OOAndreasOO

Still play carrier over tier 7?

26 comments in this topic

[-BSG-]
Players
276 posts
32,210 battles

Why?

To see all your planes shot down by absurd AA of CAs and BBs?

Pay a lot of silvers each battle even if you win?

Tell me why play carrier over tier 7

[QTANG]
Players
1,171 posts
18,688 battles

Because it's fun ?

Also, the t9 and t10 (IJN) cvs are regarded as very very powerful for a good reason.

Shokaku is very good too but suffers from the current t8 mm.

[-KT-]
Players
311 posts
8,552 battles
14 minutes ago, OOAndreasOO said:

Why?

To see all your planes shot down by absurd AA of CAs and BBs?

Pay a lot of silvers each battle even if you win?

Tell me why play carrier over tier 7

I agree with you and was going to make a post about it.

The last 10-15 games and I crap you not I have been ending up in TX games constantly when playing Shokaku. Of course I have actually been pestering the Curries and what I can just to at least get some dmg but sometimes even that is not always possible if they cramp up together like a pack of sheeps.

It seems to me like WG is giving the middle finger to whomever plays CV nowadays in higher tiers. (If you are so good Mr CV, here have some extra challenge). If that is not enough alot of the new ships that come out have stronger AA and we did even see Def AA on a BB this year, (Why am I not surprised). The so called "Year of the CV"

Players
2,070 posts
10,955 battles

So far on tier 9 for both CV lines and I rarely lost money. Less can be said for my FDG, although watching my secondaries hit counter jump is intensely satisfying.

I apologize but I think you have to go watch more vids on CV gameplay and improve. While AA is an issue here and there, it's not that bad that it would result in the amount of damage you're doing.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,878 posts
16,974 battles

I literally only play CVs T8+ nowadays and have no problems whatsoever with both tier spread and income.

[DUSD]
Players
368 posts
6,571 battles

I checked your stats. 51 games in Essex with avg damage of 26k? 

I could suggest to stay at lower tiers, learn more and then proceed back. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

I'm finding T9 CVs are harder to play than T8 ones as there is even more insane AA on the table and there is a higher chance the other CV is good. Also the extra squadron with Taiho hurts my little mind :Smile-_tongue:

[DUSD]
Players
368 posts
6,571 battles

This is actually intresting thing and I've thought about it few times.

Basically T4-6 are grind based tiers. Naturally T4 (and 5) have total noobs in them but there is also very few AA and also strafing / manual dropping is considered "seal clubbing" aka banned. At T6 AA starts to rise and for some players full AA spec Cleveland might be a nasty surprice. After all you dont have that much replacement if you lose whole strikeforce.

T7-8 are a mish-mash. T5-7 you can have 2CV clusterf*ck battles, T7 and T8 have many premium carriers in play and that shifts things. Without spying stats you dont know how good enemy CV is before you notice it yourself. And with premium CVs player can be anything. There can be a sealclubbing unicum making credits or in other side walletwarrior in his first CV game ever. And that makes it difficult to predict and it also shifts whole teams balance a lot. Getting Unicum CV against newbie with capable CV (like Kaga or Saipan) it really shifts the game over. You notice this with any other shipclass when such thing happens...

At T9 you only meet people that have grinded CVs all the way there. At least no virgins there. Still I have to wonder the variety of players at T9. I've seen players with ++900 games in their CV, PR under 500, avg damage and such abysmal and they have no idea how to actually play CVs. Point and click, mass planes into huge easily strafed cluster... Sometimes it works, most cases it doesnt. This is something I personally call headbanging instead of enjoyable gameplay. I find the CVs clearly hardest, most demanding and intense class to play. There is so much things to consider. Actually this is why I stopped at T7 with IJN CVs - at least for now. There was just too much things at once and I felt I cant get the potential out of the ship. I know IJN CVs have way higher potential with their servicetimes and so on but its a huge challenge to get that potential out of them. You very easily forget to lauch planes, forget fighters hovering and enemy AA or fighters strife them of the sky and so on... Its not easy even with USN. Essex still has 5 squads to manage at T9, only one less than Hiryu has at T7.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
1 minute ago, LongJohn_ said:

This is actually intresting thing and I've thought about it few times.

Basically T4-6 are grind based tiers. Naturally T4 (and 5) have total noobs in them but there is also very few AA and also strafing / manual dropping is considered "seal clubbing" aka banned. At T6 AA starts to rise and for some players full AA spec Cleveland might be a nasty surprice. After all you dont have that much replacement if you lose whole strikeforce.

