You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Loul_60

American CV Change

15 comments in this topic

[EX-TH]
Players
6 posts
2,647 battles

I think all of the changes to the squadron configuration to the American Carriers is nothing. What I think they need (and this is a recommendation to WG if they read this) is that the American CVs get changes to their fighters. I am a reasonably good carrier player and am at the Lexington in the US CV Tree, and, I have had about 1 or 2 games where I am top tier/not in a tier 10 game out of the dozens I have played. I think though, not only do carriers planes in general need HP buffs, but the American Carriers  need changes to their fighters, in the sense that the 'about-to-be-implemented' changes will balance NON PREMIUM American CV vs CV because there will be no more 202 layouts, but against Japanese carriers and the ENTERPRISE ESCPECIALLY, the Lexington (mainly) is crap.

I would suggest that the only configuration is 211 for Ranger and Lexington, as those 2 are the ones that need buffing the most. But, rather than having 6 fighters per squadron, it gets reduced to 5 or even 4 in the extreme. But i would rather have 2 fighter squadrons rather than 1 (respectively). To put it into practice, Lets say 111 Ranger vs 222 Hiriyu, and breaking it down, (with the 'Air Supremacy' skill) the Ranger would have 7 fighters in 1 squadron compared to the Hiriyu's 10 split into 2 squadrons, which makes the Hiriyu not only able to be more mobile with their fighter squadrons (use 1 to engage Ranger's fighters and the other to combat the Ranger's strike aircraft) but will also have an advantage in numbers! And don't even get started on strike power, once again, the Ranger has 6 torpedo bombers and they Hiriyu has 8, the Ranger has 7 Dive Bombers and the Hiriyu has 10. Do you see where I am going here.

It is the same with Lexington and Shokaku. Just Lexington has an advantage in the LEAST useful aircraft type, Dive Bombers (112 with 14 Dive Bombers in total, compared to Shokaku's 222 with 10 Dive Bombers in total). It is all very unfair, it gets even worse with the Enterprise, even though her aircraft are only tier 7, with air  supremacy she can get 12 fighters split into 2 squadrons. Which is even less balanced. The Ranger and Lexington are just WORSE, FULL STOP.! They have no big advantage over any of their opposition carriers, and I hope this gets looked into and sorted, because right now I want to sell my Lexington. But, maybe it is all part of Wargaming's master plan to get people to spend money on doubloons to either get free exp and skip to the Essex or to buy the Saipan or Enterprise...

We will never know (as of the near future :P)

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,671 battles

The way I see it, USN CVs are easier to play but have a low skill ceiling. As in an IJN captain who is your equal in skill will squish you.

The changes don't appear to do anything to change that but I'll wait for the release for final judgement.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,985 battles

So you want USN carriers to be IJN carriers?

You do realize that the higher tier USN CVs will get AP bombs so that having two DB squads will be more useful.

Players
579 posts
5,014 battles

The removale of Sky Cancer AS Setups will be a benefit for every CV player:

1. It stops AS Players playing AS and loosing the game with the setup for theire team. They will become better players by just playing a usefull setup.

2. It prevent hell as boring games for any CV facing an AS CV today. You know you will win the 1vs1 but its quite boring because you can only do 50% of what you do normaly. (Okay while the AS CV is doing nothing ...)

Seriously: The only question with a AS is - Are you good enough to make the enemy CV useless - making game 11 vs 11 - most of the games that wont work. And the AS CV is useless from the very first second vs. the other 11 ships.

The only "working AS" today are the JPN hightier ones and the midways. But really AS Rangers? or Lexis? or Essex? 

[FAM]
Alpha Tester
2,435 posts
7,140 battles

We've reached a point where tge interaction bettwen IJN and USN fighter squads is a whole mess. Because the differences in fighters per squad is so big and because the strafe mechanic, which was supposed to help making the air control game more skill based, has skewed the balance so much toward IJM carriers (among other things).

Then you've got the dillemma of actually trying to differentiate the 2 carrier line which is the reason of the differences. Nobody wants to have 2 versions of the same for both lines. 

Just out of my head right now a possible solution would be making impossible for an squad locked by USN fighters to strafe out. This wouldn't apply to Saipan because we don't want Saipan to be buffed even more. Also wouldn't apply to Midway's double squads.

Players
187 posts
18 hours ago, Nechrom said:

So you want USN carriers to be IJN carriers?

You do realize that the higher tier USN CVs will get AP bombs so that having two DB squads will be more useful.

This could be good, but what skill do you use to replace Torpedo Armament Expertise on your carrier? As far as I know this is only useful with torpedo planes. Will they have a skill for Dive Bombers (i.e. AP bombs)?

Beta Tester
2,348 posts
8 hours ago, gravelbelly said:

This could be good, but what skill do you use to replace Torpedo Armament Expertise on your carrier? As far as I know this is only useful with torpedo planes. Will they have a skill for Dive Bombers (i.e. AP bombs)?

There is AS which give you 1 extra bomber per squad

[EX-TH]
Players
6 posts
2,647 battles
On 14/11/2017 at 8:27 PM, gravelbelly said:

I replace TAE with 'Emergency Takeoff', which allows aircraft to take off while on fire, however the planes take 100% longer to service. 

Quality Poster
3,365 posts
8,384 battles

I guess he want's to point out that this skill is ... questionable to put it mildly.

That even I know and I'm not the best CV player out there.

Greetings

[EX-TH]
Players
6 posts
2,647 battles
On 3/24/2018 at 6:05 PM, Allied_Winter said:

@Loul_60 I just found this piece of advice from Farazelleth again:

ZlcqubH.jpg

Think about that.

Greetings

@Allied_WinterI do agree quite largely with farazelleth in that regard. I only use Emergency Takeoff on US CVs  anyway. I do not think that BFT is good though, while the 20% extra DPS to AA is good, I think ET or TAE are probably better.