Sign in to follow this  
Strefs

The T-61 is everything I hate about destroyers and I love her [PREVIEW]

21 comments in this topic

Community Contributor, Beta Tester
308 posts
5,409 battles

The complicated Relationship of a Destroyer and her Captain

Bad AA, okayish concealment, heavy focus on torps. The smoke is sub-par, like all the Germans. It doesn’t get 150mm like the Gaede. Hit points aren’t something to write home about.
But heck, I love this thing. And I’ll tell you why.

Let’s first of all give this ship a run down.

She’s got a solid amount of hitpoints. 14700, which is a lot worse than the 16500 you find on the Gaede.

She shares the same type of guns you can find on the Maass, 4 of them. These are outright better than the ones on the Gaede. They reload faster, and the penetration feels a lot more consistent.
In addition to these good guns, she has 2x4 torpedo launchers, which mop the floor with the Gaede’s. The reload is 22 seconds faster, clocking in at 68 seconds base. That’s better than Shinonome. And Shinonome has triples. T-61’s tubes are quads.
While we’re at the Shinonome, did I mention that the torpedo concealment is 1.3km, which is 300m better than the Japanese ship? Then again that’s just Gaede torps.
Her AA is basically Gaede, with nothing particularly great going on in that department.

The Manoeuvrability is again, better than the Gaede. Shorter rudder shift and better turn circle by 90 metres.
Lastly, concealment is again, a lot better. She’s got 400m over the Gaede, just like the Shinonome. Not the best in her tier but very workable.
So In short, Maass guns, good concealment and torpedoes, bad AA and low hit points.
Take away the guns and you’ve got a Japanese destroyer. Except these torps actually work, because they’re fast and stealthy.

It’s no secret that torpedo heavy gameplay has had it’s peak and has since then declined rapidly. Ships that only focus on torpedoes tend to be very on-off performers. It requires your enemies to make mistakes, or you to be very risky. In addition to that, it seems that with every new update, this gameplay becomes and less supported. We’ve got spotter/fighter planes that spot torpedoes once, which makes them visible eternally. Now we even have deep water torpedoes that can’t even hit destroyers any more (more on that in my Pan Asia analysis). And everyone and their mother are running hydro (hello you German buggers). I mean even this ship runs hydro! It doesn’t matter what concealment your torpedo has if it gets spotted for 4km away due to perma-hydro ships.
When an entire ship line goes from destroying multiple battleships per game to barely scraping by within a couple of patches, you know it’s time to change tactics. So why on earth would they bring out a ship like this? And why does it work so well?

I am guessing you can find an answer to the first question yourself, as for the second:

• The bracket this ship moves in sees a lot less consumable madness than let’s say a tier 7 or 8 premium.
  • The amount of carrier players has been dwindling for quite some time now, so your bad AA is not such a game breaker.
  • The tier position is still very mid tier. This means you’ll be running into a lot of newbies, which makes hitting torpedoes easier.

So at this tier, the prospect of a torpedo boat is not that bad, it’s part of the reason why the Shinonome works, she’s got good HE alpha too, though. The guns, like I said, are good, but you’ll be relying on your torpedoes for bulk damage still.

As for the gameplay, and why I love this ship.
It just performs.
That’s all there is to it. It’s not a HuangHe without smoke, that really tries to kill you at every corner you take. It’s not an Ashitaka, which is basically an A-hull Amagi (I apologize if I trivialize things but it kind of is). It’s not a fragile Abruzzi. It genuinely feels fun to play. Your guns aren’t trash, your torps have a noticable “oompf” to them, and by the time you hit something with them, you’ll have a new batch reloaded to fire again. You can simply get stuck in, not worry too much about weaknesses, because this ship barely has any. Time and time again she does consistent damage, rewards players for good play, and doesn’t punish too much when a player makes a mistake (unless it’s a big one, as it should be).
But I kind of feel like that’s exactly what’s wrong with her, and new destroyers in general. She doesn’t really have any weaknesses.
What the T-61 is, is a Gaede but better. The only downside you have here is no 150mm guns. Big whoop. You get gun range, awesome torpedoes, and concealment. Who wouldn’t want those things?
It’s a shame really, because I do like the Gaede, but I cannot go back to her after playing the T-61. A ship I feel like I have a very complicated relationship with.

Spoiler

Do I recommend the T-61?

Absolutely, yes. Great ship, great T6 premium. If you’re looking for a destroyer, look no further, she’s got a bit of everything, mixed together for an awesome combat package. If she stays the way she is right now, she’ll be a very popular premium destroyer.

• Cool 4

Players
2,381 posts
15,503 battles
29 minutes ago, Strefs said:

And I’ll tell you why.

WG want German Euros for Christmas?  T-61 is the equivalent of WG selling Massachusetts with a 25 second reload, 550m turning circle, 7km secondaries and radar. :cap_fainting:

308 posts
5,409 battles
13 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

WG want German Euros for Christmas? 

The main reason for selling premiums is revenue yes, which is why I stated:

49 minutes ago, Strefs said:

would they bring out a ship like this?

I am guessing you can find an answer to the first question yourself

22 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

T-61 is the equivalent of WG selling Massachusetts with a 25 second reload, 550m turning circle, 7km secondaries and radar. :cap_fainting:

What you are stating is I presume the underlying powercreep of the ship here. I feel the T-61 is strong, and stronger than the Gaede, which rubs me the wrong way. But it's not a Belfast.

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,914 posts
3,824 battles
25 minutes ago, Strefs said:

What you are stating is I presume the underlying powercreep of the ship here. I feel the T-61 is strong, and stronger than the Gaede, which rubs me the wrong way. But it's not a Belfast.

It also seems a lot stronger than Shinonome. And what point is there in playing Fubuki vs this thing?
It seems quite OP for its tier with all the advantages it has with no real drawbacks.

Players
2,381 posts
15,503 battles
43 minutes ago, Strefs said:

I feel the T-61 is strong, and stronger than the Gaede, which rubs me the wrong way. But it's not a Belfast.

It's like selling a new Belfast with a 6.3 second reload and 600m turning circle.

Players
934 posts
7,216 battles

And what point is there in playing Fubuki vs this thing?

Fubuki is a zen destroyer. It's not about where your enemies are, but where they are going to be when your torpedoes get there. A fragile destroyer with an aggressive torpedo pay load, like T-61, is probably going to be quite predictable in where it goes, so probably good Fubuki fodder.

I would be more worried if I were in an American DD, tbh: these pesky German DDs seem to be too good at most things, and now that hiding in smoke isn't easy, they don't have much to work with.

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,914 posts
3,824 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

And what point is there in playing Fubuki vs this thing?

Fubuki is a zen destroyer. It's not about where your enemies are, but where they are going to be when your torpedoes get there. A fragile destroyer with an aggressive torpedo pay load, like T-61, is probably going to be quite predictable in where it goes, so probably good Fubuki fodder.

I would be more worried if I were in an American DD, tbh: these pesky German DDs seem to be too good at most things, and now that hiding in smoke isn't easy, they don't have much to work with.

Fubuki is kind of trash for her tier. T-61 is a better torp boat due to better torp detection values, 6 knot faster torp speed, and 8 second fster torp reload, and a better gunboat with better maneuvrability and hydro to boot. The only advantage Fubuki has is 2km torp range, a single torp extra, and 1k torp alpha. In literally every single other regard she is equal or more often inferior.

Players
934 posts
7,216 battles

Fubuki is kind of trash for her tier.

Uninformed headbanging nonsense. A ship that can fire 12 torpedoes (with a range of 10km) from multiple angles every 60 seconds whilst remaining completely undetected... this is a subtle weapon, capable of wiping out full health battleships in one salvo or providing a creeping torp barrage to push the enemy back on their heels. Perhaps not for the crashbangboom brigade, but then why should 1-d players get their way?

• Cool 1

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,914 posts
3,824 battles
2 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Uninformed headbanging nonsense. A ship that can fire 12 torpedoes (with a range of 10km) from multiple angles every 60 seconds whilst remaining completely undetected... this is a subtle weapon, capable of wiping out full health battleships in one salvo or providing a creeping torp barrage to push the enemy back on their heels. Perhaps not for the crashbangboom brigade, but then why should 1-d players get their way?

