Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Blixies

Plummeting WR, sometimes you just can't win.

49 comments in this topic

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,182 posts
4,096 battles

Hello thar!

Just wanted to share this interesting trend that developed in my game statistic. I'm not mad about it (although I won't pretend it's not frustrating for me) and I don't blame anybody but myself, don't worry :)

You might remember from another "WAAAAH WAAAH" thread a couple of weeks ago, where I sought advice on how to improve my gameplay (WR).

I did get some very solid advice there - mainly to change up the class I play the most (used to be BBs). I did exactly that. 

And here are the results:

bBmpfnf.png

Now, I don't think I deserve to have better winrate, and I have come to terms I'm not good enough to carry my team on my shoulders alone.

But shouldn't my "improvement" reflect in the WR also? Or am I wrong and this is perfectly normal?

Thanks for your time.

Players
3,607 posts
7,323 battles

Different ships?  Higher tiers?  More solo/less division?

It's easier to get a high WR seal clubbing at T4 than it is at T8+.

[CATS]
Players
14,751 posts
10,885 battles
  • You play very often in divisions --> the performance of divisions depends on 2+ people
  • Your number of solo games is quite low and random changes in WR are quite common with only few games
  • You played a lot of hight tier the last weeks, you WR from Tier VIII+ is worse than your average WR
  • Cool 1

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,182 posts
4,096 battles
7 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

Different ships?  Higher tiers?  More solo/less division?

It's easier to get a high WR seal clubbing at T4 than it is at T8+.

Well I do focus on high tiers, but that's nothing new, I always played as high as possible (double meaning intended), never farmed low tiers - at least not longer than for a few games.

But I guess my avg. tier played went up a bit.

Players
748 posts
11,447 battles

https://wows-numbers.com/player/508485217,Migulaitor/

Today 6 games, 5 with Z until I got my win, average 2 kills, 70k dmg all of this while focusing enemy DDs and capping above damage (so no ez farming on BBs).

In one game I played so well I got compliments from enemy team (Quite happy about it)

But still 20% WR

I know, low amount of games, not enough for data bla bla bla. But stills, feels frustrating.

So whats you are saying is totally normal, it sucks but its normal.

• Cool 1

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,182 posts
4,096 battles
10 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:
  • You played a lot of hight tier the last weeks, you WR from Tier VIII+ is worse than your average WR

Hey, you're absolutely right, I didn't think of it this way. Good insight :)

Spoiler

b0ugNrE.png

Still seems a bit weird that my best performance (based on rating) is on tier VIII and it's my lowest WR at the same time. Could it be the tier X heavy MM for VIII's lately perhaps?

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,182 posts
4,096 battles
1 minute ago, Migulaitor said:

https://wows-numbers.com/player/508485217,Migulaitor/

Today 6 games, 5 with Z until I got my win, average 2 kills, 70k dmg all of this while focusing enemy DDs and capping above damage (so no ez farming on BBs).

So whats you are saying is totally normal, it sucks but its normal.

You can't compare 5 games to hundreds of games (where RNG should play little to no role), but I get your point

Players
748 posts
11,447 battles
4 minutes ago, Blixies said:

You can't compare 5 games to hundreds of games (where RNG should play little to no role), but I get your point

Also consider if you play higher tier average dmg and xp will go up (or at least should).

And you are grinding lines, so (maybe) stock modules and captain retraining and for sure you need to adapt to new ships so you will play a bit worse.

Totally random and unrelated question: When was last time you bought something from WG? :Smile-_tongue:

[CATS]
Players
14,751 posts
10,885 battles
13 minutes ago, Blixies said:

Hide contents

b0ugNrE.png

Still seems a bit weird that my best performance (based on rating) is on tier VIII and it's my lowest WR at the same time. Could it be the tier X heavy MM for VIII's lately perhaps?

It was always like that.

Most people have lower WR in high tier. My tier VIII games lower my average too.

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,182 posts
4,096 battles
11 minutes ago, Migulaitor said:

Totally random and unrelated question: When was last time you bought something from WG? :Smile-_tongue:

Unfortunatelly, I feed them monies all the time :(

8 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

It was always like that.

I have to disagree with you there, before my long break (1 year ago), you were top tier MUCH more often as tier VIII.

Can't even compare the state of MM then and now, there's a HUGE difference IMO.

Or do you mean that tier VIII always lowered one's WR?

Also consider if you play higher tier average dmg and xp will go up (or at least should).

Yes, but the rating (kills, efficiency, capping etc) goes way up for me as well - that's the part which should be reflected by WR (or at least, that was my original point).

