Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ste100

First Premium Ship to buy

70 comments in this topic

[HU5AR]
Players
37 posts
405 battles

Hi everyone

I would like to buy my first premium ship. Been thinking for some time and really cannot decide what to buy...

I don't want to spend much money, Battleships are not an option as i hate to play them.

First - i just would like to make extra credits + xp; at the moment i am struggling a lot with money and xp; i have probably too many ships and i am quite average player;

Second - i love Destroyers -  torpedo attacks on enemies, preferrably from distance /minimum 7-8km/ and run, support cruisers and battleships etc

Third - i also really like quick Cruisers - attacks from distance, put some torpedoes in the water and go somewhere else to help etc.

At the moment i am thinking about 3 ships:

Graf Spee - i know, it's slow - and low rate of fire - but has good quick torpedoes, and his guns can make miracles against other cruisers. Other thing is - it is beautiful and has history...

Duca d'Aosta - perfect for hit and run tactic, amazing (12km!) but slow torpedoes - only 70s reload, amazing manouver skills...

Blyskawica - well, i'am Polish origin, i've heard amazing things about that ship, but i've seen posts that it was nerfed some time ago, so i don't know how good Blysk is at the moment.

Any advice will be really appreciated.

Thanks

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,488 posts
6,713 battles

Get the murmansk.... I don't think you're ready for tier 6 or 7 yet, so stick to tier 5 for the moment.

Murmansk is an awesome ship with a relatively long range guns, and terrifying fire potential. It's also very manouverable, as it's able to shift its rudder faster than some destroyers.

It also has 8km torpedoes which makes it one of the best cruiser torps at that tier

• Cool 1

[CAIN]
Players
2,794 posts
11,013 battles

Agreed.

Get Murmansk and get a 10 point RU captain from one of the operations.

Murmansk has a terrifying gun battery, a spotter plane which helps to get shots to targets further away. 

It's the best premium TV cruiser and if you keep her at range, you can survive quite a number of shells.

Her torps are quite useful for ambushing ships around an island or when you rush BBs.

• Cool 1

Players
3,772 posts
7,464 battles

Honest answer is don't buy anything, just play the silver ships and get some more experience.

Premium ships really come into their own when you're using them to support higher tier silver ships either by generating credits or training/re-training captains, neither or which matter that greatly until about T7+  .Blys and DdA struggle because they're not part of a tech tree, Murmansk might be good if you want to play the Soviet CA or DD lines.

T-61 (KM T6 DD) will be in the shops soon and might be good if you want to progress the KM DD/CA line, HMS Gallant is another T6 DD that would work well if you want to play the RN CL line (and RN DD will likely come some time next year), finally there's a pan-Asian DD line due shortly so Anshan might be worth a look at.

There's surprisingly few lower tier premium CA/DD in the game.

Edit:

One final thought, WG will likely have some kind of christmas/NY give-away mission, (Graf Spee was last year's prize), maybe wait to see what that is before making a decision.

Players
2,170 posts

From your list, please bear in mind that Graf Spee plays more like a battleship than a cruiser. It has good torps, but it needs a more battleship style of play.

I'd suggest Leningrad as a nice DD to play with good torps, but dropping into T7 may not be a fabulous idea, I don't know what tier ships you usually play, but with 273 battles listed I suspect it's too early for you to go that high. As a Pole you may have reasons to avoid the RU ships too.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
889 posts
8,387 battles
45 minutes ago, ste100 said:

Hi everyone

I would like to buy my first premium ship. Been thinking for some time and really cannot decide what to buy...

I don't want to spend much money, Battleships are not an option as i hate to play them.

First - i just would like to make extra credits + xp; at the moment i am struggling a lot with money and xp; i have probably too many ships and i am quite average player;

Second - i love Destroyers -  torpedo attacks on enemies, preferrably from distance /minimum 7-8km/ and run, support cruisers and battleships etc

Third - i also really like quick Cruisers - attacks from distance, put some torpedoes in the water and go somewhere else to help etc.

Graf Spee - i know, it's slow - and low rate of fire - but has good quick torpedoes, and his guns can make miracles against other cruisers. Other thing is - it is beautiful and has history...

Duca d'Aosta - perfect for hit and run tactic, amazing (12km!) but slow torpedoes - only 70s reload, amazing manouver skills...

Blyskawica - well, i'am Polish origin, i've heard amazing things about that ship, but i've seen posts that it was nerfed some time ago, so i don't know how good Blysk is at the moment.

Thanks

For me Duca and Blyska are solid choices for your playstyle.

The only downside is that you dont have a tech tree for those particular nations (for Italy that will change rather soonish).

