You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
MrConway

World of Warships Mod Section

22 comments in this topic

MrConway   

Captains,

As you may have seen on our portal, we have changed our approach to modifications on the forums from reactive to active moderation.

The good news is that this will mean that all mods you will be able to find on our Forums will be "safe". The bad news? All mod sections will be pre-moderated from now on, and modification threads will be checked by the WG team before being made visible, which will necessarily cause delays. This will be especially noticeable in the first weeks - but once we have gone through all initial submissions, this should get better.

Additionally we will be creating a new Forum group - Mod Makers - to which we will be adding the authors of popular mods to facilitate their contact with our Developers.

Action Stations!

• Cool 2

34 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Additionally we will be creating a new Forum group - Mod Makers - to which we will be adding the authors of popular mods to facilitate their contact with our Developers.

pls tell me I'm not dreaming...

Can you elaborate more on it? Should I create one extra post now for each mod (because there are a lot of them) or one for all mods from our group?

• Cool 1

MrConway   
9 minutes ago, IsamuKondera said:

pls tell me I'm not dreaming...

Can you elaborate more on it? Should I create one extra post now for each mod (because there are a lot of them) or one for all mods from our group?

It would be easiest to have one mod per thread from our side.

10 minutes ago, MrConway said:

It would be easiest to have one mod per thread from our side.

Okay.

Guess I have to redo everything then.

Because atm I have only one post for all mods. Some mods just don#t need any updates at all (hull & texture mods) and that just let em end up in a nogo zone where no one really sees them anymore.

Guess thats a drawback form the moderating option.. (when I think about all those history skins one of our EU guys did... dayum... thats gonna take a while redoing everything)

MrConway   
9 minutes ago, IsamuKondera said:

Okay.

Guess I have to redo everything then.

Because atm I have only one post for all mods. Some mods just don#t need any updates at all (hull & texture mods) and that just let em end up in a nogo zone where no one really sees them anymore.

Guess thats a drawback form the moderating option.. (when I think about all those history skins one of our EU guys did... dayum... thats gonna take a while redoing everything)

Let me clarify this. If the mods are essentially same in terms of content (i.e. historical camos for different ships) then it is fine to have them in one thread. If they have different functions then separate threads would be good.

3 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Let me clarify this. If the mods are essentially same in terms of content (i.e. historical camos for different ships) then it is fine to have them in one thread. If they have different functions then separate threads would be good.

So basically:

UI/Flag Mods into one thread...

and Anime Skins in another one

Joke/Meme Skins into an own

and History based skins in an own thread as well?

MrConway   
4 minutes ago, IsamuKondera said:

So basically:

UI/Flag Mods into one thread...

and Anime Skins in another one

Joke/Meme Skins into an own

and History based skins in an own thread as well?

Yes please!

Zemeritt   
6 hours ago, MrConway said:

Yes please!

A problem I see with this way is, that the skins, which barely need updates during patches will be lost into the deepest of the forums. While the threads with the other modifications, which need adjustments with every patch will be present at the top of the subforum, the threads about skins would be "lost" over time.

That would be a shame tbh.

MrConway   
16 minutes ago, Zemeritt said:

A problem I see with this way is, that the skins, which barely need updates during patches will be lost into the deepest of the forums. While the threads with the other modifications, which need adjustments with every patch will be present at the top of the subforum, the threads about skins would be "lost" over time.

We'll see how we can prevent that.

Maybe someone could start a master thread linking to the skin threads that we can pin.

Zemeritt   
2 minutes ago, MrConway said:

We'll see how we can prevent that.

Maybe someone could start a master thread linking to the skin threads that we can pin.

I don't much how much work it'd be and if all modders would agree to add their creations, but why not put the skins into the official Modpack? There are skins in it anyways.

Otherwise a masterpost would be the best solution for this problem.

7 hours ago, DreadArchangel said:

What is that X mark any way ??

It's the point at where you aim, so where you place your crosshair and it's part of the minimap mod that is included in Aslains Modpack, but iirc it's also included in the official WG Modpack. It's more or less a help to find the right distance to a ship. Usually it's not useful for normal play, as it's too time consuming to find where the X is on the minimap is, but it can be a help if you shoot at the last known position of ships, especially if they are in smoke. But then again, the spotting plane consumable let you pinpoint a ship in smoke too if it shoots and as soon as a ship moves even slightly, the X is useless while the spotter plane still works fine. IMO this X-helper is somewhere between harmless and useless in practical usage.