And you are grinding lines, so (maybe) stock modules and captain retraining and for sure you need to adapt to new ships so you will play a bit worse.

Good thought but I always retrain my cpt for elite XP, and I always un-stock my ship for free XP right after I purchase it, so it's not that in my particular case.

[NWP]
Players
3,589 posts
5,930 battles
1 hour ago, Blixies said:

Many ppl struggle on T8 and perform poorly. If u perform well u will get a good rating id say. Unfurtunately tho, performing good on T8 doesnt yield u so many wins, because the higher tier ships still need to carry their own weight.

Looks a bit similar to me: Lowest WR T8 (well except T3, but idc so much about that) 3rd place in PR (after T9 and T2) but all in all are very close together. Lowest avg kills tho (after T2..)

Supertest Coordinator
6,336 posts
4,255 battles

My performance looks similar to be honest. My wr slides gradually while my pr and other stats improve. 

But its pretty obvious why this is the case for me. I’m learning new ships and playing more high tier. And to be honest I could make my wr to go back up to 60%... by seal clubbing :)

• Cool 1

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,182 posts
4,096 battles
29 minutes ago, Admiral_noodle said:

My performance looks similar to be honest. My wr slides gradually while my pr and other stats improve. 

But its pretty obvious why this is the case for me. I’m learning new ships and playing more high tier. And to be honest I could make my wr to go back up to 60%... by seal clubbing :)

Well, seems like we're in the same boat*. It just wasn't so obvious to me, but it looks it's just the case after all.

Spoiler

*WArd3Jp.png

Beta Tester
3,911 posts
13,875 battles
3 hours ago, Blixies said:

You do know how that rating is done?

The Personal Rating is measure of skill in World of Warships. It measures performance in every warship and compares it to certain expected values. Differences between actual and expected values are used to calculate final Personal Rating value.

Then comes a formula which - in the end - leads to: Damage > Kills > Winrate

(for details go -> https://wows-numbers.com/personal/rating)

So it seems You manage to do a lot of damage and kills at T8, but win less games. Which, considering the phat juicy high HP targets - some of which can even repair a lot of the HE spam going on - doesn't come as a surprise.

[CLADS]
Players
151 posts
9,963 battles

Based on your charts I'd say are a bit sloppy lately when it comes to finding the moment where you have to seize an oppurtunity/make a stand/take one for the team, and instead you're just mindlessly farming damage. 

Play DD's and try to practice the art of 'getting rid of the enemy DD's early on without taking substantial damage yourself' that will help your winrate (once you're mastered it ofcourse hehe) 

Players
3,607 posts
7,323 battles
1 hour ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Then comes a formula which - in the end - leads to: Damage > Kills > Winrate

(for details go -> https://wows-numbers.com/personal/rating)

In fact WR is only about 15% of that PR system, and I think about the same at WT, which is IMO on the low side in terms of what I think makes a good player, so it really favours campers and damage farmers over playing the objective.

Players
301 posts
7,701 battles

@Blixies

Don't worry you do get periods like that, heck I had an 11 game loss streak in the Giulio Cesare while constantly doing between 60-110k damage and even got 4 kills twice, and was constantly in the top 3 (more often than not top). Some times MM just decides to give you an entire team of idiots to play with against a load of high ranked players and no matter how well you do unless you sink like 9 ships, or you team isn't bad enough and actually take some down with them.

Only twice have I hard carry a team that badly one was the first game I had in the Texas the other was ranked in the Scharnhorst...

Spoiler

20160808233328_1.thumb.jpg.b206daf8553934a1a96601669db2c233.jpg

20160808233353_1.thumb.jpg.c30615046d7526e731198594103f2ec2.jpg

20160808233359_1.thumb.jpg.996bd6e2defe0d648ab46d1989f8df31.jpg

20170218222753_1.thumb.jpg.079cc19a7a6c6a02560a9fcd46f6464b.jpg

20170218222757_1.thumb.jpg.e4267c108541d39a7923ed63bfd05ef8.jpg

20170218222802_1.thumb.jpg.87562a7f45a24772cd0ede5720791139.jpg

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,182 posts
4,096 battles

@Chaos_Umbra I try that to be my general mentality, but this particular period lasts for 200 games as you can see :)

I think I'll stick to tier seven for some time, I still have things to learn.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,784 posts
10,685 battles
6 hours ago, Blixies said:

Hide contents

b0ugNrE.png

I'm too lazy to go and look into your stats right now, but this seeming paradox might be (without checking can't say for sure if is) explained easily by a single factor: crap t8 ships. You need to understand what the "rating" stands for. Derivative stats like these (be it PR or WTR) follow different formulas but they have one thing in common: they control for the average ship performance. Your performance (not very reliable measure since it's overely damage-focused, but let's leave this aside) is compared to the average performance of the ship. So, if you play an OP ship, you might be the decisive factor behind your teams' victories, but not getting that high of a PR because other people also tend to do better in OP ships. If, on the other hand, you play a crappy ship and pull your weight somehow, you might be getting high PR values - not because you do more than in the OP ship but because you are more ahead of average for the vessel.

