Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Kamikazesushi

Pan - Asian DDs and politics

59 comments in this topic

[-RT-]
Players
299 posts
18,896 battles

The new DD line contains some ships belonging to the Taiwan (Republic of China). Recently I was interrested in its history and international situation of Taiwan and found out that almost no countries in the world recognize it as a state. The reason is that both China (People´s republic of China) and Taiwan (Republic of China) are refusing to have a diplomatic relations whit whoever would recognize the other state. So most of the world chose with their wallet and recognized only the People´s Republic of China.

I was really wondering how this will be handled in game since no European country neither Russia or Belarus (or where is WG based) officially acknowledge the existance of the state Taiwan (ROC). Isn´t this going to be a problem just like swastika or IJN flag?

[BTS]
Players
1,064 posts
4,867 battles

Well, it's already in game as the fictional Pan-Asia (which sounds a lot like Japan's "Big asian co-prosperity sphere"). What's funny is that each ship retains her Naval Ensign, I've got PLAN's on Anshan and ROCN's on Fail Yang.

[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles

I doubt it'll cause issues for many reasons, the fact that Taiwan didn't commit mass murder on an astronomical scale being one of them.

• Cool 4

Players
1,071 posts
8,209 battles
4 minutes ago, Kamikazesushi said:

I was really wondering how this will be handled in game since no European country neither Russia or Belarus (or where is WG based) officially acknowledge the existance of the state Taiwan (ROC). Isn´t this going to be a problem just like swastika or IJN flag?

The Taiwanese ships will get a neutral flag. It will show a white flag with a black ape wearing green pants with blue suspenders who scratches his head with a yellow hand while he eat a red cucumber with the other hand. This way all international colors are present in the flag and nobody get pissed off - you know, like the olympic games flag.

• Cool 1

Players
3,363 posts
5,845 battles
5 minutes ago, Kamikazesushi said:

The reason is that both China (People´s republic of China) and Taiwan (Republic of China) are refusing to have a diplomatic relations whit whoever would recognize the other state. So most of the world chose with their wallet and recognized only the People´s Republic of China.

The thematic behind that is much more complex.

12 minutes ago, Kamikazesushi said:

Isn´t this going to be a problem just like swastika or IJN flag?

Why would it? You can put fictional nations in any video game. Since that state isnt recognized, it pretty much falls in the same category.

[-RT-]
Players
299 posts
18,896 battles

To elaborate more: I would guess the Taiwan flag might be banned in China(maybe I am wrong). Here is the similarity with swastika banned in Germany.

Quality Poster
3,367 posts
8,384 battles

Don't forget: China has the game on its own servers by a seperate publisher with a fictional nation for Japan (iirc), so it's quite safe to assume that the Taiwan ships will come as another fictional nation.

Greetings

[XODUS]
Players
737 posts
4,214 battles

Flag Politics, nowadays about as hair raising/controversial as Gunboat Diplomacy 100 years ago 

• Cool 2

[CHN-P]
Players
9 posts
9,619 battles
58 minutes ago, Kamikazesushi said:

To elaborate more: I would guess the Taiwan flag might be banned in China(maybe I am wrong). Here is the similarity with swastika banned in Germany.

No, the flag of ROC is not banned in mainland China since the 1990s, nowadays you can see it in textbooks, on the TV... basicly no restrictions.

But calling it "Taiwan flag" is politically incorrect.

[CATS]
Players
14,753 posts
10,885 battles

I wonder how they deal with captains names.

Does each nation get its own name generator?

Would be strange to hire a captain for your korean DD and only get chinese names.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,613 posts
5,167 battles

1 hour ago, Jethro_Grey said:

I doubt it'll cause issues for many reasons, the fact that Taiwan didn't commit mass murder on an astronomical scale being one of them.

In China the scale can be massive without being noticed, yes Mao/Communists caused mass murder both directly and indirectly (famine etc), but the Kuomintang weren't gentle either when they fought their civil wars.... but we digress.

Lo Yang/Anshan - hadn't noticed that they fly different flags. I'll check when next in game :)

Both Communist China and the ROC have moved on from the worst of their cold war positions, so don;t see an issue with flying whatever flag would be appropriate for each ship (although ti does seem weird that they might have different flags depending on which ship...)

[BTS]
Players
1,064 posts
4,867 battles
23 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

I wonder how they deal with captains names.

Does each nation get its own name generator?

Would be strange to hire a captain for your korean DD and only get chinese names.

Random name generator: it picks up a name from a language and a surname from another; like:

Hajoon Nguyen

Nattapong Jiang

Zhao Chi Minh

This way everybody's happy as no nationality is prevailing on others.

Edit: it could also work for an eventual Pan-European navy! Imagine something like:

Alejandro Van Galen

Branko Hansen

Kostas Dos Santos

Magnus Fuentes

Sounds totally awesome!

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
3,589 posts
5,930 battles
57 minutes ago, DreadArchangel said:

This is a mickey mouse line its that simple, there are real navies, which should be out long before these things.

U do understand that other parts of the world are playing this game besides europeans? SEA has an own server, so maybe they are more interested in Pan-Asian lines than they are in Italian or any other european navy?

