You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Murro_the_One

What's your most influential ship class?

20 comments in this topic

Players
163 posts
2,762 battles

I recently realized that after some time in WoWs where i tried to play different ship classes I'm most likely to end with Cruisers(45%) or Destroyers(42%) as these 2 allows me to influence the outcome of the battles most effective way and the kit of Cruiser and Destroyer is so flexible that it makes it easy to react to what's happening on the map.

Recently i started playing german Cruisers, Koenigs and Nurn bergs are just fantastic, York is not so much ;)

Not that i don't like playing BBs, but since at the tier I'm currently(5-6) I'm not able to win games because i have slow ship and once committed to on side, it take infinity to get back to help and I'm always reacting to the situation, not creating the plays. It is just frustrating to try play and get played...

Base on the fight with some of the forumites i tried langley as my only CV experience(based on argument that if i don't play them, i cant talk about them), after 17 battles i averaged~ 71% wr by playing around objectives, spoting enemy DDs and their torps or protecting allied ships.

So based on the winrate, i would say CV is the way of most influence, which is not new to anyone, but i cant stay the cancerous game mechanic.

Reason I'm bringing this topic up is the amount of clueless people and while i don't want to play CV's due to my conscience, i cant play BBs as i cant rely on the team in most of the battles even i would love to.

What is your strongest class and why?

Players
3,363 posts
5,845 battles

Interesting topic. My most influential class would be : a Division :Smile_great:. Seriously, it boils down to what you say here pretty much:

5 minutes ago, Murro_the_One said:

i cant rely on the team in most of the battles

But you can on your divisionmates (they need to be somewhat decent, ofc). Within the Division, its not so much about what class you play, you only need to be good with that class in general. We talk about what ships we play before we start a round, and I make my pick accoring to that. So if we already have a DD, ill jump in Cruiser. If we have a CV, im gonna pick a Cruiser with good AA. We have a cruiser, ill go for a BB.

Playing solo, I agree, that CV is the most influencal class. You have the potential to strike anywhere at any time, thus making crucial play happen without risking your own life. But this RTS-gameplay is not for everyone, especially when you are here for the action-type gameplay. I personaly play other RTS-games if I look for that kind of game.

Looks like u havent played Division. If u wanna give it a try, add me in game and feel free to write me anytime you see my online. Im usualy up for anything starting T4+.

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

In my opinion, the classes with the most influence are as follows : CV > DD > BB > CA/CL. Now, this is generally speaking and really depends on which ships you are comparing.

[I401]
Beta Tester
1,013 posts
8,078 battles

Strongest class or most influential class? Its not the same.

Strongest class (not according to my stats but according to my feelings): DDs, cause capturing areas and spotting wins games, not the 20km random citadels.

Most influential: Carriers of course, if i have a bad day or i get papedipupi as an opposing CV my team will definetly lose, but if everything goes as planned, we win.

[BLITZ]
Players
2,079 posts
9,146 battles

Oh, that destroyer isn't moving at all. - No problem, there's one dying within the first five minutes most of the time anyway.

The guns of this cruiser right next to me are still straight forward/backward. - Pfff... they get nuked by battleships pretty often, so what?!

Wait, this battleship is still in our spawn? - There are five more of them in my team anyhow.

Jesus, our carrier still hasn't launched any planes. - Let's farm some damage, this one will be over very soon! :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
922 posts
11,316 battles
11 minutes ago, SeeteufeI said:

Oh, that destroyer isn't moving at all. - No problem, there's one dying within the first five minutes most of the time anyway.

The guns of this cruiser right next to me are still straight forward/backward. - Pfff... they get nuked by battleships pretty often, so what?!

Wait, this battleship is still in our spawn? - There are five more of them in my team anyhow.

Jesus, our carrier still hasn't launched any planes. - Let's farm some damage, this one will be over very soon! :Smile_izmena:

This. Have an AFK or potato CV and your game is pretty much lost.

• Cool 1

Players
457 posts
10,048 battles

This week-end, I had in opposing team a OM player in Hakuryuu in div with a WGPTW and another one (in De Moines and the 3rd I don't remember but a strong AA ship). The  guy has 90% win rate in his CV in more than 300 games. 

Our CV had a bit less than 50%. It obviously ended in a loss even if we made it the hardest we could for them. And as I was in Shima I had a miserable game (managed to kill the De Moine though).

I think CVs have way too much influence in the outcome of games right now.

After that, there is a huge difference in the outcome between a DD that can't survive and doesn't do his job (capping, scouting) and a DD that does. But an average DD just doing his job will be enough to let the rest of the team carry, even if the opposite DD is an unicum.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
877 posts
5,131 battles

While DDs can have an influence on the game (capping, spotting etc) if the enemy CV player puts a plane over the cap it makes the job of the DD so much harder as the only option is to smoke up (I try to not do so as it removes me as a spotter).

Also as more ships get radar (or the equivalent) it also makes DD play harder (not that I want it easy) especially when on some ships the detection works up to 10km away.

[CATS]
Players
14,751 posts
10,885 battles

There is global significant difference in WR between DD and BB.

Based on WR IJN CV stand out on most tiers.