[CHAOS]
Players
2,359 posts
10,784 battles
7 hours ago, Blixies said:

bBmpfnf.png

Ignoring all posts and just looking to this screenshot, my guess would be:

1) You just switched from BB to other classes like CA and/or DD.
2) You still focus on enemy BBs, which would explain the high damage, but low impact on a win
3) You play on long distances, keeping you alive longer = allows you to deal more damage, but again, makes you less of an impact to a win

Solutions:
1) Making supporting own DDs your number one priority. If you play DD yourself, focus on spotting and capping, not on damage.
2) Go on medium distances by using cover, allied smoke, stealth and WASD-dodging, to be able to do number 1 more effecient.
3) Dont spam HE on one single BB. Instead, Ignite as many other ships as possible, or even just go to stealth again, you dont have to take unessesary hits.

Sadly, many people suffer from the "instant-shooting"-Syndrome, means they shoot the very first red ship in range, no matter if it makes sense or if they waste a good chance of a surprise attack. Sometimes its better to not fight and let the own (mostly still full-life) BBs tank some stuff. On this way, even potato BBs are unwillingly useful to you. While the enemy is wasting time and effort on those BBs, you can change position, reload torps, get cover or do what the heck ever is useful to win the match.
4) Stealth is your biggest friend as CA/DD. Dont give it up just to deal some irrelevant damage to BBs only. Wait for a good opportunity to surprise your enemy. If the enemy team dosent know you are there, their DDs are more likely to overextend, and you can intercept/spot them easy. Seriously, my own performance improved A LOT by overcoming the "instant-shooting"-Syndrome. And dont worry about low average damage. If you get used to it you will see, that you will get the same or even more damage.

Weekend Tester
769 posts
3,524 battles

I still say you're thinking and worrying about this far too much and blowing it out of all proportion. Your dip in WR has largely come about as a result of the last 500 games. Let's apply your previous 59% WR over that 500 game session, giving you 295 wins out of the 500 games played and make a relatively minor change of turning just 20 victories into losses to simulate literally one or two uncontrollably bad sessions in an otherwise strong couple of months. Your WR is now 55% for the period and pretty much gives you the drop in your overall win rate you're concerning yourself over.

Win rate will never climb/fall linearly or hold a perfect equilibrium. It will always fluctuate in the short term and the higher your win rate the more violent the downwards fluctuations, a loss impacts a 100% win rate more than it does a 50% win rate, so with your win rate being as high as it was to begin with all it takes is a couple of nightmare sessions, which happen to literally everyone, to give the false impression of a long term problem. The smaller the sample of games the less control you personally have over your win rate. You're a good player, keep doing what you've been doing, stop trying to micromanage your stats and think longer term where stuff like this cancels out.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
1,211 posts
15,064 battles

look at my 7 day stats .. i did nothing wrong , just **** patatoes on weekends

Each time i get close to 59% winrate , i get the fucng idiots on my team..

I have taken a small break from this game

Players
1,071 posts
8,209 battles

To maintain a high winrate as solo player is very dependent on the ship you play, even more so at T8+. You can carry many games as DD, but not so much as Cruiser and even less as BB. The simple reason is, as DD you are independent, you are stealthy and you have different tools to sink enemy ships while being able to outrun a lot of other ships and play objectives. These abilities are very important the longer a game last. As a cruiser you are dependent on allies, that they spot for you, that they act as meat shield for you so you can deal damage, that they play objectives for you.

Bottom line is, there are ships with which it is possible to carry games and there are ships that can not do this, because they simply lack firepower, hitpoints, armor, stealth. And todays playerbase make it unfortunately necessary that you, as a solo player, have to carry at least 2 ally potatoes in addition to your own weight, because they are not able to tie their own shoes without external help, let alone playing their ships properly.

[BLITZ]
Players
2,079 posts
9,146 battles

I don't give a ship about my winrate anymore.

Just trying to play the objectives, that's for me all I can do. Why bother about things I can't affect?

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this