T7-8 are a mish-mash. T5-7 you can have 2CV clusterf*ck battles, T7 and T8 have many premium carriers in play and that shifts things. Without spying stats you dont know how good enemy CV is before you notice it yourself. And with premium CVs player can be anything. There can be a sealclubbing unicum making credits or in other side walletwarrior in his first CV game ever. And that makes it difficult to predict and it also shifts whole teams balance a lot. Getting Unicum CV against newbie with capable CV (like Kaga or Saipan) it really shifts the game over. You notice this with any other shipclass when such thing happens...

At T9 you only meet people that have grinded CVs all the way there. At least no virgins there. Still I have to wonder the variety of players at T9. I've seen players with ++900 games in their CV, PR under 500, avg damage and such abysmal and they have no idea how to actually play CVs. Point and click, mass planes into huge easily strafed cluster... Sometimes it works, most cases it doesnt. This is something I personally call headbanging instead of enjoyable gameplay. I find the CVs clearly hardest, most demanding and intense class to play. There is so much things to consider. Actually this is why I stopped at T7 with IJN CVs - at least for now. There was just too much things at once and I felt I cant get the potential out of the ship. I know IJN CVs have way higher potential with their servicetimes and so on but its a huge challenge to get that potential out of them. You very easily forget to lauch planes, forget fighters hovering and enemy AA or fighters strife them of the sky and so on... Its not easy even with USN. Essex still has 5 squads to manage at T9, only one less than Hiryu has at T7.

From my limited T9 play so far, even players I'm vs who I'd class as good (able to bomb, strafe and look after their planes) will make mistakes due to the sheer amount of squadrons on the table.

T8 is still ok because a lot of potatoes buy Prem ships or have just grinded there. T9 is a far more exclusive club, have still to meet any noob CVs up there...

T7 with Saipan or Hiryu is a blast however. I don't find Kaga playable vs anyone who knows what they are doing with fighters as your own T6 ones are simply so weak.

[DUSD]
Players
368 posts
6,571 battles

But then again teams themselves are very different. You expect some rational teamplay at higher tiers - more experienced players. But you still stumble into total disasters time to time but I think its rarer than its at lower tiers and this can be frustrating. Even if you know you can carry but in a CV you need time to do that and if your team just crumbles around you in minutes there isn't much you can do.

Cure for this is pretty much take it easy - its only a game thinking.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
4 minutes ago, LongJohn_ said:

But then again teams themselves are very different. You expect some rational teamplay at higher tiers - more experienced players. But you still stumble into total disasters time to time but I think its rarer than its at lower tiers and this can be frustrating. Even if you know you can carry but in a CV you need time to do that and if your team just crumbles around you in minutes there isn't much you can do.

Cure for this is pretty much take it easy - its only a game thinking.

The huge amount of AA at higher tiers means you can simply lose before the enemy thins out or starts splitting up yeah... My favourite is being blamed for no AA cover when I've got 2 groups of fighters and people aren't sticking together.

[DUSD]
Players
368 posts
6,571 battles
1 minute ago, Negativvv said:

From my limited T9 play so far, even players I'm vs who I'd class as good (able to bomb, strafe and look after their planes) will make mistakes due to the sheer amount of squadrons on the table.

T8 is still ok because a lot of potatoes buy Prem ships or have just grinded there. T9 is a far more exclusive club, have still to meet any noob CVs up there...

T7 with Saipan or Hiryu is a blast however. I don't find Kaga playable vs anyone who knows what they are doing with fighters as your own T6 ones are simply so weak.

Yep. People do mistakes even at T9. You can send whole pile of ships somewhere, concentrate just a while to do something else - whiting something in chat for the team, fighterbattle, DD spotting etc and before you know it enemy fighters have catched up your strikeforce and 80% of them are gone.

Premium noobs aka wallet warriors can be funny. I had one battle in my previous Lexington. Strike loadout, enemy had Shokaku if I remember correctly. Absolutely no idea how to use fighters. I could do my strikes right around his fighters without any problems and like you know strike Lex unchecked is a menace... But if I remember correctly we still managed to lose it when their DD sneaked into our base and capped. S*it happens.

As for the thread itself. I'd suggest to Andreas: buy yourself T6 CV that suits your style. Either Ruyjo or Independence - depending on how you want to manage your planes. And then just game on. All manual drops, learn strafing carefully and so on. T6 is the first tier that allows these and these skills are vital at upper tiers. Just wont do well without.

[DUSD]
Players
368 posts
6,571 battles
Just now, Negativvv said:

The huge amount of AA at higher tiers means you can simply lose before the enemy thins out or starts splitting up yeah... My favourite is being blamed for no AA cover when I've got 2 groups of fighters and people aren't sticking together.

Thats normal. With strike Essex and one fighter squad you can only do little. Of cource there is fierce complaining about the "selfish" loadout but I dont care. I can use the fighters to cover my strikes and cover some of the main friedly navy. Not all of them. I think you need the full AS loadout to really do that. So that the enemy cant even get local superiority and strike trough if you spread your fighters over the map and try to cover it all.

