decent torps and guns, loads of fun.

I would ask you, how good are your RU DD caps?

How willing are you to grind a cap for the pan asian line from 0?

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

I am really enjoying the Lo Yang. But experience with the Benson is recommended since it is mostly the same, but 1 less gun.

[BYOB]
Players
10 posts
2,703 battles
5 minutes ago, juanxmar said:

Loyang is the cap contester DD killer par excellance with the sonar.

Anshan its decent for the tier, nothing fancy about it outside a permanent camo with free exp boost.

Leningrad is a very fast ship with very decent torps and guns, loads of fun.

I would ask you, how good are your RU DD caps?

How willing are you to grind a cap for the pan asian line from 0?

My RU captains are pretty bad. Not my most played nation. I think the highest one has around 10-12 points.

I don't really have a problem with having to grind a captain from the start. I kinda enjoy grinding.

[BYOB]
Players
10 posts
2,703 battles
2 minutes ago, stewie533 said:

I am really enjoying the Lo Yang. But experience with the Benson is recommended since it is mostly the same, but 1 less gun.

I have unlocked the Benson pretty recently. Just started playing it so I only have 7 battles in it so far.

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles
1 minute ago, Jokke8960 said:

I have unlocked the Benson pretty recently. Just started playing it so I only have 7 battles in it so far.

Well, how do you like the Benson?

Because it IS a Benson. Same guns, same torps, same maneuverability, same detection, same upgrades. The only difference is that you only  get 4 guns and 5,4km hydro. And the hydro is what makes it great. Gives you so much advantages against other DDs. BUT it required that you know how to play the Benson.

[BYOB]
Players
10 posts
2,703 battles
7 minutes ago, stewie533 said:

Well, how do you like the Benson?

Because it IS a Benson. Same guns, same torps, same maneuverability, same detection, same upgrades. The only difference is that you only  get 4 guns and 5,4km hydro. And the hydro is what makes it great. Gives you so much advantages against other DDs. BUT it required that you know how to play the Benson.

So far I enjoy it. I am not really a great DD captain yet since it's not that long since I started playing DD's. I know how I theoretically should play. It just dosent work like I planned it everytime. :)

2 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Kamikaze...

:cap_haloween:

I wish I could. :(

Beta Tester
193 posts
5,634 battles

Loyang and Leningrad are both excellent and fun destroyers.

Any reason you aren't considering the Kidd? Its a Benson with only a single torp launcher but more health and a heal which gives you a much greater license to use your guns. Its a lot of fun and it would also be useful to train your US destroyer captains.

[BYOB]
Players
10 posts
2,703 battles
2 minutes ago, Unknown_Lifeform said:

Loyang and Leningrad are both excellent and fun destroyers.

Any reason you aren't considering the Kidd? Its a Benson with only a single torp launcher but more health and a heal which gives you a much greater license to use your guns. Its a lot of fun and it would also be useful to train your US destroyer captains.

Kidd looks like a really fun ship, but since I have managed to save up 65K dubloons I want to spend some of them. And I can't buy the Kidd for dubloons yet. :(

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles
Just now, Jokke8960 said:

So far I enjoy it. I am not really a great DD captain yet since it's not that long since I started playing DD's. I know how I theoretically should play. It just dosent work like I planned it everytime. :)

[...]

Well, I can't give you better advice than that. I dislike the ships like the Leningrad, so while I have the ship, I haven't really played her. And I don't own the Anshan.

But I do own the Benson and Lo Yang. While I might be biased with my USN DDs, I do think the Lo Yang is a really strong ship.

1 minute ago, Unknown_Lifeform said:

[...]

Well, the Kidd can't be bought for doubloons at the moment. And the others are on discount.

I also don't think the Kidd would be a great DD for a newer player. Not because she is bad, she deff isn't, but she has some smaller issues that make her slightly different from the others. Her maneuverability is worse than all the USN DDs except the Gearing, she gets less torpedoes. To compensate she does get a heal and incredible AA. But it is more difficult to dodge torps in her. The Lo Yang is more rounded in my opinion. I doubt he's looking for a captain training, because if he is then the Kidd would be the best option in that case.

[PMI]
Players
2,350 posts
5,540 battles
22 minutes ago, Jokke8960 said:

My RU captains are pretty bad. Not my most played nation. I think the highest one has around 10-12 points.

I don't really have a problem with having to grind a captain from the start. I kinda enjoy grinding.

Then go Loyang or, as pointed, Kidd.

I would advise you to get the Harekaze, that is sadly no longer available, my latest fav ship.

Players
329 posts
12,964 battles

@Jokke8960 Anshan is basically a Gremmy slotted into tier 6, it is a murderous machine and fit's that tier really well.

Lo Yang excels at contesting caps, and is very well rounded over-all, but given your experience with these destroyers I do not think it would be a great idea. It is for more experienced players, given the tier and the opposition that it faces (a ton of radar and acoustics equipped ships, tier 10 destroyers, lots of unicums, etc). I do not think you will find it enjoyable.

Leningrad would be my suggestion, it is incredibly easy to learn, all you have to do is never stop moving and do not sit in smokes, they ought to be used only in emergencies to get yourself out of tough positions. But if no enemy destroyers are nearby be my guest, smoke up, and start shooting. It is ridiculously fast. Getting rid of the enemy small boats is never too much of a challenge and once they're gone you can move in closer for torpedo strikes and then move back during the reloads to set them ablaze. I always have incredible fun in that thing. Leningrad promotes a very pro-active game style and it is hilarious.

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
Players
2,102 posts

If you're going to get a Premium DD then you should bear in mind that it's best to get one for a nation you like playing as it will act as a trainer for your captains.

I'm looking forwards to the T61, but I like the KM DD's a lot.

As others have said Leningrad is very good fun, it copes well when up tiered and it has very usable torpedoes, its gun turrets turn like they're in treacle though so a twisting gunfight can be a bit frustrating, worth getting if you intend to play the RU DD line.

[BYOB]
Players
10 posts
2,703 battles
28 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

As others have said Leningrad is very good fun, it copes well when up tiered and it has very usable torpedoes, its gun turrets turn like they're in treacle though so a twisting gunfight can be a bit frustrating, worth getting if you intend to play the RU DD line.

I actually already have the Khabarovsk, not played it much though. But I kinda cheated a bit when they introduced that they would split the soviet DD line, I used free XP so suddently I got a T8 or T9 (can't remember). I have not started playing to get to the Grozovoi yet though

[SCRUB]
Players
2,726 posts
7,370 battles

If I was buying at this time I would go for Lo Yang, simply because I would like a captain trainer for the upcoming PA DD line.

[BOBS]
Community Contributor
152 posts
12,903 battles

Leningrad. Anshan's better version is coming as Pan Asian tier6. And LoYang is just a Benson with hydro.

[H_FAN]
Players
1,943 posts
22,516 battles

Personally I like the Gallant when it is on offer, Anshan is good and in the midtier range which I prefer as a starter. but as others have said buy one in the line you prefer to play. The new German DD is interesting but if they nerf her OPness she is not so interesting anymore as I have all the German DDs with 10+ captains on T7 and up.Leningard is a solid choice but I have not played her yet though I got her in the Soviet bundle from sept.

Sign in to follow this