Sign in to follow this  
novocain3

Concealment value useless?

5 comments in this topic

[FSK18]
Players
20 posts
5,606 battles

Today again this is what happened: sitting in my Z-46 with a concealment rating of 94. Matched against a Fletcher with a concealment rating of 91. got outspotted by Fletcher - my 6th sense showed up just 2 seconds before the enemy DD was spotted.

1st question: the concealment value at the loading screen seems to be useless if I assume a Fletcher has a better surface detection range than a Z-46 (Fletcher 7.38km, Z-46 7.56km)?

2nd question: if the concealment value at battle loading screen is correct, and i my concealment was just better (due to skills, camo, equipment), why did I get spotted first?

3rd question: if the 2nd assumption is correct and my concealment actually is better than the Fletcher's, but i did get spotted first as I experienced it, wouldnt that be a reason for increasing the server tickrate or maybe do something against possible ping issues?

Since my connection runs rock stable and my ping is smooth and fine in every session I Play, i can only imagine these 3 possibilities: I played against highping laggers. The server tickrate was too slow to correctly transmit the right commands. The Concealment value is worthless.

[CATS]
Players
14,751 posts
10,885 battles

Look at the value, not the rating.

Ratings are useless, only the distances count. That should be obvious.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,083 posts
6,718 battles

The rating in the MM doesn't count the enemy ship's captain skills.

So if they have CE, you won't know it.

And as said above : look at the concealment value, not the rating... that should be obvious.

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

Concealment value is not useless. Well, at least the value itself. The 'rating' is completely useless. It is useless for ALL stats. What isn't useless are the values you can see when you open the stats and look at the values itself.

As for the Fletcher. With full concealment build you can get the Fletcher down to 5.8km detection. The Z46 you can get down to 5.9km detection. This should theoretically mean that the Fletcher will spot the Z46 before the Z46 spots the Fletcher. Now, the distance is small enough that that doesn't really matter. HOWEVER!

There is another mechanic that comes into play. There is a slight delay between 'spotting' and 'seeing'. When you enter the detection range of another ship, he will get 'spotted'. His 'spotted' skill will light up. BUT he won't actually render in yet for the other players on the map. Because there is a few seconds delay build in that.

So if 2 Fletchers with the same build are sailing towards each other, they will be 'detected' from 5,8km distance. BUT each will render in for the other at much less range because of the distance travelled between 'spotted' and 'being rendered'. The delay is there apparently so fast pc's don't get a leg up over people with slow pc's.

Hope that helps.

[-I-N-]
[-I-N-]
Players
697 posts
12,481 battles
4 hours ago, ShinGetsu said:

The rating in the MM doesn't count the enemy ship's captain skills.

So if they have CE, you won't know it.

Yes it does, but only when you mouseover after you and the other ship have finished loading for the match.

Sign in to follow this