Mydgard

What do you use on your BBs?

What do you use on your BBs?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which upgrades do you use from these?

• Damage Control System Modification 2?
    • Steering Gears Modification 2?

13 comments in this topic

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,367 battles

What ship, nation?

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

If I can knock the rudder down to a 12s turn then I'll take rudder shift. For Bismarck and T10 fatties I'll take Dmg Con 2 as everyone will spam you. 

Players
100 posts
12,849 battles

Depends on nation and Tiers. On ships that i get He spammed a lot (GK/Yamato/Izumo) where its also possible to go for endurance build i like to stack it with damage control. Some ships though that you can evade torps or are agile enough i might go for ruddershift (Nagato / Amagi / NC / Iowa) because i can bait the shells on the belt (and angle enough by the time they reach)

[-GBF-]
Players
763 posts
3,193 battles
On 14/11/2017 at 7:10 AM, Guillotine said:

Depends on nation i play, big clunky vessels like Großße Kürfurst i use steering gears.

my GK has the damage contol mod :D works well for clan wars. all my other BB's though have the steering gear mod.

[POI--]
Players
5,894 posts
7,229 battles

I'm considering Steering gear for ships like FdG when I unlock it, but I do fear I'll stay with damage control. Just because even in my KM battleships, where I get closest to the enemy, I find that this exposure results more in HE spam than in getting torpedoed and when I do fear a DD is close, there's hydro, which makes quick maneuvers less of a necessity. With Damecon mod 2, the anti-fire flag and BoS, fire duration is quite manageable, because getting put on fire happens so often. In any other nation I'd likely be even less likely to take Steering gear, because I have even less reason to make quick turns.

Also, because the only time I have issues avoiding torpedos in my battleship is when I'm way too careless or if I get rushed (doesn't happen often). In neither case steering is of great help by then. Dodging salvos is hardly something that is going to happen in battleships. Meanwhile, getting set on fire is inevitable even for the best of BB players, so reducing the duration of fires helps to be able to let that 1 fire burn without having to worry. And it might save your life, if it allows a fire or flood to run out earlier (the sole reason I run BoS over SI on my Bismarck, but I think people who are more skilled should take SI. I just cannot afford respeccing and I typically either am fine or I have survival issues that even a fifth heal wouldn't fix).

One BB that I'd definitely take Steering gears over Damecon though would be Duke of York, because even if fires hurt the ship more than the typical BB, at 30 seconds base fire duration being able to have greater maneuverability for dodging might just be more worthwhile than the few seconds of fire damage saved. Everything hurts more without a heal.

[IRON7]
Players
230 posts
1,182 battles

Damage control.

Because I doubt the small improvement in rudder shift would help dodging torps if you don't already expect them.

And with the current HE spam meta, anything that helps against fires is welcome imo.

[TAW]
Players
21 posts
2,964 battles

I'm a little tunnel-vision on this one. I always use the steering mod because I hate torps more than I do fires. 

It also means I focus more on positioning. If you're in the wrong position, or unable to re-position quickly enough in a BB, then you get nailed regardless. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

It really does depend on the ship.

Like for Hood and Nelson I use DmgCon2 but for Missouri I use Rudder as otherwise the thing will never move. FP goes some way into fighting fires, I guess stacked with DmgCon2 if you really hate being crispy.

[BGNAV]
Players
183 posts
6,572 battles

GK - Tried full secondary + IFHE build, then tried secondaries + endurance build. Both are usable, but I find good positioning + IFHE more useful. When I get HE spammed, I just take cover near an island close to the main action. This way I exchange shots with one target while being safe from the other enemy ships. Bow-on BBs are a pain without IFHE, but with it they melt quite fast when they enter the secondary range. Overall - endurance build is safer while IFHE build is more rewarding but a lot tougher to play. Concealment instead of IFHE is also useful for getting closer to the enemies but will make you sweat vs bow-tanking BBs.

Montana - Endurance build for CW and endurance + concealment OR AA + concealment build for random battles. I still stick with AA, but most of the time it is useless and I cannot in good conscience advise you to do that. Stick with endurance and stealth. The ship is really tanky vs AP when angled and will survive a fair amount of HE spam (and even torps).

Yamato - I abandoned the secondary build for endurance + stealth. The secondaries on the Yama are no joke, but the overall damage they do is next to nothing compared to what you can do if you can survive longer and have better concealment to hide when maneuvering or between shots. Another thing to note is that the lolpen guns make the enemies focus you a lot more.

Conqueror - I went AA + concealment on that one. AA is not that useful most of the time, but I did not want to spend more points on getting secondaries as I would not really want this ship too close to the enemy. Enduring more fire damage is next to useless as this is the type of damage you can heal 100%. Best played at mid-range, just outside of your concealment circle (between 12-13km). This way you will hit most of your shots but will be able to hide between salvos. The AA build will help with those pesky planes spotting you when you least expect it.

On all my BBs I use Steering Gears Modification 2 (rudder shift),  Concealment System Modification 1 (detectability), and Damage Control System Modification 1 (fire and flooding). I use accuracy on Yama and Monty, reload on Yama, GK and Conqueror (if memory serves right). The rest I don't recall on the spot, but for secondary/AA builds I tend to go with secondary range and health. For the Conqueror I remember I used the main armament health module as its turrets have molten butter as armor. 

EDIT: As usual my post contains a lot more information (possibly mostly useless) instead of a straight answer :D