You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
dCK_Ad_Hominem

So the Mahan. ...

7 comments in this topic

Players
961 posts
4,865 battles

Hi guys. 

First off yes, I did use the search function, but most threads on this topic are at least six months old. Given the recent changes I thought a new one would be warranted. 

I recently unlocked the Mahan and am having a hard time making her work. Now I'm not just straight out saying she was bad, but her combination of low speed, lack of agility, slow torps, lazy gun arcs and lack of concealment are really difficult for me to get used to. Smoke firing only works if you have another guy spotting your target and attracts torps. Torping from stealth can be done, but is hindered by the torp range and speed, and also by the likely presence of enemy dds that will outspot you (by 1.5km in the worst case). Running is difficult due to its clumsy movement, fighting a gun fight at range disadvantages me. 

I would argue I know how to play the class, in fact i enjoyed the Clemson, Nicholas and Farragut a lot. So..... What am I doing wrong? And how can I be more useful in her? 

[HAERT]
Players
2,102 posts

The Mahan was, to me, a very solid ship, I really enjoyed her.

You need to be aware that she's a deal less nimble than the Farragut and act accordingly, plus as T7 she meets a lot more radar, hydro and accurate incoming fire from T9's.

Personally I played her much more as a torpedo boat (remember she has an 8 torp salvo then you can turn and use the 4 on the other side) and I only used her guns if I had to or could knife fight a DD one on one or could safely smoke up and spam, which is far less likely at T7. Gunboating at T7 and above is a risky business as you advertise your presence to the fast firing and accurate T8 and 9 cruisers and deadly accurate BB's whose AP while overpenning will wreck you.

You really have to have the Hull B and Torpedo upgrade modules to make her work well.

Sitting in smoke (especially in a cap) like you can get away with at lower tiers is pretty suicidal as people by T7 will routinely torpedo a smoke to flush you out if they don't kill you so you need to change tactics. Not forgetting many opponents will have the concealment module.

How many points does your Mahan captain have? If you've not got Concealment Expert your life will be a lot nastier.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,296 posts
7,544 battles
34 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Hi guys. 

First off yes, I did use the search function, but most threads on this topic are at least six months old. Given the recent changes I thought a new one would be warranted. 

I recently unlocked the Mahan and am having a hard time making her work. Now I'm not just straight out saying she was bad, but her combination of low speed, lack of agility, slow torps, lazy gun arcs and lack of concealment are really difficult for me to get used to. Smoke firing only works if you have another guy spotting your target and attracts torps. Torping from stealth can be done, but is hindered by the torp range and speed, and also by the likely presence of enemy dds that will outspot you (by 1.5km in the worst case). Running is difficult due to its clumsy movement, fighting a gun fight at range disadvantages me. 

I would argue I know how to play the class, in fact i enjoyed the Clemson, Nicholas and Farragut a lot. So..... What am I doing wrong? And how can I be more useful in her? 

Sadly Tier VII is a very bad spot for DDs. Even though they should profit from the favourable MM like every other Tier VII the problem is the Tier VIII DDs are just that much better because they get access to the stealth module on Top of their additional HP and Armament. For Tier VII (when toptier) Mahan is actualy one of the better DDs at Tier VII.

The Mahan is like every other USN DD the Jack of all trades. Giving smoke, knifefight for caps, spot with somewhat ok concealment. The US DDs fight best when they can jump on enemy DDs at close range (except KM DDs with Hydro ofc.), so lurking behind islands near caps is a standart tactic.

As for those (IJN) DDs that outspot you by a considerable margin: Those ships are generaly even slower and will lose any straight up gunfight with you so the Skill RPF is advised to be able to push them effectively and get rid of them. (only works if not much cover for him ofc.) If he has enough cover from cruisers either retreat or bring your own teammates.

If all fails get Benson ASAP and the world will look different when you fully fitted it with upgrades.

Players
2,376 posts
15,503 battles
29 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

I played her much more as a torpedo boat

Yep, Mahan spits out more torps per minute than most other destroyers. Get used to the 9.2km range and 55 knot speed, it doesn't change at tier 8.

Start of game = Support team with smoke, spotting and torp spam areas. Surviving is your goal.

Mid/end game = DPM monster to hunt down remaining ships or go out in a glorious last stand.

One of the most fun/unique ships in the game. :Smile_honoring:

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

Your main problem with the Mahan is probably the tier you are playing. There you get more and more ships with special consumables specially designed to counter you. The Mahan, as you said, is in no way a bad ship. But it isn't easy either. Be mindful of RADAR and learn to torp correctly. Don't get overly focussed on using your (15?) torps. Try to get your concealment down as far as possible. With CE you can get it to 6,6km. 

The thing with USN DDs is that you can't play a high tier USN DD as you would with the Clemson, but you can play the Clemson as a high tier DD. What I mean with this is that not all actions you do on low tier are viable on high tier. While basically all the tactics you use on high tier can be used on low tier.

As for the tier itself, as long as you are thrown into a tier 5-7 match, you are ok. The problem comes when you aren't top tier. The other USN DDs you might encounter (Benson, Fletcher) can have a 5,8km concealment. This means they can spot you 0,8km before you can spot them back. By then torps might already be in the water. Or they keep moving about.

The best advice I can give you is to keep playing. Keep improving. And most importantly, keep having fun. The high tier DDs really are worth it. It keeps getting better until you reach the Fletcher.

Players
3,338 posts
5,792 battles

Pushing aggressiv for a Cap and / or beeing too far away from support in the start is a bad idea with Mahan. Take it slow, spot for the team, might even use your smoke for the team. I used to always give my smoke for the team, but with the recent smoke change, this is gotten hard, it can actually hurt your team. Ppl still think, they are invincible and will stop broadside in the smoke. You want to make sure, your team stays alive, so sportting enemy torps is a vital job. Once the enemys start getting lower in numbers, you can be more aggressiv. Then, the Mahan is a good gunboat. If its the other way around, and the enemys are pushing, stay calm, kite away, throw as many torps at them as you can. If the enemy is chasing you, the slow torps turn into deadly weapons.

2 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

You really have to have the Hull B and Torpedo upgrade modules to make her work well.

This.

2 hours ago, stewie533 said:

Your main problem with the Mahan is probably the tier you are playing. There you get more and more ships with special consumables specially designed to counter you. The Mahan, as you said, is in no way a bad ship. But it isn't easy either. Be mindful of RADAR and learn to torp correctly.

And This,