Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ew_

The apocalypse of Blur and lack of awareness

4 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
349 posts
4,300 battles

Hello my fellow captains, with the recent changes to the mod-policy, an issue that has been present since the dawn of WoWS has risen to become a problem once again. Blur, WoWS has since CBT when i started, had a layer of blur on top of everything in the client. Blur causes a number of issues even for you who might not even have noticed it until now, i will explain further down the post. Until the ban of Reshade as a mod it was universally accepted as the solution to the issue of excessive Blur, to use Lumasharpen or other filters.

Lets establish right away what im talking about for you who are not aware, this affects every level of graphics. Imgur's compression of high-res images adds JPEG artifacts sadly, images does not make lumasharpen screenshots Justice, refer to attached images or closer comparisons for cutouts to compare uncompressed screenshots.

My graphics settings
Vanilla
Reshade + Lumasharpen
Closer comparisons to outline differencies

Lowest graphics settings
Vanilla
Reshade + Lumasharpen

My graphics settings with Aslains Fog remover
Vanilla
Reshade + Lumasharpen

If you cannot see any difference between the screenshots then rejoice! Also the last example is to show that the fog is in fact Not the cause of the Blur, the Blur applies to the fog as well, removing the fog gives a placebo that the blur goes away as its less slightly less noticable.

Lets get another thing straight right away. Reshade+Lumasharpen was just a stopgap, a temporary user-applied fix until WG solves the core issue which hasnt even been brought up seriously yet, i wonder if they even are aware?. The reason to ban reshade is legitimate, Battlefield 3, PUBG an so on did get cheats injected through reshade even. and it shouldnt be unbanned, but WG must solve this issue of Blur now.

This ever present Blur cannot be removed by any methods aside from Reshade, no graphics settings, no graphics control panel, no DSR or VSR, no monitor OSD settings. I have gone to lenghts trying to reduce the blur without injecting post-process filters. And i arrived at the sad conclusion. There is only one way to reduce the Blur on our end, and that is with post-process filters such as Lumasharpen. And only one way to do it sort-of without breaking the rules, HDMI/DP cables with built in post-process filters such as the 120 Euro mCable, but it has serious technical limitations, both to resolution and refreshrate. And is ridiculously expensive for what it is.

The Blur  is an inherent trait that WG has chosen to use, or neglected to remove for their titles using the Bigworld graphics engine. The cause or reason to implement a layer of Blur is only something WG can answer, which they have not due to lack of awareness. Blur usually is used on low-fidelity games to hide ugly graphics, however WoWS is a beautiful game, and the blur does the polar opposite, it hides how beautiful WoWS is, forces people to look at WoWS through a lens smeared in Vaseline.

Some of you find the Blur hideous, others dont mind it. People like me with advanced motion sickness however become physically sick when trying to focus vision on something that is blurry, it causes eyestrain, headache, and nausea. For people like me, using Reshade was a requirement to be able to play WoWS due to the Blur.

But even for you that dont suffer advanced motion sickness, you should feel the eyestrain, getting exhausted quickly when playing WoWS, you often get headache when playing WoWS and so on. Some blame the headache on the toxic community, but even here its the opposite. The strain on the eyes from trying to focus on something out of focus shortens peoples fuses, stress builds up, anger builds up. It affects people in negative ways without them realising it and turns people toxic.

WG's Support claims that they cannot inform WG about the dawn of the apocalypse of Blur. Only the forum can, that is if any WG dev by chance reads it when the stars align and the red moon is out.

Please help, the end is nigh.

FanillaFogremover.png

LowLumasharpen.png

LowVanilla.png

LumasharpenFogremover.png

MaxLumasharpen.png

MaxVanilla.png

[CHAOS]
Players
2,359 posts
10,784 battles
2 hours ago, Ew_ said:

But even for you that dont suffer advanced motion sickness, you should feel the eyestrain, getting exhausted quickly when playing WoWS, you often get headache when playing WoWS and so on. Some blame the headache on the toxic community, but even here its the opposite. The strain on the eyes from trying to focus on something out of focus shortens peoples fuses, stress builds up, anger builds up. It affects people in negative ways without them realising it and turns people toxic.

Well no, i dont get any headaches or some other issues when playing WoWs.

If you really suffer from motion sickness, it may be different for you, but no one else i played with in this game had this issue so far.

Its good that you bring your issues up here, maybe others with motion sickness can confirm.

But you can not speak for the "normal" user out there, sorry bud.

2 hours ago, Ew_ said:

The cause or reason to implement a layer of Blur is only something WG can answer, which they have not due to lack of awareness. Blur usually is used on low-fidelity games to hide ugly graphics, however WoWS is a beautiful game, and the blur does the polar opposite, it hides how beautiful WoWS is, forces people to look at WoWS through a lens smeared in Vaseline.

That on the other hand is something i can confirm. I don't think WoWs needs any kind of Blur.

Wargaming should just add a checkbox to the game options to disable it, problem solved.

Beta Tester
349 posts
4,300 battles

Edited.

Edited by Asklepi0s
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to discussing sanctions

Beta Tester
349 posts
4,300 battles

Slight update, aside from WG breaking their own mod policy and skipping the warning step and immidately giving second strike instead of first. And WG support clearly stating themselves as an independent contractor with no relation whatsoever to WG and no way to even contact WG. Why dont WG just replace them with an automated chatbots that quote FAQ, like carriers(cellphone kind) did back in the day? If you are gonna shaft your consumers you might as well let them know.

Anyways, Nvidia announced driver level post-process filters

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/01/07/geforce-experience-freestyle-ansel-ces-2018/

And more importantly, on the list of supported games on launch day (9th january)

mvvabWf.png

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/freestyle-games/

And approved by WG

There is Sharpness and Clarity under the Details filters Adjustments

Still, the silence from both the community and WG about the blur issue is quite worrying. Sucks to be stuck with an AMD card that will have no equivilent alternative.

Sign in to follow this