8 hours ago, DreadArchangel said:

What is that X mark any way ??

1 hour ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

It's the point at where you aim, so where you place your crosshair and it's part of the minimap mod that is included in Aslains Modpack, but iirc it's also included in the official WG Modpack. It's more or less a help to find the right distance to a ship. Usually it's not useful for normal play, as it's too time consuming to find where the X is on the minimap is, but it can be a help if you shoot at the last known position of ships, especially if they are in smoke. But then again, the spotting plane consumable let you pinpoint a ship in smoke too if it shoots and as soon as a ship moves even slightly, the X is useless while the spotter plane still works fine. IMO this X-helper is somewhere between harmless and useless in practical usage.

with a plane the enemy has too be firing for you to fir back by his tracers, and it's a cooldown - you spent it = you can't do it

the X allows you to hit targets, especially in smoke, with no further requirements (including that the enemy doesn't even have to fire)

• You didn't see where they were when they smoked up? Aim on the minimap and enjoy your hits
  • Don't have a spotter plane to get the elevated view to fire back by tracer? Horizontal aim in the easy part, vertical is what people always misjudge - and the X allows you to immediately select correct vertical aim to hit the target

The hits you can score with it are ridiculous, and you wouldn't be able to get them without it

1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

the X allows you to hit targets, especially in smoke, with no further requirements (including that the enemy doesn't even have to fire)

This is what i mentioned above. This only works if you go for last known position. If the target in smoke reposition, you need the same info (ship in smoke need to fire its guns) too to shoot the target in smoke. Sure you can take potshots into the smoke regardless, but for this you do not need the X. If you are unsure about the range, use the map to estimate it, draw virtual lines in your head from islands or cap buoys and so on. You'll be surprised how well this works with the 'natural' visual help the map offers without the X. Experienced players do this and hit targets in smoke quite reliably and this is when everyone calls for hacks, while they only use common sense and use map demographic characteristics to their advantage.

This is a typical gray area feature of a mod. Some think it gives an unfair advantage, others think it's useless because the map already offers the same info, one just need to use the own brain instead to look for a X on the map.

• Cool 1

On 21.11.2017 at 5:37 PM, wilkatis_LV said:

@MrConway I'd like to specify one thing:

p8BH86Q.png

Does this mean that WG finally recognizes "X marks the spot" as illegal mod?

E2bKhqS.jpg

I want to know about this one as well.

Also does that mean the "Smart Marker" and damage logging mods are illegal as well?

konean   

Whats the status about mods like the one that shows the angle of a ship and the running lights mod which shows if a ships is breaking or accelerating?

RethyI   

So WG said that all mods and modpacks are moderated. The mods above are all in Aslains and WG modpacks so it is clear that they are legal right? Are we going to ask about every mod in these modpacks? 

Also, most of the mods in these modpacks are created in RU, and can be traced back to RU forums and there they are moderated as well. 

The mods in the discussion are the ones that are not part of any modpacks from this forum.

16 hours ago, konean said:

Whats the status about mods like the one that shows the angle of a ship and the running lights mod which shows if a ships is breaking or accelerating?

12 hours ago, EineKrankheit said:

What about the mods that show you your team's and the enemy team's HP?

1 hour ago, RethyI said:

So WG said that all mods and modpacks are moderated. The mods above are all in Aslains and WG modpacks so it is clear that they are legal right? Are we going to ask about every mod in these modpacks? 

Also, most of the mods in these modpacks are created in RU, and can be traced back to RU forums and there they are moderated as well. 

The mods in the discussion are the ones that are not part of any modpacks from this forum.

As long as they are in WG modpack (Aslains too is confirmed to be 100% legit) you apparently can use them. That includes all of the ones you've mentioned and the "X" aswell

On 21.11.2017 at 11:18 PM, Zemeritt said:

If I understand Tuccy correctly, you would have to update the version number in the thread title anyway, even if no changes are required to adapt your mod to the latest WoWS update:

Please take care to indicate game version for which the mod is valid in the thread topic and to keep them updated

So I guess while you're at it, you could also bump the thread to the top (since a simple update of the thread title doesn't seem to bump it).

But some kind of illustrated table of contents for each subforum could be nice. Maybe it's also helpful for new users who can get a quick overview of what mods might be interesting for them?