You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jethro_Grey

Indianapolis - still at Sea...

31 comments in this topic

[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles

Well, WG put up the Indianapolis with a commemorative flag in the shop.

When i heard the news i was actually really hyped, because a) it originally came without and b) it could indicate that all the premiums that were sold long ago and don't have a commemorative flag may get one. Being a sucker for commemorative flags and a collector, i couldn't await to buy me one despite having the Indianapolis rotting in my port for ages.

So i flashed my card, went to shop, saw the price tag and was shocked.

The only bundle that contains the flag comes with 10k Doubloons and other fluff, so basically a standard rip-off bundle, except for a ship i already have and a bad one at that.

You know WG, if you'd add that flag to each and every bundle i would have boght it without a second hesitation, yet you chose to put it in the top bundle as you usually do with NEW premiums. And for a ship that has been out for ages now.

I can understand that you wanna make a lot of cash with these "collector bundles" and i usually buy them being all shiny and new, but for ships that have been out for ages? Lol, no.

Except players who don't have the ship yet, who would buy the top bundle just for the flag?

Well, you don't have to guess: nobody.

I am a die hard collector and i'm not touching that bundle with a ten foot pole. I also have a bad feeling that other ships may get the same treatment.

I'd so like a Tirpitz commemorative flag, but knowing WG, it'll be locked behind a 100€ rip-off bundle paywall.

Thanks, but no thanks.**

**Originally, i planeed to close my little rant with something along the lines of "...shove it where the sun don't shine...", but i rather have this thread be open for a while, so more folks can post their opinion. 

• Cool 5

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,997 posts

IMHO, such a flag should become unlockable (for 1 credit) after earning a certain amount of XP in said premium ship. Would entice players also to play the more non-popular premium ships. And then you can reap money from them, because all that accumulated XP on the ship needs doubloons to be of any use as free XP. 

My €0.02

• Cool 10

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,296 posts
7,564 battles
23 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

When i heard the news i was actually really hyped, because a) it originally came without and b) it could indicate that all the premiums that were sold long ago and don't have a commemorative flag may get one. Being a sucker for commemorative flags and a collector, i couldn't await to buy me one despite having the Indianapolis rotting in my port for ages.

The only bundle that contains the flag comes with 10k Doubloons and other fluff, so basically a standard rip-off bundle, except for a ship i already have and a bad one at that.

Well that is kind of their thing selling the flags only in Top Bundles. It would devaluate them if they do it for the low bundles now when the Premium gets old. But I am with you those flags are cosmetic and totally obsolete because you can mount only one and Wg already showered us with lot of those (as long as they all stay without bonus unlike the CAT one) But isn't that exactly how it should be? Money only for cosmetics?

You know WG, if you'd add that flag to each and every bundle i would have boght it without a second hesitation, yet you chose to put it in the top bundle as you usually do with NEW premiums. And for a ship that has been out for ages now.

I can understand that you wanna make a lot of cash with these "collector bundles" and i usually buy them being all shiny and new, but for ships that have been out for ages? Lol, no.

Except players who don't have the ship yet, who would buy the top bundle just for the flag?

I hope you are right and most people won't buy the top bundles only because of a cosmetic flag that does nothing (so effectively wasting your money on some dubloons and credits), but i wouldn't bet money on it.

I don't have the ship but still wouldn't buy the topbundle even if I were interested because i don't need the extras and have enough flags. I only go for the Topbundles if I get a discount only considering the things in the bundle i actualy need (like the Kidd one most recently as i was running low on Dubloons and plan on buying Lenin and Lo Yang - waiting for a discount on those now and actualy wanted to buy the Kidd too)

I am a die hard collector and i'm not touching that bundle with a ten foot pole. I also have a bad feeling that other ships may get the same treatment.

I'd so like a Tirpitz commemorative flag, but knowing WG, it'll be locked behind a 100€ rip-off bundle paywall.

Thanks, but no thanks.**

**Originally, i planeed to close my little rant with something along the lines of "...shove it where the sun don't shine...", but i rather have this thread be open for a while, so more folks can post their opinion. 

So just "play" one Season of Ranked to Rank 1 and put the Pirate flag on all your ships that don't have a fitting one as imo that is the best and most universal fitting one without a bonus. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles
18 minutes ago, Miessa3 said:

So just "play" one Season of Ranked to Rank 1 and put the Pirate flag on all your ships that don't have a fitting one as imo that is the best and most universal fitting one without a bonus. :Smile_honoring:

I don't understand that unless we were playing wooden ships with 20+ cannons per side. Which is not the case. What's the sense on putting a pirate flag on a military ship? Good for the ones that like it but I don't get it and will never play a masochist ranked season for such thing.

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,997 posts
Just now, SHDRKN4792 said:

What's the sense on putting a pirate flag on a military ship?

It's still a thing in the British submarine world. The Jolly Roger gets flown from the mast when a ship returns from a "successful hunt".

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,296 posts
7,564 battles
Just now, SHDRKN4792 said:

I don't understand that unless we were playing wooden ships with 20+ cannons per side. Which is not the case. What's the sense on putting a pirate flag on a military ship? Good for the ones that like it but I don't get it and will never play a masochist ranked season for such thing.

Just now, MrFingers said:

It's still a thing in the British submarine world. The Jolly Roger gets flown from the mast when a ship returns from a "successful hunt".

Also there are still plenty of real "modern" pirates around! And yes those ain't using the old wooden ships.

[TOAST]
Players
1,996 posts
25,653 battles
9 minutes ago, Miessa3 said:

Also there are still plenty of real "modern" pirates around! And yes those ain't using the old wooden ships.

Ahh! I see what you mean.

pirate ship.jpg

• Cool 4

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles
16 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

Well, that's interesting, didn't know about that. However it's still strange for me. But well, like we say at my homeland "you'll never go to sleep without learning something new".

14 minutes ago, Miessa3 said:

Well yeah, but as shown above that still doesn't have much to do with military ships, right?

[SM0KE]
Players
2,080 posts
5,843 battles
15 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

Wasn't the last one to do so Conqueror, on her return from the S. Atlantic in 1982?

• Cool 1

[OSC]
Players
2,731 posts
10,257 battles

Jethro, you should really send me some of that excessive cash you have lying around.
I can PM you my adress / bank account. :Smile_Default:

[PMI]
Players
240 posts
124 battles

I for one find it in quite poor taste, the "still at sea" slogan. That is on par with the japanese flag celebrating 75 years of pearl harbor, so its not really new.

Since I already own the ship I will not even be getting it, as the OP pointed out, why would we.

[NED]
Players
1,643 posts
6,131 battles

I would think it proper for wargaming to hand out such flags to previous owners of ships who where sold without a flag bundle available because asking them to rebuy the ship (and the top bundle at that) is completely unreasonable.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,207 posts
10,386 battles
16 hours ago, SHDRKN4792 said:

I don't understand the point of all the other flags. If they had any benefits, sure, but they're all purely cosmetic.

I don't really care for all the "special" or silly national flags, so I sail the pirate flag.

Players
1,423 posts
13,055 battles
36 minutes ago, lup3s said:

I don't understand the point of all the other flags. If they had any benefits, sure, but they're all purely cosmetic.

I don't really care for all the "special" or silly national flags, so I sail the pirate flag.

I like to collect them for some weird reason. But i never pay money for them. But as rewards, why not. :)

[BYOB]
Players
3,076 posts
11,078 battles
11 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

I like to collect them for some weird reason. But i never pay money for them. But as rewards, why not. :)

Same. I find it disappointing that WG has decided to limit those flags to highly priced bundles.

But i'm always on the lookout for new ones to add.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,346 posts
14,963 battles
54 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

Same. I find it disappointing that WG has decided to limit those flags to highly priced bundles.

But i'm always on the lookout for new ones to add.

This...

I can understand if the flag was not in the basic bundle..  But i see no reason why it cant be in all the others...

17 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Wasn't the last one to do so Conqueror, on her return from the S. Atlantic in 1982?

Yes HMS Conqueror.. but it was not just an RN thing USN And Germans Did it as well.. not sure about other nations.. but pretty sure its just a Submariner  thing in General 

It was a RN sub that did it first in 1914 when HMS E-9 sank the German Cruiser SMS Hela. It was a Dig at a RN Admiral that stated in 1901 that all submariners should be treated as Pirates in wartime.

The admiral was First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Arthur Wilson The head of the RN at the time

Another popular one was a Broom.

On subject of flags.. One idea i have that i think would be cool is a Commander Rank Flags..

