You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Rosletyne

What are you going to do about karma?

13 comments in this topic

Question

[-CC-]
Players
130 posts
11,991 battles

Karma has existed in the game for nearly two years now, and it does not seem to serve any positive purpose. Most players ignore it and don't bother to give out compliments. Many fools, griefers and trolls however abuse the report function constantly. Angry enemies frequently report you for sinking them, while your own team can report you for the most absurd and minor reasons, with no regard to whether they are fair. You can carry a game and get reported by an angry ally who thinks you did not support them enough. You can be losing a game despite doing your best and get reported by dead allies who did not achieve anything, yet blame the living players for the loss. You can get reported for living, dying, kill stealing, colliding, not using camo, playing a stock ship, playing a carrier with strike loadout, playing a carrier in the first place... the list goes on.

The karma system is fundamentally broken and abused. Are you ever going to do something to change that? And if you can't, why don't you get rid of it completely? Because as it is, it only serves to annoy players who have done nothing wrong, and we would be better off without it.

My recommendation would be to scrap karma, and to also remove the possibility to report players for being AFK. Often they are AFK because of technical issues that are not their fault, and there is another system in place that penalizes being AFK. There is no need for a double punishment.

• Cool 8

12 answers to this question

[-CC-]
Players
130 posts
11,991 battles

Of course you can abuse it. That is a major reason why it serves no positive purpose.

And I'm not most players. I care because it is wrong, plain and simple. The karma system is the one thing about this game I hate more than anything else.

[-CC-]
Players
130 posts
11,991 battles

It has been nearly two months since I asked this question. No answer has been forthcoming. In fact, most questions on this forum are being ignored. What is the point of a questions & answers forum without answers?

I recently had a game in the Essex. Two kills, thirty plane kills, but the game ends in loss. So what do I get? Six reports from my own team, from a double division of five players who only managed two kills between them. This cannot possibly be what reports and karma were meant for. How long will you allow this abuse to continue?

How long?

• Cool 1

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Players
35 posts
9,084 battles

Hello Mariners!

Like many, I rarely get rewarded with karma points for doing great, but get heavily penalised when RNG holds you back.

Even in PvE ffs!

Is there a way of changing a setting in any of the xml files so that the karma figure doesn't display on the client and then be done with it!

That way, idiots can abuse others as much as they like but the count would not show up as a reminder every time I pass through the profile screens.

Thanks in advance. 

Boardy

[-CC-]
Players
130 posts
11,991 battles
3 hours ago, clocky said:

Getting 6 reports means you did not team play.

I see you conveniently skipped over the 30 plane kills to berate my team play, without seeing the game in question and without anything to base your judgement on. I mentioned the kills and plane kills because it was simple and quick, and discussing the game in any further detail was beside the point. I do understand team play, I spot destroyers for my team to kill, I try to use my planes where they are most effective, and I protect my team as best I can. In this particular game, I strafed and destroyed three torpedo bomber squadrons at once when they were attacking a friendly battleship, to name one instance. The same battleship belonged to the clan that sent the reports on me. No good deed goes unpunished.

I talked to some of the players after the battle. They were, without question, the most offensive idiots I have ever met in this game, and I don't want to see that record broken.

My complaint stands. Reports are being widely abused, and WarGaming is neither saying or doing anything about it.

• Cool 2

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
85 posts
18,202 battles

I agree with the OP that this issue has been out there since it came out. Like the OP addressed you can get reported even when your team wins or you sink 6 ships or shoot down 40 planes for various reasons by your own teammates or enemy players. I have quite a lot of positive karma but simply don't see the point of having this system implemented in the game from a player's perspective.  In order for this system to be beneficial to both players and wg there should be incentives for players who reach certain amount of positive karma. Meanwhile, false reporting should be somehow prevented  by wg or at least some measures should be taken to minimize it. I also addressed this issue a year or two ago, don'T remember exactly when. If the point is to direct players into more team play and toxic free environment I invite wg to take action (s), ACTION STATIONS!

• Cool 1

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Players
35 posts
9,084 battles
On 31/12/2017 at 6:07 PM, clocky said:

Getting kills in this game means nothing if you don't team play. Game is all about team play. I could just waste my torps on a easy to kill target when perhaps what i should have done is decap or perhaps send my planes to where it mattered in the first time. Getting 6 reports means you did not team play. Yes it's possible sometimes they are all trolls but it's rare. So perhaps truy to understand team play rather than complain about karma

I got reported for capping in a Belfast in a standard battle for-shortening the game and achieving the object. How is that not playing as part of a team?

The karma system is totally abused, used to certify the abuse, salt and "little murders" who silently stab you in the back.

Get rid of it!!!.

No seriously, get rid of it!

(Now watch my last remaining karma come down in game.)

Capt Boardy.

• Cool 1

Players
447 posts
6,377 battles

I find it an excellent tool for judging how insulting I am . I managed to lose 6 kama in one game once by insulting the BB players - which is still my record. Of course I keep getting kama for insulting BB players because I'm inventive and prolific. 

Players
6 posts
4,762 battles

Well I just had a game in my Fletcher where I held the B cap against a gearing, a yamamoto, a gross currywurst and a roon for over 5 mins and dealt 120k damage..I get killed eventually and read chat and see "Fletcher reported" from 1 of my own team..no idea why as I thought I was team playing. Then when I get back to port I see "you were reported" -2 karma.

It isn't about the karma, it's the fact that anybody can report you for something they feel is wrong without you having any chance to answer. 

20180312_195130_PASD021-Fletcher-1943_14_Atlantic.wowsreplay

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
18 posts

Other numbers give me allergies, so I have to make sure to shitpost in chat to get -1s until it's zero again.

What can I say, I just like round numbers.

[LAZY]
Beta Tester
71 posts
7,178 battles

@Rosletyne, if you really want a reply by someone from WG staff. you could always tag their name to get their attention.

Somehow I can predict their answer already; it will be something like this:

"Unfortunately things in software development are not that easy and the number of players asking for the option to disable chat  karma is not that significant right now."

(that Google translates roughly to:  "'we are rather busy developing new premium ships, and selling them is our priority ")

[DSPA]
Beta Tester
256 posts

Getting kills in this game means nothing if you don't team play. Game is all about team play. I could just waste my torps on a easy to kill target when perhaps what i should have done is decap or perhaps send my planes to where it mattered in the first time. Getting 6 reports means you did not team play. Yes it's possible sometimes they are all trolls but it's rare. So perhaps truy to understand team play rather than complain about karma

• Bad 1