Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Lectere

fighters locked in combat

34 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
7 posts
650 battles

I play US CV tier 8, and my fighter planes always get 'locked' when fighting other fighters. Meaning, once they are in dogfight with other fighters, I cannot move than away from the fight, nor can I press F to have them return to th ship. There is only one condition when they go away, when they run out of ammo. 

 

I can live with that, I think it's a bit stupid, but if that's the way the rules are; fine.

 

But why the [edited]don't these rules apply to my enemy?, just closed wow game, and i'm really close of never playing this unfair stupid game again; what happens;

-I see two enemy fight groups approching, 

-I order one of my fighters to attack the one, lets call them group A

-I order the other fighters to attack the other onces, lets call them group B

-First two meet, group A, and start fighting each other, 

-Group B, can seem to 'pick' the other group, allowing the enemy to strafe into my group B

-And on [edited]top of that, the enemy fighters from group A spear off from combat, out of the way of the strafe.

 

resulting in my fightergroup A to be gone withing seconds, shorly followed by the fighters in group B because that are overwhelmed

 

I what [edited]world is that fair, I'm locked in dogfight, but that rule doesn't seem to apply to my enemy. how the [edited]is that possible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,752 posts
9,924 battles

Because you don't understand the game mechanic? You know there is something called strafing out right where you can strafe out of a dogfight? You can do it too just fyi.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
894 posts
11,126 battles

You can stafe out from fighter engagements with the loss of one plane per squadron (except for Saipan), the rules apply to all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PUPSI]
Players
6,248 posts
13 minutes ago, Lectere said:

how the [edited]is that possible?

 

good question! How can someone get to tier 8 ships without knowing the basic game mechanics?

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,607 posts
7,323 battles
6 minutes ago, AkosJaccik said:

You can stafe out from fighter engagements with the loss of one plane per squadron (except for Saipan), the rules apply to all.

 

Does this apply to T4/5 as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,752 posts
9,924 battles
2 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

 

Does this apply to T4/5 as well?

 

No cause they can't strafe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DIKI]
Players
988 posts
295 battles
17 minutes ago, Lectere said:

I play US CV tier 8, and my fighter planes always get 'locked' when fighting other fighters. Meaning, once they are in dogfight with other fighters, I cannot move than away from the fight, nor can I press F to have them return to th ship. There is only one condition when they go away, when they run out of ammo. 

 

I can live with that, I think it's a bit stupid, but if that's the way the rules are; fine.

 

But why the [edited]don't these rules apply to my enemy?, just closed wow game, and i'm really close of never playing this unfair stupid game again; what happens;

-I see two enemy fight groups approching, 

-I order one of my fighters to attack the one, lets call them group A

-I order the other fighters to attack the other onces, lets call them group B

-First two meet, group A, and start fighting each other, 

-Group B, can seem to 'pick' the other group, allowing the enemy to strafe into my group B

-And on [edited]top of that, the enemy fighters from group A spear off from combat, out of the way of the strafe.

 

resulting in my fightergroup A to be gone withing seconds, shorly followed by the fighters in group B because that are overwhelmed

 

I what [edited]world is that fair, I'm locked in dogfight, but that rule doesn't seem to apply to my enemy. how the [edited]is that possible?

Don't be noob and play Lex with fighters. And i do hope you didn buy big e

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
894 posts
11,126 battles
28 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

 

Does this apply to T4/5 as well?

 

Good point, it doesn't. I used the "apply to all" in the sense of "it applies to the enemy as well as to you", but I should have been more precise with the wording.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

And this, my dear Wargaming, is why you need proper tutorials.

Prevents a lot of frustration. At least this guy comes to the forums to complain (and then gets educated). How many don't?

@Sub_Octavian

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modder
101 posts
5,570 battles

If you're serious about playing CVs (and at Tier VIII you should be, or you will have zero fun), you need to go to Youtube, look for tutorials, sit down and learn. And then play co-op to get some routine on how to use all that in the heat of the battle, before you return to random battles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
923 posts
13,965 battles

To be fair, WG does a poor job regarding everything carrier related, even basic tutorials on strafing. Just look at the carrier "tips" during the battle loading screen, most are generic tips that apply to all classes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,784 posts
10,685 battles
16 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Sounds like OP bought an Enterprise without ever playing a CV before :Smile_hiding:

Nah, he plays Lexington - and give him a break, he knows what strafing is, that's better than some CV captains out there. And strafing out of dogfights isn't very intuitive (and the fact that you always automatically lose a plane unless you're a Saipan because then you don't) is extremely anti-intuitive, in fact.

I'm afraid that OP isn't a special case of wallet warrior - he's just the typical "product" of WG's approach to informing players about game mechanics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,675 battles
Just now, eliastion said:

Nah, he plays Lexington - and give him a break, he knows what strafing is, that's better than some CV captains out there. And strafing out of dogfights isn't very intuitive (and the fact that you always automatically lose a plane unless you're a Saipan because then you don't) is extremely anti-intuitive, in fact.

I'm afraid that OP isn't a special case of wallet warrior - he's just the typical "product" of WG's approach to informing players about game mechanics.

Oh...

 

That's just very bad UI as sometimes it just bugs when you try to strafe out and you need to do it again or select a different angle.

 

No real idea why either...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,784 posts
10,685 battles
9 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Oh...

 

That's just very bad UI as sometimes it just bugs when you try to strafe out and you need to do it again or select a different angle.

 

No real idea why either...

