You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
darkstar73

Kidd seems awesome

35 comments in this topic

Hello all. Have played my 1sgame with the Kidd. And i must say WOW. What a fun ship. I did my best, but still a loss. Got 3 ships. And shot down 31 planes. 31 PLANES!!!! With a destroyer :D What?? Never thought that was possible. MFC for AA is so damned brutal. She seems to be a cash cow too.. What do you guys think of her? 

Skärmbild (233).png

T0byJug   

good to now.. Kidd Certainly looks to be doing well Stat wise

Waiting to see if there are any black friday sales before I buy her.. Ive completed the USN DD line.  Keepers being tier 4/6/8/9/10 as I have a 6/13/16/19/19 point commander respectively. and have Sims i don't need a commander trainer. If Yo Lang is on sale i will get her after all new tech line being launched and I only have the Ashan then i will probably give Kidd a miss.. IF not i guess I buy her Friday.

yeah looks like a solid ship, and an interesting but overall not massively more powerful alternative to the Benson - which makes it a very good premium in my book.

Two things have so far kept me from buying though:

• The significant price for a T8 premium that I am not terribly likely to play all that much with the current state of matchmaking
  • And the fact that it's pretty incompatible with anything else in the US tree captain skill wise (closest MIGHT be an Atlanta that happens to take Last Stand, but on no US DD would I ever want AFT or MAA...), and I do sort of want to earn captain XP with a premium, not sink it into one...

29 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

closest MIGHT be an Atlanta that happens to take Last Stand, but on no US DD would I ever want AFT or MAA...

You dont want manual AA on Atlanta, I would go first for AFT, then IFHE and at the end CE or extra DPM (BFT and maybe LS/AR)

About the Kidd, im glad its balanced, it looked broken.

• Cool 1

11 minutes ago, Migulaitor said:

You dont want manual AA on Atlanta, I would go first for AFT, then IFHE and at the end CE or extra DPM (BFT and maybe LS/AR)

About the Kidd, im glad its balanced, it looked broken.

oh, I know how to Atlanta - and yes, MAA doesnt play a major role in that :)

but it's probably the best out of a lot of bad uses of MAA in the US lineup... might just be a question of priority between IFHE and MAA, depending on which ship someone would play more often - neither is straight up bad on the respective other ship...

imendars   
9 hours ago, T0byJug said:

good to now.. Kidd Certainly looks to be doing well Stat wise

Waiting to see if there are any black friday sales before I buy her.. Ive completed the USN DD line.  Keepers being tier 4/6/8/9/10 as I have a 6/13/16/19/19 point commander respectively. and have Sims i don't need a commander trainer. If Yo Lang is on sale i will get her after all new tech line being launched and I only have the Ashan then i will probably give Kidd a miss.. IF not i guess I buy her Friday.

Here is hoping that on black Friday sales Yo Lang gets sold as admiral package too with 10 or 12 skill commander, perhaps nice flag and maybe custom skin and all this with better discount than every weekend... :fish_cute_2:

My competitive Sims captain fits in Kidd just fine. PM, LS, SI, SE, CE, RL and AR.  Could have a moor more focused captain but Kidd farms Elite XP fine.

High DPM with heal makes you the DD crusher as it's unlikely other DDs will be using much AP on you. Getting the guns on target can see 2k+ wiped off every salvo with fires etc

Still can't work out why WG gave USN DDs a better multiplier forDefAA. It just makes IJN DDs sad yet again.

Nechrom   

Together with the Kamikazes and the Leningrad, the Kidd is now my go to "fun-DD".

The heal really seals the deal (hehe) and I can't count the number of times I've been kept in the battle and viable simply due to it.

Being able to actually fight off CV planes is also a bonus when it's needed.

• Cool 1

The Kidd has been a BIT disappointing to me. I don't think that it is the fault of the Kidd itself, but rather me. For some reason I find that I can't be as effective with the Kidd as I can be with the Fletcher, Benson or Sims. Which is weird, especially when looking to the Sims, as the Kidd is basically the same as the others I mentioned.

I have a feeling that I just become overconfident with the Kidd and that makes me suffer. For some reason I do stupid things with her, like sit in smoke for too long, knowing I should've left it a while ago.

What does bug me a lot more than it should is the decreased maneuverability compared to the Sims, Benson and Fletcher. The Kidd for some reason has about the same maneuverability as the Gearing. So I am eating torpedoes that I shouldn't.

Well, I guess I just figured out my problem with the Kidd. Her maneuverability is sub-par compared to the other USN DDs.

• Cool 1

2 hours ago, Negativvv said:

High DPM with heal makes you the DD crusher as it's unlikely other DDs will be using much AP on you.

IIRC 50% of HE and AP full pen damage can be healed, if that was the reason why you mentioned AP.

Lord_WC   
7 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Ah thought AP was far harder to heal, I'm thinking of citadel strikes...

I don't think there is a difference if AP or HE penned/citadeled you. HE is fully recoverable because it (usually) doesn't pen you, just like overpens. But it's pretty easy to check, just sit in a mino and get shot at by a conq.

Out of all the DD's, this one seems to really draw my attention :cap_wander: 

1) Survivability 

2) AA armaments 

3) Decent guns and 5 of them

4) Everyone says its a support ship, i like that.

