You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Favuz

Izumo or FdG?

34 comments in this topic

Favuz   

Hello guys,

I recently unlocked both of those ships.

With my limited amounts of silver, i am able to afford only one of the two.

The one i'll not buy will be put on hold for a long time, as Fletcher and Neptune will come first.

I'd like an advice from experienced BB players on which one to buy.

Consider that i'll probably sold the tier IX when i'll unlock tier X, because with almost same MM i'll better drive yamato or Kurfurst, and because i kept both Bismarck and Amagi.

Another advice i'd like to ask

I'm currently sitting at nearly 300k free xp. Would you spend 100k for Izumo (or 50k for FdG) to buy and Mount straigth the top hulls?

CV are rare at high tiers, but  i don't want to be nuked from CV at the start of the match.

Thank you in advance

Welp, I stopped german BB line at Bismarck, not really interested on tiers 9 and 10, I dont want a brawler in a snipping meta.

I kinda enjoyed Izumo, everybody said it was awfull and for me it was average-good(ish)

So I would definitively go for Izumo because Yamato, just remember with Izumo  you only have 2 turrets, also the secondaries have awfull fire arcs and you want to be always facing your enemy so its not worthy a secondary spec, go for a tanky one. Also the AA is crap, even more considering the HE spam we have now. But the 6 guns are great, the other 3 are a paddlin. Izumo takes some time to adapt after Amagi but at the end its not a bad ship.

Spending free xp, it depends, do you buy it? Do you have flags or extra xp?  If you dont I would save it and just play the first win of the day equipping the best camos and flags, it might be painfull for 15-20 games but you will save a lot of grind in case you want one of the free xp ships.

• Cool 1

dasCKD   

They're both pretty terrible, but the Izumo is probably better just for the fact that her guns are a little better behaved. Be warned though, that thing is carrier bait. Not that the FDG isn't when you're up against Taihos and Essexes.

Well there are some free xp premium(s) coming up - HMS Duke of York (confirmed 375000 free xp) or maybe Musashi (not sure)

If i were you, I'd save the free xp for those ships instead of spending on mainline ships

If you really want to spend on either FDG or Yamato, personally I'd go for FDG because I like the GK more than Yamato

They both have different play style

GK has the best armor and much "tankier" than Yamato imo, Yamato has huge citadel above waterline ... broadside to another BB at close range = 100% death

Yamato has the most accurate BB guns 2.1 sigma as I remember it right and 460mm shells hurt a lot and don't know the definition of angling

• Cool 1

Taliesn   

FdG all the way. Izumo is a horror show. I would be tempted to freeXP my way out of it if not for the FreeXP premium ships coming soonTM 

FdG is much more confortable to play at tier IX than Izumo is, IMO.

Free XP-ed Izumo after a few battles, free XP-ed FdG after some dozens. FdG is more forgiving.

Go for the t10 which you would like to sai, as both t9 are horror show. 

meyos90   

Depends on your playstyle i guess.

While i only played the Izumo and Yamato the german ships have similar stats so i do believe they are balanced.

If that's the case then it depends on what ship you like the most.

Hint: Do you like the Amagi or the Bismarck more? You should probably continue with whatever line you like the most...

quickr   

I have both and I would suggest non of them, waste of credits. Tier for tier bismrack and amagi are much better and enjoyable to play. 

Well if you wanna save up free XP i would say FdG, it requires only hull upgrade. Its bit of an odd duck and guns want to make you cry, but i stuck with 2ndary build and started to enjoy it at the end.

Im waiting to buy Izumo soon as i get Yamamoto ( 20k xp left on final task ) and i will free XP the hulls to ease the stock grind.

Lord_WC   

With FDG I couldn't hit a broadsiding Zao on 11km due to dispersion.

Twice.

Very annoying ship to play.

• Cool 1

Never played the FdG, generally got bored of BB game play a handful of battles into the Bismarck, but I did play the Izumo and found it to be a painful ship to play yet one that delivered surprisingly good results. Izumo is a ship that needs a lot of support, being a huge lumbering target with a fully IFHE-able deck and having very little in the way of AA, but is probably the best of the T9 BBs for angling duels against its T9 BB peers due to its tiny superstructure (if that's even an advantage anymore since RN flamethrowers came out!). At the end of the day they're both T9 BBs and as such they're both very powerful ships regardless of their many flaws.

Unlike the T10 you won't be stuck with the T9 forever if you don't want to keep it, so I'd say to ask yourself which of the T10 BBs you want more. Play the T9 that will get you there. I doubt either of them will be ships you'll stick with when the Missouri, and perhaps soon the Musashi, are probably better keepers.

I have both and I definitely recommend the Izumo. Friedrich is just horrible.

About Free Exp: Yes, spending them on unlocking the hulls of a new ship is not a bad idea. If you don't need any of those Free-Exp-Premium-Ships, do it.

• Cool 1

Favuz   

Thank you all for the feedback.

I think i'll buy Izumo then.

I both like Amagi and Bismarck in different ways, but overall in a BB i prefer good guns rather than good survivability. Tankiness can be achieved also with good positioning, angling and Damage management, while if you have wonky guns you can't do much about it.

Bismarck is great fun when top tier while in a tier X match you can't use much great secondaries. WIth Fdg and Kurfurst it should be even worse.

