You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
dasCKD

Dealing with team damage

13 comments in this topic

dasCKD   

There is a lot to be said about team damage. War Gaming has made it clear that they would like to make it so that players are careful about what they do so they won't remove team damage altogether, but its persistence means that it's easy for oblivious players to seriously hurt their team's chances of winning by accidentally killing or severely damaging allies that are, statistically, superior to them and a higher benefit to their team alive. It's worse once the team damager incurs a pink status that removed not one but two players from the team roster, potentially with no enemy input. The enemy won't necessary be happy either, being robbed of the damage and kills they potentially could have received.

Admittedly, War Gaming has done many things to deal with team damage. It is one of the few things in the game that was ubiquitously well received by the community. The mechanic that hurts the person who has damaged their team and turned pink means that at least the worst offenders can only ruin the situation for their team in the worst way so many times. Even so, having a game ruined at all at no fault to the player whose game is being ruined is not good for the game. I therefore would like to suggest a mechanic that reflects ALL of the damage being caused by the team damager onto their own ship, as a percentage function of the damage that they would have done to the allied ship if they were an enemy ship. This has several benefits over the current system. Firstly, in fully punishes the griefers who hold back the damage they do to allied ships to slip underneath the current system's threshold. Secondly, it means that newer players will be receiving damage to their own unit from an action that is psychologically much simpler to comprehend, causing damage to themselves rather than the more abstract (albeit only slightly so) damaging the team's chances at winning. Thirdly, it means that those who really have done nothing wrong won't be punished for their actions. 

Profilus   

*Edited

Edited by Nohe21
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to promoting bad behavior in-game.

Bad idea.

First, the number of trolls would rise and instead of actively TKing, they would wait for the first opportunity to make unexpected turns and eat friendly torpedos on purpose, just to reflect that damage. And they wouldn't even be punished for it.

*Edited

Edited by Nohe21
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to promoting bad behavior in-game.

Lord_WC   
On 11/15/2017 at 0:57 PM, Commander_Cornflakes said:

they would wait for the first opportunity to make unexpected turns and eat friendly torpedos on purpose, just to reflect that damage

*Edited

Edited by Nohe21
  • Cool 1

I think I was pink once. But I was very, very drunk at the time and may be wrong.

Dealing with them?

I keep my distance and try to observe what the pinkie is doing. If normal gameplay, then "accidents can happen" and I do not think of it any more. But if pinkie shoots friendlies on purpose or sends silly fishies -> report and stay clear.

I don't think that the current system is inherently broken, we jut do not see the full picture. Only that small fragment that coexcists with our own game experience and what we thonk is happening.

Or something..

Capra76   
On 11/15/2017 at 1:14 PM, Lord_WC said:

*Edited

So you're deliberately sabotaging your game, his game and everybody else on your team's game for "entertainment".

What a guy.

Profilus   
2 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

So you're deliberately sabotaging your game, his game and everybody else on your team's game for "entertainment".

What a guy.

Its kinda tutorial for torp users.

15 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

What a guy.

If someone is pink and still firing torps that hit team mates, frankly they deserve no sympathy if the person they hit decides to let the flooding run long enough to sink them.

Capra76   
13 minutes ago, rvfharrier said:

If someone is pink and still firing torps that hit team mates, frankly they deserve no sympathy if the person they hit decides to let the flooding run long enough to sink them.

Turning into them and then letting the flooding tick, that's deliberate team killing, the lowest of the low.

Maybe the noob doesn't deserve sympathy, but the other 10 players on the team don't deserve to have their game wrecked so that the OP can giggle at seeing the damage reflected onto the other player.

Lord_WC   
On 11/15/2017 at 5:13 PM, Capra76 said:

What a guy.

*Edited

Also, it's so very easy to not be pink.

Edited by Nohe21
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to Off-Topic content.

Can't even manage to use the forums properly and still thinks it's justifiable to troll others for something he's got absolutely no clue about why it happened.

There's one thing if someone fires torpedoes where you're actually sailing, but if you're deliberately trying to catch torpedoes just to cause damage to your own team, you're about as constructive as players who announce locations of hidden ships in global chat (you know, one of the things that contributed to the removal of global chat in WoT), stream snipers, and other scum. That's the kind of player that should be permanently banned from the game.

Weel, I must admit I am currently quite deservedly pink myself. Committed an accidental teamkill with my Myoko's torps, when i fired them at 3 enemy ships approaching through the islands in the "Neighbors" map. It turns out there was our own Colorado steaming full speed (so NOT really fast) right into them at close range. I did not see him on time (or at all), as he was behind an island at the time of my firing the da*ned things and of course, since he was intent on ramming them or something he did not read the chat either. He ate most of them and the enemies only took 1.:Smile_facepalm:

I could have spotted him on time, if I had only checked the minimap or double-checked before launching but nope, so I deserve that one. A real bummer, since the game otherwise went rather well. Must be more careful next time... :Smile_sad:

I have no idea how the bloody h*ll I simply did not see a vessel the size of a Colorado from 6km's away... :Smile_amazed:

My victim was a good sport about it tho so thanks for that. :Smile_smile:

On 11/15/2017 at 0:57 PM, Commander_Cornflakes said:

*Edited

*Edited

Edited by Nohe21
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to promoting bad behavior in-game and inappropriate remarks.