Blyska was hit rather hard with the invisi-fire-in-the-open nerf but that is rather old news now and it still is a good tier 7 destroyer.

Graf Spee I wouldnt recommend really.

Cheers

Players
4,085 posts
7,042 battles
49 minutes ago, ste100 said:

Katori is worth to look into. Also, since many suggested the T5 Murmansk - bear in mind that T5 ships tend to have horrible matchmaking. You will face T7 often, including CVs that you have no fightingchance against. In the hands of an experianced player - Murmansk is a superb ship. Its a glass-cannon tho. Dont take it the wrong, but I dont think that right now its the right ship for you.

[HU5AR]
Players
37 posts
405 battles

Thank you all.

I mean, i've been lookin on Murmansk before, has really great torpedoes and speed, but this is only Tier V, so i am not convinced about an income. As i said, i am really struggling with the money; i have already some ships ready to unlock but got no money to buy them. I am doing no more than 20-35k per battle "good" battle - with 2-3 enemies destroyed + a lot of damage.

I don't think i got any real issues as a Pole to buy Russian ships , but the thing is i am focused only on German and Japanese Destroyers, so i will not use advantage of training captain's on that ship.

It's fine, i know i am very average player who need to learn a lot; at the beginning i was thinking i am not so bad, but when i saw what kind of things people are doing on my level, how much money, xp and damage - i was starting to think "what i am doing here"...

Still looking for my perfect ship, at the moment i got best results on V-170, recently started to learn how to play on T-22.

[CAIN]
Players
2,794 posts
11,013 battles
4 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Katori is worth to look into. Also, since many suggested the T5 Murmansk - bear in mind that T5 ships tend to have horrible matchmaking. You will face T7 often, including CVs that you have no fightingchance against. In the hands of an experianced player - Murmansk is a superb ship. Its a glass-cannon tho. Dont take it the wrong, but I dont think that right now its the right ship for you.

That's true.

She is squishy, has no noticeable AA and is not for beginners.

Maybe OP should grind Phoenix/ Omaha before buying the Murmansk and see if the playstyle fits him.

Beta Tester
2,590 posts
3,520 battles
6 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

To be fair, with the speed and gun range the Murmansk is one of the better cruisers to be in when that t5mm bites you in the fantail..

Would say Bertin is even better, personally, but that's not a premium ship.

Players
4,085 posts
7,042 battles
10 minutes ago, ste100 said:

As i said, i am really struggling with the money; i have already some ships ready to unlock but got no money to buy them.

Higher tier doesnt mean better income, can be quite the opposite actually. Missouri is known to be credit-machine, but you need to do high damage aswell... I personally dont care so much which ships makes the most credit, so I cant help you much on that instance. Just fyi - Economy on higher tiers often leave you with a negativ result, if you dont perform really good - even doing avarage you´ll lose credits - talking regular ships in general here.

8 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Maybe OP should grind Phoenix/ Omaha before buying the Murmansk and see if the playstyle fits him.

That is a very helpful comment. I actually urge you to do so aswell, @ste100, if you really plan to pick the Murmansk.

• Cool 1

Players
433 posts
8,913 battles

Just saying the Duca D'Aosta is not a long rage cruiser it is most effective at 10km and under, but you have to know when and were there is a safe situation to use it. Speed and agility are your survive-ability, but with regular tier 8 Match making it might not be good for you with so few battles. Personally it would be my pick as it is one of my favorite cruisers to play but I have a lot of games in cruisers so I am used to playing with the rudder to dodge shells (might be why I'm not too keen on the Russian cruisers).

I would say get up a tech tree branch of at least the same level as the premium you are considering before buying as the game-play can be quite different.

Mind you the Duca D'Aosta isn't on sale that often so as WG have hinted that a line will be coming next year possibly for the Italians it might be worth preparing for it.

Just putting this out there, ever considered the Giulio Cesare BB at tier 5 it has good speed and maneuverability with accurate guns, down side is that any side to another BB will deal loads of damage in return, so it plays more like a heavy cruiser, and being a tier lower it might be more suitable.

[W-C]
2,488 posts
6,713 battles
20 minutes ago, ste100 said:

I mean, i've been lookin on Murmansk before, has really great torpedoes and speed, but this is only Tier V, so i am not convinced about an income. As i said, i am really struggling with the money;

I make between 200 and 300K of profit per match with my murmansk which means that if you can learn how to play it, you should be able to make at least 150K of pure profit each game. And believe me when I say that you're not ready for anything higher than tier 5 (yet). Those tiers are much more difficult to play and ships tend to get more expensive to maintain aswell. In the end you might end up constantly having bad games in higher tiers and therefore make even less money.