Players
3,607 posts
7,323 battles
1 hour ago, stewie533 said:

CV > DD > BB > CA/CL

I'm not sure that I'd put DD ahead of BB, except to the extent that they're relatively rare, 1/5 AFK BB is one thing, 1/2 AFK DD is another.

[FAM]
Alpha Tester
2,435 posts
7,140 battles

As a CV you've got the tools to heavily influence the battle but your impact becomes truly big once the battle gets long because long battle = more strikes.

This is basically why I practically dropped all classes and now almost only play carrier.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,450 posts
13,843 battles

By design CVs CAN be the most influential class in the game.

- they are the teamplay forcing mechanic

- they are the primary scouters

- they are the hard counter to DDs, the 2nd most influential ship class

These factors all hand CVs tremendous potential, but on the other hand because they have all these great characteristics they also have severe limitations imposed on them, so they can quickly become a non-factor in terms of match outcome if their teammates suck (or the enemy simply doesn't). It's simple balancing, really, as it is in adherence of the spectrum of totally worthless to excessively dominant, encompassing both ends more so than any other class. If something can never be completely worthless then it also cannot be excessively dominant.

And what most people whining about CVs do not realize, cutting down on one end automatically means having to cut down the other. For example if you were to nerf the alpha strike of CVs, then AA must not be allowed to be capable of eliminating an entire strike regardless of power and concentration. This is obviously against the base concept of what roles CVs are supposed to play, but serves as a simple to understand example.

Players
432 posts
6,448 battles

Destroyer. Its not about being good in them even, its more about removing a possible complete retarded DD from the team

[NWP]
Players
3,589 posts
5,930 battles
1 hour ago, Capra76 said:

I'm not sure that I'd put DD ahead of BB, except to the extent that they're relatively rare, 1/5 AFK BB is one thing, 1/2 AFK DD is another.

Personaly i wouldnt put Cruisers at the end. But not all Cruisers are the same.

CV > many DDs/Certain Cruisers > Certain BBs and Cruisers/ Rest DDs > Rest Cruisers and BBs > CV

F.e. a Cruiser with Radar in a match without CVs has the best potential to kill a DD which has a high influence. So these Cruisers are on par with DDs basicly. Not all DDs have the same influence on a match.

Also the influence of a BB is highly bound to RNG. If in 2 salvos i devastate or almost devastate 2 Cruisers its already a big +. But sometimes u fail miserably for several salvos.

Certain Cruisers have really almost no influence.

CV are ofc top and bottom. A good CV can carry your [edited]to victory, while a bad CV can also drag your team down.

But the biggest strongpoint: Divisions. They are on top of everything aswell can be the nail to the coffin. 3 Super unicums have the highest impact when played well together, as when 3 Potatoes take out 3 DDs or 3 T10 BBs and wont produce anything to the match.

Players
961 posts
4,865 battles

Interesting topic. 

I'm most influential in cv apparently, 60%wr, but only 112 games played. And I'm not particulary good in them, there are just a lot of potatoes between t4 and t7 which you can farm (and yes, ijn cvs).

I do best in dds on average by a long shot, but baring complete idiocy on the enemy team you will need some kind of support. I carried enough teams, but if there is no one around to keep the enemies attention you will struggle. 

Bb can be quite influential in terms of area denial for cruisers or slamming the brakes on an enemy push, but as long as dds are in the game they are limited in movement and aggressiveness (Missouri might be an exception [325k free xp remaining....]).

Players
3,607 posts
7,323 battles
5 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

F.e. a Cruiser with Radar in a match without CVs has the best potential to kill a DD which has a high influence. So these Cruisers are on par with DDs basicly

Radar yes, but doesn't this underline the problems cruisers have?  Their biggest effect is a 30 second consumable that only some have and which isn't limited to CA anyway.

9 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Also the influence of a BB is highly bound to RNG. If in 2 salvos i devastate or almost devastate 2 Cruisers its already a big

BB determine where everybody else can go and what they can do, if they move forward and dominate the cap zones then cruisers can support and DD can cap, if they camp on line A then the other ships either camp with them or get blasted by the red ships who aren't camping.

I think the Ocean map should be brought back for low tier battles, it's such a good tool for teaching BB players about teamplay.

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles
1 hour ago, Capra76 said:

26 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Personaly i wouldnt put Cruisers at the end. But not all Cruisers are the same.

CV > many DDs/Certain Cruisers > Certain BBs and Cruisers/ Rest DDs > Rest Cruisers and BBs > CV

[...]

Well, sure, not all cruisers are created equal. But in order to differenciate between those as well, then you need to start sorting on influential gimmicks, and this wasn't the topic. I basically excluded the gimmicks. Because a Missery > most DDs as well. While in general I think the DDs (due to their concealment and torpedoes) are more influential to the game than all classes except the CV.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,994 battles

Without a doubt CVs, despite representing less than 3% of my total battles.

Out of the other three classes both cruisers and BBs are neck in neck with cruisers having a slight advantage.

DDs for me are unfortunately not the play-makers they should be.

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,182 posts
4,096 battles

According to WoWs numbers it's DDs:

Spoiler

lR7AblI.png

And I would have to agree - I feel I have the most impact while playing DDs.