• Cool 2

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles
2 hours ago, Kamikazesushi said:

The new DD line contains some ships belonging to the Taiwan (Republic of China). Recently I was interrested in its history and international situation of Taiwan and found out that almost no countries in the world recognize it as a state. The reason is that both China (People´s republic of China) and Taiwan (Republic of China) are refusing to have a diplomatic relations whit whoever would recognize the other state. So most of the world chose with their wallet and recognized only the People´s Republic of China.

The flag isn't illegal though. All countries still do business with Taiwan. And Taiwan does is under the Taiwanese flag. You can even get a visa.

And the ships of visiting countries will also fly the Nationalist China flag when entering the port.

[-AWF-]
Players
1,196 posts
6,468 battles
12 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

U do understand that other parts of the world are playing this game besides europeans? SEA has an own server, so maybe they are more interested in Pan-Asian lines than they are in Italian or any other european navy?

Well I hoped they would focuson important ships from the WWII era, not where the players are from.

3 hours ago, Jethro_Grey said:

The mass murder issue is not important; I can still see the hammer and the sickle in the game.

• Cool 1

Players
3,363 posts
5,845 battles
10 minutes ago, von_Boeg said:

Well I hoped they would focuson important ships from the WWII era

I think the judgement on what is important is hugly biased - based, on where you from. You kinda show it yourself with that post. Most navalbattles of WWII where actually fought in the pacific, while Kriegsmarine and Homefleet were sitting in their ports. Left aside Dönitz and his U-Boot-Waffe.

[FAM]
Alpha Tester
2,435 posts
7,140 battles

It's a pity when WG tries to cater to the nationalistic feelings of the potential players in order to gain a playerbase. Using national confrontation has these problems.

I know it's one of the least important issues in this game but it would be nice if WG would try to deflect some of the most nationalistic and confrontational aspects of its marketing (like promoting the german/british ships with then sinking british/german ships, for example) and focus on remembering history and enjoy it at the same time.

It's probably a pipe dream...

Players
2,248 posts
14,326 battles
1 minute ago, OVanBruce said:

...It's a pity when WG tries to cater to the nationalistic feelings of the potential players in order to gain a playerbase...

:Smile_teethhappy:

I wonder why there are so many Russian/Soviet ships in game?

[-AWF-]
Players
1,196 posts
6,468 battles
8 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

I think the judgement on what is important is hugly biased - based, on where you from. You kinda show it yourself with that post. Most navalbattles of WWII where actually fought in the pacific, while Kriegsmarine and Homefleet were sitting in their ports. Left aside Dönitz and his U-Boot-Waffe.

Uh? How did my post disagree with that?  

By contrast, you might enlighten me on the role the Taiwaneese navy played.

[FAM]
Alpha Tester
2,435 posts
7,140 battles
3 minutes ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

:Smile_teethhappy:

I wonder why there are so many Russian/Soviet ships in game?

Yes, I'm utterly aware. That's why I believe it's a pipe dream.

• Cool 1

Players
723 posts
5,774 battles
3 hours ago, Kamikazesushi said:

As far as I know, China has banned all games that depict wars between real nations, so in China all war games are given fictional flags and fictional nation names. Same is true for this game. The ship lines are the same, but on the China server (or on the China downloaded games) they use fictional flags.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,994 battles
1 hour ago, SmartassNoob said:

As far as I know, China has banned all games that depict wars between real nations, so in China all war games are given fictional flags and fictional nation names. Same is true for this game. The ship lines are the same, but on the China server (or on the China downloaded games) they use fictional flags.

At least China is consistent. Unlike revisionist "pick and choose" censorship of some other countries.

• Cool 4

[HAVEN]
Players
719 posts
6,164 battles

Forget about politics, generally does not belong in games due to snowflake status or just ignoring the past.

This is WOWS about ships which generally appeared in various wars, yet we do not have the Nazi flag, or Nazi camos on certain german ships due to Germany choosing to ignore its own past.

Germans killed millions, so did China/Russia, Britain ensalved half the world because of tea, facts are facts but like with everthing these days if it is racist or sexist or some snowflake gets offended about it then no matter how accurate it is it is wrong and has to be removed because of feelings.

• Cool 1

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
55 minutes ago, Kashuken said:

Forget about politics, generally does not belong in games due to snowflake status or just ignoring the past.

This is WOWS about ships which generally appeared in various wars, yet we do not have the Nazi flag, or Nazi camos on certain german ships due to Germany choosing to ignore its own past.

It is not so much about Germany ignoring her own past but about people -partly in higher places but also a lot of the average Joe - making themselves and the rest of the population aware over and over again of what Germany (i.e. the Nazi regime and their followers and supporters) did 70 years ago. As if they wanted every German to live in a constant state of guilt.

It feels like over 50% of historical documentaries on TV are about how evil germany was during WW2. Flags and insignia from those times are banned and get censored when used anywhere else than in said documentaries (e.g. also games with a more or less historical background, movies etc.) and such. And it goes further into the public life where it seems to influence political decisions to do anything but give the slightest hint of what could be interpreted as racism.

I don't defend the racist actions and other crimes which took place and I think it is important to deal even with uncomfortable parts of the past. Therefore some of the measures (like banning racist parties and groups) are ok but other seem way over the top considering the time WW2 and the Nazi regime dates back. I am not aware of any other country which does it like it is in Germany. At least I have never heard of countries like the USA, Spain, GB, France, China and Russia having such issues in this scale.