Uninformed? I don't know in what world you live in but Fubuki has 9 torpedoes, not 12, and the reload on them is over 70 seconds.
And for a subtle weapon the torpedoes themselves are inferior in detection and speed to the the T-61s leading to them being easier to evade, with the T-61 reload compensating for the loss of 1 tube, and T-61 has no problem firing them from stealth either. 8 kilometers is a perfectly workable torpedo range for its concealment, Blys and Gallant don't struggle with such a range either. And the moment a T-61 spots a Fubuki it will slaughter it because it not only is its equal as a torp boat but also boasts better maneuvrability, hydro, health, and far superior gunpower, which it can also use to rack up more damage against BBs and cruisers if desired, which is more often worth it in a T-61 whereas the Fubuki lacks gunpower and survivability. Fubuki can't contest caps well nor can she fight other DDs well. The only thing it can somewhat do well is nuke BBs, but the T-61 can do that as well.

Fubuki is consistently the worst performing DD at T6 in terms of stats.

T-61 has the strenghts of the Fubuki/Shinonome and Gaede with none of their weaknesses.

• Cool 1

Players
1,071 posts
8,209 battles

You forgot one very important point to mention about the T-61. It is probably the best looking ship in the game right now. Like seriously, the ship and the camo simply look amazing and this alone is reason to buy the T-61. And yes, i'm one of those nerds who think that it is very important how a ship in wows or a character in any other mmo look like. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 5

Players
2,381 posts
15,503 battles
7 hours ago, Verdius said:

T-61 has the strenghts of the Fubuki/Shinonome and Gaede with none of their weaknesses.

Yep, this is the first premium that's literately a hard/soft stat buff. No gimmicks, weakness or 'oops beta' excuses to compensate, just straight buffs.

They've taken a balanced silver ship, given it a 25% reload boost and buffed lot's of soft stats to make it easier to play (stealth, manoeuvrability etc)

Is this good for the game?

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,914 posts
3,824 battles
6 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

Yep, this is the first premium that's literately a hard/soft stat buff. No gimmicks, weakness or 'oops beta' excuses to compensate, just straight buffs.

They've taken a balanced silver ship, given it a 25% reload boost and buffed lot's of soft stats to make it easier to play (stealth, manoeuvrability etc)

That is kind of what makes this a worse precedent than Belfast imho. Belfast is OP because it has its broken consumable loadout and T8 module, but it is not a straight up better Fiji. T-61 is a Gaede with better stats for money. You are directly buying power over the silver ship.

308 posts
5,409 battles
10 hours ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

You forgot one very important point to mention about the T-61. It is probably the best looking ship in the game right now. Like seriously, the ship and the camo simply look amazing and this alone is reason to buy the T-61. And yes, i'm one of those nerds who think that it is very important how a ship in wows or a character in any other mmo look like. :Smile_honoring:

She truly is a pretty ship, I have to agree. 

Though model-wise I enjoy the look of the Yuugumo just as much

Players
934 posts
7,216 battles

Fubuki is consistently the worst performing DD at T6 in terms of stats.

That's because the people who play it are expecting it to do something other than what it does.

I take your point about the stats - it is 9 torps (my bad) - but as someone whose stats in Fubuki are better than any other destroyer they've played, I don't see T-61 as the all conquering behemoth you think it is. I see it as a good ship whose players might get a little complacent, and DD play is very much a mind game.

[-GG-]
Players
160 posts
10,614 battles

Tier VI is very competitive now, including DDs. Personally I have Shinonome, Anshan + grinded past all tech-tree except PanAsia but still ... the King is only one and sits one tier below.

Kamikaze

I relly don't feel like buying any other med.-tier DDs. Kami will sexually abuse them anyway.

[BANDA]
Players
207 posts

So..., is april...., and T-61 not available.... 

It was a joke, about premium german DDs?

The same situation whit Z-39...:(

Any ideas?

Beta Tester
1,844 posts
2,580 battles

Spamming four seperate threads with the exact same post isn't going to help you get your answer any sooner mate.

Plus only WG has the answer to that one.

Beta Tester
1,844 posts
2,580 battles
2 hours ago, Varian_Dorn said:

Gonna pick this up now.... any word on the T-61 and Z-39?

Not a peep. At least nothing reliable.

Players
130 posts
7,677 battles

Dang. They're Holding back a lot of ships at the moment, from what little I know so far. Some of them for months by now.

Sign in to follow this