Sign in to follow this  
VulcanPyroman

RADAR

13 comments in this topic

Players
2 posts
3,231 battles

I recently got my first tier 6 ships, but now starting to encounter RADAR with my destroyer. I am struggling a bit how to change my play style with respect to that. Should I just accept to get randomly spotted more often and when getting spotting try to get out and dodge dip dive duck and dodge :Smile_hiding:, or do I need to start playing more conservative and keep now more distance, or...? I guess the answer will be "it depends...", but any tips?

[CATS]
Players
14,676 posts
10,879 battles

Try to remember which ships have radar and how large the radius is.

Keep your distance to them

If you are close, avoid actions that announce your presence (smoke, caps, torps).

• Cool 3

Players
1,509 posts
10,533 battles

The tl;dr is play more conservatively untill you know where all radar ships are. 

Just like you probably play safe untill you know where the other DD are.

The higher the tier the faster you get blown up.

T8-T10 BB volleys regularly hit for 5-8k on a dd in radar range so getting spotted can be quite deadly. Of couse there are lots of ways to play around radar, like staying on the edge of the range so you can quickly leave, or keeping a solid island between you and the enemy main fleet when you push up :)

Check the enemy line-up at the start.

You will soon encounter hydro-equipped dds aswell, so here's a list of things to look out for in the enemy lineup:

- BB: Missouri, Hydro equipped BB (germans T8+) can and will push your smoke

- CA: T8+ USN, T8+ Russians, Belfast, Atlanta, Indianapolis, T8+ RN cruisers (can mount radar, usually dont)

- DD: Black, German dds

- CV (obviously)

• Cool 1

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

Best solution, always have a way out. And if possible, try to bait out the RADAR when it is most advantageous to you so you can abuse the lack of RADAR coverage later

[LN69]
Players
12 posts
6,155 battles

When i´m trying to get a cap in my Shima I usually try to swing full around and reversing inside the cap so i always can speed boost out if needed or get behind cover, and if the radar ship get spotted mark it for focused fire to try to get rid of it asap!

Players
944 posts
5,322 battles
On 12-11-2017 at 10:54 AM, VulcanPyroman said:

I recently got my first tier 6 ships, but now starting to encounter RADAR with my destroyer. I am struggling a bit how to change my play style with respect to that. Should I just accept to get randomly spotted more often and when getting spotting try to get out and dodge dip dive duck and dodge :Smile_hiding:, or do I need to start playing more conservative and keep now more distance, or...? I guess the answer will be "it depends...", but any tips?

Aggression is your biggest enemy when there is radar on the enemy team. Do not make a brainless beeline to the cap. Radar cruisers, especially the US line, have concealment close to the radar range. When you spot them it's already too late. Never assume the enemies in sight are the only ones actually there. Enable "last seen" position on the mini map and count the radar ships.

Now this doesn't mean you shouldn't move to the cap. It's in the way you approach the cap. Act like you can expect torps incoming at any moment. Point your ships nose towards an island close by to escape, or at least angle away. Do not get caught sailing in the open or in an awkward turn. You can survive being radared just fine if you don't get caught with your pants down.

Categorize your enemies according to their abilities:

VMF: 12km range, shorter duration

RN / US: 10km range. long duration 

Oddball premiums like Missouri, Black, Belfast and so on have 7,5 to 8,5km range, medium duration

PA DD's: not determined at the moment

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Surveillance_Radar_Data

• Cool 1

Players
1,509 posts
10,533 battles
9 hours ago, walter3kurtz said:

VMF: 12km range, shorter duration

RN / US: 10km range. long duration. Missouri (9,45 km to be exact)

Oddball premiums like Missouri, Black, Belfast and so on have 7,5 to 8,5km range, medium duration

PA DD's: not determined at the moment

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Surveillance_Radar_Data

Fixed it for you :fish_book:

Players
944 posts
5,322 battles
On 14-11-2017 at 0:13 AM, GulvkluderGuld said:

Fixed it for you :fish_book:

Yeah Missouri falls under the normal ships. The distances are just approximations, easier to remember for me. US radar goes from 9.0 to 9.9km making 10 an easy to remember safe value.

[IRQ]
Players
2,729 posts
6,638 battles

It also helps to tell your teammates to focus down the radar cruisers. Can't do as much for ships that don't deserve radar in the first place, like Missouri and Black, unless they play carelessly (although the latter will probably be targeted anyway if spotted).

[BAD-B]
Players
651 posts
2,336 battles

Learn the names of the radar carrying ships and their ranges, duration is hard to judge because of the module, expect 30 seconds minimum. ALWAYS assume the ship has radar (f.e. CHapayev A hull cannot mount radar, you can see it in the team lineup, but you can make mistakes). Check the team lineup at start of battle for the radar ships. If you don't know who's where, pick a cap where you can slip behind islands fast, never go into open caps in that case. ALways call targets when you spot them, cruisers first as they are much easier to get rid of.

You can bait out radar with smokes in strategic locations, but some unhappy team mate may try to use those and pay for it :-)) happens to me frequently...

Hydro is another can of worms :-) Similar rules apply.

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles
2 hours ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

[...]CHapayev A hull cannot mount radar, you can see it in the team lineup, but you can make mistakes). [...]

You can see the difference in chapayev hull by it's hitpoints. Hull A has 32000 hitpoints and has no RADAR. Hull B has 37000(?) hitpoints and has RADAR. (and if it is a potato with Survivability Expert then it is 34800hp for hull A and 39800 for hull B.

[BAD-B]
Players
651 posts
2,336 battles
1 minute ago, stewie533 said:

You can see the difference in chapayev hull by it's hitpoints. Hull A has 32000 hitpoints and has no RADAR. Hull B has 37000(?) hitpoints and has RADAR. (and if it is a potato with Survivability Expert then it is 34800hp for hull A and 39800 for hull B.

Or in the battle loading screen, survivability rating 45 is hull A, rating 50 is hull B ... but I did make a mistake a few times there so :-)

Sign in to follow this