Of cource there are different maps. Is it Neighbours or something. Tiny map at T9, heck it was tiny even at T8. Lexington with 18,1km stock detection range, harsh...

And naturally its much easier to control to sky if own team is clustered. In such cases AA is also stronger and I get worse game myself. But in many of those cases clustered enemy team also means their entire team isnt doing great and we can win as a team.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
52 minutes ago, LongJohn_ said:

Thats normal. With strike Essex and one fighter squad you can only do little. Of cource there is fierce complaining about the "selfish" loadout but I dont care. I can use the fighters to cover my strikes and cover some of the main friedly navy. Not all of them. I think you need the full AS loadout to really do that. So that the enemy cant even get local superiority and strike trough if you spread your fighters over the map and try to cover it all.

Of cource there are different maps. Is it Neighbours or something. Tiny map at T9, heck it was tiny even at T8. Lexington with 18,1km stock detection range, harsh...

And naturally its much easier to control to sky if own team is clustered. In such cases AA is also stronger and I get worse game myself. But in many of those cases clustered enemy team also means their entire team isnt doing great and we can win as a team.

There isn't really such a thing as total air supremacy even with x2 fighters. Strike Essex isn't selfish as you've got a sledgehammer T9 Fighter group. It's Lex that I see as selfish in terms of strike.

57 minutes ago, LongJohn_ said:

As for the thread itself. I'd suggest to Andreas: buy yourself T6 CV that suits your style. Either Ruyjo or Independence - depending on how you want to manage your planes. And then just game on. All manual drops, learn strafing carefully and so on. T6 is the first tier that allows these and these skills are vital at upper tiers. Just wont do well without.

I'll recommend going Hiryu as he'll be top tier more often and Hiryu actually has reserves so one mistake doesn't mean you're done for that game.

[DUSD]
Players
368 posts
6,571 battles
6 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

There isn't really such a thing as total air supremacy even with x2 fighters. Strike Essex isn't selfish as you've got a sledgehammer T9 Fighter group. It's Lex that I see as selfish in terms of strike.

I'll recommend going Hiryu as he'll be top tier more often and Hiryu actually has reserves so one mistake doesn't mean you're done for that game.

Not with two but three 7 plane fighter setup. The Essex AS loadout. 3-0-2. That can control the sky pretty effectively if player knows what to do. Run into them time to time. I havent even research that one, waste of xp. 

At tier 7 Hiryu or with different playstyle Ranger. 1-1-1 loadout works, its much easier to manage compared to Hiryu and has good replacements. 

But overall its a double edge sword. You get more replacements and even at 2CV game you are always top tier. But you also meet up to T9s with their AA and T7 also has plenty of premiums around. Some of them are walletwarrior noobs but some are also unicums crashing credits and thats harsh learning experience. 

[_KTM_]
Beta Tester
109 posts
8,365 battles

Hay, 
While idk what to blable about , i feel like joining this discussion .
So i've been playing carriers with hit and miss , took me around 1.5 years to get to the Essex (mostly cuz i rarely play CV ) , and i have to say it's pretty damn hard to play ( while i've been getting to terms with her lately ).

Currently i'm trying to play 2-3 CV matches a day , and i always pray to RNGeesus i face a weaker player than myself while playing Essex , after i got a traumatizing Fisting by the top EU CV player by stats , like i couldn't take 1 plane from him :Smile_child:, while i still managed to do ~ 80k dmg and a Devastating , but boy i felt so bad for the team since it was quite good and the only reason we lost was my sheer incompetence .
Taiho in competent hands is my bane so far , Essex as adversary is hit and miss but i can say i'm able to handle it no matter the loadout he uses .

On the IJN side i'm at Hiryu atm , and while i dream of myself owning a Taiho some day , there is a really big issue if i'm past the 6 key on the keyboard ... things don't go well . While i played Taiho on PTS a few times , and i did have really spectacular results ( mostly cuz noob opposition ), but those 7 squads man ... i can keep them under control for a while but if i lose it ( 1-2 mistakes ) everything goes to crap :( :cap_fainting: .

Ryujo was a blast tho , Hiryu i'm strugling a bit mostly cuz that god damn 7 key :fish_boom: .

But i have no plans on getting the Hakuryu , i'll leave Midway as my tr 10 CV when i'll eventually get it , but looking at the future changes ... 6 squads  :cap_wander_2: ... well [edited]me sideways .

Please excuse the occasional curse word and my poor English . 

Forgot to add smth

Spoiler

Balans Comrade shot-17_11_12_18_12.39-0540.thumb.jpg.7bb0dff872d47f2ce59c3aa9b256484a.jpg

[-KT-]
Players
311 posts
8,552 battles
2 hours ago, LongJohn_ said:

Not with two but three 7 plane fighter setup. The Essex AS loadout. 3-0-2. That can control the sky pretty effectively if player knows what to do. Run into them time to time. I havent even research that one, waste of xp. 