No, no, it's not (only) the UI. OP talks about strafing (he knows that there is the alt-attack that can be used to knock planes off the sky in bulk) - he knew perfecly what hit him. What he didn't know is that there is the possibility of strafing straight out of gunfight. Which is, admittedly,  not an intuitive mechanics - if you're locked into "melee" and can't disengage, using a "charge" action to get away is... strange, since normally you'd need to set-up such an attack. If anything, it would be much more intuitive if being locked into dogfight was actually preventing you from strafing until you successfully disengage - the situation where you can't disengage but can jump directly into strafe is... strange. I wonder how long it would've taken me to understand these things had I not been around when the patch appeared (with patch notes explaining the bare minimum of new mechanics).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,675 battles
5 minutes ago, eliastion said:

No, no, it's not (only) the UI. OP talks about strafing (he knows that there is the alt-attack that can be used to knock planes off the sky in bulk) - he knew perfecly what hit him. What he didn't know is that there is the possibility of strafing straight out of gunfight. Which is, admittedly,  not an intuitive mechanics - if you're locked into "melee" and can't disengage, using a "charge" action to get away is... strange, since normally you'd need to set-up such an attack. If anything, it would be much more intuitive if being locked into dogfight was actually preventing you from strafing until you successfully disengage - the situation where you can't disengage but can jump directly into strafe is... strange. I wonder how long it would've taken me to understand these things had I not been around when the patch appeared (with patch notes explaining the bare minimum of new mechanics).

 

Urgh lol... 


Now I get it :Smile_amazed:

 

But yeah, didn't WG add exit strafing AFTER they added normal strafing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,196 posts
11,944 battles

Aren't you locked if 2 vs 1 without possible escape by strafing? Another counter-intuitive rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,440 posts
11,437 battles
1 minute ago, Ubertron_X said:

Aren't you locked if 2 vs 1 without possible escape by strafing? Another counter-intuitive rule.

Nope, not true. It doesn't matter how many squads you are fighting at once.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,196 posts
11,944 battles
2 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Nope, not true. It doesn't matter how many squads you are fighting at once.

 

Ok, looks like I read or remembered that wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[L4GG]
Players
1,554 posts
6,294 battles
16 hours ago, veslingr said:

Don't be noob and play Lex with fighters. And i do hope you didn buy big e

 

I'm a cruiser main, never did a battle in a cv, so be gentle.

 

How having a fighter set up in your cv, makes you a noob?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,446 posts
13,843 battles
5 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

How having a fighter set up in your cv, makes you a noob?

 

All Lexington setups only work when the enemy sucks, so choosing strike to maximize your game impact is only logical. Balanced is just straight up inferior to Enterprise/Shokaku in all aspects and you automatically lose against any experienced CV player when playing AS with no options to outplay, while you cannot make your air superiority advantage count against bad ones since you have no strike ability to back it up.

Thus strike is the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DIKI]
Players
988 posts
295 battles
7 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

 

I'm a cruiser main, never did a battle in a cv, so be gentle.

 

How having a fighter set up in your cv, makes you a noob?

 

Because if you play 2-0-2 aka AS setup you can not do dmg. And if enemie lets say shokaku gets just one good drop he did more than you and won over you no matter how much planes you killed in the end. 

 

Playing without single TB squad with this high rng in HE bombs and low dmg means you are ussles. 

 

Lex is played in stock as all USA till 8 (1-1-1) or better choice full strike 0_1_3.....

 

Or the best idea is to wait until deck change that was anounced because lex again will be somhow competitive. 

 

Right now it is the worst cv in game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[L4GG]
Players
1,554 posts
6,294 battles
11 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

All Lexington setups only work when the enemy sucks, so choosing strike to maximize your game impact is only logical. Balanced is just straight up inferior to Enterprise/Shokaku in all aspects and you automatically lose against any experienced CV player when playing AS with no options to outplay, while you cannot make your air superiority advantage count against bad ones since you have no strike ability to back it up.

Thus strike is the way to go.

 

3 hours ago, veslingr said:

Because if you play 2-0-2 aka AS setup you can not do dmg. And if enemie lets say shokaku gets just one good drop he did more than you and won over you no matter how much planes you killed in the end. 

 

Playing without single TB squad with this high rng in HE bombs and low dmg means you are ussles. 

 

Lex is played in stock as all USA till 8 (1-1-1) or better choice full strike 0_1_3.....

 

Or the best idea is to wait until deck change that was anounced because lex again will be somhow competitive. 

 

Right now it is the worst cv in game. 

 

So the idea of doing a defensive play, denying any kind  of damage to the enemy, let's say shoot down all the red fighters and TB planes it's out of the question, it's more a cat and mouse gameplay where you bait the other guy.

And the game don't allow it (4-0-0), right?

Got it.

As a cruiser guy I never understood that. I always thought that fighters were the most precious thing in a cv arsenal, it's like the cavalry.

 

other thing.

I know that the planes have a scouting mode, can they engage while in this mode?

 

and thanks for the clarification.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,440 posts
11,437 battles
7 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

I know that the planes have a scouting mode, can they engage while in this mode?

Never heard of that :cap_hmm:

They always spot in the area around them, no matter what they do at that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,675 battles

I have to disagree slightly that AS is the worst USN build.

 

It's viable from T7 onwards as with two fighters you can cover the majority of a non yolo/potato fleet. One fighter can cover a group of ships with AA as if you're good with strafe an IJN counter part is simply going to lose to you whether you front, side or side strafe. 

 

Plus having two Dive Bombers means you can stack DoT fires on enemy BBs. Granted you won't have effective damage vs Cruiser or DDs but if you are good at air defence and get a few good bombing runs the damage totals aren't going to disgrace. 

 

I just can't stand playing a Strike build with zero fighters as you are completely and utterly at the mercy of the MM and whether you get someone who has fighters.  Plus 1/1/1 is just weak sauce as you'll be outdone on every front.

 

Doesn't make any USN Deck "wrong" as such but don't write off AS as worthless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×