Another very good advice someone has mentioned is to get up to the omaha in the US CL line to see if you even like the playstyle. Murmansk is an omaha class ship so it plays very similarly, but the ship itself is much better than its american counterpart.

[BYOB]
Players
3,561 posts
13,720 battles

If you really want to make a profit you might consider grinding up to tier 6 in a cruiser line that you like, and go for a premium camo on a silver ship.

I make a boat load of money this way playing ops in a Cleveland. Alternatively you might consider getting a premium cruiser at tiers 5-6, but to be honest the only two choices that aren't complete glass cannons are the De Grasse and the Murmansk.

[FJAKA]
Players
1,991 posts
12,659 battles
1 hour ago, ste100 said:

Hi everyone

Thanks

Bly.....so question asked of all 3 you mentioned

[NWP]
Players
5,409 posts
6,798 battles

Maybe u should go for Premium Account if u dont have that already. And learn the game a bit more, especially mid/hightiers so u will know if its actually fun for u to play in those tiers. If u buy a ship with real money and u dont like how the highertiers are played, then it kinda sucks.

Beta Tester
2,590 posts
3,520 battles

Also, on second thought, any of the following would be really easy as a first premium to learn the "ropes" in: Oleg, K. Albert, Aurora, Emden.

EDIT: Nearly forgot the Ishizuchi.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
889 posts
8,387 battles
21 minutes ago, ste100 said:

but the thing is i am focused only on German Destroyers

Dude, then definetely wait for the T-61, the new German/Dutch destroyer coming, it is still work in progress but it seems sick as it is now (sick in a good way).

It is gonna be tier 6, so it is good your silver line grind is near that tier.

[BYOB]
Players
3,561 posts
13,720 battles
3 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Also, on second thought, any of the following would be really easy as a first premium to learn the "ropes" in: Oleg, K. Albert, Aurora, Emden.

EDIT: Nearly forgot the Ishizuchi.

Oleg - a silver Bogatyr with a well trained captain is better.  The appearance and the secondaries make it a good buy.

König Albert - great ship but it's a slow battleship with an even slower turret traverse.

Aurora - fun, but slow.

Emden - never played, so no idea.

Ishizuchi - has been powercreeped by the Orion. Still a fun BB.

From those five I can only recommend the Oleg. The Albert is good too but you need to like BBs.

Beta Tester
2,590 posts
3,520 battles
Just now, Aragathor said:

Oleg - a silver Bogatyr with a well trained captain is better.  The appearance and the secondaries make it a good buy.

König Albert - great ship but it's a slow battleship with an even slower turret traverse.

Aurora - fun, but slow.

Emden - never played, so no idea.

Ishizuchi - has been powercreeped by the Orion. Still a fun BB.

From those five I can only recommend the Oleg. The Albert is good too but you need to like BBs.

Emden is basically a premium Dresden, no surprise given that they were sisterships.

[HU5AR]
Players
37 posts
405 battles

So i have now 6k doubloons and no idea which ship should i buy.

At the moment i am closer to buy Murmansk, as Duca is not available for dubloons, and Blysk - well, i think i am not ready for Tier VII.

Of course it will be like a dream to fight against such legends as Bismarck or Scharnhorst, but it's not the right time for me...

Does anyone know what's happened with famous Kamikaze destroyer ? I read a lot topics about that ship and from that lecture i learn it could be perfect ship for my needs and playstyle.

Beta Tester
2,590 posts
3,520 battles
2 minutes ago, ste100 said:

So i have now 6k doubloons and no idea which ship should i buy.

At the moment i am closer to buy Murmansk, as Duca is not available for dubloons, and Blysk - well, i think i am not ready for Tier VII.

Of course it will be like a dream to fight against such legends as Bismarck or Scharnhorst, but it's not the right time for me...

Does anyone know what's happened with famous Kamikaze destroyer ? I read a lot topics about that ship i from that lecture i think it will be perfect ship for my needs and playstyle.

Never been on sale for doubloons as far as I know, only in the premium store.

[W-C]
2,488 posts
6,713 battles
4 minutes ago, ste100 said:

Does anyone know what's happened with famous Kamikaze destroyer ? I read a lot topics about that ship and from that lecture i learn it could be perfect ship for my needs and playstyle.

It's a hidden jewel that is hard to obtain but gives great benefits if acquired.... It's unlikely it will be put out for grabs again, but if it is, be sure to get it

[HU5AR]
Players
37 posts
405 battles
1 minute ago, lafeel said:

Never been on sale for doubloons as far as I know, only in the premium store.

Probably, but it's not available anymore it seems, same as many other ships i could have interest with.

Sign in to follow this