Most Navys have flags that are flown if there is an officer Senior than Captain on board. this would start at 11+ point Commanders in game. This should be an additional Flag

Below is the example of RN ones. this would be pure bragging flags and could be unlocked for all or by nation as a shop purchase.  Would be great to have a Union Flag Flying on any RN ships with a 19 point commander

5a0d581017686_RNRankflags.thumb.png.68d4ec05aa84304b05990e222510bf0e.png

This is where the name Flag Rank comes from when referring to seiner officers.

Other nations Flags

tCTM45H.thumb.png.9fe957e42f33874b8a4b2ddbdc782a93.png

• Cool 7

Beta Tester
628 posts
6,436 battles
18 hours ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Thanks, but no thanks.**

Well, it may seem a pay-wall for the flag, that many players find insulting and/or rip-off, but the one thing to consider is that FLAGs are so far are only visuals and cosmetics. As long as WG keeps it like that I have absolutely no issue as how they price them. To be honest compared to other game publishers WG is more on the "fair" side in terms of paid content strategy. Many other publishers are trying to "lure in" players for mandatory paid content (i.e. lootboxes giving in-game items that are needed to win/progress).

For collectors the Admiral Bundles is indeed not a good choice as even if you get doublons for the ship if you have it in port and MORE doublons in the package you can't use them efficiently in the game. (signal flags maybe).

However if you consider players who invest into the game through premium ships the Admiral bundle is a good deal: as you get the premium ship that will generate Elite XP and you get doublons in the package to convert it to FreeXP, signal flags in the package will boost the capacities even further. And if clever players wait for a 35:1 conversion discount they can do a nice deal out of it...

MAYBE one day WG will introduce a kind of "Marketplace" for WoWs inside the game thought which cosmetic elements can be traded...?  You have seen it somewhere else, haven't you? :-)

[HAERT]
Players
414 posts
5,960 battles

I played my Indianapolis the other day for the first time in ages and had a blast.   Its a much more fun ship than I remembered.   

As for @Jethro_Grey's comments, I agree they should make the flag obtainable to previous purchasers.   Either just give it to us, make us do some exclusive missions for it, or let us buy it with dubloons or something.   

[TOAST]
Players
1,996 posts
25,653 battles
2 hours ago, T0byJug said:

On subject of flags.. One idea i have that i think would be cool is a Commander Rank Flags..

Genius Idea. :Smile_medal:

• Cool 1

Players
146 posts

It's really weird how WOWs celebrate birthdays. Because it always end with giving money to WG. Birthday of some Scifi dude. Give money to WG. Birthday of a ship. Give money to WG.

On WOWp they did (and probably do again) it the other way around.

http://blog.worldofwarplanes.eu/mechanics/lets-start-celebrating-birthdays/

In my eyes a much better  system...:cap_haloween:

[TOAST]
Players
191 posts
2,554 battles

Won my Indianapolis in a SC last month, for a T7 ship she is definitely worth the price of the Standard bundle, 

[BYOB]
Players
3,076 posts
11,078 battles

There is a bundle for the Blyskawica with the Naval Jack flag. But I won't be buying it as dropping 50€ for a flag is ridiculous.

Would have been interested if the offered it as a standalone item to owners.

[NED]
Players
1,643 posts
6,131 battles

I would like to know what wargaming thinks of this surely they must agree that expecting people who already bought the ships earlier to buy the top bundle again just for the flag is unreasonable ?

[WJDE]
Players
74 posts
303 battles
32 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

There is a bundle for the Blyskawica with the Naval Jack flag. But I won't be buying it as dropping 50€ for a flag is ridiculous.

Would have been interested if the offered it as a standalone item to owners.

14 minutes ago, piet11111 said:

I would like to know what wargaming thinks of this surely they must agree that expecting people who already bought the ships earlier to buy the top bundle again just for the flag is unreasonable ?

I think WG wants these flags to be special, somewhat rare items. That's why many are in admiral packages only.

[BYOB]
Players
3,076 posts
11,078 battles
36 minutes ago, imendars said:

I think WG wants these flags to be special, somewhat rare items. That's why many are in admiral packages only.

If so then they need to kick the person responsible for this out ASAP. Here's why:

-These flags don't do anything. There is no prestige attached to them. In fact the flags with the most status can be had for free.

-The flags are mostly invisible to other players. In the heat of the battle other players don't look at the flag you hoisted, they look at your guns and smokestack.

-Locking them behind a hard paywall means a loss of sales. A separate package for the flag alone would bring in sales, as those who bought the ship outside of the promotion duration might be enticed to spend extra to get the flag.