5) Good DD killer (get in there and get out)

The problem is that DD's are by far, my worst ship line. Mann being the highest tier so far with something like 50% win rate.  Gallant is fun but i think i get through it due to inexperienced BB/CA tier 5-6 players that seem to move in perfect straight lines.  I really enjoyed the Nicolas for some reason and highest win rate off all DDs (70%) but considering i Havant had many games in it, its not much to Bragg about :Smile_teethhappy:

Being an alright cruiser captain, could this be my first DD that i enjoy? Or do you think i really need to grind the US DD line more to learn how to use it? Or do you think i can "learn on the job"?

Could this be the DD for me? Bloody expensive tho for a family man! :cap_wander_2:

I'm doing ok in her at the moment WR wise, nearly 70% for 21 games so I must be doing something half right at least. But damage is too low at the moment. I'm not used to USN DDs at all. Do you think it better to use HE or AP in a DD knife fight?

2 hours ago, Redcap375 said:

That's what littlewhitemouse said regarding the KIDD, its not a damage dealer.  

While I like LWM, she focused a bit much on the spotting aspect, regarding Kidd. 

To me Kidd is about cap control first and fire+flood second. Scouting is something a DD should do on-the-fly, in Random gameplay. 

• Cool 1

El2aZeR   
2 hours ago, Dragnorak said:

Do you think it better to use HE or AP in a DD knife fight?

Depends on the target tbh. Against a broadsiding Khaba (and probably Gearing too) AP tends to give huge returns at close range. You can also citadel some cruisers at ~3-4km.

Though against most targets you should stick to HE.

Btw guys, don't rely on Kidd's ability to defend herself against air strikes alone too much. I found that you can actually put her (and any other DD with DFAA) in a bind fairly quickly by going against textbook CV play and sending in your squads spread out and attack one by one, so either Kidd wastes her DFAA on a single squad or she has to deal with debuffs/DoT for a while along with any potential alpha strike you manage to hit.

(Assuming she is alone and you're playing a higher tier CV with sufficient numbers of strike squadrons ofc.)

Not that the vast majority of CV players will actually do this though.

I beat a Kidd in a gun duel in my Sims. He had 4k health left and I had 3k, he left me on about 150 hp!

Literally no idea how I walked away from that one, considering:

1) He had more health;

2) He is a tier higher;

3) He has more guns;

4) He had a (competitively) better ship.

I was actually hunting him at the time - I forgot he had heal, but I know looking back it wouldn't have been a factor in our duel as he had already used it to recover 3k hp.

I would upload a replay, but I don't have access to the computer it was saved on - I could link to a thread I started regarding the replay, but that would look scetchy and attention-seeking as it currently has 0 views.

I am tempted to buy the ship, as it feels like one of those premiums that WG just needs to buff once in the wrong way and it immediately becomes OP and removed from sale. Having said that, I don't think it'll do badly enough to actually warrant a buff. It's not like it's harder to play than Duca D'Aosta, and that one isn't going to be getting any buffs anytime soon.

iJoby   

A very generous friend (Fellow Forumite) sent me the Kidd (Admirals Edition #1) <- Modules with bundle.

This came with some handy modules, I am looking for advice from experience DD players on what would be the best modules to use with this ship?

I can also change the 19pt captain skills if need be to make this ship perform at it's best, even with my average playing skills.

World_of_Warships_Screenshot_2017.11.25_

37 minutes ago, iJoby said:

A very generous friend (Fellow Forumite) sent me the Kidd (Admirals Edition #1) <- Modules with bundle.

This came with some handy modules, I am looking for advice from experience DD players on what would be the best modules to use with this ship?

I can also change the 19pt captain skills if need be to make this ship perform at it's best, even with my average playing skills.

World_of_Warships_Screenshot_2017.11.25_

You don't need AA skills on the Kidd.

That Defensive Fire is good enough without them.

I am running a shared Gearing+Kidd captain without any AA skills and it works just fine for the Kidd.

(Gearing lost 9-11 sec torpedo reload, but gained a smoke, so it is fine too.)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Cool 1

On 11/21/2017 at 6:53 PM, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

I beat a Kidd in a gun duel in my Sims. He had 4k health left and I had 3k, he left me on about 150 hp!

Literally no idea how I walked away from that one, considering:

1) He had more health;

2) He is a tier higher;

3) He has more guns;

4) He had a (competitively) better ship.

I was actually hunting him at the time - I forgot he had heal, but I know looking back it wouldn't have been a factor in our duel as he had already used it to recover 3k hp.

Probably a plonker in a good ship.

• Cool 1

43 minutes ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

You don't need AA skills on the Kidd.

That Defensive Fire is good enough without them.

I am running a shared Gearing+Kidd captain without any AA skills and it works just fine for the Kidd.

(Gearing lost 9-11 sec torpedo reload, but gained a smoke, so it is fine too.)

[...]

I agree, AA skills aren't needed for the ship. But having them makes it quite a lot of fun. Especially if you have a CV in your division. Not every player has figured out that the Kidd is an invisible AA beast. But it isn't needed, just like it isn't needed on the Fletcher or the Gearing.

The only build that I would call sub-optimal would be a torp spec on the Kidd.

• Cool 1