Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
lup3s

Why the Akizuki doesn't have Defensive AA?

53 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,207 posts
10,378 battles

Hi,

With the new change for the Defensive AA consumable of high tier USN and RU DDs, I wondered how come the Akizuki doesn't have this consumable?

I always thought that (historically) she was an AA focused ship? So it would kind of make sense giving her this consumable.. Would also be nice to have this unique IJN DD :cap_hmm:

• Cool 6

Weekend Tester
128 posts
4,474 battles

*Edited

Edited by Nohe21
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to non-constructive content.
  • Cool 9

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,650 battles
On 11/12/2017 at 6:23 PM, Nishizumi77 said:

*Edited

And it isn't hidden behind a PayWall like the Kidd is.

I did buy the Kidd but probably shouldn't have done as it fits in the same niche as Aki but is simply better...

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
17 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

And it isn't hidden behind a PayWall like the Kidd is.

I did buy the Kidd but probably shouldn't have done as it fits in the same niche as Aki but is simply better...

What does it have to do with a paywall?

The normal higher tier USN DDs and SU DDs of the alternative tree can mount Def AA, too.

I'd say it is just so that WG wants to give every line a gimmick. One gimmick for USN DDs and the alternative SU trees is the possibility to mount Def AA. The argument based on realism is just not valid. Many if not all DDs would have much more consumables if WG took it into account.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,650 battles
Just now, Tungstonid said:

What does it have to do with a paywall?

The normal higher tier USN DDs and SU DDs of the alternative tree can mount Def AA, too.

I'd say it is just so that WG wants to give every line a gimmick. One gimmick for USN DDs and the alternative SU trees is the possibility to mount Def AA. The argument based on realism is just not valid. Many if not all DDs would have much more consumables if WG took it into account.

Because if you want a better Aki you buy the Kidd...

I very much doubt WG will be giving Aki anything at this stage, someone I was talking to last night said one day WG might finish the alternative IJN DD tree, as in add a T9 and T10 which should include the Super Aki but it'll have to have paper too.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,207 posts
10,378 battles
14 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Because if you want a better Aki you buy the Kidd...

I very much doubt WG will be giving Aki anything at this stage, someone I was talking to last night said one day WG might finish the alternative IJN DD tree, as in add a T9 and T10 which should include the Super Aki but it'll have to have paper too.

And then the Kidd would probably still be better, because it has Defensive AA.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,650 battles
10 minutes ago, lup3s said:

And then the Kidd would probably still be better, because it has Defensive AA.

Yeah as an all round package Kidd is better.

Has less DPM on paper but Aki DPM essentially needs a 4 point captain sink into IFHE where as Kidd can spend them on more useful things like RPF or just more dakka with BFT etc

Don't forget Kidd can actually disengage from combat where as Aki's slow fat @ss means if you've miscalculated then you're probably dead :Smile_sad:

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,413 posts
13,825 battles

Akizuki AA was no exception to suffering from horrible drawbacks that plagued all IJN AA guns irl. On that basis she doesn't deserve DFAA.

Her AA ingame was most likely balanced with lack of DFAA in mind as they have values that far exceed their counterparts. Giving her DFAA would probably entail a pretty big hit to her base DPS, whether or not you'd be willing to make that trade though is another story.

• Cool 1

[WGP2W]
Players
1,422 posts
9,970 battles

Dear people,

Soon even stupid boat ( 1 meter or two) will have enough AA to take down Midway fighters T10.

Yours,
WG

#sarcasm

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,207 posts
10,378 battles
59 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Akizuki AA was no exception to suffering from horrible drawbacks that plagued all IJN AA guns irl. On that basis she doesn't deserve DFAA.

Her AA ingame was most likely balanced with lack of DFAA in mind as they have values that far exceed their counterparts. Giving her DFAA would probably entail a pretty big hit to her base DPS, whether or not you'd be willing to make that trade though is another story.

Yet meanwhile they buff the DFAA on USN and RU DDs; and release a T8 (Premium !) DD that has better AA than the Akizuki...

(and better stealth, better smoke, heal consumable...)

• Cool 3

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,413 posts
13,825 battles
28 minutes ago, lup3s said:

Yet meanwhile they buff the DFAA on USN and RU DDs; and release a T8 (Premium !) DD that has better AA than the Akizuki...

Is balans comrade! Xaxaxaxaxa!

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,535 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

Afaik it was only the subpar performance on the 25mm guns (poor gun training, poor compatibility for powered mounts and subpar rate of fire) that was a big issue with IJN AAA. But the Type 98 100mm/65 DPs were quite formidable in their AAA role if I'm not mistaken.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,413 posts
13,825 battles
3 hours ago, Aotearas said:

But the Type 98 100mm/65 DPs were quite formidable in their AAA role if I'm not mistaken.

As guns themselves they were perfectly serviceable, even if they were too low on endurance (their barrels broke incredibly fast due to their high rof and shell velocity). Given proper fire direction, a longer service life and shell types they could've become fearsome AA guns indeed. As it stands though they were at best adequate and still miles behind contemporary allied AA guns.

The 127mm/50 mountings used on DDs were ineffective against aircraft due to their low traverse speeds and slow rof.

The 127mm/40 guns used on cruisers and BBs on the other hand had a low effective range and ceiling.

Seriously, every single IJN AA gun had at least one, if not more crippling drawbacks. Kinda ironic considering this is the nation that pioneered naval aviation.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,770 posts
10,668 battles
5 hours ago, lup3s said:

Hi,

With the new change for the Defensive AA consumable of high tier USN and RU DDs, I wondered how come the Akizuki doesn't have this consumable?

I always thought that (historically) she was an AA focused ship? So it would kind of make sense giving her this consumable.. Would also be nice to have this unique IJN DD :cap_hmm:

Akizuki given AA consumable would be OP. I think she might get one if she ends up pushed to t9 (which might happen when they complete the line sometime in the future), but at t8? It would be too powerful, I think. Unless, that is, they added it in the torp reload skill - now that would be an interesting trade-off for the ship that relies on that consumable to ever fire more than 4 torps at once...

Of course, I say "too powerful" as if WG actually had a balancing team. Kidd too should get def AA - but, like Akizuki, she should be forced to sacrifice a great deal of power elsewhere by giving up her heal (making her pretty squishy).

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,207 posts
10,378 battles
1 hour ago, eliastion said:

Akizuki given AA consumable would be OP. I think she might get one if she ends up pushed to t9 (which might happen when they complete the line sometime in the future), but at t8? It would be too powerful, I think. Unless, that is, they added it in the torp reload skill - now that would be an interesting trade-off for the ship that relies on that consumable to ever fire more than 4 torps at once...

Of course, I say "too powerful" as if WG actually had a balancing team. Kidd too should get def AA - but, like Akizuki, she should be forced to sacrifice a great deal of power elsewhere by giving up her heal (making her pretty squishy).

Idd, could be like a Kidd then (single launcher w/o torp reload but def AA) - and you still get to choose! :cap_like:

[ONE2]
Players
2,396 posts
14,381 battles
13 hours ago, Boris_MNE said:

Soon even stupid boat ( 1 meter or two) will have enough AA to take down Midway fighters T10

I'm so gonna buy the "Stupid Boat"-prem, when it comes out... :cap_like:

[UNICS]
Players
1,207 posts
15,028 battles
13 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

AFAIK , irl the 100mm aa guns were their best AA guns and was extremely effective 

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNJAP_39-65_t98.php

[HOME]
Players
59 posts
10,010 battles

A trade off would be easy to find for this ship. Give it a choice between Defensive Fire and the Torpedo Reload booster. 

It has been built as a purpose AAA Destroyer with give it that role, please. It's AA is't that string and now it has been surpassed by another ship. 

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,396 posts
14,381 battles

I like this idea @Soemba, have always wanted to try Aki with full AA potential, might be fun though I prolly would still end up using the mainly Gunboat.torp-booster setup for regular use. :cap_like:

[SCRUB]
Players
1,984 posts
20 hours ago, lup3s said:

Hi,

Well, it would make Akizuki a little OP in AA department in full AA spec, giving it 600 dps over 7.2 km... It has highest base (mid to long range) dps of any destroyer.

My beef with WG is about nerfing Akizuki AA compared to its original design (after refit), since it doesn't have DF. Those few additional 25mm guns, would not make that much difference.

And since we are on DF subject, I don't think on destroyers it should boost AA - IMO it should only panic planes.

• Cool 1

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,088 posts
14,054 battles

I think the Akizuki should get a heal.

:cap_old:

• Cool 4

Players
894 posts
11,126 battles
6 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

Well, it would make Akizuki a little OP in AA department in full AA spec, giving it 600 dps over 7.2 km... It has highest base (mid to long range) dps of any destroyer.

My beef with WG is about nerfing Akizuki AA compared to its original design (after refit), since it doesn't have DF. Those few additional 25mm guns, would not make that much difference.

And since we are on DF subject, I don't think on destroyers it should boost AA - IMO it should only panic planes.

I'd go maybe as far (although only with the knowledge that I have no actual influence on this... ) that no DefAA should raise the actual DPM apart from the cruisers'.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,359 battles

Yay, finally some other guys are pushing for an extra choice for Duki Torp boost VS Def AA (Or engine boost for DF AA, as she is terribly slow without it). :Smile_Default:

[BLITZ]
Players
2,073 posts
9,129 battles
33 minutes ago, indycar said:

very constructive answer

Unfortunately this seems true. At least regarding destroyers. I mean, look at their torpedoes...

In my opinion, Germans and US-Americans are better torpedoboats.

They could use some love, but I'm not sure if stronger anti-air is the right setscrew.

Sign in to follow this