Now i only have to wait for a 15% discount, i'm still a cheap peasant after all :Smile_trollface:

As for the freeXP, i'm not too interested in Nelson or Duke of York (i don't play british BB yet). My long term goal is Missouri for credit Printing, but it's a long way and IMHO there's no better way to use freeXP than to unlock upgrades on tier 7+ ships, where playing in coop is not economically feasible

I have a ton of Equal Speed Charlie London and camo with +50/+100% XP, i could use them to get the top hull faster and save freeXP, we'll see.

lameoll   
3 hours ago, dasCKD said:

hey're both pretty terrible, but the Izumo is probably better just for the fact that her guns are a little better behaved

not all the way true. the izumo guns are accurate so you can punish ships with it hard but the fact you have all the armor on the front and you CAN not deal with ifhe or RN bb fire makes it pretty useless these days.

the FDG has bad accuracy then again but if u go for a tanky build then u can take a lot of punnishment. 

tank276   
4 hours ago, Favuz said:

Hello guys,

I recently unlocked both of those ships.

With my limited amounts of silver, i am able to afford only one of the two.

The one i'll not buy will be put on hold for a long time, as Fletcher and Neptune will come first.

I'd like an advice from experienced BB players on which one to buy.

Consider that i'll probably sold the tier IX when i'll unlock tier X, because with almost same MM i'll better drive yamato or Kurfurst, and because i kept both Bismarck and Amagi.

Another advice i'd like to ask

I'm currently sitting at nearly 300k free xp. Would you spend 100k for Izumo (or 50k for FdG) to buy and Mount straigth the top hulls?

CV are rare at high tiers, but  i don't want to be nuked from CV at the start of the match.

Thank you in advance

My vote goes to Friedrich, though my WR on it is far from good.

To give you an idea , the Izumo is the first (and only) tier 9 I free xped and immediately sold. :Smile_hiding:

The friedrich is not a bad brawler at all, at close ranges its inaccuracy doesnt matter, if you play it right you will tank damage for your team mates like a sponge but you will hit back.

The Izumo does have accurate guns to be fair but thats pretty much all that is good about her.

As for the free xp, and in addition to your account being credit starved, save it to buy either the Missouri or the upcoming Mushashi.

Cheers

Taliesn   
3 hours ago, Lord_WC said:

With FDG I couldn't hit a broadsiding Zao on 11km due to dispersion.

Twice.

Very annoying ship to play.

Train the secondaries on Zao and shoot a big BB instead. Sorted. :Smile_teethhappy:

I seem to have problems myself hitting with Izumo's guns for some reason. Right there with Bismark's my worst hit % among tier VIII-X BBs. And her turret traverse is awful. 

El2aZeR   

I hated playing Izumo so much I originally put my grind of the IJN BB line on hold.

Though in the end I just skipped her with free exp to prove something to a scrub on the forums.

FdG on the other hand was a cakewalk to play.

Lets just say I would rather be in my Bismarck than my FDG in a tier 10 game...

Not got the Izumo yet but it's probably just like the German Line Worse than the tier 8...

Corvi   

Izumo is the better ship. FdG is good for "trololo rushing guns blazing", but then mostly you die pretty fast too. In late game its lethal, but to get there you gotta survive long enough and you wont hit much with its super bad accuracy. Izumo on the other hand has extremely powerful guns, can bowtank very well, has usable secondaries and is very manouverable on top.

Id take Izumo over FdG any day

• Cool 1

Ferry_25   
8 hours ago, Migulaitor said:

Welp, I stopped german BB line at Bismarck, not really interested on tiers 9 and 10, I dont want a brawler in a snipping meta.

Parallel on topic and might help OP decide: I specced Freddy and Kurry both full secondary. Believe me they work like a charm in brawling. Tried Flamu's tank build on Kurry first but it was 1 utter disaster so I picked up the brawling close combat secondary style and immediately the ship started to function again. When getting low on health those secondaries go absolutely berserk. Only sacrificed secondary batt mod 3 for main batt 3. That's mainly because of CW. Since that's more sniping oriented IMO.

On topic: I'm an "off player" for Yamato. Can't make it to function. In a nutshell: shoot, focused, deleted. That's my main experience in it. I'd take Kurfurst over Yama.

I havent played the FdG. The Izumo is strong once fully upgraded and when supported by cruisers with AA. The guns are quite accurate, and they hit hard. Angled and without risk of torps from the side, you can take on almost anything, but more mobile games mean you cant reliably angle against everything. 

HE spam is also a huge issue in the Izumo, as your armour gets overmatched all over by IFHE 152’s and 203’s. You will truly learn to hate Kutuzov’s :cap_wander_2:

Both are good ships with distinctive strengths and weaknesses. Both are nothing like their predecessors and they are pretty similar to the tier 10.

Izumo and Yamato are strong at mid-long range, you don't want to push into close range against other BBs (Not talking about >20km, more like 8-13km.). Both have very vulnerable broadsides, you have to know how to angle. Yamato's guns are legendary.

FDG and GK like to stay on the move all the time. They have terrible accuracy which is very annoying @FDG (8 guns) and mildly irritating @GK (12 guns). If you know when to disengage you can push in hard, retreat in time for repairs and go for another run. The hydro and turtleback armor allows for pushing in alone (it's always better to push with others but at least you have this option if you have to make a play). These ships are more about tanking, flanking and breaking through, the guns are ok.

Tier IX is only there to lead to tier X. Personally had both, and despite i didnt like izumo would go for it. It leads to Yamato, and is better camper than germans. Tier X in BBs is unfortunately about camping. Yes we all dont like it but thats the truth. Deal with it. If you want to get close get a DD.

I had FdG, Basically oversized bismarck. Nothing remarkable. Sold it when unlocked GK. Played 6 battles, while trying to brawl. Didnt end well. Pathetic gun angles on both back turrets. Had to give a lot of my long broadside to not limit firepower by half. Ate a ton of damage. Sold GK after 6 matches. Lost about 10kk silver. Not happy.

Izumo is not too good. also squishy but better to have 2/3 of guns than 1/2. Requires some work but can be fun and leads to Yamato. Yamato doesnt need advertising.