At tier 7 Hiryu or with different playstyle Ranger. 1-1-1 loadout works, its much easier to manage compared to Hiryu and has good replacements. 

But overall its a double edge sword. You get more replacements and even at 2CV game you are always top tier. But you also meet up to T9s with their AA and T7 also has plenty of premiums around. Some of them are walletwarrior noobs but some are also unicums crashing credits and thats harsh learning experience. 

If a player knows what to do he will never ever use AS setup in the first place. You don´t ever need to use cancer setup 3-0-2 on Essex. 2-1-1 is just fine enough. Still I see complete bobs using the figther setups on both Taiho and Essex all the way up to T10. Then they probably use them there as well. How fun it must for them to do a lot of damage (NOT).

[DUSD]
Players
368 posts
6,571 battles
3 hours ago, Aschwell said:

If a player knows what to do he will never ever use AS setup in the first place. You don´t ever need to use cancer setup 3-0-2 on Essex. 2-1-1 is just fine enough. Still I see complete bobs using the figther setups on both Taiho and Essex all the way up to T10. Then they probably use them there as well. How fun it must for them to do a lot of damage (NOT).

There was. Sometime around this Halloween. I believe it was some mission. Yamamoto missions etc. There was really capable CV captains running AS loadouts. It was some plane kill mission etc. Normally AS loadouts are noobs that just click and click. However with 3 squads that alone is annoying and they can control a big area with those.

[UNICS]
Players
1,279 posts
17,778 battles

Hakuryuu, the destroyer of BBabies :Smile_child: :etc_red_button::cap_tea:

Honestly , i like carriers because its a class the least affected by high ping ( 210ms ping & (105ms ingame))

Still getting used to 8 squads tho :D

Think how good i would of been if i had 35ms ping?

[QTANG]
Players
1,171 posts
18,688 battles
9 hours ago, Ysterpyp said:

Honestly , i like carriers because its a class the least affected by high ping ( 210ms ping & (105ms ingame))

WUT ? Tbh, i find CVs pretty unplayable above 100-150ms since it tends to completely ruin my timing on drops and strafes.

[UNICS]
Players
1,279 posts
17,778 battles
6 hours ago, rnat said:

WUT ? Tbh, i find CVs pretty unplayable above 100-150ms since it tends to completely ruin my timing on drops and strafes.

not really maybe strafing .. but i dont notice it .. 

Long range shots with bb  tends to pass through ships and hit the water with high ping which i hate

Players
161 posts
10,229 battles
On 11/15/2017 at 6:02 AM, Ysterpyp said:

not really maybe strafing .. but i dont notice it .. 

Long range shots with bb  tends to pass through ships and hit the water with high ping which i hate

For my 50 ping.. strafing is sometimes completely broken, often seeing planes strafing sideways then warping to a different location and all kinds of bizzare stuff...

At least if you are lagging (i think its more desync than latency) with normal ships you can realise that when your overpenned APs on the front guns broke the rudder... well... aim even further ahead :D

With strafing, if the other guy has better ping, you just lose. They will dodge all your strafes (or it will look like your strafe did nothing to the planes you thought you hit) and then gobble up your planes...

Back to the topic, T8 and higher CV is really hard to enjoy if the enemy team happens to have one or two braincells among them.

High tier blobbing and lemming trains are to be expected, you no longer have a realistic chance of sniping the enemy CV due to def AA... also the DDs are now far more capable of killing your planes (kidd for example... sigh)

Shokaku was alright, tolerable i suppose, the last 20 games i played to finish the grind were literally all t10 but fortunately there are still quite a few potato CVs so simply playing defensive while your team breaks some AA guns for you works.. some of the time.. Taiho stock was every bit as disastrous as trying to play a stock BB, maybe worse.. :fish_palm:

I pretty much lost all desire to grind CVs to a higher tier since the AA reworks started happening, my friend literally refuses to play hakuryu now...

The year of the CV is coming to an end, maybe it will be year of the BB next so they get their beating with the nerf bat

[DUSD]
Players
368 posts
6,571 battles
2 hours ago, Spellfire40 said:

Only prem CVs and mostly test GZ atm:

You even got a cheerful greeting from that first BB player right after it sunk. :Smile_teethhappy:

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,161 posts
11,604 battles
1 minute ago, LongJohn_ said:

You even got a cheerful greeting from that first BB player right after it sunk. :Smile_teethhappy:

Funny thing is in the same game I atacked a gneisenau that turned in not out and it reduced the number of hits to 4 and it was handicaped by an Island too. ITs an op CVs fault when you do the wrong thing in a BB :Smile_great: